2008-2009 University of Illinois (UIC) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (150 words)

2) Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it, your reactions(s), and how it affected you. What did you learn from this situation/experience? (250 words)

3) Describe a hobby or activity other than something in health care, in which you have a keen interest. How does this hobby/activity help you fulfill your personal goals? (250 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Is that first essay optional? For some reason I just overlooked it while starting to fill it out. Anybody think it's required? I know most schools ask something like this preceded by "If applicable"...

Looking closer, the other essays are under the subheading of Required Essays, so I'm going to go with my gut that the first one is more or less optional unless if someone has a different opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's also what I took from it, seems like its an essay to write if applicable.

Last year I answered the first question by expressing appreciation for the advantage of having my undergrad education paid for by my parents. I also discussed how having opportunities to travel abroad had positively impacted my undergrad experience.

If there is an elective question on a secondary, consider answering it if the response reflects something about your personality or life experience that other parts of the application will not bring to light.

So, stupid question, but I received an email from UIC telling me how I can access a website to view the status of my application and it provided a passoword and all. Does this mean I got the secondary? I mean, I know they do not screen, but it seems strange that the email doesn't really mention anything about completing a secondary (or provide a link for that matter) or about waiting for further notice regarding a secondary invite.

??

So, stupid question, but I received an email from UIC telling me how I can access a website to view the status of my application and it provided a passoword and all. Does this mean I got the secondary? I mean, I know they do not screen, but it seems strange that the email doesn't really mention anything about completing a secondary (or provide a link for that matter) or about waiting for further notice regarding a secondary invite.

??

That website is your new best friend. If you are offered an interview, this will be how you receive notification. Some are notified by snail-mail, but I never got a paper copy and many others did not either. The number of times you check this site each day will be a good determinant of how Type A you are. When the offer comes, you will get a choice of times, days, and locations, then you call the admissions office for a definite appointment. After the interview, (eventually, maybe months later) they will post that "a decision has been made on your application." You can expect a letter within 2 weeks to give you the details of what that means.

UIC isn't very organized sometimes. I can't explain why you weren't given access to the secondary yet.

Last edited:
Are you guys sending your letter via AMCAS or through LEO?

??

That happened to me too... Under my "current status" in the status check it says "Supplemental Application not yet Sent -- Contact College Admissions at 312-996-5635,- Recommendations Requirements not yet Complete." I had already designated my LORs for them in the AMCAS system and maybe it has them confused?

UPDATE- And just as I was about to dial them, the secondary email arrived (but the message in my current status box remains the same). Wait a little more and hopefully it will come... here's the link to it so you can get started while you wait: http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/supplemental Good luck!

Last edited:
hey guys,

i got my secondary today (yayy) and i have a few questions..

can i send my LOR through interfolio? im using interfolio for my DO schools and wondered if i could do the same for MD.
i also retook my mcat 2 days ago, should i wait to submit my secondary until my new scores are in?
i got a 26 the first time...

ok thanks!! :)

hey guys,

i got my secondary today (yayy) and i have a few questions..

can i send my LOR through interfolio? im using interfolio for my DO schools and wondered if i could do the same for MD.
i also retook my mcat 2 days ago, should i wait to submit my secondary until my new scores are in?
i got a 26 the first time...

ok thanks!! :)

No don't wait to submit. If your app is noted that you are retaking, they normally wait to evaluate you until your new MCAT scores come in.

My current status says "Application is in Process." Anyone know what exactly this means? It already says that they've received all my materials, so it doesn't seem like there's anything left to process. Maybe it's referring to being reviewed? Or maybe they're lazy and haven't updated it? Just curious.

Where are you guys checking your UIC status? I don't see anywhere to do that on their website...

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you guys checking your UIC status? I don't see anywhere to do that on their website...

After you login, click "Next" on the bottom of the page.

That happened to me too... Under my "current status" in the status check it says "Supplemental Application not yet Sent -- Contact College Admissions at 312-996-5635,- Recommendations Requirements not yet Complete." I had already designated my LORs for them in the AMCAS system and maybe it has them confused?

UPDATE- And just as I was about to dial them, the secondary email arrived (but the message in my current status box remains the same). Wait a little more and hopefully it will come... here's the link to it so you can get started while you wait: http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/supplemental Good luck!

cool, thanks =)

edit: ok, i just relooked at my application status and it says "process complete." ?!??!!?!!? anyone else have this? maybe ill call...
edit again: ok, just called them....they said to ignore the "process comlete." If I meet the eligibility requirements, I'll receive a secondary shortly.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, Im not sure if this was addressed already but does UIC screen and if so what are the cutoffs. Thanks

A couple of months ago I had an appointment with a UIC admissions counselor. I asked them if they screened prior to sending out secondaries, and the answer I got was yes. Now, the requirements could be something trivial (such as a 2.75 GPA and a 25 MCAT), but it is still considered to be "screening". Compare that to other schools, some of which would invite an orangutan to fill out their secondary, and I'd say its worth mentioning.

If anyone else heard otherwise, I'd be interested in knowing your source...

Have they marked off anyone's LORs in the status check yet?

Have they marked off anyone's LORs in the status check yet?

mine were marked received on 7/10. I think I put them in the mail on the 1st or 2nd of july, so it took a bit over a week.

mine were marked received on 7/10. I think I put them in the mail on the 1st or 2nd of july, so it took a bit over a week.

Wait, you mailed them directly to UIC? Or are you talking about mailing them to the AAMC? The AAMC has had mine marked for a while and designated to go to UIC but UIC says that I haven't met their LOR requirement yet.

Wait, you mailed them directly to UIC? Or are you talking about mailing them to the AAMC? The AAMC has had mine marked for a while and designated to go to UIC but UIC says that I haven't met their LOR requirement yet.

Their website shows that they don't have my letters, but I just called and they said that my file is complete, with LORs. It probably takes a while for the changes to get pushed through. The guy I spoke to also said that AMCAS only uploads letters Tuesday through Thursday, but I'm not sure if he meant marking them received on AMCAS or sending them to the individual schools.

Their website shows that they don't have my letters, but I just called and they said that my file is complete, with LORs. It probably takes a while for the changes to get pushed through. The guy I spoke to also said that AMCAS only uploads letters Tuesday through Thursday, but I'm not sure if he meant marking them received on AMCAS or sending them to the individual schools.

Awesome, thanks.

sorry, i got it confused with another school. i had them sent to AMCAS, and they showed they were received on the 10th. sorry about that.

sorry, i got it confused with another school. i had them sent to AMCAS, and they showed they were received on the 10th. sorry about that.

You scared me for a minute. :) Thanks for the info!

has anyone gotten an email notifying them that they were complete?

Anyone else having trouble with the first question? It almost seems like "advantages" was supposed to be "disadvantages." I wonder if that was a typo.

Looking at the examples they list and the rest of the prompt, it would make a lot more sense if it said "disadvantages."

Anyone else having trouble with the first question? It almost seems like "advantages" was supposed to be "disadvantages." I wonder if that was a typo.

Looking at the examples they list and the rest of the prompt, it would make a lot more sense if it said "disadvantages."

it does say "complications" after that, so you can write about disadvantages since they can be seen as complications.

it does say "complications" after that, so you can write about disadvantages since they can be seen as complications.

Thanks happygirl. I love happy people; hapiness is so contagious.

Nope. I think I mailed mine out on the 10th too. My check for the applicatoin fee has not been processed yet either.

I don't think they email you when you are complete... just go to the status check website and if there is a "next" button at the bottom then they have everything. If not, then there is a message at the bottom saying what is missing.

I submitted my UIC secondary a long time ago, and for whatever reason I still don't know what status page everyone is talking about! lol

Could someone post a link for it?

I don't think they email you when you are complete... just go to the status check website and if there is a "next" button at the bottom then they have everything. If not, then there is a message at the bottom saying what is missing.

where is the status check page?

What bio classes are you folks using for the advanced bio class requirement.

It says "must be at least a 200 level course." At the two schools I've attended, 200 level is graduate classes.

Would Genetics or Molecular Biology count?

Ah! I am a fool! I finally heard back from UIC b/c I did NOT sign my check! In the midst of making sure everything was filled out properly, I guess I didn't sign the check like a fool. BAH! Now I'm a tad more behind in the applicatoin process. BAH!

they don't specifically say if you are complete or not, do they?

mine says "application in process" what does that mean?

Probably everything isn't received? When did you submit your app?

Mine says "Supplemental Application Sent - Recommendations Requirements not yet Complete" b/c I didn't sign my check :laugh:

Yeah, it means you are complete. Mine says "Applicant in Process." There is a difference between "applicant" and "application" ... last year someone called and they reported that when your status says "applicant" it means you are being reviewed and when it says "application" it means you haven't been reviewed yet or have been reviewed but passed over for now. I don't know this to be true firsthand though.

Yeah, it means you are complete. Mine says "Applicant in Process." There is a difference between "applicant" and "application" ... last year someone called and they reported that when your status says "applicant" it means you are being reviewed and when it says "application" it means you haven't been reviewed yet or have been reviewed but passed over for now. I don't know this to be true firsthand though.

Hmm, thanks for the info. I didn't know they were beginning the review process so early. I thought they started the first week of august.

Hmm, thanks for the info. I didn't know they were beginning the review process so early. I thought they started the first week of august.

No problem. I don't know when they start reviewing files...

I found the post I was referring to:

"I called and talked to someone who was very helpful...she said that your status does change from application to applicant in process, and if during that review they dont want to interview you at this time they just change you back to application in progress. Hence, I went through that cycle, called and she said that as of now I wasnt being offered an interview, but they could extend an offer later in the season (though I wont hold my breath). They apparently dont place you on hold there, just keep cycling you through if they re-review your file."

Also- "after it changes from "application is in process" to "applicant in process" it usually takes two weeks for the committee to review you. Cross your fingers when it becomes applicant because two weeks afterwards you either get your interview (they really like you) or you get cycled over and over again..mine is gonna get sent soon! "

I had the same question as iduwanna.

what courses are considered "200 level" courses?

How did you guys deal with activities that you're continuing in the following semester. We cant just put present.

How did you guys deal with activities that you're continuing in the following semester. We cant just put present.

the instructions say to mark the current date, so 7/08, for continuing activities.

For those of you who completed your secondaries, did you answer the 1st question and if so what did you write about?

For those of you who completed your secondaries, did you answer the 1st question and if so what did you write about?

They stick this question on their every year, and every year it confuses people. use that space to talk about anything that happened that seriously distracted you during college (death in family, extended illness, accident, whatever). If nothing happened, than just say nothing hindered your college education.

The "advantages" part isn't important at all. I just mentioned having the continued support of my family or something like that.

Under leadership experiences, did you list the dates for which you were a leader or for which you were involved w/ the club?

can someone please explain to me how to check a box on this app?? I can't seem to be able to figure it out. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.