Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone I am a third year IM resident...will be applying for hem/onc this year.

How is the prep going for the coming match session? has everyone started looking at the programs or am I the only one excited...

to be honest I havent started yet but dont know where to start. So any adivse wud be most welcome.

take care
Zorroo

I have starting my process..and am definitly nervous already! I dont really have anyone to talk to about the fellowship application process so am looking forward to using this site and communciating with all of you! On night float currently, so just spent a few hours looking over last years posts - sounds like Heme/Onc has become quite competative! Good Luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, very exciting and anxiety provoking!

Hopefully we have some more posters, so we can all benefit from our collective knowledge and experiences.

Just in case anyone was interested...

here are the NRMP results which were published in February of 2008:

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddatasms2008.pdf

This is very revealing data. Hem/Onc is definitely becoming more competitive!

when should i email programs about interest?
and does it really help? my guess is maybe +0.5%

Hi all,

I am an IMG applying for heme onc this year. I will be applying to > 30 programs and would like to know if there are any programs which will not accept any kind of visas. If we can get a list of even 10 programs that will save us $250 as applying for every program > 30 costs $25. People who applied last year would be very helpful but I haven't seen many of them back on the site after they matched:smuggrin:. So if you know through your contacts where not to apply then it will save us all a few $$

Good to find u all here! Its a good forum to share our experiences.
I am a second yr resident and struggling with PS and LORs. Does anyone know if step 3 is important for fellowship application.:confused:

To answer your question, I think you have to speak with your program director... unless you have significant research (PhD) or have a sure spot in your program, as IMG I would apply all over to a lot of programs... money sure hurts (I applied to 40 programs last year) but in the long run its worth it after you match... also going on multiple interviews will enhance your interviewing skills and help you get in the program you are aiming for... Dont think of the interviews I went to(20), anyone said 'we do not take foreign graduates with visa issue,' but obviously you have a tough fight ahead of you so I would apply to as many programs as possible...

Also Revlimid, Step 3 would like be more important for community programs. If you are thinking about doing step 3 to get a step up on ur application, I would recommend spend that time and try to publish in the upcoming conferences... most places I interviewed at only gazed at my high 80s USMLE and did not question it (although SUNY buffalo/Roswell Park wondered why I had average scores only... I ranked them last and matched at my first choice). I think spending time to work with people in both clinical/research settings and getting great LORs and publications would definitely be more valuable than Step 3... just my 2 cents!

Hi all,

I am an IMG applying for heme onc this year. I will be applying to > 30 programs and would like to know if there are any programs which will not accept any kind of visas. If we can get a list of even 10 programs that will save us $250 as applying for every program > 30 costs $25. People who applied last year would be very helpful but I haven't seen many of them back on the site after they matched:smuggrin:. So if you know through your contacts where not to apply then it will save us all a few $$

Hi All...

Just wondering? Is there a delay from the time that the EFDO receives a document (such as a LOR) and the time that it shows up as received on the EFDO Online Services website?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All...

Just wondering? Is there a delay from the time that the EFDO receives a document (such as a LOR) and the time that it shows up as received on the EFDO Online Services website?

For me, it showed up with in 3-4 days.

I think now 3 days is about right, as you approach that 12/1 deadline (first day of download) if can take 1-2 weeks, so try to get all the letters in asap

Hi All...

Do you know if we need any specific letter from California (eg CA letter) for applying to hem/onc fellowship there?

Have not heard about that.. I'm from NY, and got interview from the UC programs... you might want to call the programs you are targeting to make sure

Do you know if we need any specific letter from California (eg CA letter) for applying to hem/onc fellowship there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify... I'm a USIMG and matched in CA. You do not need a California Letter (PTAL) for fellowship. By the time you start your fellowship, you will have completed your residency training and will be board eligible for Internal Medicine. You will, however, need a full CA license prior to starting your fellowship. This process takes 6-9 months and is required of all out-of-state fellows, US grads included. None of the programs in California require you to have documentation of a pending licensing application to be be considered for interview.

Hey good to see the thread grow...

Well I am still in the middle of my application work.
I will be giving my CV and Personal statement to the attendings for the LOR hopefully coming week. Plus working on some of my research projects.

Juggling all the work together is difficult.

I am also working on making the programs list to apply. I am an IMG and planning to apply to 40 to 50 programs. Do we need to email the programs for their requirement. And does anyone have a good list to apply for IMG's specifically.

Thanks
Zorroo

Does anyone know IF UMDNJ- New Brunswick takes external candidates at all? I have never heard of anyone from my program who interviewed there. I guess thats the only good heme-onc prog in NJ-any comments?:idea:

Someone from my program matched there 2 yrs ago... last yr someone i met on interviews there also matched there, both exteral to the program..i however did not receive an interview from them..

Does anyone know IF UMDNJ- New Brunswick takes external candidates at all? I have never heard of anyone from my program who interviewed there. I guess thats the only good heme-onc prog in NJ-any comments?:idea:

Someone from my program matched there 2 yrs ago... last yr someone i met on interviews there also matched there, both exteral to the program..i however did not receive an interview from them..
Thanks for the reply back! any idea, if those 2 people were AMGs?

yes they both were AMGs, from university affiliated medicine residency programs. both were good candidates with solid resumes...

Thanks for the reply back! any idea, if those 2 people were AMGs?

does anyone know if I should emphasize BOTH in the personal statement?
I'm finding it hard to incorporate both together, I would rather put more emphasis on oncology

I'm finding it hard to incorporate both together, I would rather put more emphasis on oncology
I guess I would do both..who knows the person reading the PS is a hematologist or an Oncologist or A Hematologist+oncologist!!:D

I don't think it really matters much. You're expected to have a particular interest and it won't make that much difference which one you focus on in the PS.

Does any one know what are the IMG friendly programs in NYC area?

Of the NYC programs, Sloan/Columbia/Cornell/Sinai/NYU does value MD/PhDs with significant publications (at least in terms of giving interviews). Not sure about Einstein... Of the community programs, most of them take their own... for example, Downstate is an academic program but not in the league of the others, and they usually take in house candidates most of whom are IMGs... again it comes down to resume, and IMGs has a uphill battle and has to show strong research background to be competitive... in terms of the community programs, all bets are off, and anything can happen... hope this helps

Does any one know what are the IMG friendly programs in NYC area?

just wondering if anyone has experience with applying for both heme/onc and just onc in a few programs

Last edited:
Of the NYC programs, Sloan/Columbia/Cornell/Sinai/NYU does value MD/PhDs with significant publications (at least in terms of giving interviews). Not sure about Einstein... Of the community programs, most of them take their own... for example, Downstate is an academic program but not in the league of the others, and they usually take in house candidates most of whom are IMGs... again it comes down to resume, and IMGs has a uphill battle and has to show strong research background to be competitive... in terms of the community programs, all bets are off, and anything can happen... hope this helps
Thanks, gutonc and ghettomd for ur replies. I appreciate ur efforts to help people who are going thru application process.

Another Q: is unpublished and ongoing research good enuf to get decent interview calls?

just wondering if anyone has experience with applying for both heme/onc and just onc in a few programs
it doesnt answer ur question but just as an FYI: there are only 17 oncology-only programs. Most of them are top notched.

Last edited:
anyone know if any programs are increasing their size (more fellowships spots)?

I think we've been seeing a trend of increasing spots, and increasing applicants. Just wondering if anyone knew off-hand if this year will also see programs expanding, and if so, which programs?

anyone know if any programs are increasing their size (more fellowships spots)?

I think we've been seeing a trend of increasing spots, and increasing applicants. Just wondering if anyone knew off-hand if this year will also see programs expanding, and if so, which programs?

My program still has same number of positions-2!! Dont know about others.

i hope this thread starts to pick up, seems like only 4 people posting, 2 of them applicants

Do we need to send our medical school trancripts if we are IMG?

i hope this thread starts to pick up, seems like only 4 people posting, 2 of them applicants

I'm sure it will pick up once interview season starts...

Applying for heme/onc fellowship this year.
Lets see how it goes. Anxious times for every1 here on this forum at this time.

I have always used my 1st, 2nd, 3rd and final year medical school marksheets for transcripts...but somebody just confused me that its something else!!
Just curious, what other people are uploading for transcripts?

I have always used my 1st, 2nd, 3rd and final year medical school marksheets for transcripts...but somebody just confused me that its something else!!
Just curious, what other people are uploading for transcripts?

I didn't use the upload function. I printed out a Document Submission Form (DSF) for the medical school transcript and mailed the DSF to my medical school dean's office and they mailed an official medical school transcript to the ERAS Fellowships Document Office (EFDO).

to REVLIMID: Don't worry. That's all I have uploaded. I have no other transcripts. :)

How many programs are you applying? I have talked to some of my friends and they said b/w 30-40 is a safe bet. Are you applying in the same range?

How many programs are you applying? I have talked to some of my friends and they said b/w 30-40 is a safe bet. Are you applying in the same range?
All the fellows in my program and the attendings who wrote letters for me advised to apply all over- which means 120 programs. I think I will end up applying to 70 some programs. I am excluding few states where I would never wanna go. And later, I can pick on places during the interview season.

I've picked 55. I'm interested in academic position afterward and I don't think I have any chance getting into academic position from doing a fellowship in community hospital in the middle of nowhere with "no bridges"! :)

hmmm....be optimistic man!! its just the beginning :thumbup:

I've picked 55. I'm interested in academic position afterward and I don't think I have any chance getting into academic position from doing a fellowship in community hospital in the middle of nowhere with "no bridges"! :)
APPLY widely, INTERVIEW wisely!! - makes sense??

Does anyone know if November 15 is the day we can APPLY to programs or is that the day we can SELECT programs? :confused:

I recieved conflicting answers from reviewing the timeline on the ERAS Fellowships website and from speaking to a representative at ERAS telephone help.

Thanks for any help...

You can already select programs,
programs won't download your app until Dec 1st at the earliest

If you're applying to > 100 programs, expect to be paying > $2000 in application fees alone. But the real kicker is if you get an interview to a place in the middle of nowhere to a place you'd hardly consider going to (plane ride, hotel, transportation)

Hello all,
I am not able to apply to the programs.It says in red that I would not be able to apply at this time. On the ERAS website, it is mentioned that we could start applying on Nov 15th. Were you able to apply?Am i doing anything wrong. I have submitted my application this morning. Does it take sometime after the application has been submitted? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.