how do you pay for a 2nd degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dorise04

Undergrad student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a junior in the fall and my gpa suck right now:( I was wondering if i did a second degree would i get fianical aid....

I will be maxed out in loans and grants by my senior year according to the fin. aid office.:eek: Do any one know how you would pay for a second degree with my type of situation?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I knew this when I was younger....

but this is the reason why your undergrad GPA should always be in good shape ESSPECIALLY if one day you decide to go into any healthcare career.... not just because raising a damanged GPA is sooo mathematically challenging, but once you run out or max out the amount of $$$ you can obtain from your undergrad loans, it becomes very hard to attend school as a post-bacc or 2nd BS degree and pay it out of your pocket, trust me, I am doing that right now and its no easy task.

My suggestion to you is, your still a junior (or about to be), you still have 2 years to go, if you 4.0 every single class you take starting from this minute forward, I think you'll be able to do some serious GPA damage control, Think about it, heres an examle, if your GPA today with 2 years into college is a 2.5 (and lets assume you've taken 50 credits)... if for the next 2 years you take another 50 credits and 4.0 everything, you'r overall GPA will be 3.25 which is much more workable than a 2.5

I wish I knew this when I was younger....

but this is the reason why your undergrad GPA should always be in good shape ESSPECIALLY if one day you decide to go into any healthcare career.... not just because raising a damanged GPA is sooo mathematically challenging, but once you run out or max out the amount of $$$ you can obtain from your undergrad loans, it becomes very hard to attend school as a post-bacc or 2nd BS degree and pay it out of your pocket, trust me, I am doing that right now and its no easy task.

My suggestion to you is, your still a junior (or about to be), you still have 2 years to go, if you 4.0 every single class you take starting from this minute forward, I think you'll be able to do some serious GPA damage control, Think about it, heres an examle, if your GPA today with 2 years into college is a 2.5 (and lets assume you've taken 50 credits)... if for the next 2 years you take another 50 credits and 4.0 everything, you'r overall GPA will be 3.25 which is much more workable than a 2.5

I am hoping to graduate with an 3.2 and do a informal post bacc...
and good luck
Thxs again

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be a junior in the fall and my gpa suck right now:( I was wondering if i did a second degree would i get fianical aid....

I will be maxed out in loans and grants by my senior year according to the fin. aid office.:eek: Do any one know how you would pay for a second degree with my type of situation?

Thanks

Here are a couple of suggestions that may or may not work for you:

At many universities, if you are able to land a staff position, you get some tuition benefits. You won't be able to go full-time but you can often get at least one class a semester paid for.

If you work in a university hospital as some kind of health care worker, you can often get tuition benefits if that hospital is managed by the university. This is very tricky because many universities sold (or will sell) their hospitals to not for profit health care systems (like Georgetown is owned by MedStar corp). If you do something like phlebotomist, you can get some experience and some tuition dollars.

Look into these options and see if they are a possibility for you.Tuition is expensive these days and borrowing just adds to the totals. Good luck!

Here are a couple of suggestions that may or may not work for you:

At many universities, if you are able to land a staff position, you get some tuition benefits. You won't be able to go full-time but you can often get at least one class a semester paid for.

If you work in a university hospital as some kind of health care worker, you can often get tuition benefits if that hospital is managed by the university. This is very tricky because many universities sold (or will sell) their hospitals to not for profit health care systems (like Georgetown is owned by MedStar corp). If you do something like phlebotomist, you can get some experience and some tuition dollars.

Look into these options and see if they are a possibility for you.Tuition is expensive these days and borrowing just adds to the totals. Good luck!

Thxs njbm! I work at a hopsital now and they do give us tutuion refund but its only 2,000 a year..... I was thinking of during my informal post pacc at a state university where the tuntion is half of what i 'm paying now and using the job refund b/c it would help more. I will definiely look into a staff job:D

Thanks

Yeah, I went to a private university for my psych degree and very close to maxing out the amount available - I do have some federal money still available and there are always personal loans (like Signature Student Loans from Sallie Mae).

I also will be tapping into my IRA for living expenses and some of the tuition. Gotta do what you gotta do - since I'm using retirement money, just more motivation to get that GPA up.

I got a 2nd ugrad degree, I used federal and mainly private student loans to pay for it and my living expenses. I would check with some lenders to see if you are truly maxed out for lifetime ugrad loans.

While it is true that a lot of Companies do offer tuition assistance, look at the program details before you accept a job watch out for the following:

1. Some only reimburese you after you have paid and attended, and there is sometimes a lenghty lag time before you actually receive the money back.

2. Some companies will only pay for course work that will help you do your job, so be prepared to tell them how you taking org. chem is going to make you a better employee.

3. Some companies have an approval process that has no set guidelines or criteria for you to go by, so they could approve you one semester, but not for the next.

I thought I was in the same boat, as I loaned my way through law school, but I have enough available to loan my way through post-bac and med school (tuition only), so maybe you should go talk to someone else about your aid situation, as you might have been given bad advise about being maxed out.

And don't get to good of a job, as the income could hurt your future aid award.

Last edited:
Get a job at a company that will pay for some part-time education. Many corporations offer tuition reimbursement.

This is not realistic. Almost all companies will require you to justify how your coursework will directly benefit the company in your current job. There will be very few companies willing to pay for o-chem and bio classes. And you have to stay at the job for x years or you pay back the money, there is no guarantee they will keep paying semester after semester, yadda yadda yadda.

If the OP really wants to do this and not max out the loans, OP may have to matriculate somewhere much cheaper for the final two years.

Thx everyone for posting! I think I will just finish my BA stop taking science classes and do an informal post bacc when i'm done....my main focus is my gpa at this point....:oops:

doing another BA is just too much time and money that i don't have.....:confused:

Thxs again...