2008-2009 University of Illinois (UIC) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the grading system in Urbana for M1?

It's the same as in Chicago with Outstanding (O), Pass (P), Fail (F).

All of you guys that are still waiting for replies to your petitions, how much longer are you planning to wait before signing a housing lease in Urbana?

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew my application before May 15th, and was wondering if anyone got their deposit back yet? Also, today I received an email from UIC, outlining how students should pay the e-bills. Was this email sent by mistake to me? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew my application before May 15th, and was wondering if anyone got their deposit back yet? Also, today I received an email from UIC, outlining how students should pay the e-bills. Was this email sent by mistake to me? Thanks.

Hey,

I withdrew before the 15th too, and haven't received my check either. Overall, I think UIC is really slow with administrative stuff because of the volume of applicants, etc. If I don't get it back by the end of the month, I'll call the admissions office.

I'm guessing the email was a mistake because I didn't receive one. Maybe you should call the admissions office and confirm that you withdrew from UIC?

Hi Guys,
I know this may raise some eyebrows, but I did not get a 2-step TB test. I got the Quantiferon test (blood test), and apparently that was fine with the admissions office. I just turned in my immunization forms today. I know they clearly state "Only 2-step TB test is accepted", but I thought I would give it a try anyway. And it was fine.

Hopefully that will save somebody on this thread some time.

-Faizan

You "thought you'd give it a try anyway"? Real responsible.

All of you guys that are still waiting for replies to your petitions, how much longer are you planning to wait before signing a housing lease in Urbana?

I'm planning to wait till the end of this month. Once come July, I'll start looking for places. What about yourself?

Hi Guys,
I know this may raise some eyebrows, but I did not get a 2-step TB test. I got the Quantiferon test (blood test), and apparently that was fine with the admissions office. I just turned in my immunization forms today. I know they clearly state "Only 2-step TB test is accepted", but I thought I would give it a try anyway. And it was fine.

Hopefully that will save somebody on this thread some time.

-Faizan
Thanks for letting us know. I did the same thing, as the form says "Optional: QTBG Quantiferon". I think that the QTBG test is actually a better test (no allergic reactions/less false positives) , so it makes sense that they would accept that one.

Might wait throughout July if that is my only option. I just would not have a place of my own for a few weeks or months.

Might wait throughout July if that is my only option. I just would not have a place of my own for a few weeks or months.

Yea, I'm thinking about the same, I'll probably wait it out through July

Does UIC have discount plans with phone carriers for students?

in order to get the discount, do you just tell at & t you are a student at uic / show proof?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me, or have there been NO acceptances off the waitlist at UIC? I am a regular on the waitlist movement thread this year, and the other schools I watch have had at least some movement, but nothing here at all, which is surprising, since I've been following this thread regularly and there have been a lot of withdrawals.

And for those of you waitlisted, I would appreciate if you would pray for me to get into Tufts (it's cheaper, and I'd get to be in a city I know and love), so that opens up a spot for you all (though it'll be Urbana/Peoria).

Is it just me, or have there been NO acceptances off the waitlist at UIC? I am a regular on the waitlist movement thread this year, and the other schools I watch have had at least some movement, but nothing here at all, which is surprising, since I've been following this thread regularly and there have been a lot of withdrawals.

Yep. I spoke with a UIC admissions counselor who told me that there has been essentially no waitlist movement, so it's not just an SDN thing.

Yep. I spoke with a UIC admissions counselor who told me that there has been essentially no waitlist movement, so it's not just an SDN thing.

hm, I guess that means they over-accepted expecting a certain number of withdrawals. Not really a good system for people on waitlists or waiting for appeals.

hm, I guess that means they over-accepted expecting a certain number of withdrawals. Not really a good system for people on waitlists or waiting for appeals.

Their goal is to fill the class with the best candidates possible. The "system" is not designed for people on waitlists or waiting for appeals.

I keep sending updates to Pritzker, but I gave up on UIC waitlist. Last year, the only movement was at the end of July. I am pretty much ready to reapply.

So for the guys waiting to hear about your petition, do you guys think at this point, all available spots are taken and we are just waiting for someone to drop? Zip said the builk would hear around 6/1 and it's 6/12 now. I feel like there isn't much chance for us at this point especially if the waitlist is not moving.

So for the guys waiting to hear about your petition, do you guys think at this point, all available spots are taken and we are just waiting for someone to drop? Zip said the builk would hear around 6/1 and it's 6/12 now. I feel like there isn't much chance for us at this point especially if the waitlist is not moving.

Honestly, I don't really know. It seems like the class is full at this point, so we are probably waiting on others to drop. However, I think in past years, more people had their appeals granted in late July and early August. Zip, do you have any inside info on whether the class is full and if they are still granting petitions?

in order to get the discount, do you just tell at & t you are a student at uic / show proof?

You can do it all online. Go here: https://www.wireless.att.com/business/enrollment/ and enter the proper information (it has to be your uic email). The discount starts to apply in the next billing cycle.

Edit: If you don't have ATT, but want to get a discount as a new customer, I think they have stuff for buying phones with plans too. You just goto: http://www.att.com/wireless/uillinois

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't really know. It seems like the class is full at this point, so we are probably waiting on others to drop. However, I think in past years, more people had their appeals granted in late July and early August. Zip, do you have any inside info on whether the class is full and if they are still granting petitions?

Oh really? A glimmer of hope!

1. is the orientation the week of august 10?

2. is the orientation in chicago for ALL M1 students? or do the urbana students have orientation in urbana?

Why did this thread die?! Without this thread I have nothing to look forward to and my life has lost meaning.

...on a serious note, any news with anybody on the petition front?

Nope :(. Is there usually any movement in July?

considering there's been no waitlist movement at all (not one, on SDN at least), I'd doubt there would be any petition movement if you've not already been notified.

I'm guessing movement would happen in August due to people like me who are holding out for another school that takes people off waitlists all the way till the end of July and then w/d. (but I wouldn't open up a Chicago seat, I'm U/P)

Hey Zip! Do you know how the loan process works? I filled out the master promissory notes and did the entrance counseling. What is the next step? My undergrad loans are with sallie mae, and I would like to use them again. Does UIC need to send them info before I can apply for the loans? Thanks for any help you can give!

Hey Zip! Do you know how the loan process works? I filled out the master promissory notes and did the entrance counseling. What is the next step? My undergrad loans are with sallie mae, and I would like to use them again. Does UIC need to send them info before I can apply for the loans? Thanks for any help you can give!

Sorry for the delay; I've been attending to the 2010 application thread. UIC is a direct lending school; you won't have Sallie Mae as your loan servicer - it'll be UIC/Department of Ed (http://www.dlservicer.ed.gov). It's a very smooth process at UIC - sometime the week after orientation (the first week of classes), you'll get your refund money directly deposited into your bank account. Make sure you fill out the direct deposit information in the SelfService application (http://apps.uillinois.edu/selfservice).

Looks like we can accept our financial aid or not. If we hit accept, is it for the full amount?

Looks like we can accept our financial aid or not. If we hit accept, is it for the full amount?

I went to accept it, and it actually allowed me to enter an amount less than what's offered, in case I didn't want to take all of the 50k. Did you use the "online entrance counselor" to calculate things?

I went to accept it, and it actually allowed me to enter an amount less than what's offered, in case I didn't want to take all of the 50k. Did you use the "online entrance counselor" to calculate things?
No, I did not. Where is that?

Entrance Counseling can be found at https://obfsappsprod2.ui.uillinois.edu/fc/cgi-bin/home.pl?campus=uic. Did everyone basically accepted everything?
Federal Direct Sub-Loan Offered $4,250.00 $4,250.00 $8,500.00 Choose One: Accept Decline Federal Direct Unsub-Loan Offered $16,000.00 $16,000.00 $32,000.00 Choose One: Accept Decline Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan Offered $4,921.00 $4,921.00 $9,842.0

I'm on the Urbana/Peoria Track and just got information in the mail about housing at Chicago...

Anyone else get this...?

I'm on the Urbana/Peoria Track and just got information in the mail about housing at Chicago...

Anyone else get this...?

yep, I got it a couple of weeks ago - I think they just send it to everyone who's registered with UIC, regardless of campus

yep, I got it a couple of weeks ago - I think they just send it to everyone who's registered with UIC, regardless of campus

I called and asked, they send to everyone.

I accepted all of the loans offered to me. My budget's adding up so I'll probably need it all, but even if I don't, it's nice to have it in reserve for emergency. Yes we do accumulate interest and have to pay interest, but remember it's a tax write-off. I did my entrance counseling and signed two master promissory notes (kinda sounds paradoxical doesn't it?). One last thing to take care of: deferment of undergraduate loans. I know that Perkins does this national sweep where if they find your name as an enrolled graduate student, they'll automatically defer your loans, but I don't think Direct Loans does it. I think I have to print out the forms, get a registrar to sign off, then mail it to Direct Loans. Anyone know if Direct Loans will automatically defer if they find your name in the sweep?

I accepted all of the loans offered to me. My budget's adding up so I'll probably need it all, but even if I don't, it's nice to have it in reserve for emergency. Yes we do accumulate interest and have to pay interest, but remember it's a tax write-off. I did my entrance counseling and signed two master promissory notes (kinda sounds paradoxical doesn't it?). One last thing to take care of: deferment of undergraduate loans. I know that Perkins does this national sweep where if they find your name as an enrolled graduate student, they'll automatically defer your loans, but I don't think Direct Loans does it. I think I have to print out the forms, get a registrar to sign off, then mail it to Direct Loans. Anyone know if Direct Loans will automatically defer if they find your name in the sweep?

Actually, Direct Loans automatically defers as well. I didn't do a thing and my loans got deferred about a month ago.

Actually, Direct Loans automatically defers as well. I didn't do a thing and my loans got deferred about a month ago.

Oh sweet! That makes sense since Perkins automatically defers and Direct Loans is a bigger provider of loans. How could you tell that your loans were deferred? Did you receive a letter in the mail? Unfortunately I have a bad habit of recycling my mail before opening since I pay everything through automatic checking deduction. I can't tell online that my loans are deferred.

Oh sweet! That makes sense since Perkins automatically defers and Direct Loans is a bigger provider of loans. How could you tell that your loans were deferred? Did you receive a letter in the mail? Unfortunately I have a bad habit of recycling my mail before opening since I pay everything through automatic checking deduction. I can't tell online that my loans are deferred.

It showed up for me online. When you log into the direct loan servicing website, it should say in the account summary that your loans have been deferred until such and such a date.

Status
Not open for further replies.