2008-2009 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear it's screened. Received it yesterday.

Essays:

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years​
from now.

Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

Members don't see this ad.

bozz it looks like you are the only person to get this one so far....good job!!! haha

I think it must've been a mistake lol.. if noone else have gotten it

someone must have!

Members don't see this ad :)
Somebody else posted they got it a few days ago. EVMS screens, so you're probably one of the first that has gone through.

I think it must've been a mistake lol.. if noone else have gotten it

someone must have!

I got it in the same batch as you, I am very slowly working on those 5 essays

If I've applied here before (didn't finish because I didn't send in my LORs), can I just use the same essays I did before?

I got the secondary on 7/11. I'm sure other ppl have gotten it by now too

If I've applied here before (didn't finish because I didn't send in my LORs), can I just use the same essays I did before?
With just a little tweaking, I don't see why not. Since your application probably was not even reviewed last time, I don't think you'd have to rewrite the entire essays. Maybe add a little bit about what you've been up to for the past year?

Dont they only give you like room for 4 -6 sentences?

I hope not, mine were fairly short though. I will see if they will fit later on today. If not, they are always usable for other secondaries.

Dont they only give you like room for 4 -6 sentences?

You could squeeze in a few more than that if you fiddle with the font size. No more than 10, though (and of course it depends on how long said sentences are).

I need to work on re-writing my essays from last cycle. I'm not risking using anything that's the same this go-round (especially with the EVMS peeps). I've heard horror stories about ADCOMs throwing apps in the trash if the essays (mostly just PS) are the same.

I could fit nine lines of material when I copy and pasted it over from a word document on size 11 font. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a perm. resident of any state o.0

Nothing from them yet here. OOS.

I got my evms secondary yesterday! add one more to the pile of incomplete secondaries!

10 down, 16 to go! :barf:

Just got EVMS :) Only 2 more to go

Hmm, in-state, haven't received a secondary from them yet. Are they a "silent treatment" school, or will we hear something either way?

Hmm, in-state, haven't received a secondary from them yet. Are they a "silent treatment" school, or will we hear something either way?

You'll hear from them. With your stats (peeked at your mdapps) you'll get a secondary from them, no doubt. Because they screen, it could take a little while before they send you one, though. They're pretty good, albeit a bit slow, at communicating your status.

I got an email from them today asking for confirmation on when i am scheduled to take my MCAT- sounds to me like my file will be reviewed for a secondary after those scores come out in early september

Hey, so are you guys submitting two of the same picture? How are you "affixing" it? Paper clip?

I'm planning on using two different photos, but I hadn't thought of using the same one twice. I only have one recent formal headshot, though. It's sort of annoying that they want two photos. A paper clip seems fine. It won't put holes in the photos.

Two different photos huh? Now I dont know! What did everyone else do?

I did two of the same. They probably need one photo for the application and another for some other file.

I did two of the same photo as well and used a paper clip to affix them

I'm planning on using two different photos, but I hadn't thought of using the same one twice. I only have one recent formal headshot, though. It's sort of annoying that they want two photos. A paper clip seems fine. It won't put holes in the photos.

Usually a request for 2 photos is for the same photo twice, not 2 diff shots...kind of like passport photos...

Are there any word\character limits for the essays?

What is the character limit? :scared:

I haven't received my secondary yet, but will be out of town in a few days, so I just want to prepare some ideas. :D

What is the character limit? :scared:

I haven't received my secondary yet, but will be out of town in a few days, so I just want to prepare some ideas. :D
Well it is a fillable pdf which you need to print, they do not state character limit, but one of my responses was 829 characters with spaces and it seemed to be pretty much filling up the entire given box. So maybee 900-1000 characters is the max?

I think that I calculated like 829 characters max... but it varies a little...

Just to let everybody know, EVMS will send a postcard letting you know when you're complete. I got one today, but they want a copy of my car registration instead of my driver's license (I'm IS).

EVMS is screened, so you likely haven't been looked at yet.

I know that, but I havent even gotten an email saying I am in the process of being screened.
You don't. You either get a rejection or an invite to do the secondary.

What do you guys mean when you say "screened"? Like they screen your app for a certain GPA/MCAT score?

Sorry..I am just wondering. I have been reading through your thread..I'm very interested in EVMS and it's cool to see you guys discussing it!

What do you guys mean when you say "screened"? Like they screen your app for a certain GPA/MCAT score?

Sorry..I am just wondering. I have been reading through your thread..I'm very interested in EVMS and it's cool to see you guys discussing it!
yup...most schools send secondaries to everyone....EVMS makes sure you meet some minimal requirements before taking your money.

So what are the minimal requirements for EVMS?

Still silence... has anyone verified after 7/9 gotten a secondary or rejection from EVMS?

I was verified late June and just got my offer to fill out the secondary today- I also got an email that said I would be on hold til MCAT returned- I am just thankful to not get screened out!

I was verified late June and just got my offer to fill out the secondary today- I also got an email that said I would be on hold til MCAT returned- I am just thankful to not get screened out!

Nice, congrats! I hope your MCAT comes out well. :)

hi i just got the secondary on fri and trying to fill it up. I was wondering what are you guys writing about why you want to go to EVMS. I wasn't able to find anything interesting on their website. I think they really should update their info. Anyway was wondering if someone found anything interesting about them cause i didn't. Except the pediatric research center.

I wrote about the pediatric research and the good matching for pediatrics. I also wrote about the location. Norfolk is also part of the Virginia Beach area, which is one of the largest urban areas in the US. Since I want to practice urban underserved, I also wrote about that.

hahaha it sounds almost the same as my essay ;)
I am actually really interested in pediatrics and want to work in urban areas.
So I just started researching whether the school is located in an urban area and it is :)
hmm do you know if they work with undeserved populations?

Status
Not open for further replies.