Is Med School really like High School all over again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please do a search; there is already at least one thread that address your question. I know because I remember seeing it recently.

Yeah, it's just like high school. We all fool around all day and we never do our homework. We cut class all the time, and when we get a substitute...forget about it! The jocks can be real a-holes. Last week in gym one of them stole my sneakers and I got detention for being unprepared. But me and my friends will have the last laugh when they can't match to good residencies! I hope I get a date to the prom!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's just like high school. We all fool around all day and we never do our homework. We cut class all the time, and when we get a substitute...forget about it! The jocks can be real a-holes. Last week in gym one of them stole my sneakers and I got detention for being unprepared. But me and my friends will have the last laugh when they can't match to good residencies! I hope I get a date to the prom!

I couldn't help but laugh after reading this. Med school is like high school in some regard, but overall it is a completely different experience.

Mine isn't at all. I think its a consequence of class compositions on any given year, your own personality and perception of your classmates, and how much you tend to involve yourself in drama.

It's VERY much like high school in a few ways.
First - the entire class takes all the same classes, at the same time of day, every day. Park your butt in the lecture hall at 8am, and watch while 3,4 or 5 different professors come in and change to the next subject. Then you all get some time for "lunch", and then you all go to assigned lab sessions for the rest of the afternoon. So yah - seeing the same people for hours a day. Every day.
I don't know what that does to kids, but it brings out the high school behaviour, that's all I can say. Often I'm disappointed to realize my classmates seem to have no concept of the fact that they are in professional school now, and like - different behaviour & mentality goes with it.
It might be more so since I am at a state school, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Sweet, I get to beat up all the scrawny kids for their lunch money again! Hey, maybe I can get someone to take my tests for me too. Med school is gonna ****in' kick ***!

First - the entire class takes all the same classes, at the same time of day, every day. Park your butt in the lecture hall at 8am, and watch while 3,4 or 5 different professors come in and change to the next subject. Then you all get some time for "lunch", and then you all go to assigned lab sessions for the rest of the afternoon. So yah - seeing the same people for hours a day. Every day.
I don't know what that does to kids, but it brings out the high school behaviour, that's all I can say. Often I'm disappointed to realize my classmates seem to have no concept of the fact that they are in professional school now, and like - different behaviour & mentality goes with it.
It might be more so since I am at a state school, but I don't know if that's true or not.

My experience of medical school, at least first year, is very similar to yours.

that's definitely the first year schedule at a lot of med schools, but i don't really know any high schools where you sit in one room with the same people taking the same classes at the same time. in my high school, teachers had their own room, and each period we moved from room to room and different people were in different classes at different times. we even had three lunch times. that was pretty much the experience of most of my friends' high schools as well.

i think med school IS just like high school, but not so much for the class structure, just the social politics of it all. there's the cool cliques, the kids who do nothing but study, the drunks who party every night of the week - there's a "prom" of some sort at most high schools, a bunch of clubs to join, lots of short-lived relationships and a handful of long-term couples. and, just like high school, you figure out where you fit in, make a handful of friends, forget about the rest and you get through it and maybe have some fun along the way.

It is true or am I just completely off? :):(:oops::D;):p:cool::rolleyes::mad::eek:

Yes. There were seriously over 50,000 students at my undergrad so I knew only a handful of them. I know everyone in my med school class (to an extent) and a good chunk of the the two classes ahead of me. Everyone gossips like it was high school, and it is also very clique'y just like it probably was in high school. The main difference is that I didn't have to do anything in high school to get straight As and now I have to study

that's definitely the first year schedule at a lot of med schools, but i don't really know any high schools where you sit in one room with the same people taking the same classes at the same time. in my high school, teachers had their own room, and each period we moved from room to room and different people were in different classes at different times. we even had three lunch times. that was pretty much the experience of most of my friends' high schools as well.

That was true for mine, too. I just didn't want to say, "Actually, it is more like elementary school"!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a little tired of the ***** guys who giggle every time a professor mentions a word like "menstruation" (we were talking about TSS, after all).

Where did you guys go to high school? Med school is absolutely nothing like high school. You have a few immature classmates, that's all.

Work load - not like high school
Free time - not like high school
Responsibility - not like high school
Living situation - not like high school
Classes/class structure - not like high school
Social scene - not like high school
Number of students - I guess this could be similar.

Let me know if I left something out.

Where did you guys go to high school? Med school is absolutely nothing like high school. You have a few immature classmates, that's all.

Work load - not like high school
Free time - not like high school
Responsibility - not like high school
Living situation - not like high school
Classes/class structure - not like high school
Social scene - not like high school
Number of students - I guess this could be similar.

Let me know if I left something out.

You forgot the drama. I'm guessing you go to a fairly large school or don't hang out with your classmates a lot. My class is only 100 and the amount of gossip, drama, etc is huge! Everyone knows everyone's business - there are 4 couples in the class and I am DREADING when one of them breaks up. I mean don't get me wrong, I like my classmates - but when you spend that much time about the same people - "immaturity" does come out. No matter what age or education level you are. Cliques form, gossip circulates. Its human nature.

I don't hang out with people much in my class and the gossip still gets to me - and some of the drama. I'm told the drama within cliques is much much worse.

You forgot the drama. I'm guessing you go to a fairly large school or don't hang out with your classmates a lot. My class is only 100 and the amount of gossip, drama, etc is huge! Everyone knows everyone's business - there are 4 couples in the class and I am DREADING when one of them breaks up. I mean don't get me wrong, I like my classmates - but when you spend that much time about the same people - "immaturity" does come out. No matter what age or education level you are. Cliques form, gossip circulates. Its human nature.

I don't hang out with people much in my class and the gossip still gets to me - and some of the drama. I'm told the drama within cliques is much much worse.

We are 170. Maybe I just got lucky, but the quality of my class seems pretty high. There are some groups of friends (I wouldn't call them cliques, because they are not at all exclusive). There are a few couples and a bit of gossip, but most everybody seems too busy to really care about drama.

Gossip is more like:
Did you hear X and Y hooked up?
No, that's cool.
Yeah, want to go to the library?
Ok.

Overall I think people are pretty mature. We all get along really well, and we all spend a lot of time together inside and outside of the classroom.

We are 170. Maybe I just got lucky, but the quality of my class seems pretty high. There are some groups of friends (I wouldn't call them cliques, because they are not at all exclusive). There are a few couples and a bit of gossip, but most everybody seems too busy to really care about drama.

Gossip is more like:
Did you hear X and Y hooked up?
No, that's cool.
Yeah, want to go to the library?
Ok.

Overall I think people are pretty mature. We all get along really well, and we all spend a lot of time together inside and outside of the classroom.
Honestly I think part of that is the size of your class. 170 people is really different from a lot of schools who are closer to 100. You don't know everyone as well and there is less likely to be gossip.

I mean I love my classmates, I think they're incredible people - there is still drama. Mature or not, smart or not - drama is an unfortunate truth of human nature. Hell, walk into a small office full of 30-60 somethings and there will still be drama.

Lucky you. There were about 600 people in my class and many were obnoxious, self-centered, and shallow. That's why I'm sooo glad I'm in college now.

I'm talking about my med school classmates not my high school ones.

It is true or am I just completely off?

Is that your med school class right there? Let's break it down and compare high school class vs. a med school class:

The super positive person, typically a girl, overly sensitive, shy, but very nice, almost to the point where it's annoying. Very attractive. Probably religious. Usually one (and only one) in every med school class. CHECK.

The depressed gamer nerd who stays awake til 4am every night trying to pwn the n00bs. Oh yeah, you'll find some in med school. CHECK.

Extremely sleep-deprived and hanging-on-by-a-thread overachiever. This will be 25% of your med school classmates. CHECK.

The class clown/prankster. Five or so boys will attempt to take on this role in the beginning of your med school Year 1, with only one of them dominating by the end of Year 1, responsible for all the funny emails and politically incorrect comments in class. The rest are just trying too hard. CHECK.

The flirt. Girl may or may NOT exist in your med school class. Put this in the MAYBE column.

The goody-two-shoes. Always in class on time, sits in the front row, smiling, asks lots of questions. Yep, there will be 2 or 3 in your med school class. They may drive you nuts. CHECK.

The stud. Probably smokes weed, goes to the gym 8 days a week, plasters his bedroom wall with Heidi Klum posters, and wants to specialize in ortho. Oh yeah. Definitely in your med school class in multiples. I think every medical school must have a 3-5% quota for this kind. CHECK.

The weird sarcastic bastard/bastardess. Usually they are not popular in high school but popular in med school... weird. Usually the Class Clown alternates fill this role. CHECK.

Drama queen. Never looks happy. Ever. You will find one in your med school class, I promise. CHECK.

Mr. or Mrs. Drinks til he/she Pukes every time. Like the Class Clown, usually gets filled by one and ONLY one person by the end of Year 1. A guaranteed staple in every med school class. CHECK.

-----

That's 9 CHECKS and 1 MAYBE out of 10 total. Damn, that's awfully close.

Is that your med school class right there? Let's break it down and compare high school class vs. a med school class:

The super positive person, typically a girl, overly sensitive, shy, but very nice, almost to the point where it's annoying. Very attractive. Probably religious. Usually one (and only one) in every med school class. CHECK.

The depressed gamer nerd who stays awake til 4am every night trying to pwn the n00bs. Oh yeah, you'll find some in med school. CHECK.

Extremely sleep-deprived and hanging-on-by-a-thread overachiever. This will be 25% of your med school classmates. CHECK.

The class clown/prankster. Five or so boys will attempt to take on this role in the beginning of your med school Year 1, with only one of them dominating by the end of Year 1, responsible for all the funny emails and politically incorrect comments in class. The rest are just trying too hard. CHECK.

The flirt. Girl may or may NOT exist in your med school class. Put this in the MAYBE column.

The goody-two-shoes. Always in class on time, sits in the front row, smiling, asks lots of questions. Yep, there will be 2 or 3 in your med school class. They may drive you nuts. CHECK.

The stud. Probably smokes weed, goes to the gym 8 days a week, plasters his bedroom wall with Heidi Klum posters, and wants to specialize in ortho. Oh yeah. Definitely in your med school class in multiples. I think every medical school must have a 3-5% quota for this kind. CHECK.

The weird sarcastic bastard/bastardess. Usually they are not popular in high school but popular in med school... weird. Usually the Class Clown alternates fill this role. CHECK.

Drama queen. Never looks happy. Ever. You will find one in your med school class, I promise. CHECK.

Mr. or Mrs. Drinks til he/she Pukes every time. Like the Class Clown, usually gets filled by one and ONLY one person by the end of Year 1. A guaranteed staple in every med school class. CHECK.

Bravo. Really, just... bravo.

-----

I'm just trying to decide who in my class fits all of these now...

More on the 10 stereotypes/quotas listed above:

Relationships
Here is where you will start to see a difference in the sexual tension / relationships in high school vs. med school.

Most common and juiciest high school relationships:

1. :cool: + ;)
2. :cool: + :) (usually makes the teachers and parents very uneasy...)
3. :cool: + :oops:
4. :cool: + :eek:
5. :eek: + :eek: (often short-lived)

Most likely relationship combos in med school:

1. :) + :p
2. :cool: + 20 people
3. :rolleyes: + :rolleyes:
4. :oops: + :oops:
5. :( + :mad: (omg, ew...)

Hierarchy
As a particular stereotype, this is where you stand in the social ladder:

High School:

:cool: = ;) = :D > :oops: = :eek: > :mad: = :) > :rolleyes: > > > > > :( = :p

Med School:

:oops: = :D > > > > all the others

People who use emoticons = :(

Nay. I'm in bed by 11:30 most nights and touch a video game about once every 6 months.

You forgot to make your reply funny. Better luck next time.

-----

For all you incoming M1s, heed this list. It's uncannily accurate. That and don't forget:

The "ethnic". Usually only associates with other minorities and tries to either act cool in his own way or aloof. Tends to associate with other minorities only. More commonly seen in schools on the coasts or top tier private schools.

For all you incoming M1s, heed this list. It's uncannily accurate. That and don't forget:

The "ethnic". Usually only associates with other minorities and tries to either act cool in his own way or aloof. Tends to associate with other minorities only. More commonly seen in schools on the coasts or top tier private schools.

Ohhh yes, don't forget that they turn everything into a racial issue, love to have "debates" about racial issues and always bring any disagreement back to "white people just aren't aware about ________"

Ohhh yes, don't forget that they turn everything into a racial issue, love to have "debates" about racial issues and always bring any disagreement back to "white people just aren't aware about ________"

:puts on his white sheet:...let's ride fellow racist SDNers! But sadly, this stereotype is true to some degree or otherwise it wouldn't exist. I actually had a prof. who fit this profile (she taught 18th century African American Literature). She ended up failing the whole class on a group project addressing whether or not blacks should receive reparations in today's society. The entire class pretty much came to the same conclusion of no (even the Africian American students)...ahh memories.

More commonly seen in schools on the coasts or top tier private schools.

I'm at neither but know exactly that person in my class - it probably also applies to students who are FROM the coasts.

Ditto on the "ethnic" stereotype med student.

Oh, and there's more:

11.) :confused:
Med student who always seems overwhelmed, lost, and confused. Usually a 5th wheel on one of the cooler cliques in the class.

12.) :scared:
The Starbucks addicts. For the love of God, please chill out with the 7 mochafrappecinograndelattes per hour. And no need for the 10 shots of espresso before group meetings. Seriously.

13.) :sleep:
May or may not have one in your class... sleeps during many lectures, yet awake at all the parties... surprise surprise.

14.) :laugh:
A tag along of the Class Clown who laughs at all their jokes. Can't walk more than 10 feet without someone next to them. Never leads ANYTHING.

15.) :love:
Facebook *****. Whether during lecture, lab, exams, or midnight in the library, this student is always checking out who wrote on their wall, the scandalous photos from last week's party, or who switched from "Liberal" to "Moderate" ZOMG. Has 1,712 'Friends' on Facebook, and has met almost a whopping 200 of them.

16.) :luck:
You never see this jerk studying. EVER. He never goes to class. EVER. Yet Honors every class every time.

Oh man. This thread is hilarious. Good to know that med school would have been the same, no matter which school I chose. I wonder which one I am? How about an emoticon for "slightly older non-trad who truly enjoys hanging out with her classmates, but is often floored by their obliviousness, gossiping, sense of entitlement, and general lack of emotional/mental maturity and financial/other responsibility?" That would probably be similar to the :rolleyes: icon?

Oh man. This thread is hilarious. Good to know that med school would have been the same, no matter which school I chose. I wonder which one I am? How about an emoticon for "slightly older non-trad who truly enjoys hanging out with her classmates, but is often floored by their obliviousness, gossiping, sense of entitlement, and general lack of emotional/mental maturity and financial/other responsibility?" That would probably be similar to the :rolleyes: icon?

:corny:

Because it's like being a spectator sometimes.

Don't forget the girl who dresses up like she's going out to a club, when in fact she's just headed to the library. Today, her skirt is clingy enough that you can see what she is(n't) wearing underneath.

I'm the "married guy who hangs out with the other married guys" guy. :D But I do stay up late sometimes pwning n00bs in Call of Duty 4.

Honestly I think part of that is the size of your class. 170 people is really different from a lot of schools who are closer to 100. You don't know everyone as well and there is less likely to be gossip.
Our class size is about identical to yours, alwaysaangel, and the drama has been refreshingly light up here. I think it varies as much by school as by class size.

And I reckon it probably varies a lot by individual class as well. I know that the class ahead of us has a very different personality than ours. And all you need is four or five folks who really get off on drama to stir the pot and turn the place into a gossip mill. Hasn't happened much here for our class. Thank god.

Nope, it's quite different from High School ... for me anyway. People seem a lot more mature and friendly. If all the memorization and other work doesn't bother you, it's pretty nice, actually. Everyone has fun in their own way and stays out of trouble as far as I can tell.

Do you want it to be like high school? It will be. Don't want it to be? It won't be. Pretty much up to you.

I'm a combination of the sleep deprived overachiever and sarcastic bastardess.:cool:

i wonder if Sho Yano ever posts at SDN or does he even have an SDN account?

:p

1. The chick that's always smiling and laughing about everything. Everything. Abruptio placentae? Laughs. Herpes primary encephalitis? Laughs. A-fib. Yup, that's funny too. Always smiling, always happy. Man, I hate those people.

2. The social ******. This is a toddler wearing a medical school uniform. No built in comprehension of prosody or social graces. 100% guaranteed to insult at least one person/small group session regularly.

3. The nerd. This is the guy snickering with "nerdy glee" as a new motherboard hits the market, or Intel announces yet another processor. The guy who loves his anime and just can't hide the fact that, well, liquid flow models of non-ideal fluids in confined spaces is just the coolest thing ever. Why are you reading this in lecture? Why are you constantly badgering me to have a look? I don't care. I have to change seats...

4. The invisible. True story. This was month 6 of a 10 month anatomy course. Me: "Hey buddy, am I in the wrong group? I've never seen you here before."
Him: "No, I just haven't been coming."
Never saw him again. Poof....up in smoke...

Don't forget the girl who dresses up like she's going out to a club, when in fact she's just headed to the library. Today, her skirt is clingy enough that you can see what she is(n't) wearing underneath.

I'm the "married guy who hangs out with the other married guys" guy. :D But I do stay up late sometimes pwning n00bs in Call of Duty 4.

Spend time with men that are married, or spend time with men that are single? I can't stand spending a lot of time with men that are single. All they do is talk about how hot or not hot this and that girl is and how badly they want to bang the girl. Instead I enjoy the enjoyment of talking about sports, life issues, and careers with the married guys.

Do you want it to be like high school? It will be. Don't want it to be? It won't be. Pretty much up to you.

Agree. Keep it simple, man, keep it simple. You are in medical school to become a doctor, not to be the cool or popular person on campus (god I hated high school). Don't want to be invovled in drama? Then do let the drama get to you. If some immature prick starts rumors about you, just ignore them and keep doing what is important.

I had a really immature classmate (god I hated her) that I was stuck taking classes with for 4 years (in undergrad). I just couldn't get ride of this girl. So I just started to ignore her and didn't give a crap about her and she eventually stoped starting rumors and so forth. By the time I graduated she was a mess. She couldn't handle the fact that I was graduating and was going to start good jobs. Instead she was b'ing about how bad her life was (sorry, didn't care).

1. The chick that's always smiling and laughing about everything. Everything. Abruptio placentae? Laughs. Herpes primary encephalitis? Laughs. A-fib. Yup, that's funny too. Always smiling, always happy. Man, I hate those people.

2. The social ******. This is a toddler wearing a medical school uniform. No built in comprehension of prosody or social graces. 100% guaranteed to insult at least one person/small group session regularly.

3. The nerd. This is the guy snickering with "nerdy glee" as a new motherboard hits the market, or Intel announces yet another processor. The guy who loves his anime and just can't hide the fact that, well, liquid flow models of non-ideal fluids in confined spaces is just the coolest thing ever. Why are you reading this in lecture? Why are you constantly badgering me to have a look? I don't care. I have to change seats...

4. The invisible. True story. This was month 6 of a 10 month anatomy course. Me: "Hey buddy, am I in the wrong group? I've never seen you here before."
Him: "No, I just haven't been coming."
Never saw him again. Poof....up in smoke...

#1 and 4s are funny... and kinda weird, especially the invisible person:laugh:

This is hilarious, do you know me!?!