2008-2009 University of Illinois (UIC) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we've already established that UIC isn't exactly quick when it comes to updating things. Still, I've been holding my breath. The check status page was updated today, and they still haven't downloaded my letters from AMCAS. The letters arrived at AMCAS over a week ago. This is very frustrating.

Anyone out there who did get their LORs updated on the status check page today? If so, when did AMCAS receive your letters?

For me, they took about 9 days to upload my letters after receiving them.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey...has anyone talked to a UIC admissions advisor about classes that fulfill the behavioral/social sciences requirements? I was ready to submit my secondary on Friday, but when I called to ask that one little question, the lady said I would have to call back on Thursday (and wait a full week) because that's the onyl day I can talk to an admissions counselor to find out ym answer :mad:

What I'm trying to figure out is if my Human Sexuality class would fulfill this requirement as one of my 3 classes in this subject. Anyone know or have any ideas?

i just added this school and im very excited to get this secondary completed. good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys think either history courses or ethics count as social/behavioral studies? If not i dont have 2 classes in any one department...i've taken 1 sociology, 1 econ, and 1 foreign culture that according to my school are all social sciences but they are not in the same department. But i have 2 ethics, and a few history...? So frustrating and this one has been sitting in my inbox for weeks...i completed 15 right off the bat and for 2 weeks i've been sitting on the last 5:rolleyes:

You guys think either history courses or ethics count as social/behavioral studies? If not i dont have 2 classes in any one department...i've taken 1 sociology, 1 econ, and 1 foreign culture that according to my school are all social sciences but they are not in the same department. But i have 2 ethics, and a few history...? So frustrating and this one has been sitting in my inbox for weeks...i completed 15 right off the bat and for 2 weeks i've been sitting on the last 5:rolleyes:

i think the two ethics courses count. you can call the school to double check but i dont see any problem with it.

Congrats to anybody who has an interview invite from this or any other school so far!

Remember to post them on the interview invite threads :) It's helpful for other SDN members, not only this year but also in the future!

Thanks!

I applied with disadvantaged status, and the small essay I wrote addressing this on my AMCAS is similar to what I would write here. Should I repeat my self, or just leave this blank?

bump, anyone?

Also, can we write about more than one hobby for the second essay?
I want to write about henna tattoos and baking :love: Although I don't know how baking will fulfill my personal goals...

bump, anyone?

I want to write about henna tattoos and baking :love: Although I don't know how baking will fulfill my personal goals...

henna tattoos !? that's so cool ! i went to india this past summer and got one all over my hand .. i was so sad it faded . great story, huh?

anybody know if your status ever changes from application in progress ?

bump, anyone?

i would probably stick with the henna tattoos alone, unless you can tie in that with baking and how they BOTH fullfill your goals in only 250 words.

I think it changes from "application in process" to "applicant in process". it's not very exciting though. I've been stuck on "applicant in process" for over a month... *sigh*

AMCAS had my letters over a week ago as well. I called UIC yesterday to ask them about it and they told me that they downloaded my letters but are a bit behind in entering them as received in the system. I'd say give them a call if you are nervous about it. The woman I spoke with was very helpful! She said she anticipated they being in the system by the end of the week.

Are your letters updated on the status check page now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with disadvantaged status, and the small essay I wrote addressing this on my AMCAS is similar to what I would write here. Should I repeat my self, or just leave this blank?

IMO, you should put something as an answer on that secondary question, especially if you have something important to write. Maybe repeat yourself a bit, but also change it up and make it sound fresh.

Who knows how much (if at all) admissions committees refer back to your personal statement. Once they have your secondary essays in hand, that may just become their primary source of information on your personality and history.

Like I said though, only my opinion. I recommend getting a second one.

I think it changes from "application in process" to "applicant in process". it's not very exciting though. I've been stuck on "applicant in process" for over a month... *sigh*

Where do you see your application status? All mine shows is that they've received all my stuff...but I don't see whether its in progress or anything?

Where do you see your application status? All mine shows is that they've received all my stuff...but I don't see whether its in progress or anything?
There is a button that says "Next"

^Posted before I saw this.

At the bottom of your page is a red button that says "Next". Click it and it will take you to a page that gives your application status. :)

does anyone know how the interview date selection process works? i just noticed that my status page has changed, and it said that 12 spots were available for only 1 date. i called the admissions office, and they said that was the only date available. i'm now checking the page again and it says 0 spots available for all of the days... are the dates updated regularly? thx!

Are a lot of people getting interview invites already? I've been complete since July 22nd and haven't heard a peep....

if AMCAS has my letters, then i dont have to have my school send them through virtual evals to UIC right? (since UIC does the LOE service right?) thanks

^Posted before I saw this.

At the bottom of your page is a red button that says "Next". Click it and it will take you to a page that gives your application status. :)

On which page am I going to see this NEXT button? The site I keep going to is where I got my secondary applicatoin, and it only has the option to download it. And from the admissions page, when I push check status, it tells me to go to the AMCAS page....

does anyone know how the interview date selection process works? i just noticed that my status page has changed, and it said that 12 spots were available for only 1 date. i called the admissions office, and they said that was the only date available. i'm now checking the page again and it says 0 spots available for all of the days... are the dates updated regularly? thx!
Sorry, I am not sure how the interview scheduling works, BUT If they invited you for an interview I'm sure they'll get you a date. Would you mind sharing when your application was complete? Do you also happen to know the time gap between your status change from "Application in Process" to "Applicant in Process" to Interview Invite?

if AMCAS has my letters, then i dont have to have my school send them through virtual evals to UIC right? (since UIC does the LOE service right?) thanks

Correct, UIC will download them from the AMCAS website and update them on your status page. However, there is no telling how long this will take. My letters had arrived to AMCAS in early August, and only a few days ago were they updated on the UIC Status Check page. Now I'm waiting for my status to change to "Applicant in Process"; last time I checked my status page, it said "Stop Checking".

Last edited:
On which page am I going to see this NEXT button? The site I keep going to is where I got my secondary applicatoin, and it only has the option to download it. And from the admissions page, when I push check status, it tells me to go to the AMCAS page....

It's that same page that has been posted earlier: https://mercury.comd.uic.edu/appstat/

Hey guys...I just mailed in my secondary about a week ago, so they should have just received it. How long after mailing your app. out did you get the e-mail with the link to the status page? I still have not gotten this, so I cannot login. Thanks in advance!

How important do you think it is to do the advantages/disadvantages question? I can't really think of much to say. How many of you answered it it? Did anyone from last year not answer it and still get an interview?

Hey guys...I just mailed in my secondary about a week ago, so they should have just received it. How long after mailing your app. out did you get the e-mail with the link to the status page? I still have not gotten this, so I cannot login. Thanks in advance!

You were supposed to get the link to the status page in a separate email at about the same time they send you the secondary. You should have already received it... check your spam folder.

If you can't find the email, go here: https://mercury.comd.uic.edu/appstat/ and click "Forgot your password?"

Also, how did you guys fill out the secondary? Did you type it into the word document, or use some type of PDF editing software?

Thanks

How important do you think it is to do the advantages/disadvantages question? I can't really think of much to say. How many of you answered it it? Did anyone from last year not answer it and still get an interview?

i just mentioned that i worked during college and that i learned lessons about time management. dont overanalyze it, if you dont have anything dont say anything

i mailed it out on 9/2 and it was marked recieved on 9/9 on the status check page.

Also, how did you guys fill out the secondary? Did you type it into the word document, or use some type of PDF editing software?

Thanks
i downloaded the word document and typed right into it.

Sorry, I am not sure how the interview scheduling works, BUT If they invited you for an interview I'm sure they'll get you a date. Would you mind sharing when your application was complete? Do you also happen to know the time gap between your status change from "Application in Process" to "Applicant in Process" to Interview Invite?

Sure, I was complete on 7/18 according to the status page. I haven't checked the status page regularly, but the last time I checked was approx last week and it was "Application in Process" then when I checked again yesterday it had options for interview dates. I think they also send official interview invites via snail mail, but I'm not completely sure. Hope that helps!

man, i'm so jealous of people who got interview invites here already! I've been complete since 7/9 (which is the earliest complete date on the interview invite thread for this school) and it's my top choice school...but it's probably cuz my numbers are pretty low. *sigh* i hope i hear from them soon.

man, i'm so jealous of people who got interview invites here already! I've been complete since 7/9 (which is the earliest complete date on the interview invite thread for this school) and it's my top choice school...but it's probably cuz my numbers are pretty low. *sigh* i hope i hear from them soon.

Hey, you go to U of I. We at least deserve a courtesy interview.

So my status page says something about interview scheduling, but there is no Interview Letter Date listed.....does this mean I got an interview or no?

So my status page says something about interview scheduling, but there is no Interview Letter Date listed.....does this mean I got an interview or no?

I just checked my page and got the same thing! I'm hoping its an interview!

Anyone else know? I'm dying here...

Ok I called to schedule and it DOES mean we got interviews!!! Congrats RafaTech!

Can any one please post the link of the status page? I can only find the secondary page. Thank you.

I think this needs to be said...

I L L

actually, I'll make my 1000th post a memorable one by finishing it, too

I N I

My status went from "Applicant in Process" to "Application in Process". Does this mean a hold??

i just checked my status page and i have the interview Scheduling page! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! IM so excited! :D
i was complete 9/2 and i am OOS.

Man I figured I'd have more illini in this thread. What gives? :[

My status went from "Applicant in Process" to "Application in Process". Does this mean a hold??
I would like to know this too although I am still in the "Applicant in Process" phase.

I would like to know this too although I am still in the "Applicant in Process" phase.

I'm confused.. after the supplemental is complete does status change to "Applicant in Process" or to "Application in Process"? Basically my question is: which one means you are further along?

Man I figured I'd have more illini in this thread. What gives? :[

Oh, we're here...

Oskee-Wow-Wow, Illinois! Our eyes are all on you.
Oskee-Wow-Wow, Illinois! Wave your orange and your blue (rah, rah!).

While I'm totally for getting into/going to UIC, being a UIC Flame doesn't have the same exciting ring to it as does being the Fighting Illini.

i agree bambi. i'd much rather be in urbana/peoria but you know why ;). Go ILLINI!

and saturday night i had a dream (or a nightmare i suppose) that i got rejected from UIC. seriously, this is the only school i REALLY want to get into.

!!!!!!!!(frustration)!!!!!!!

I'm confused.. after the supplemental is complete does status change to "Applicant in Process" or to "Application in Process"? Basically my question is: which one means you are further along?

From what I understand, "Application in Process" means that they have your application but it is not being reviewed. It should then switch to "Applicant in Process" once you are under review. I went from "Application in Process" to "Applicant in Process" and now back to "Application in Process", which I'm thinking is a hold...

From what I understand, "Application in Process" means that they have your application but it is not being reviewed. It should then switch to "Applicant in Process" once you are under review. I went from "Application in Process" to "Applicant in Process" and now back to "Application in Process", which I'm thinking is a hold...

That's interesting, thanks for the info. I've been checking mine regularly but can't remember if it's changed back and forth. It would be nice if they said somewhere what the status means, or if they said officially if an applicant is on hold, ya know?

1) Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (150 words)

2) Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it, your reactions(s), and how it affected you. What did you learn from this situation/experience? (250 words)

3) Describe a hobby or activity other than something in health care, in which you have a keen interest. How does this hobby/activity help you fulfill your personal goals? (250 words)

I have no idea what to write for the third essay! I enjoy playing basketball and listening to music... Both are very important to me as stress relievers. Or should I say how I love to volunteer? I feel as though if I mentioned volunteering that it would seem like I am trying too hard. Any suggestions? What are you writing?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.