2008-2009 Yale Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, good call about the photo. I just assumed every school wanted a photo and didn't bother to check the Yale requirement before I posted here.

Okay, so I guess I'm just waiting on one LOR, then.
(I still have no photo yet for the other schools that *do* require one, though :()

Yeah, I'm debating the whole photo thing too. I want one that's mildly attractive, which I know from experience rules out the passport style ones! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Yea.. me too.

I wanted to take one outside in the main quad of my school, but this require either a tripod or another person to hold the camera. I have neither right now.

Secondaries
Breeak: Submitted: 6/18, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
Shemarty: Submitted: 6/18, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
ar2388: Submitted: 6/20, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
JackInTheBox: Submitted: 6/20, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
gates2: Submitted 6/25, Letters rec`d: ??, Complete: ??
copingmethods: Submitted 6/26, Letters rec`d: ??, Complete: ??
dr drummer: Submitted 6/26, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
Vadd0: Submitted 6/27, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoo!! Congrats on submitting, Vadd0 :D

As anybody already sent in all of their LORs?

Secondaries
blueskyline: Submitted: 6/26, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

From the lovely Yale admissions admin:

There is no need to send in a photo at this time. We don't require one with the application. If you are invited for an interview however, we ask you to bring three copies of a photograph with you to the interview.

So it appears that we have some time to slim down/buff up/tan/tattoo yale on our foreheads, whatever...

Whoo!! Congrats on submitting, Vadd0 :D

As anybody already sent in all of their LORs?

Sigh, no. One of my most critical letter writers is being a little delinquent, which is really annoying since my committee letter has been drafted and they're just waiting on hers to round it out. Grr.

Yea, me too. The last one that I'm waiting for is a pretty crucial one, so I can't send the packet without it. He said it'd be ready by July 1st, and I'm assuming that's still pretty early, so it's okay. My other letters were all in by June 19th, so waiting for this last one is making me anxious :(

Secondaries
RapplixGmed: Submitted 6/29, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Members don't see this ad :)
edit. nvm

Last edited:
Since Yale apparently won't be counting the number of words in our essays, would it be okay to submit an essay at 518 words? I cut it down from 559, but I CANNOT chop anymore : )

Also--has anyone used the "optional essay" space for anything? I was thinking of attaching another PS (essentially) that I wrote with a humorous focus. Or do you think they'd just think it was a waste of space since I don't have any traumatic life experiences to report....

Thanks for your help!

For everyone who has submitted, have you guys submitted your letters of rec?

Is there any point to submit early if you don't have your letters ready? I mean for some people, thats the rate limiting step, right?

Might as well wait?

Since Yale apparently won't be counting the number of words in our essays, would it be okay to submit an essay at 518 words? I cut it down from 559, but I CANNOT chop anymore : )

I posted this earlier on this thread, but "If you wanted to leave it at 550 words, that would be up to you. The requirement is no more than 500" is what the woman on the phone told me. I shaved it down to under 500 because I felt guilty :oops:

For everyone who has submitted, have you guys submitted your letters of rec?

Is there any point to submit early if you don't have your letters ready? I mean for some people, thats the rate limiting step, right?

Might as well wait?

I haven't submitted my recs yet (going to do that tomorrow! yay!) but I submitted Yale's secondary 2 weeks ago because I wanted it out of my hands. I figure I would go crazy holding on to so many secondaries, so "submitting" just gave me a sense of closure.

Definitely do not compromise on the quality of the essay just to submit it early when your LORs are not even ready. But, if you're done with it anyway, go ahead and submit it - no harm done.

That was my take on it, anyway...

So for the activities section... does it give a "negative" light if your "most significant" activity doesn't deal with medicine? or science?

I may put music on top because I've been playing an instrument for 13 years and obviously it's a very significant part of me. However, some clinical experience or a chemistry research experience may come in second place...

In addition to the above question... for something like "classical violin performance," which is what I put on my AMCAS (and I grouped my musical activities in its description), what would I put as the "actual or projected dates"?

I mean... it IS a general form of activity that I plan on carrying on for the rest of my life... it doesn't really have an end date.

So for the activities section... does it give a "negative" light if your "most significant" activity doesn't deal with medicine? or science?

I may put music on top because I've been playing an instrument for 13 years and obviously it's a very significant part of me. However, some clinical experience or a chemistry research experience may come in second place...
i

i dont think so. my premed advisor told me to put classical ballet and ballroom dancing on top

Hey guys, I noticed that some of you submitted your app before me but none of you are applying to the EDP. My supplemental app and committee letter with all recommendations have been sent and received so I am totally finished with the app. Since I am doing the EDP, it's probably safe to assume that I should be one of the first ones on this thread to hear from them right? They say I should expect a final decision by the first of October :eek:, should I be expecting an interview invite this July? or is that too early?

I don't know much about Yale's EDP program specifically, but at Michigan they also notify regular applicants as early as Oct 15th, but their first interview date isn't until Sept 5th.

So extrapolating from that, theoretically your interview could be as "late" as mid to late August, and you could get the invite as "late" as early August?

I'm just randomly guessing here.

I would *hope* that the Yale admissions committee is meeting in July and reviewing the EDP applicants first and that they'll get back to you ASAP.

Good luck!!

I don't know much about Yale's EDP program specifically, but at Michigan they also notify regular applicants as early as Oct 15th, but their first interview date isn't until Sept 5th.

So extrapolating from that, theoretically your interview could be as "late" as mid to late August, and you could get the invite as "late" as early August?

I'm just randomly guessing here.

I would *hope* that the Yale admissions committee is meeting in July and reviewing the EDP applicants first and that they'll get back to you ASAP.

Good luck!!

ok, thanks for the info. I guess I'll just keep one of my ears glued to the phone for the next 2 months.

For those who submitted the secondary app already with the fee, did their status page update your status? It's been 3 weeks and my status page still says nothing received....=(

For those who submitted the secondary app already with the fee, did their status page update your status? It's been 3 weeks and my status page still says nothing received....=(

Mine does say that the fee has been received, but it's still blank for my MCAT score. Don't they receive that when they receive our AMCAS?

:confused:

Mine does say that the fee has been received, but it's still blank for my MCAT score. Don't they receive that when they receive our AMCAS?

:confused:

Mine is blank for the MCAT and letters of rec =(

They have that disclaimer that the status pages are not updated in real time, which is their mea culpa for being slow as balls, I guess.

So, what was the verdict about the LOR from Interfolio thing? Did you list Interfolio's address, or just list your school's address or what?

Thanks!

Secondaries
copingmethods: Submitted 6/26, Letters rec`d: 7/10, Complete: 7/10

Secondaries
Drmcsteamy2008: Submitted: 6/24, Letters rec/d: 7/8. Complete: 7/10
copingmethods: Submitted 6/26, Letters rec`d: 7/10, Complete: 7/10

For those of you who are complete already, do you want to give Yale a call to ask when the committee will meet to start reviewing the files, when the interview invites will begin, and when the interviews will begin?

For those of you who are complete already, do you want to give Yale a call to ask when the committee will meet to start reviewing the files, when the interview invites will begin, and when the interviews will begin?
From Yale's website:
Invitations to interview are extended between September and March. All applicants selected for interview will receive an email notification from the Director of Admissions.

From Yale's website:
Invitations to interview are extended between September and March. All applicants selected for interview will receive an email notification from the Director of Admissions.

Aah, thanks :oops:

So nothing till September, then, even one we are complete.

*twiddling thumbs*

I wish I could get a complete application status for any school at this point.

Oh, but sitting around and waiting and waiting and waiting is so much fun...

Eh, when'd you send your LORs in? I'll probably happen soon. Stay optimistic :)

Is anyone complete at yale?

I submitted a while ago, but their status hasn't changed online.

What does it say on your status page?

Application completed and in review on: 10-JUL-08

And it also gives the dates of when they received letters/MCAT and says "Fee Received: Yes"

Application completed and in review on: 10-JUL-08

And it also gives the dates of when they received letters/MCAT and says "Fee Received: Yes"

Hmm, mine says that they got my fee, my mcat, and my letters.

But under "application completed and in review on" it says NO

What else do they need?

Hmm, mine says that they got my fee, my mcat, and my letters.

But under "application completed and in review on" it says NO

What else do they need?

I don't think they need anything else...someone might just have to manually check you off as complete.

How have they still not received my MCAT scores? This suggests that they haven't downloaded my AMCAS yet :(

So I saw that Yale has a form for recommenders to fill out and submit with the LOR...

Is this form required? What if the letter were sent without the form?

ugh. i sent my fee waiver in in june and then i emailed then and they said they received it 6/26 but its still not marked received on the website

I have been complete for a while. I called yesterday and they said I should hear by the end of July or early August. Hopefully that means an interview invite, my fingers are crossed. Does anyone know if they do stress interviews at Yale?

I have been complete for a while. I called yesterday and they said I should hear by the end of July or early August. Hopefully that means an interview invite, my fingers are crossed. Does anyone know if they do stress interviews at Yale?

Check out the interview feedback page for Yale for examples of Yale interviews.

Anyone else still not marked complete at Yale that submitted a while ago? I've had everything in for like 3+ weeks now...the only thing I'm waiting on is for them to mark they've got my AMCAS...even though they sent me an email that that got my AMCAS...and my LOR, but that was electronic so I'm assuming they can't lose them?

Anyone else still not marked complete at Yale that submitted a while ago? I've had everything in for like 3+ weeks now...the only thing I'm waiting on is for them to mark they've got my AMCAS...even though they sent me an email that that got my AMCAS...and my LOR, but that was electronic so I'm assuming they can't lose them?

I called because my letters are still marked unreceived even though they are on VE. I was told that there are 3 people who process applications, each taking 1/3 of the alphabet. My person is on vacation for the next couple of weeks. :( I'm in the first third of the alphabet - if that's the case for you too, I wouldn't expect anything to happen for at least a couple of weeks. She did reassure me that it's very early and no harm will come of this delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.