Is Med School really like High School all over again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Spend time with men that are married, or spend time with men that are single? I can't stand spending a lot of time with men that are single. All they do is talk about how hot or not hot this and that girl is and how badly they want to bang the girl. Instead I enjoy the enjoyment of talking about sports, life issues, and careers with the married guys.

You and I are two of a kind, it seems.

I remember once in Anatomy where my lab partner was bemoaning his lack of a date, and then to cap it off, claimed that I must be worse off- I never even mentioned dating!

I just held up my left hand and smiled. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I felt undergrad was a different experience socially than high school - more pleasant, mature, and rational - so I hope med school is more like undergrad.

Now that I think about it, if med school turns out to be anything like high school I'm going to be really pissed off, and I didn't even have it that bad in high school (typical high school sports guy)

I felt undergrad was a different experience socially than high school - more pleasant, mature, and rational - so I hope med school is more like undergrad.

Now that I think about it, if med school turns out to be anything like high school I'm going to be really pissed off, and I didn't even have it that bad in high school (typical high school sports guy)

Prepare to be pissed off then :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Spend time with men that are married, or spend time with men that are single? I can't stand spending a lot of time with men that are single. All they do is talk about how hot or not hot this and that girl is and how badly they want to bang the girl. Instead I enjoy the enjoyment of talking about sports, life issues, and careers with the married guys.

Now this is just silly. A tool is a tool, married or single. Some of the most desperately perverted, eating-lunch-at-Hooters-5-days-a-week guys I've met have been married. Heck, Hooter's and strip clubs in general seem to market directly to the undersexed married man.

I don't think it's like high school at all. People who wax histrionic about how much "drama" there is and how everyone gossips and how it's like high school are the people who involve themselves in that stuff. Make some good friends who have similar interests/attitudes to you, choose your romances wisely, and be a generally good & friendly person and do your best not to get sucked into the drama some people try to create. If you're an adult, have your priorities straight, and don't want to get involved in that scene you won't.

YES! The lowest point of med school was someone massmailing a list of all the classmates who have sodomized me during med school to everyone in class. :(

I don't think it's like high school at all. People who wax histrionic about how much "drama" there is and how everyone gossips and how it's like high school are the people who involve themselves in that stuff. Make some good friends who have similar interests/attitudes to you, choose your romances wisely, and be a generally good & friendly person and do your best not to get sucked into the drama some people try to create. If you're an adult, have your priorities straight, and don't want to get involved in that scene you won't.

This is true to a point. You can avoid the drama yourself but it still exists. You could avoid the drama in HS but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

For the poor souls who have decided to date classmates its almost impossible for them to stay under the gossip radar. Most people live with fellow med students and the word gets out and no matter how hard they try - they become part of the gossip mill as a class couple.

There are certain aspects of the high school mentality that occurs when you're in a small group like med school that are completely unavoidable no matter how hard you try.

YES! The lowest point of med school was someone massmailing a list of all the classmates who have sodomized me during med school to everyone in class. :(

Wow....how many people did you let sodomize you...?

This is true to a point. You can avoid the drama yourself but it still exists. You could avoid the drama in HS but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

For the poor souls who have decided to date classmates its almost impossible for them to stay under the gossip radar. Most people live with fellow med students and the word gets out and no matter how hard they try - they become part of the gossip mill as a class couple.

There are certain aspects of the high school mentality that occurs when you're in a small group like med school that are completely unavoidable no matter how hard you try.

I don't know...I dated someone in my med school and it wasn't a big deal at all. I mean if you're sleeping around in your class, then yeah, that's going to be gossip - don't be surprised. Frankly I don't think you should be doing anything that you'd be upset if it "got out". So choose your romances wisely. And what goes around comes around. Establish yourself as a person of character and integrity and people won't pin gossip on you as much. I guess my point is that for the most part, you can be above it all and it doesn't really affect you.

This concept applies to things other than romance as well. A list of advice for incoming M1's:
1) Don't tell people you want some competitive specialty. You'll save yourself criticism later if you change your mind or end up not being competitive for it.
2) Be friendly when people talk to you. It's fine to be solitary and hardcore or somewhat unapproachable (to avoid distraction or something) when you're in the library or in class or something, but when people do talk to you, be surprisingly friendly, pleasant, and nice. It goes a long way.
3) Share your study guides, notes, etc.! Honestly, it can do a lot to say you're a nice guy. Even once. If you make something awesome, be really cool, laid-back, and humble about giving it out to people and people will appreciate it and know you as a classmate rather than a competitor. People don't like gunners. Even gunners don't like gunners.

I will say that some amount of involvement in drama or gossip is pretty much unavoidable, as you said. People will know your business to some extent, so keep your ducks in a row to the extent that you care to.

I don't know...I dated someone in my med school and it wasn't a big deal at all. I mean if you're sleeping around in your class, then yeah, that's going to be gossip - don't be surprised. Frankly I don't think you should be doing anything that you'd be upset if it "got out". So choose your romances wisely. And what goes around comes around. Establish yourself as a person of character and integrity and people won't pin gossip on you as much. I guess my point is that for the most part, you can be above it all and it doesn't really affect you.

This concept applies to things other than romance as well. A list of advice for incoming M1's:
1) Don't tell people you want some competitive specialty. You'll save yourself criticism later if you change your mind or end up not being competitive for it.
2) Be friendly when people talk to you. It's fine to be solitary and hardcore or somewhat unapproachable (to avoid distraction or something) when you're in the library or in class or something, but when people do talk to you, be surprisingly friendly, pleasant, and nice. It goes a long way.
3) Share your study guides, notes, etc.! Honestly, it can do a lot to say you're a nice guy. Even once. If you make something awesome, be really cool, laid-back, and humble about giving it out to people and people will appreciate it and know you as a classmate rather than a competitor. People don't like gunners. Even gunners don't like gunners.

I will say that some amount of involvement in drama or gossip is pretty much unavoidable, as you said. People will know your business to some extent, so keep your ducks in a row to the extent that you care to.

Eh. I don't date people in my class, to me its mixing business with pleasure and asking for trouble but at the same time I feel bad for those who have to deal with it. I mean when you're coming into a class full of people you don't know its kind of hard to "choose your roommates wisely."

I just feel bad for those who have to deal with it simply because they found someone they liked. But I'm a very private person and find all forms of gossip pretty annoying. And maybe its because there are only 100 people in my class but everytime there is a new couple it is talked about fairly extensively.

But anyway my point is - putting yourself above it or not, not letting it affect you or not. The gossip and drama IS still there and it IS like high school in that respect. Whether or not that effects you is beside the point. The mass mentality and immaturity that comes from being in a small group where everyone knows everyone is present.

Eh. I don't date people in my class, to me its mixing business with pleasure and asking for trouble but at the same time I feel bad for those who have to deal with it. I mean when you're coming into a class full of people you don't know its kind of hard to "choose your roommates wisely."

I just feel bad for those who have to deal with it simply because they found someone they liked. But I'm a very private person and find all forms of gossip pretty annoying. And maybe its because there are only 100 people in my class but everytime there is a new couple it is talked about fairly extensively.

But anyway my point is - putting yourself above it or not, not letting it affect you or not. The gossip and drama IS still there and it IS like high school in that respect. Whether or not that effects you is beside the point. The mass mentality and immaturity that comes from being in a small group where everyone knows everyone is present.

Can't we just agree that I'm right and you're wrong? I think that's the take home message.

Can't we just agree that I'm right and you're wrong? I think that's the take home message.

I'm kidding of course. I think we're both right to an extent, reflecting accurately on slightly different perspectives, which is all we can do. She's giving good advice.

I'm kidding of course. I think we're both right to an extent, reflecting accurately on slightly different perspectives, which is all we can do. She's giving good advice.

Actually you are WAY more right than he is! Stick to your guns as you are wise beyond your years!

Nay. I'm in bed by 11:30 most nights and touch a video game about once every 6 months.

You forgot to make your reply funny. Better luck next time.

so then I guess you're a :rolleyes: right?
lol j/k awesome posts! I laughed a lot reading it.