2008-2009 Tulane Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although interests may change, at the present time, in what field of medicine are you most interested?

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g., items you collect, genre of favorites reading material).

List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during your college

What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had?

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in the Tulane University School of Medicine.

No word limits listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Although interests may change, at the present time, in what field of medicine are you most interested?

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g., items you collect, genre of favorites reading material).

List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during your college

What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had?

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in the Tulane University School of Medicine.

No word limits listed.

is it online this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a link yet? Or is it email invite only?

Did anyone else not receive their secondary yet?

They said they send out 400 per day until they clear the backlog then they will send them out as apps come in.

has anyone noticed there isnt a limit on the characters or word limit for any of the questions...

can anyone submit??? i paid the fee, but can't submit...

Does anyone who has received Tulane's secondary understand what this is on the app:

Q2 Last Attended Activities

It is on page 1. It only gives one line, so I don't think it has anything to do with extra-curriculars. Any help?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone who has received Tulane's secondary understand what this is on the app:

It is on page 1. It only gives one line, so I don't think it has anything to do with extra-curriculars. Any help?

No clue. I like how nothing that you can click on has any help information associated with it.

I also have no idea what this field is asking for. Does it have to do with reapplicants?

To get out of the tab mode...click the little notepad and pencil icon on the left. The format doesn't get much better, though.

They said they send out 400 per day until they clear the backlog then they will send them out as apps come in.
400? That seems awfully slow. I want this one soon because I'm highly interested in Tulane.

400? That seems awfully slow. I want this one soon because I'm highly interested in Tulane.

As am I and I haven't gotten the app yet.:thumbdown:

400?? why??? and why dont they send them out in the order your app was verified?

What the hell is going on with these fools??? I applied ED to Tulane, my primary was processed weeks ago, and I still haven't gotten any word about the secondary even though the deadline is supposedly Aug 1st...Up until finding this thread a minute ago I was under the impression that they were just way behind and hadn't gotten it out to anyone, but maybe they've recently started making moves.......Looks like its the same as last year, but is it all online this year?? Anyone who has gotten it already please lemme know...

same here, i was verified even before tulane (and other schools) began receiving verified apps on 6/24. Of course, i have yet to hear a peep from them.

Anyone finding the 1000 character limit kind of tough?

Anyone finding the 1000 character limit kind of tough?

There's a character limit? I didn't see any mention of that when I logged into the app yesterday...

There's a character limit? I didn't see any mention of that when I logged into the app yesterday...

Well, it doesnt state it, but when you enter your essay and then hit apply, it'll give an error. Says current 1400 for example and limit 1000.

what is the essay that has a character limit
The 3 that require writing: why you want to go to Tulane, meaningful volunteer experience and specialty question. Are you able to put in more than 1000 characters?

The 3 that require writing: why you want to go to Tulane, meaningful volunteer experience and specialty question. Are you able to put in more than 1000 characters?

you're the one that said you can't..are you asking him specifically?

400?? why??? and why dont they send them out in the order your app was verified?
What I think is going on with alot of these schools is this: they recieved a pile of primaries on the 24th, and then more and more until X day in July when they finally decided to start sending out secondaries. Now they have a big pile of applications, and they just send them out by some other system than date recieved. It is kind of unfair, because people who submitted super early are now being given secondaries weeks later than randoms who submitted later.

What I think is going on with alot of these schools is this: they recieved a pile of primaries on the 24th, and then more and more until X day in July when they finally decided to start sending out secondaries. Now they have a big pile of applications, and they just send them out by some other system than date recieved. It is kind of unfair, because people who submitted super early are now being given secondaries weeks later than randoms who submitted later.

Yup, it's a little frustrating knowing that I was verified on 6/5, but people who were verified last week are getting secondaries 1-2 weeks earlier than me.

Btw, anybody find out what "Q2 Last Attended Activities" is asking for?

Two questions that we need to get to the bottom of!

1. Do we need to send in a copy of our AMCAS?
2. How do we submit??

Any ideas or anyone know?

this is crazy...I got this bad boy an hour and half ago....Sunday morning, strange.

plus its really weird...when it asks if applying for financial aid....does that mean loans as well?

I also like how they spelled interfolio

Interefolio, inc.

woohooo! got it last night at 11:30...weird....looks like they designed this thing to be as confusing and needlessly complicated as possible

Yeah, I have no clue what to write for 'last attended activities'.

Out of all the secondaries ive done so far, this is by far the worst formatted and most ambigious.

So If I pressed the Process fee and paid the 100, does that mean im submitted?

How do I apply a fee waiver? There isn't an option on the payment page, but in the instructions they say they do honor a fee waiver if you're qualified.

How do I apply a fee waiver? There isn't an option on the payment page, but in the instructions they say they do honor a fee waiver if you're qualified.

I have a fee waiver too. We get reduced fee. You have to pay $50 to submit the application.

The impression I got from the email I received in regards to submitting the app is that they will "process" it once they receive your payment first....

I am extremely concerned about this application! I want to fill it out as quickly as possible and send it in, but I'm afraid of doing it all wrong.
Was anyone able to open the link to the instructions that was included in the email? My web browsers said they were unable to open the instructions. Maybe the instructions would get rid of some of the ambiguity -- horrible ambiguity -- of this application??? I can't figure it out at all.

I am extremely concerned about this application! I want to fill it out as quickly as possible and send it in, but I'm afraid of doing it all wrong.
Was anyone able to open the link to the instructions that was included in the email? My web browsers said they were unable to open the instructions. Maybe the instructions would get rid of some of the ambiguity -- horrible ambiguity -- of this application??? I can't figure it out at all.

The instructions link points to a Word document, not an actual webpage, and it doesn't really have anything that sheds some light on their horrible web application.

I concur it was ambiguous.. and who knows if it's really submitted... however, I'm just glad it's online at all compared to the awful paper-form last year.

I THINK I got this one sent off today. I know I got confirmation on my payment.

I concur it was ambiguous.. and who knows if it's really submitted... however, I'm just glad it's online at all compared to the awful paper-form last year.

I THINK I got this one sent off today. I know I got confirmation on my payment.

Did you put anything down for the "Last attended activities question?"

Yeah this online interface is not user friendly

Last edited:
Okay, it took me half an hour to figure out that I needed to press the edit button next to my AAMC number to edit this thing.

"List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during your college

What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had?"

When schools ask these questions, do they want us to repeat info we stated in our primay? USC asked similar questions (leadership experiences, volunteer work that made us want to go into medicine) but I don't know what to say since I already talked about this in my PS and my work/activities section. What should I be doing??

last activity attended= strip club in 9th ward.....What the heeeeeellllll is this question all about....I'm trying to submit tomorrow but am baffled by Q2...Anyone who has submitted already, let us know what you put, if anything

Has anybody called them up to ask questions? Until somebody does, nobody will know the answers here.

As for me, I would like to get this in the next few days. Sort of upset as this is the first secondary I haven't got as soon as the first batch went out.

Has anybody called them up to ask questions? Until somebody does, nobody will know the answers here.

I called the other day, but apparently their Office of Admissions closes at 4 PM CST. I'll try calling again tomorrow and post back what I find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.