false D in o-chem and AB in retake, what will adcoms do?

Started by UT8305
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UT8305

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need to know what adcoms wil do in my case, I took O-chem one fall semester and I fell sick and was hospitalized for the remaining of the semester, and my professor didn't let me write the final exam (exam 4) and the acutal final that was i think 30% of my grade, so he gave me a D (at least), so I retook his class again in the summer and got an AB, but in reality it isn't my fault that I got a D the first time, and I know Adcoms might go on and average this grade, my science GPA is already 3.28 (with the AB counted only) how do i tell adcoms what happened and even if i explain to them what happened will they still go on and average my grade, the professor was seriously an ******* and i could've achieved the same grade if he let me write the final, but how do i let the adcoms know in a way that they can be sensitive to it?
 
The only thing you can really do is explain the situation in the 'do you have anything to add' section on your apps. perhaps if you could get a letter from your prof explaining that you were not allowed to take your final despite your illness, the adcoms might be more prone to believing your story.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only thing you can really do is explain the situation in the 'do you have anything to add' section on your apps. perhaps if you could get a letter from your prof explaining that you were not allowed to take your final despite your illness, the adcoms might be more prone to believing your story.
Right. Basically, this is what the explanation section is for. Unfortunately yes, it will still be averaged out by the schools.

I sort of cracked up at the thought of the second part. I would love a teacher to admit to doing that. It would make him/her look so awful. You could probably take that letter to a head official in the school and mark their reputation. But what the hell.
 
Have you tried contacting the head of your department or the registrar in an attempt to get the grade changed to a "W"? If this medical condition precluded you from full participation in the course, they should have offered a medical withdrawal. I know that grades can be changed retrospectively at my undergraduate institution, but you may have to get adequate documentation to prove your case if it was a while ago.

If that doesn't work, you will definitely need to explain this on your app, and the D will factor into your AMCAS GPA.
 
Right. Basically, this is what the explanation section is for. Unfortunately yes, it will still be averaged out by the schools.

I sort of cracked up at the thought of the second part. I would love a teacher to admit to doing that. It would make him/her look so awful. You could probably take that letter to a head official in the school and mark their reputation. But what the hell.

yeah it's unlikely that would ever happen.
but it's also unlikely that a school wouldn't give W to someone who was hospitalized...
 
well what if I get a record from the hospital and send it to the schools or something, and also mention it in my personal statement, I really dont want this to screw me over and now panicing, I was doing well in the class until I got sick, my grade got replaced on my transcrip but now i dont know what to do, i feel hopeless if adcoms still are going to average it out.
 
Yes, I think the "W" marking can indeed happen. Or at least it morally should (not that that matters). I would definitely go ahead and take this matter to a higher power in the school.

As a matter of fact, your teacher should have a detailed record of your progress in their class. So with that, you can prove the theory that you were a good student who fell on hard times. This is if things get nasty and they don't believe you.

By the way, if things get nasty, introduce them to me. I'm related to Chuck Norris.