Chances? 29n(10B 10 P9V) 3.3sGPA 3.43 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbe36

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:

3.43 cGPA 3.3 sGPA Strong upward trend Jun/Sen year. I did not dip below 3.6 for those four semesters. These semesters also included many upper-level science courses.

29 N (10bs 10ps 9vr)

EC's: Semester of research, extensive shadowing (PC, EM, Neuro, Gen Surg), , (LOTS of patient contact) and a few other random volunteering activities
Tips and thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a chance, but NY schools are competitive so it's going to be tough. I'm not sure what you're asking, but you should apply to all public schools in NY, Albany, NYMC and Rochester. Don't waste your time with: AECOM, Sinai, NYU, Weill and Columbia.

Also look at Drexel, RFUMS, GW, Tulane and MCW.

Are you considering Osteopathic as well? You should be fine here, though I think you need a recommendation from an Osteopathic Doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Yeah, i had many of those schools in mind. What school is MCW?

I am considering DO. I have a DO anesthisiologist who would write me a letter and allow me to shadow him.

Medical College of Wisconsin.

If you're applying to start DO schools in 2009, you should make sure that your letter from an Osteopathic Physician is sent in ASAP. You might have to get on the author's case about it, otherwise it can fall behind.

Haha, thanks again abc!

Does anyone else have any other school recommendations? Thank you.

I'd say you have a decent shot at a DO acceptance. MD would be a long shot.

I agree with this.. you are probably almost a shoo-in for a lot of D.O. schools, given the rest of your app is good, but there are some M.D. schools you may have a decent shot at. I would add all the schools the above posters suggested, and apply broadly!

I agree with this.. you are probably almost a shoo-in for a lot of D.O. schools, given the rest of your app is good, but there are some M.D. schools you may have a decent shot at. I would add all the schools the above posters suggested, and apply broadly!

Yeah, I need to start getting my DO rsume together.

why is md a long shot?!!

pretty good mcat, and he indicated good upward trend in grades.

1200+ views and only 5 non-mbe36 respones?

That is a ~1:240 respones-ratio....Yikes! LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
I have similar stats and am a reapplicant... you can check out my mdapps from both years if you want to get an idea of which schools I chose to apply to. It's tough for people in our stat range to get into an MD program. Good luck to you though.

Thanks for the reply, UTAH. Your school list was helpful.

why is md a long shot?!!

pretty good mcat, and he indicated good upward trend in grades.

Because he has a below average GPA and a below average MCAT.

Because he has a below average GPA and a below average MCAT.

He has a very decent shot on allo schools. There are folks with 29 and worse GPAs that get into schools like Pritzker. Not saying it's typical, but he can probably get in *somewhere*, if not the top most tier of schools. Do a MDapps search.

People like to freak out on SDN all the time.

MD is not a long shot

according to MSAR, at mcat of 29, the number of accepted exceeds the number of not accepted

MD is not a long shot

according to MSAR, at mcat of 29, the number of accepted exceeds the number of not accepted

how about when that 29 is coupled with a sub 3.5 gpa?

yeah, usually 29's will be paired with a better gpa, considering that the median will prob be higher than 31 and 3.7gpa....things don't look that great

Here is my list of schools:

Albany Med
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Loma Linda
Loyola
Michigan State
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SUNY Upstate
UB Med
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Temple
Maryland Med
Rochester Med

Please suggest any additions. I am almost done with all of these secondaries and am ready to add. Many thanks!!

Albany Med
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Loma Linda
Loyola
Michigan State
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SUNY Upstate
UB Med
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Temple
Maryland Med
Rochester Med

Please suggest any additions. I am almost done with all of these secondaries and am ready to add. Many thanks!!

I disagree with an above post that told you not to apply to AECOM. I think Roc Med is going to be tough with the MCAT. Good luck.

Thanks...I may add some schools and include AECOM.

I really need to get rolling on my DO app. yikes

Does anyone know of any other low to mid-teir schools that are private or OOS-friendly?

I am about to add some schools.

Does anyone know of any other low to mid-teir schools that are private or OOS-friendly?

I am about to add some schools.

bump:thumbup:

Please help as I do not know of other schools to add to my list (OOS-friendly/Private low to mid tier schools). I do not want to start a new thread in the main forum and waste space. Thanks!!

why not use the school selector spreadsheet that is on this forum?

why not use the school selector spreadsheet that is on this forum?

I have, but it is a bit vague. Plus, some of the OOS/IS indicators are not 100% accurate.

I had almost identical stats when I applied. I had very early interviews the first year I applied and would have gotten in were it not for one of my interviews. I reapplied and am now attending my top choice. The people telling you that you have no chance or little chance are pre-med students like you, not admissions directors. Posted stats for schools are averages for the accepted students. True, some school won't look at you because you may not meet their requirements but many schools these days are looking for actual people not just numbers.
The people giving you suggestions on schools to apply to and things like that are the ones to listen to, not the ones who are deciding, based on stats they have looked up, what your chances are of getting in.

I agree! Don't listen to what thoes people tell you about MD being long shot. As long as you apply early (very important to finish your apps ASAP and secondaries and interviews!) Get whatever leverage you can and you'll have a shot.

I had a 30S MCAT , and a 3.0 science GPA. I"m currently in UIC medical getting my MD. not DO, not carribean. so you definitely have a chance. Good luck.

Just added AECOM and MCW. More to come. Thanks everyone!

What do you think of my chances at EVMS?

I am starting to get very nervous. NO interviews yet. I know it is early, but I am a re-applicant.

Still no interviews :(

I have yet to be complete at a few schools, but I am getting restless.

I have a low undergrad GPA (3.3) but I went to the Georgetown post bacc masters and got a 3.7. My MCAT scores are as follows
Physical 15
Verbal 11
Biological 12

composite: 38

Does anyone think I have a shot of getting an interview at weill???

Albany Med
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Loma Linda
Loyola
Michigan State
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SUNY Upstate
UB Med
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Temple
Maryland Med
Rochester Med

Consider EVMS? FIU? Good luck.

I have a low undergrad GPA (3.3) but I went to the Georgetown post bacc masters and got a 3.7. My MCAT scores are as follows
Physical 15
Verbal 11
Biological 12

composite: 38

Does anyone think I have a shot of getting an interview at weill???

You have a 38 fool, of course you have a shot. With a great GPA from a great SMP program, you will have a shot in many places.

UPDATE:

3 Holds
3 rejections
14 in limbo

0 interviews :(

Hey, don't give up. I just got my first interview last week with a similar GPA.. and it was at one of my top schools! Things will work out, we just have to be patient :luck::luck::luck:

don't lose hope! perhaps you might want to think about writing (a) letter(s) of intent/interest!

and don't listen to those who say you have a long shot. although it's not as common, i would say, based on just perusing SDN for awhile now, i've read about people who have gotten into MD with lower stats than yours (but then they did an SMP, or at least some did). don't worry, just have hope :)

and not to make you feel miserable, if things don't go well for you this round (hopefully not the case), you can really show your determination by perhaps retaking the mcat (and studying thoroughly!) and/or think about taking a few science classes at a local community college and trying your best to get all A's or something above a 3.67 average :p And also working on your clinical experience & volunteering of course :)

Medical school is the most frustrating worrisome thing in the entire world. I know exactly how you feel because I am in almost the exact same situation as you. I have the same GPA and MCAT pretty much only difference is i'm currently getting an MBA in healthcare management. It's frustrating but we got to just hold on and keep believing. I think once January rolls around a lot of schools are going to start interviewing hardcore again so just be patient. I know some schools haven't even started interviewing out of state yet like Arkansas.

Keep us updated and best of luck just remember what everyone says.

Applying to medical school is a marathon not a sprint. If you only get one interview in april and you get accepted....you're still an MD

Now lets just pray we get that interview haha!!!

Your numbers are very similar to mine (MDapps on the side) and although it worked out for me at some DO schools, I am considering reapplying for my instate schools (TX). I think I let the fear and neurotic premed thing get to me in where I could end up if I went the distance, so I just shotgunned the process and made a lot of mistakes along the way. It was a good albeit expensive way to learn my lesson, but now I know what I want if I can fix a few things.

I may not be a success story at the moment, but don't give up. You're definitely not alone.

My science gpa is sub 3.0, got a 28M on my MCAT, yet I still have gotten interviews and an acceptance @ a "selective" school....keep the faith and don't let others get you down, remember you are more than numbers, you're a person...

My science gpa is sub 3.0, got a 28M on my MCAT, yet I still have gotten interviews and an acceptance @ a "selective" school....keep the faith and don't let others get you down, remember you are more than numbers, you're a person...

Really?? Sorry if I may ask just wondering which school you are talking about, and was it a state school? I just don't usually hear about sub 3.0/sub 30 students getting in this early....

Really?? Sorry if I may ask just wondering which school you are talking about, and was it a state school? I just don't usually hear about sub 3.0/sub 30 students getting in this early....

Emory...definitely not a state school....

Emory...definitely not a state school....

how did you swing that? Their website says their GPA average is 3.7 and their average MCAT is 34.

You must have incredible EC's!

Thanks for everyone's kind words. ....and let's keep this on-topic. :)

being Native American wouldn't hurt either... not to start a URM flame war. Just saying.

I don't think my ECs are anything *super* special just things I love doing. Sorry I'm not Native American so there goes that theory....darn.