2008-2009 Yale Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine. (500 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Yale LOR Requirements:

You may list up to five references.

If you will submit a pre-medical committee or composite letter, a dean's letter or utilize any letter distribution service, you must indicate COMMITTEE PACKET in the Name box. If you're letters are arriving as a committee packet, there is no limit on how many letters can be in the packet. Use good judgment and don't over-do it, though.

Even if each letter is submitted individually, you can still send more than 5. Again, use good judgment. The admissions staff will accept what you submit. You won't be able to track the additional letters online. A suggestion would be that a self addressed post card be included with your letters so that you will be able to know when they were received.

Last edited:
arent questions like so silly? why do we want to go there? well, he*l! we just want to go somewhere. ugh!
i have ~300 words, think that will be ok?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I think they ask questions like this to make sure you've done your research about their school. You go to their website and read about their program, their research opportunities, their student groups, etc. Maybe they have something really unique that you can't find somewhere else. Mention some specifics in your essay, so it doesn't sound like a generic "of course I want to come to your school because your school is great" essay.

I'm at 550 words, but since there's no actual word counter, I'm going to leave it as it is. It's a standard 5 paragraph essay and it doesn't look or feel any longer than a 500 word essay. (What do you guys think? Is it okay to exceed the suggested word limit by a smidge?)

arent questions like so silly? why do we want to go there? well, he*l! we just want to go somewhere. ugh!
i have ~300 words, think that will be ok?

Actually, I think the yale program has some interesting things about it. Schools vary in their philosophy, curriculum structure, hospital access. There's a lot to work with.

I'm at 550 words, but since there's no actual word counter, I'm going to leave it as it is. It's a standard 5 paragraph essay and it doesn't look or feel any longer than a 500 word essay. (What do you guys think? Is it okay to exceed the suggested word limit by a smidge?)

I've found the admissions office at yale to be extremely kind and responsive. I would write and ask, I bet they'd answer today.

I finished my supplementary yesterday, it feels so anal to have done that. Thanks for all the info you've shared on this Shemarty. :love:

I've found the admissions office at yale to be extremely kind and responsive. I would write and ask, I bet they'd answer today.

I finished my supplementary yesterday, it feels so anal to have done that. Thanks for all the info you've shared on this Shemarty. :love:

"If you wanted to leave it at 550 words, that would be up to you. The requirement is no more than 500"

Hmm... I don't think they're actually going to count all the words, but now I feel like I should shave off 50 more words.

"If you wanted to leave it at 550 words, that would be up to you. The requirement is no more than 500"

Hmm... I don't think they're actually going to count all the words, but now I feel like I should shave off 50 more words.

Hmm, yeah, sounds like proceed with caution.

Hmm, yeah, sounds like proceed with caution.

Okay, I managed to take off 50 words. I guess if I want to go to Yale, the very least I can do is follow their instructions. :oops:

Okay, I managed to take off 50 words. I guess if I want to go to Yale, the very least I can do is follow their instructions. :oops:

Probably true. And here I thought we might have a class rebel on our hands.

where did you get this prompt.

is it online?

Submitted Yale's secondary! :D:D:D:D Yay!

My mom gave me her AmEx number so I could use it for med school apps related stuff. I should really have warned her before I started submitting secondaries :laugh:

Two down, 12 more to go.

Keep it up guys, and good luck!!

Can we upload a document for our activities this summer? (question for Yale and all secondaries in general)
If not, how do you guys plan to do this before interviews start?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess you could upload your summer activities. I had assumed that blank document was for "adversity overcome" type of essays, but I guess in reality you can use it for anything. I hadn't even given any thought to how I would inform my schools of what I was doing this summer. On the activities list, a lot of them have 2009 end dates so I'm hoping they figure out that they're ongoing activities that I'm doing this summer/next academic year.

I just got this e-mail from Yale. I actually submitted the Yale secondary yesterday, so maybe this e-mail is because of that. But it doesn't sound like it. It sounds like AMCAS sent my primary to Yale and Yale sent me the auto-secondary invite. I'm confused.

"Thank you for applying to the Yale University School of Medicine via
AMCAS. You may now submit your online Yale Supplemental Application... If you have already submitted your Yale Supplemental Application, do not
be concerned. It has not gone astray. This e-mail is sent
automatically to all AMCAS applicants in the order in which AMCAS
transmits data to us."

What do you guys think is going on?

I just got this e-mail from Yale. I actually submitted the Yale secondary yesterday, so maybe this e-mail is because of that. But it doesn't sound like it. It sounds like AMCAS sent my primary to Yale and Yale sent me the auto-secondary invite. I'm confused.

I just got this email this morning although I haven't submitted the secondary yet. AMCAS isn't supposed to send out primaries until June 24th but maybe they send out the applicants' names before that? Like it said, your secondary hasn't gone astray. Don't be worried.

AMCAS. You may now submit your online Yale Supplemental Application... If you have already submitted your Yale Supplemental Application, do not
transmits data to us."

I submitted the secondary yesterday but am not amcas verified yet, and I didn't get the email. Evidently AMCAS is transmitting early...which is kind of cool for you early submitters. :)

I submitted the secondary yesterday but am not amcas verified yet, and I didn't get the email. Evidently AMCAS is transmitting early...which is kind of cool for you early submitters. :)

i JUST submitted the yale secondary. whoo!! but now i need to send my fee waiver to them.. my amcas isnt verified so i havent gotten that email yet. oh well.. i wonder how long it will take to verify

Really? I thought AMCAS sends it out on the 24th.

when they ask you for activities, did you guys list your hobbies?

hmm yeah, my amcas is verified but i did not turn in a secondary yet so i guess amcas sent primaries out alreayd? but then what about the other school secondaries? and for amcas, did most ppl have 15 activites? or more like 8ish-10ish?..

hmm yeah, my amcas is verified but i did not turn in a secondary yet so i guess amcas sent primaries out alreayd? but then what about the other school secondaries? and for amcas, did most ppl have 15 activites? or more like 8ish-10ish?..

I'm a non-trad, hence the high number of activities. I had to include both undergrad and what I've done since.

I also got that email, but I am still waiting for AMCAS to verify my application. I assumed the email from Yale was just a result of making an account on their secondary webpage... (I haven't submitted my secondary yet either)

transmits data to us."

Yea, I got it too, and I haven't submitted the secondary yet...maybe AMCAS is early!

edit: Actually, don't schools get contact info before the actual apps?

Last edited:
I also got that email, but I am still waiting for AMCAS to verify my application. I assumed the email from Yale was just a result of making an account on their secondary webpage... (I haven't submitted my secondary yet either)

Possibly, but the email says:
AMCAS."

And it also gives instructions on how to create a secondary account.

When you guys say you already submitted the Secondary, does that mean you already requested your school to send the letters of recommendation as well?

How did you guys approach the essay about your reasons for wanting to attend Yale? I just don't want to sound like a suck up but at the same time show my strong interest in Yale...

My current plan is to cover the 3 main areas of their system, community focus, and curriculum/research...

Honestly, I think everyone will be focusing on the same stuff on Yale's secondary. Why they would pick you over someone else is probably based on your resume/AMCAS activities (whether you can back your interests up with your resume). I don't think the actual secondary matters that much. If you talk about X,Y, and Z that interest you, it'd be nice to have some experience with X,Y, and Z on your application to show commitment.

Since yale is not a rolling admissions school I am going to take the time to really do my homework before I write my essay. I would feel more pressured with a rolling admissions policy. There are already a lot of wonderful things about the school and I'm sure many people are applying to yale for similar reasons.

Secondaries
Shemarty: Submitted: 6/18, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
ar2388: Submitted: 6/20, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Since yale is not a rolling admissions school I am going to take the time to really do my homework before I write my essay. I would feel more pressured with a rolling admissions policy. There are already a lot of wonderful things about the school and I'm sure many people are applying to yale for similar reasons.

That's a good point, but you also probably shouldn't take too long. From what I've heard, interviews do still get offered in a rolling fashion, and each school has a limited number of interviews. Has anyone else heard this?

This makes sense. They can't offer all several hundred interviews all on the same day, so the earlier they review your file, the earlier you get considered. If you don't get an interview offer then, you're probably put back into the pool and re-considered later.

so for interfolio, should we write Commitee Packet even if i'm having interfolio send less than 5 letters?

Secondaries
gates2: Submitted 6/25, Letters rec`d: ??, Complete: ??

Yay! :D

Congrats on submitting, gates2!

Bumping Here...

Anyone know about Interfolio and the secondary? I figure to put the name as committee letter, but what about the address? Did you put the address for interfolio.

I want to have this application complete by Monday.

I went ahead and emailed Yale Admissions. I figured it couldn't hurt...

Last edited:
Secondaries
copingmethods: Submitted 6/26, Letters rec`d: ??, Complete: ??

Secondaries
dr drummer: Submitted 6/26, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Yaaaaaay! Congrats for submitting, you guys!

I still haven't sent in my photo or my LORs :(

I don't have a decent picture that I can use, so I need to go take one sometime soon. I'm also still waiting on my last LOR to show up at my school's career center.

Almost...almost...

Anybody have any idea when their committee first meets?

I still haven't sent in my photo or my LORs :(

I don't have a decent picture that I can use, so I need to go take one sometime soon. I'm also still waiting on my last LOR to show up at my school's career center.

There was a photo requirement for Yale?

Btw, I submitted my secondary on the 20th. My status says they're still waiting on my MCAT score (? that was released to AMCAS 2 years ago and shows up in my primary...they must be slow to update their systems).

They're also waiting on my letters. I listed them as a committee packet because they said to do that if you're using any letter distribution service (my school uses VirtualEvals, so I'm assuming that counts). I'll let you guys know if I run into any problems with that =P

Secondaries
JackInTheBox: Submitted: 6/20, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Last edited:
huh? there is no photo for yale... right?!?!

Secondaries
Breeak: Submitted: 6/18, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
JackInTheBox: Submitted: 6/20, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

I second the question about the photo - there's nothing asking for a photo anywhere that I've seen.

Oh, good call about the photo. I just assumed every school wanted a photo and didn't bother to check the Yale requirement before I posted here.

Okay, so I guess I'm just waiting on one LOR, then.
(I still have no photo yet for the other schools that *do* require one, though :()

Status
Not open for further replies.