Question about PharmD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daysinnnc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this topic has been brought up numerous times but I wanted to know what yall to think about the importance of business school rank. Do you think it is necessary to get into a top 14 business school (with your PharmD) to land a good job or do you think that the PharmD/MBA combo is good enough regardless of which school you go to.

Members don't see this ad.

personally, i dont think they would know the difference, as long as u have pharm d/mba they pretty much know ur dedicated and way above average (in my opinion). I was trying to go that route, but TT doesn't offer it. My dream school would still be USC for pharm d/mba, their pretty close to tops in both and offer such program. Good choice in career path though, thumbs up! I still might consider such path as the US will continue to be innundate with regular pharm d's. Of course this is assuming u are looking into mgmt and higher up pharm positions like me!:laugh:

Why top 14? Why not top 5 or 10 or 20?
14 seems sort of arbitrary no?

Members don't see this ad :)
is pharmD/MBA worth it?
What schools are good to apply to for dual program??

is pharmD/MBA worth it?
What schools are good to apply to for dual program??

As far as I know i'm the only one in my class doing pharmD/MBA. It's tough if you don't plan for it in advance. At VCU the program in all is 5 1/2 years to get everything done (there are 7 pre-req business classes and I believe 8 or so masters business classes). Putting that on top of a pharmacy program can be a lot of work. Luckily I had done all of my pre-req's in undergrad so I started right into the masters coursework and am actually doing my first class right now. Since I had all of my pre-req's done prior to coming to pharmacy school I can still graduate with my class in 4 years. It's a lot of extra work and so far not all that exciting, but who knows maybe having those extra 3 letters will come in handy someday!

micro economics
macro economics
financial accounting
managerial accounting
corporate finanace
marketing
management

On top of those VCU also required Statistics and Business Law- but i took stats being a chem major and i talked them into waiving business law.

I would say school rank would be moderately important with most MBAs, but it may be more or less significant depending on the job you want to pursue.

I would say school rank would be moderately important with most MBAs, but it may be more or less significant depending on the job you want to pursue.

I think if you're doing it as a dual degree, where you get the MBA wouldn't matter at all. Everybody would know that you went to the school based on the pharmD program and just happen to be there for the MBA program. If you were just getting your MBA then yes it would matter because that would be your primary degree, but in the dual degree case I doubt it matters at all.

Cuz i live near RTP area in Raleigh, NC
so with having PharmD/MBA i think i can land a job in one of those pharma companies..
But the bad part is, it is gonna take forever to get my pharmD/MBA cuz i have not taken any undergraduate business class
Any advice for my decision here!!

Cuz i live near RTP area in Raleigh, NC
so with having PharmD/MBA i think i can land a job in one of those pharma companies..
But the bad part is, it is gonna take forever to get my pharmD/MBA cuz i have not taken any undergraduate business class
Any advice for my decision here!!

If I couldn't have done it in the 4 years it was going to take me to get my pharmD I would not have done it personally. Its a personal decision to make- if you can stick it out for 5+ years as opposed to 4 and think it would serve you well then go for it!

Speaking as a person actually did a dual PharmD/MBA, I honestly don't think it matters where you attend school. Unless, however, you attended Harvard or Wharton's School of Business. Aside from those two schools, I believe it could matter less where you went. I attended school for a total of 7 years (instead of the customary 6) to attain the MBA. I feel it was definitely worth it. It puts you ahead of the game should you choose to move into management and/or decide to work for a drug company.

Do you already have your PharmD or are you working toward that now?