At what point do "deficiencies" need to be addressed in secondaries/supplementals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

itsgonnabemed

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! This question was prompted by PCOM's optional "Use this space to address any identified deficiencies in your application" question, but I expect many other MD and DO schools will have similar questions in their secondaries.

At what point is it necessary to address a deficiency? The weakest part of my application is definitely my GPA-- I've gotten 3 Cs but have managed to pull it up to a c3.65/s3.58 with mostly As in my last two years of college. Are the Cs worth addressing at any point or would it unnecessarily draw attention to them?

Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You need to prepare yourself to answer such questions about the perceived weaknesses in your application. Why did you get those C's?
I was struggling with depression and so didn’t take my classes as seriously as I should’ve. The thing is, my Cs were in non-consecutive semesters (freshman spring and sophomore spring) which I feel like complicates things.

Since mental health is a sensitive topic, I feel like all I would be able to say as explanation is “I was immature and my study habits were ineffective for the rigors of college.” Would this be acceptable, and should I still not bring those grades up in secondaries unless explicitly mandated? Thank you for your perspective!
 
At what point is it necessary to address a deficiency? The weakest part of my application is definitely my GPA-- I've gotten 3 Cs but have managed to pull it up to a c3.65/s3.58 with mostly As in my last two years of college.
When you're asked about them.
Are the Cs worth addressing at any point or would it unnecessarily draw attention to them?
Never draw attention to negative.
Secondaries are not places to be apologizing for bad grades.
 
Since mental health is a sensitive topic, I feel like all I would be able to say as explanation is “I was immature and my study habits were ineffective for the rigors of college.” Would this be acceptable, and should I still not bring those grades up in secondaries unless explicitly mandated? Thank you for your perspective!
Most of us interviewers want honest, authentic answers, with as little spin or cliche as possible. If you say your study habits were ineffective, tell us what you did and how you changed them.

Yes, answer about your C's when explicitly asked.
 
Most of us interviewers want honest, authentic answers, with as little spin or cliche as possible. If you say your study habits were ineffective, tell us what you did and how you changed them.

Yes, answer about your C's when explicitly asked.
Would you say being asked about inconsistencies in secondaries counts as being explicitly asked? I'm just worried (perhaps neurotically) that an adcom would see I chose not to answer and question whether I'm reflective of my weaknesses. Thank you for your time!
 
Would you say being asked about inconsistencies in secondaries counts as being explicitly asked? I'm just worried (perhaps neurotically) that an adcom would see I chose not to answer and question whether I'm reflective of my weaknesses. Thank you for your time!
At Harvard (based upon interview feedback), people have been asked about a C grade.
What's up with that C in Organic Chemistry?

For me, a lone F in a see of As telegraphs someone might have cheated and got the F as a punishment.