Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to every1.

( I thought I ll make it the 700th post).
surprising that the hem/onc generated more interest than cardio and GI. I think we guys are catching up with them fast.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck everyone!

I'm IMG on H1B and am skeptical about my match....(just bcos I can't imagine univ/hosp not wanting the $150K that it gets per fellow who is not on visa from NIH...at least thats what Ive heard).

I hope everyone else matches with their first choice!

ALMOST time. CAN ANYONE tell me which programs, specifically clinical community programs are the best in NYC area? Specifically, which are stronger clinically- Donwstate, Maimonides, StonyBrook, St. Vincent's ? Thanks for the input and godd luck to all.

It's totally a moot point now but I should point out that Downstate and Stony Brook are both University programs. If I was going for a community program and was looking out on LI (where Stony Brook is), LIJ is probably the strongest program and North Shore's pretty good too, both much better than St. V's or Maimo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, everyone, in the match... Vabz, the hospital will be awarded not the department, so when making decisions it may not be a big deal since they department chief won't see any of the money.. also Heme/Onc is much less biased again FMGs, despite the 50-60k difference in slot reimbursement (look at numbers of GI/Cardio vs Heme/Onc for FMGs).. FMGs with good research background in my program all matched Hopkins/Fred Hutch past several yrs...

Also, as for above post, Stony Brook is more academic than others, even though they don't have an area particularly known... Downstate is an academic center but unfortunately no research opportunity, while the patient population is great for clinical training they do lack didactics... St. Vincent is a small program with 4 fellows thus a lot of calls, big names in MDS/MM but clinical training is avg at best... Maimonides has a great PD but otherwise not a good program both in research opportunity or clinical training compared to others... and I agree with gutonc, LIJ-NS (now combined) is probably the best community program (new medical school in 2011 will make it into an academic program, has over 30 full time faculty, headed by Dr. Kanti Rai and Richard Gralla)...

Good luck everyone!

I'm IMG on H1B and am skeptical about my match....(just bcos I can't imagine univ/hosp not wanting the $150K that it gets per fellow who is not on visa from NIH...at least thats what Ive heard).

I hope everyone else matches with their first choice!

It must be my biased opinion but NY programs all together are pretty average. I think its just the culture of NY programs where emphasis is always on making the fellows scut work first and didactics later or never.

As for FMGs I think ghettomd is wrong. The % of FMGs applying to heme/onc is a lot more than FMGs applying to GI or cards. So althought the % of FMGs matching to heme/onc is high, this is all because a lot more FMGs apply to this speciality.

Last edited:
http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddatasms2009.pdf

GI: 109 of 299 matched (FMGs)->36%
Cardio: 281/663 matched (FMGs)->42%
Heme/Onc: 195/429 matched (FMGs)->45%

vs.

GI: 219/309 matched (AMG)->71%
Cardio:421/496 matched (AMG)->85%
Heme/Onc: 218/277 matched (AMG)-> 79%

From 2009 Match statistics...

It must be my biased opinion but NY programs all together are pretty average. I think its just the culture of NY programs where emphasis is always on making the fellows scut work first and didactics later or never.

As for FMGs I think ghettomd is wrong. The % of FMGs applying to heme/onc is a lot more than FMGs applying to GI or cards. So althought the % of FMGs matching to heme/onc is high, this is all because a lot more FMGs apply to this speciality.

Ghettomd..

You have proven your point with facts. I appect my mistake on this.
. It does seem to be more FMG friendly but if you look across the board the lower subspecialities are even more FMG friendly than heme/onc.

What do you think might be the reason. Lower ranked subsp. PDs just like FMGs or is it that highly qualified FMGs already know that even with better resumes they cannot compete with IMGs in GI and cards and they are better off applying in other fields with way superior resumes compared to IMGs. No offense to IMGs but thats my personal exp through the heme/onc interview season.
( I must be ruffling some feathers with this statement ) :)

Wondering if anyone has gotten any feedback from DFCI? I ranked it first but am afraid I am setting myself up for disappointment. Please help me set realistic expectations, if you can...

thanks

Thanks for the input everyone, though I guess it is too late at this point. Just for the record, Stony Brook seemed non-academic to me without a developed lecture curriculum and Downstate's faculty are all leaving including its PD. Plus, Dowstate is the scut capital of NY. Anyone else with similar experience?

On a similar note, did anyone receive any reply from PD at Northwestern or UPitt?

Did anyone got phone calls from PDs ?

Anyone game to tell their top 3. I can start
NCI
U of Chicago
UCLA

:)
Did anyone got phone calls from PDs ?

Anyone game to tell their top 3. I can start
NCI
U of Chicago
UCLA

I did not receive anything back from NCI. But I remembered you had an invitation from USC. Maybe you do not care, USC did send an email to candidates about ranking highly in the end of May.

Thank you for your interest in our USC Hematology-Oncology Fellowship Program.
We want to remind you of the tremendous and diverse clinical and research
training opportunities you will have at our facilities: USC/Norris Cancer
Hospital, the new LAC-USC Medical Center, and USC/University Hospital. We are
very proud of the recent purchase of the Tenet Hospitals by USC and we now are
expecting significant growth in our faculty. Our fellows and faculty
appreciated the opportunity to meet with you. I do hope that you found your
visit with us beneficial and that you will consider our training program as an
important opportunity for your career. We are planning to rank you very
highly.

I did interview as USC. Couple of things that I did not like were
1. zero research
2. This email that they sent out was a mass email. They could not even send us an email addressing each applicant.
3. One of the faculty member was surprised to see my research interest and plain told me that they dont have any1 in the faculty who I can match with. ( really surprised me by their attitude towards research )

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Match is in 4 days. Are we supposed to receive an email on monday saying whether we matched or not? And then on wednesday we´ll know the program? Anybody can shed some light on this?

This is all I see in the NRMP page of my login....is this it? :eek:

Match Status: CERTIFIED ROL (in green)

Hey! Match is in 4 days. Are we supposed to receive an email on monday saying whether we matched or not? And then on wednesday we´ll know the program? Anybody can shed some light on this?

There´s no email on Monday. Everything comes back on Wednesday, at once.

Ok, yes thats what I thought too....but had heard different from some people! Sounds good, we´ll see wednesday! Good luck to everyone!

Hi, good luck to everyone! anyone knows what documents to prepare for scramble? I guess we need a CV, LORs from PD etc.
thanks

good luck to everyone. I hope we all match at our no 1 choice. ameen

Matched....MD Anderson!

Congrats to all and best of luck in the future...

Matched at Northwestern! 2nd choice :)

Congrats everyone!

matched at roswell park combined hematology / oncology , 2nd choice

matched @ Moffitt (top choice) - congrats all! :D

Matched at Fox Chase! Anyone else matched there?

Matched at BIDMC, my top choice. Hope everybody's happy with where they're going; all of the folks from my program got their first choices for heme/onc!

I matched at GW!

I am going to UCLA. Anyone else going there?

Darkisde, congratulations! We met in Yale or Hopkins (I think...)
NYMD1, parabens! ;)

I am going to UCLA. Anyone else going there?

Darkisde, congratulations! We met in Yale or Hopkins (I think...)
NYMD1, parabens! ;)
Hey Helops, matched at the Hutch (top choice). We met at NIH remember me.
Raj

Matched at UNC-Chapel Hill. Anyone else match there?

Congrats to everyone who matched. I am an IMG, didnt match to hem onc this year. Planning on doing more research and reapply after gettting my green card. Could some one (IMG) with similar background, apply after GC share their experinece i nthis match, ? research background, like no . of interviews and interview experience? thanks

I'm an IMG dude on H1B visa and I know exactly how difficult it is to get matched in to Heme/Onc. I got 8 interviews from decent places (see previous posts).
I had extensive research (9 publ), a MS in Epi, 2nd yr resident in a community program with good letters (who doesn't). Didn't have good scores and seriously it doesn't matter....let me know if you have any more ques.

I can give you some inside information. For H1s anf J1s its getting more tough.They cannot go on the NIH grant. Most fellowship programs these days are in the RED.
The clinical rotations are paid by the hospital but the research months prog has to pay out of pocket. They are better off taking some1 with lesser resume but with GC or nationality because those guys can go on the NIH FUNDING and the program does not have to lose money.

you just have to keep your head down and keep on working towards your goal.

Last edited:
I'm an IMG dude on H1B visa and I know exactly how difficult it is to get matched in to Heme/Onc. I got 8 interviews from decent places (see previous posts).
I had extensive research (9 publ), a MS in Epi, 2nd yr resident in a community program with good letters (who doesn't). Didn't have good scores and seriously it doesn't matter....let me know if you have any more ques.

I am just quoting VABZ (congratulations!! I am a bit surprised that you ranked MSKCC in 4th) because I can't figure out how to post a new message here. Anyways, I have been a guest until today and just registered. I am also an IMG (PGY1 in small university program, some research background with publications and GC) and applying this year.

Unlike many people in this forum, I know some people with great credentials but not matched or matched in programs on the bottom of their lists..scared the s of out me. I know that most of us are reluctant to share credentials, which is totally understandable, I just hope we share useful information here this year too.

Matched at UCLA (first choice). Congratulations to everyone who matched this year!!!:highfive:

Anyone started the app process yet? Any advice from previous successful matchers would help.

Does anyone know anything about the Univ of Miami Heme/Onc Program (Jackson Memorial, etc.)? I am very interested in this program (ideal location).

Hi, I'm wondering what are the criteria that they look at for a heme/onc fellowship application? I have no clue as I'm only a pre-health, thanks.

Hi, how much does medical school matter in deciding whether I will get into a really good hem/oncology fellow program.

I'm faced with a decision whether to go to an Israeli medical school or go to an osteopathic school. I just don't know which one I'll be better off with.

Can someone tell me how being an IMG or a D.O. will effect my my career?

Status
Not open for further replies.