2008-2009 Yale Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to address a couple of concerns that people have brought up from what I know (starting MS1 in about a month, yay/boo being about the last med school to start):

Issues with paying the secondary: this is the first year Yale is allowing you to pay the fee online, last year checks had to be mailed, so it still may be safest to go that route if you see a lot of people having problems.

Being complete: it took me a loooong time after I submitted everything to show up as complete on the schools website, though last year there was this major issue with virtualevals and nearly every school was behind by a solid couple of weeks on processing things. So, don't sweat it if it takes a while.

Stress interviews: Nononono, these are not done. The interviews were very relaxed, open-file. One interviewer had read my LORs very carefully, and I was a bit surprised when he asked me about specific things mentioned in the LOR that were not anywhere else in my application, but it was nothing negative.

Interview dates: if you are invited to interview, they will email you asking you to call and schedule a date, the first available times being the tail end of September through the first couple weeks of October (I don't remember if there are actually any September interview dates or if they really just start in November; I also don't know if they extend invites based on when they received your app or if some sort of prioritizing goes on). Do not be afraid to schedule your interview for later on in the Fall if it's convenient or you want to have a few interviews under your belt already (a good idea, mine was my 4th overall); Yale is legitimately non-rolling. Once you interview, your file will essentially sit untouched until the committee convenes at the beginning of March and decisions are made (they really don't start until March, I had a kinda last minute update I wanted to send to schools, and they told me no worries, that that was when they were meeting).

Hope that's a bit helpful, good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

yale is non-rolling, right? so there's no advantage to getting it in early?

i'm still tempted to write this essay before all the hard ones, its so short and easy, and i'll be able to submit it! :p

Yale is legitimately non-rolling. Once you interview, your file will essentially sit untouched until the committee convenes at the beginning of March and decisions are made.

Yup.

I also did Yale's pretty early because it seemed more manageable than some of the other ones.

Too bad I'm still not complete there. Not a peep from them since I submitted....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup.

I also did Yale's pretty early because it seemed more manageable than some of the other ones.

Too bad I'm still not complete there. Not a peep from them since I submitted....

whoops, missed that post :oops: i get so impatient while scrolling through threads for an answer. thanks =)

good luck on getting complete!

SS: Secondary Submitted
LR: Letters received
C: Complete

Secondaries

Breeak: SS: 6/18, LR: ??, C: ??
Shemarty: SS: 6/18, LR: 7/15, C: 7/24
ar2388: SS: 6/20, LR: ??, C: ??
JackInTheBox: SS: 6/20, LR: ??, C: ??
Drmcsteamy2008: SS: 6/24, LR: 7/8. C: 7/10
gates2: SS 6/25, LR: ??, C: ??
copingmethods: SS 6/26, LR: 7/10, C: 7/10
dr drummer: SS 6/26, LR: ??, C: ??
blueskyline: SS: 6/26, LR: ??, C: ??
Vadd0: SS 6/27, LR:: ??, C: ??

No e-mail, but my status page was updated today!!!

Looks like Yale's finally moving forward :D:D:D

Hm... has anyone else not received the e-mail invite. Perhaps they screen, although I doubt it.

Hm... has anyone else not received the e-mail invite. Perhaps they screen, although I doubt it.

Yale does not screen. The secondary is just available online - it has been since June. Just go ahead and fill it out if you're going to submit AMCAS to them anyway.

Secondaries

Breeak: SS: 6/18, LR: ??, C: ??
Shemarty: SS: 6/18, LR: 7/15, C: 7/24
ar2388: SS: 6/20, LR: ??, C: ??
JackInTheBox: SS: 6/20, LR: ??, C: ??
Drmcsteamy2008: SS: 6/24, LR: 7/8. C: 7/10
gates2: SS 6/25, LR: ??, C: ??
copingmethods: SS 6/26, LR: 7/10, C: 7/10
dr drummer: SS 6/26, LR: ??, C: ??
blueskyline: SS: 6/26, LR: ??, C: ??
Vadd0: SS 6/27, LR:: 7/9, C: 7/9

Legend
SS:
Secondary Submitted
LR:
Letters received
C:
Complete
II:
Interview Invite
I: Interview

Breeak:
SS: 6/18, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Shemarty:
SS: 6/18, LR: 7/15, C: 7/24
, II:?, I:?
ar2388: SS: 6/20, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
JackInTheBox: SS: 6/20, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Drmcsteamy2008: SS: 6/24, LR: 7/8. C: 7/10, II:?, I:?
gates2: SS 6/25, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS 6/26, LR: 7/10, C: 7/10, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS 6/26, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
blueskyline: SS: 6/26, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS 6/27, LR:: 7/9, C: 7/9, II:?, I:?

If we are using interfolio to send the letters in a commite packet do we write interfolio and its city and state for the address? or do we just right that of our university? Thanks

Got an Interview Invite today ladies and gentlemen!!!!!!!!! :soexcited: . I am happy enough to be optimistic but nervous enough to stay humble. I have got about two weeks to prepare for this. Any advice from past Yale interviewees would be appreciated. Thanks. Yale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow:

I'm just gonna remind everybody that mterp45 is an early decision applicant, so the rest of us don't freak out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just gonna remind everybody that mterp45 is an early decision applicant, so the rest of us don't freak out!

I was just spared immense anxiety because I read your post before I read mterps! :laugh:

Yep, I am an EDP applicant so they have to give me a decision by October. No worries everyone. I got the notice by phone, I was expecting an email. I wonder if it's special to get the interview invite by phone or if it's only because I am an EDP applicant and there aren't many of us.

Yep, I am an EDP applicant so they have to give me a decision by October. No worries everyone. I got the notice by phone, I was expecting an email. I wonder if it's special to get the interview invite by phone or if it's only because I am an EDP applicant and there aren't many of us.

I bet they do it for all the EDP applicants so they can keep the ball rolling. That way they know for sure that you got the message :)

I bet they do it for all the EDP applicants so they can keep the ball rolling. That way they know for sure that you got the message :)

I am hoping the invite by phone call is a little more special than that :D.

I've already submitted my secondary a few weeks ago, but I got the "okay" from the admissions office to submit another essay (the optional essay I didn't fill out the first time). Does anyone know if there's a character/word limit for the optional essay? I need an answer ASAP since my file is under review already!!

thanks!

I've already submitted my secondary a few weeks ago, but I got the "okay" from the admissions office to submit another essay (the optional essay I didn't fill out the first time). Does anyone know if there's a character/word limit for the optional essay? I need an answer ASAP since my file is under review already!!

thanks!
I thought they didn't start reviewing files until September.

I thought they didn't start reviewing files until September.

I don't think they do. It just says your app is "under review" on the status page when your app is complete.

I don't think they do. It just says your app is "under review" on the status page when your app is complete.

I called the office of admissions today, and they said that my app was under review by the adcom. They said to quickly submit my extra essay because it had already been reviewed by some members. So, I guess they start reviewing apps immediately?

Tell us all about it and post on the SDN interview feedback site when the interview's over and you find out you got in :D

I will certainly tell you about the interview. You can even PM me if you have any detailed questions I would be glad to offer any help.

congrats on the interview! I haven't even submitted yet lol, waiting for the LOR's

i remember someone posting that the first third of the alphabet hadnt been processed bc the admissions person was on vacation.... my question is has anyone in the first third of the alphabet been marked complete or that the letters have been received? mine havent and i am starting to worry :/

i remember someone posting that the first third of the alphabet hadnt been processed bc the admissions person was on vacation.... my question is has anyone in the first third of the alphabet been marked complete or that the letters have been received? mine havent and i am starting to worry :/

My last name starts with H (I'm pretty sure that's the first third of the alphabet...) and I was marked as "Complete and under review" on July 10. My letters were all marked as received on July 9. Hope that helps!

I'm in the first third and I've been waiting for a good long while, it was actually the first I completed but it's still not marked complete. They sent me an email that they got my AMCAS but it hasn't been marked on the status page. Been debating if I should call or just give them more time.

I'm in the first third and I've been waiting for a good long while, it was actually the first I completed but it's still not marked complete. They sent me an email that they got my AMCAS but it hasn't been marked on the status page. Been debating if I should call or just give them more time.

Same here. I called today, and was basically told to give it more time. I'm in the first third and was the one who posted about vacay - I think the person who was completed in early july was before the person took vacay. I'm REALLY annoyed since I completed everything back in June. Admissions might not be rolling by interviews are. :(

Same here. I called today, and was basically told to give it more time. I'm in the first third and was the one who posted about vacay - I think the person who was completed in early july was before the person took vacay. I'm REALLY annoyed since I completed everything back in June. Admissions might not be rolling by interviews are. :(
WOW! I'm in the first third too! Thats why they still havent received my letters? that's no good.

chill out guys. I doubt interviews would dry out when they are only sending out interviews to EDP apps as far as we know. I haven't done yale yet because of the essay :(

I'm confused. I called Yale late last week because I had a question about the EDP process and they said they usually have very few EDP applicants. In fact, they said that they had not received any EDP applications yet this year. How did mterp get an interview if they say they didn't get any applications for EDP yet?

WOW! I'm in the first third too! Thats why they still havent received my letters? that's no good.

Heh i'm in the first third too, and ive been waiting for them to get my LORs. grrrrrrrr

Checked today and my letters are finally marked received. My app isn't marked complete and under review though yet. Guess that'll be another month and a half.

I just wanted to say that my application also isn't being updated promptly, incase anyone was thinking it was just them. They haven't recieved my Mcat scores yet? lol those are on the AMCAS...so I've been figuring they just haven't processed me yet. Oh and my name starts with a "B,"

my LORs have been received and i am complete as of aug 8...finally! :D

im in the first third too.... i called and my letters have been received (sent 7/14)... but according to the office, it takes a week for them to update :)

my LORs have been received and i am complete as of aug 8...finally! :D

when did your letters get uploaded? (assuming you used VE).

mine were up on 7/29 and they still havent been received :sleep:

Legend
SS:
Secondary Submitted
LR:
Letters received
C:
Complete
II:
Interview Invite

Breeak:
SS: 6/18, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Shemarty:
SS: 6/18, LR: 7/15, C: 7/24
, II:?, I:?
ar2388: SS: 6/20, LR: 8/13, C: ?, II:?, I:?

Legend
II: Interview Invite

Breeak: SS: 6/18, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 6/18, LR: 7/15, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Mterp45: EDP decision by October 1 :scared:

Legend

serikk85: SS: 7/10, LR: 7/10, C: ?, II: ?, I?

Legend

Dulcina: SS: 7/28, LR: 8/14, C: 8/14, II:?, I: ?

hooray, they FINALLY got my letters, 16 days after they were sent via VE!

Legend

ar2388: SS: 6/20, LR: 8/13, C: 8/14, II:?, I:?
Dulcina: SS: 7/28, LR: 8/14, C: 8/14, II:?, I: ?

To you complete people, did you get an e-mail or was everything just shown as completed on your status page? My status page is all set (finally), but no e-mail. Am I complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.