2008-2009 Tulane Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I did not have any leadership positions in my clubs and organizations. Anyone else just leaving this one blank if they did not do this. I have had some but it was after college

Members don't see this ad.

If it didn't error out, that means you were fine. For one of my essays, I got a cryptic error message, where the only decipherable part was something along the lines of "1004 current, 1000 allowable." Chopped off a few characters, and it saved fine.

I'm assuming that it is in fact 1000 characters...and not "4 lines maximum" as someone posted above? Also, I'm just listing for questions that say "list" (I recognize that I'm being neurotic, ha ha)...could someone else just lie to me and say they're doing the same thing...so then I won't care :)

So I did not have any leadership positions in my clubs and organizations. Anyone else just leaving this one blank if they did not do this. I have had some but it was after college

So you took time off between college and applying? If I were you, I would go ahead and talk about those leadership positions, cos I wouldn't want it to look like I had no leadership experience. If you're worried about it, you could always insert an innocuous phrase like "after graduating I."

FYI: I got a 500 char limit error message for leadership activities, in case no one mentioned that before. This app sucks. :thumbdown: I'm going to bed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming that it is in fact 1000 characters...and not "4 lines maximum" as someone posted above? Also, I'm just listing for questions that say "list" (I recognize that I'm being neurotic, ha ha)...could someone else just lie to me and say they're doing the same thing...so then I won't care :)

one of them is 500 max, another is 1000 max. However the admissions lady said that they want short answers around 4 lines max.

IS the payment online?

one of them is 500 max, another is 1000 max. However the admissions lady said that they want short answers around 4 lines max.

IS the payment online?
Well, this would have been useful to know a few days ago...all the time i spent crafting 1000 character essays right out the window.

Not that I am looking forward to experiencing this nightmare after the posts here, I still have not received this (I know they said they were sending it out in batches, but still...) Is the username/pword something logical or is it random gibberish?

Not that I am looking forward to experiencing this nightmare after the posts here, I still have not received this (I know they said they were sending it out in batches, but still...) Is the username/pword something logical or is it random gibberish?

The username is your AMCAS ID #, but the password is 4 seemingly random numbers. If you were realllllllly bored you could eventually guess it but I'd just prewrite the essays and wait. :)

The turd has been flushed. Hopefully I'll see ya'll class of 2013

IS the payment online?

Is it the volunteer one that is 500 and the "describe your reasons" 1000?

talked to admissions today, you have successfully submitted your application when you apply changes to both pages and paid...once you get confirmation of payment you know you have submitted.

so, it doesn't really make sense that I was able to change some of my responses and essays AFTER I submitted the payment and got the confirmation e-mail...

so, it doesn't really make sense that I was able to change some of my responses and essays AFTER I submitted the payment and got the confirmation e-mail...

So there is no status check for Tulane?

They said in the instructions that it is our responsibility to make sure our materials are received. Are they asking for an onslaught of telephone calls?

wow, sounds like people are having a lot of problems...was anybody else not able to log into the application AT ALL? when i put in my username and password it gives me:

"Not Found

The requested URL /pls/apex/f was not found on this server."

anybody have this problem or know what's going on? i'm on a mac and i got the same message with both mozilla and explorer. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap. I was able to log in a few days ago (I'm using firefox on a mac), but I'm getting the "Not Found" message today as well. I was hoping some kinks would be worked out in the time I set it aside, but apparently it has only gotten worse?

ya i cant get on either!! im getting the same "not found" message...i just got the tulane secondary at like midnight last night. (i thought that was weird since i thought you usually get secondaries like m-f 9-5 haha)

11:01 am EST
Application back up.

Perhaps it was down so they could make this clarification:

"As long as you have applied your changes on pages 1 and 2 then your application will be made available to the Admissions office once the Payment has been processed. The button below will send you off site to collect the payment information. Make sure you have saved all of your changes.

Your Secondary you save at the time you process your payment will be the one submitted to the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs."

So it looks like you guys all submitted successfully as long as you saved your changes, and it doesn't matter that you can edit after payment.

This app still sucks though.

Last edited:
Tulane really needs to invest in a post-1998 application system.

A few things:
a) I appreciate the common use of the term "turd" to refer to this application. Lets keep that up.
b)Those of you having some trouble in Firefox - it might have been that the app was down, but I couldn't get it to work at all in Firefox last week and had to use Internet Explorer.
c)So if there is no status check, I think we should all call. Thousands of us.

A few things:
a) I appreciate the common use of the term "turd" to refer to this application. Lets keep that up.
b)Those of you having some trouble in Firefox - it might have been that the app was down, but I couldn't get it to work at all in Firefox last week and had to use Internet Explorer.
c)So if there is no status check, I think we should all call. Thousands of us.

And we could all mention something about the astounding clarity of the application. :thumbup:

I just got off the phone with someone at the office of admissions, and this is what she told me:

- If you've already graduated, put down what you've been doing between then and now for "Q2 Last attended activities."

I graduated 3 years ago with huge life changes in between. I can't summarize this in 8 words. Should I just write "SEE AMCAS app."

Also, the essay from the second page: "Although interests may change, at the present time, in what field of medicine are you most interested?"

Do they want us just to write a specialty or a specialty + why? No indication to explain...

I emailed them a week ago about all this and no response.

I graduated 3 years ago with huge life changes in between. I can't summarize this in 8 words. Should I just write "SEE AMCAS app."

Also, the essay from the second page: "Although interests may change, at the present time, in what field of medicine are you most interested?"

Do they want us just to write a specialty or a specialty + why? No indication to explain...

I emailed them a week ago about all this and no response.

I left it blank

Do we actually have to send them a copy of our amcas application/mcat scores, or are we complete once we've submitted the secondary and letters?

Do we actually have to send them a copy of our amcas application/mcat scores, or are we complete once we've submitted the secondary and letters?

I have the same question. I thought I heard in the past you had to send it, but do you think we can send it without the page with all the schools we applied to? And do they really need a copy of our MCAT score report? Can't they get that from AMCAS? Hmmm... this secondary is annoying!

I have the same question. I thought I heard in the past you had to send it, but do you think we can send it without the page with all the schools we applied to? And do they really need a copy of our MCAT score report? Can't they get that from AMCAS? Hmmm... this secondary is annoying!

I called Tulane last week before I submitted. They said you don't need to send in a paper copy of the AMCAS / MCAT scores. It was a requirement up until this year.

Anyone know if this is rolling? I'm thinking about applying to Tulane, and was wondering how long they took to send out secondaries.

The people there are very nice... much better than the crappy supplemental. I just called.

Anyone else having connection problems? I keep getting a 404 Not Found message whenever I try to log on to their secondary.

Anyone else having connection problems? I keep getting a 404 Not Found message whenever I try to log on to their secondary.

I think they fixed the problem now. Early today, I logged in, but when I tried to edit the application, I kept getting error messages. Then, I logged out, but couldn't log back in for a while. Now, I can log in and edit it, so I think they probably shut it down for a while to update the program.

Has anyone gotten anything from them after submitting? An email, a letter, a smoke sign, anything to indicate they are complete??

AAAAAAHHHHHH WHAT IS UP WITH THIS SECONDARY (turd)!!!!!

Has anyone gotten anything from them after submitting? An email, a letter, a smoke sign, anything to indicate they are complete??

AAAAAAHHHHHH WHAT IS UP WITH THIS SECONDARY (turd)!!!!!

Ha, I logged onto SDN specifically looking for an answer to this question. Same boat as you, submitted on 7/22 - what about you?

Holy crap this is making me angry. Anyone else get the "not a valid month" error when trying to enter the date at the bottom of the second part?

I've tried 07-31-2008, 7-31-2008, 07/31/2008, 7/31/2008, 07-31-08, 7-31-08, BBBBBBAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

This must be a secret competence test, one in which I cannot pass.

Yeah, except my error message was just a bunch on numbers and I had to figure out what the problem was on my own. Just click the calendar icon and choose the date... the format was something like 31-7-2008.

I know this is a neurotic question, but I just want to make sure I am doing something right on this confusing application. For the "single most meaningful volunteer experience", are you guys writing about a one time/one day experience (like a specific interaction with someone), or about one overall experience (like volunteering at a hospital every week for a year)??

I know this is a neurotic question, but I just want to make sure I am doing something right on this confusing application. For the "single most meaningful volunteer experience", are you guys writing about a one time/one day experience (like a specific interaction with someone), or about one overall experience (like volunteering at a hospital every week for a year)??

Yeah, a one-time interaction.

I wrote about one overall experience, who knows what they meant though, their application was very poorly executed.

Anyone have the problem that when you go to enter info into the "Q2 last attended" and it only fits like 5 words? The lady at Tulane told me at least a sentence should go there. Any suggestions?

For Q 2 and 4, when they say "list", is a bulleted list sufficient? Or should I type out in paragraph form w/more explanation?

For Q 2 and 4, when they say "list", is a bulleted list sufficient? Or should I type out in paragraph form w/more explanation?
If they say list, they mean list.

is anyone going to post their received/complete stats on here? i'd like to see when people starting receiving it..... thanks!

is anyone going to post their received/complete stats on here? i'd like to see when people starting receiving it..... thanks!

I don't think they have acknowledged anyone's app yet.

I submitted mine on 7/21 and my LORs were faxed to them on 7/22 but I haven't gotten any received/complete messages from them.

Has anyone heard anything from Tulane after submitting their secondary?

For those of you who called Tulane to check your status, what key did you press for that crazy menu??

I got a payment received notification shortly after submission, but not actual status complete notice. Wooo, misty clouds; dang-it now I'm lost in it. <That's how I feel about this application process, sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.