2008-2009 Tulane Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me choose. Got into George Washington and Tulane. Leaning towards Tulane as I liked it better. Both are the same high cost so that's not an issue (except when I have to pay my loans). Any reason to choose GW?

Members don't see this ad.

Help me choose. Got into George Washington and Tulane. Leaning towards Tulane as I liked it better. Both are the same high cost so that's not an issue (except when I have to pay my loans). Any reason to choose GW?

I have the same delima. Anyone want to help me choose b/n loyola nad Tulane?

JimK, what are your interests in the future? Are you heavily interested in public health, tropical/infectious diseases, and international medicine? if so then Tulane's a good school for all of that. Are you a non-trad student? If so, Tulane has many non-trads who you can relate with. Do you like a slower city? A city with a lot of art and culture and music? If so, then NOLA may be your place. If you are more into politics and such, then DC may be your place.

I can't speak on GW b/c I never visited the place, but Tulane students seem to be very happy w/ their choice, and from what I know, they all seem to maintain decent social lives.

So, can anyone help me w/ tulane vs. Loyola??? ;)

In order to remain anonymous from the class T1 thread, I created an alias to share some thoughts about my school as the first year winds down.

First of all, I love New Orleans. I think its a great city that has something for everyone although I am not a fan of humidity.

There is a lot of good stuff about Tulane: the city, some professors, anatomy professors are awesome. With that being said, there is a lot of bad stuff that probably would make me go back in time and go to the other medical schools I was accepted to. More so than anything, administration is HORRIBLE. Even as a student, it takes a lot of effort to sometimes to be heard. Papers get lost (my financial aid was a ***** to finalize). Our technology (video lectures) is SUCH A LETDOWN. Professors routinely forget to use it, the audio is sometimes missing, it cannot be trusted at any cost. The curriculum, which we are the transition year for, is frustrating to say the least. Anatomy was squeezed. Neuroanatomy was squeezed. Genetics was literally thrown in as an afterthought. We had like 7 tests packed into a 3 week period that gave us fits. Lastly, we are starting 2nd year classes a month before summer break for God knows why. Ugh.

I really want to like Tulane b/c I have some great friends here but there is so much that pisses me off b/c we pay SO MUCH!!!! I literally have a 70K loan for being OOS and I feel like my money is being wasted since my state school would have saved me 30K for the same education and better services.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Once again, this is only my vies of my school.

Members don't see this ad :)
In order to remain anonymous from the class T1 thread, I created an alias to share some thoughts about my school as the first year winds down.

First of all, I love New Orleans. I think its a great city that has something for everyone although I am not a fan of humidity.

There is a lot of good stuff about Tulane: the city, some professors, anatomy professors are awesome. With that being said, there is a lot of bad stuff that probably would make me go back in time and go to the other medical schools I was accepted to. More so than anything, administration is HORRIBLE. Even as a student, it takes a lot of effort to sometimes to be heard. Papers get lost (my financial aid was a ***** to finalize). Our technology (video lectures) is SUCH A LETDOWN. Professors routinely forget to use it, the audio is sometimes missing, it cannot be trusted at any cost. The curriculum, which we are the transition year for, is frustrating to say the least. Anatomy was squeezed. Neuroanatomy was squeezed. Genetics was literally thrown in as an afterthought. We had like 7 tests packed into a 3 week period that gave us fits. Lastly, we are starting 2nd year classes a month before summer break for God knows why. Ugh.

I really want to like Tulane b/c I have some great friends here but there is so much that pisses me off b/c we pay SO MUCH!!!! I literally have a 70K loan for being OOS and I feel like my money is being wasted since my state school would have saved me 30K for the same education and better services.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Once again, this is only my vies of my school.

This is upsetting! Although, I suppose all medical schools have their issues. I wonder if the curriculum stuff will be settled by next year. I hope so. I hope you, as a student, have addressed these issues with the faculty so at least they are aware of it in order to fix it. Any other thoughts?

This is upsetting! Although, I suppose all medical schools have their issues. I wonder if the curriculum stuff will be settled by next year. I hope so. I hope you, as a student, have addressed these issues with the faculty so at least they are aware of it in order to fix it. Any other thoughts?

A lot of us have tried, but the bottom line is that the majority of faculty is very laid back to the point of indifference. It really bothers me b/c this school is very expensive. Don't get me wrong, there are good people here, but they are vastly outweighed by professors with other agendas. I kid you not, we have professors on facebook partying with us at 3-4 AM after exams. I just expected a lot more maturity, that is all. I know that since some kids are reading this thread and deciding between schools, I should at least provide my opinion as well. In the end, I wish I had gone to U of Mich instead. But oh well.

Anyone heard about waitlist or "acceptable range" (always though that was a funny term) movement?

I just withdrew my acceptance today so good luck to all of you!

Hey is there a deadline to defer acceptance? if so, when?

Any word on WL movement?

I emailed Dr. Beckman and she said the wait-list movement is beginning now... but it seems no one on SDN has been pulled off yet.

As someone who knows how it feels to sit on a waitlist I thought you all would like to know that I withdrew from Tulane today. Tulane is an absolutely fabulous school and I hope that one of you will get my spot. Best of luck to all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked on the "official waitlist thread" and Tulane isn't on that list at all--has anyone heard anything?

I got in off the wait list today! I sent another LOI yesterday and got in today! YAY. Anyone need a roommate?!

I got in off the wait list today! I sent another LOI yesterday and got in today! YAY. Anyone need a roommate?!

Congrats man, I look forward to meeting you this summer.

I just spoke with someone in the admissions office (not Susana). She said "there has been some waitlist movement and it will continue until the class is full." which gave me some hope, but she later added "the class is full." So, I guess there will only be more movement if additional people drop off. At this point, that doesn't sound too good for those of us hoping to get off the waitlist.

Yaay for reapplying...? :(

I just spoke with someone in the admissions office (not Susana). She said "there has been some waitlist movement and it will continue until the class is full." which gave me some hope, but she later added "the class is full." So, I guess there will only be more movement if additional people drop off. At this point, that doesn't sound too good for those of us hoping to get off the waitlist.

Yaay for reapplying...? :(

This is how most wait-lists work. After the bolus of May 15 acceptances, it'll be more one drop, one accept. I think (at least hope!) there will be this type of movement over the next month.

If anyone is looking for a place to live, I know of a nice place in Old Metairie (very good area). It is a 2 bedroom 1 bath duplex. The tenant in the other half of the duplex is a med student. There is a nice yard with some landscaping/flowers, central heating and air, washer and dryer hookups, within 6 miles of the school, good landlords, etc. The price is $875 per month. Call Jaimie at 504-885-6585 or email [email protected]. Good luck to everyone.

This is how most wait-lists work. After the bolus of May 15 acceptances, it'll be more one drop, one accept. I think (at least hope!) there will be this type of movement over the next month.

I emailed Dr. Beckman and she said there is still some waitlist movement expected. Only 5 spots opened up so far, apparently. She said to contact her again after July 1st if there isn't any news (probably to set up an exit interview or something).

I emailed Dr. Beckman and she said there is still some waitlist movement expected. Only 5 spots opened up so far, apparently. She said to contact her again after July 1st if there isn't any news (probably to set up an exit interview or something).

Are you holding any other acceptances?

were you notified by a phone call, email or letter?

Yikes. 5 spots isn't very much

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday. Hopefully someone here gets it! Goodluck

Anyone from SDN snag the spot?

I called on thursday afternoon and there had not been any waitlist movement, but was instructed to call back on Tuesday. Maybe they are planning a committee meeting to award the spot?

I called on thursday afternoon and there had not been any waitlist movement, but was instructed to call back on Tuesday. Maybe they are planning a committee meeting to award the spot?

That's weird they asked you to call back, since Im pretty sure due to the WL thread that Dr. Beckman herself calls. Oh well, I'll call Mon and post here.

anyone here get that lucky phonecall?

anyone email dr beckmen lately? I tried on monday but still didnt get a response so im guessing that means im not getting accepted or the class is full

Weird, Dr. Beckman is usually really quick to respond. In any case, this year was definetly a bad year for the WL...I really doubt more than 10 spots were even open since the 15th.

i think waitlists have been rough at a lot of schools this year. Out of six people who were/are waitlisted that work in my lab, only one has gotten a spot, and he was on lists at 3 schools.

Just got the last spot.

Congrats, that's awesome! I wonder if that was the same spot that opened last week, or if someone else withdrew

Status
Not open for further replies.