Anyone interested in Anesthesiology Rotation or Observership??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apma77

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the director of anesthesia at one of the major tertiary hospitals in atlanta Georgia. we will soon be offering anesthesiology observerships and clinical rotations (depending on what foreign or american school you are from).

Obviously, your medical school or yourself will have to pay the cost of training during this one month or two week elective.

If interested, contact me at the following email address with your resume:

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to Clinical Rotations Forum...

but as an aside, why are you charging for the rotation?

Most medical schools do not charge for visiting electives (outside of the some of the big names like Harvard). I realize there is cost incurred to you and yours, but since the process seems to entail goodwill between schools of medical education I am curious why you would do differently.:confused:

every clinical rotation students do incur a cost...most often the school will pay the cost (they have a contract with the hospital) since the student is paying school tuition...for non- current students such as FMGs out of school they have to pay their own cost

there is no such thing as a free rotation..whether you are a US student or FMG

Members don't see this ad :)
every clinical rotation students do incur a cost...most often the school will pay the cost (they have a contract with the hospital) since the student is paying school tuition...for non- current students such as FMGs out of school they have to pay their own cost

there is no such thing as a free rotation..whether you are a US student or FMG

I beg to differ. We are not talking about the cost of medical school rotations but rather charging students an additional fee for an elective rotation outside of their home institution.

I did several elective rotations as a medical student and didn't pay for a single one, nor did my school (outside of paying for my malpractice insurance which they were paying anyway). Baylor charged me an application fee and for health insurance, but it was a nominal fee.

We never charged visiting students when I was a resident or fellow, nor were our students charged when they went elsewhere for electives, Sub-Is, etc. Yes, the student is paying tuition for medical school, but it appears that your rotation is charging *extra* on top of the tuition the student is already paying his home institution. I can understand charging for an application fee since there is some additional work involved, but your post seems to indicate that it is more than this.

Thus, my question...since most US schools do not charge extra tuition or fees for visiting electives, why are you?

This is not meant as an attack on what I assume to be a fine institution or rotation, but I am trying to understand the reasoning behind charging people for an elective. I can understand a fee for the non-student, although presumably since they are only eligible for an observership, this should be pretty nominal (ie, how much does it cost you to have someone around with no clinical duties, no requirement for malpractice, who is essentially watching?)

we are not a university hospital therefore there has to be a financial incentive for our attendings to have students...otherwise no one in private practice wants students..plus we have to pay attendings extra to do didactic lectures for the students

i had done a 2 week away rotation at a private hospital (not university program) and they didn't charge tuition as it was covered under my own school's tuition costs. In fact, private or public, I have yet to hear being charged for doing an away rotation.

we are not a university hospital therefore there has to be a financial incentive for our attendings to have students...otherwise no one in private practice wants students.plus we have to pay attendings extra to do didactic lectures for the students

I think that unfortunate.

My partner and I have two students rotating with us this summer for which we accepted nor expected any pay.

we are not a university hospital therefore there has to be a financial incentive for our attendings to have students...otherwise no one in private practice wants students..plus we have to pay attendings extra to do didactic lectures for the students

This is definitely unfortunate. I feel strongly that medical professionals have an obligation to mentor those coming through the pipeline. I'm pretty sure you won't get any US medical students rotating with you, since the medical schools seem to have reciprocal agreements with eachother allowing students to rotate at only a minimal additional cost. The most expensive of my rotations was less than $200 and it's through one of the "big name" medical schools. I wouldn't pay to rotate at a community hospital when there are many community rotations available for free. (one of the community rotations I was interested in even offered free housing)

I wish to take that opportunity Doctor....I am undergraduate egyptian student...i could be in the Us at the 10th of september...