Lets discuss questions of NBDE 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d dimps

d dimps
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1). .Which angle does a P Wave makes on ECG?
a). .45 degree
b). .180 degree
c). .0 degree
d). .-45 degree
e). .-180 degree.

2). .What is endogenous cholesterol? Most endogenous cholesterol is converted to?
a). .Glucose
b). .Cholic acid
c). .Steroid
d). .Oxaloacetete
e). .Ketone bodies

3). .Which of the following statement is correct regarding Glioblastoma multiforme?
a). .the tumor is most common before puberty
b). .it is classified as a type of meningioma
c). .it is most common type of Astrocytoma.
d). .Its prognosis is generally more favourablethan Grade 1 astrocytoma.
e). .It is derived from the epithelial lining of ventricles

4). .Which of the following pathological changes is irreversible?
a). .fatty changes in liver cells
b). .karyolysis in myocardial cells
c). .glycogen deposition in hepatocyte nuclei
d). .hydropic vacuolization of renal tubular epithelial cells.

5). .An example of Synergism is the effect of?
a). .insulin and glucagon on blood glucose
b). .estrogen and progesterone on uterine motility
c). .growth hormone and thyroxine on skeletal growth.
d). .Antidiuretic hormone and aldosterone on potassium excretion.

Members don't see this ad.

1). .Which angle does a P Wave makes on ECG?
a). .45 degree
b). .180 degree(ANS)
c). .0 degree
d). .-45 degree
e). .-180 degree.

2). .What is endogenous cholesterol? Most endogenous cholesterol is converted to?
a). .Glucose
b). .Cholic acid
c). .Steroid(ANS)
d). .Oxaloacetete
e). .Ketone bodies

3). .Which of the following statement is correct regarding Glioblastoma multiforme?
a). .the tumor is most common before puberty
b). .it is classified as a type of meningioma
c). .it is most common type of Astrocytoma.(ANS)
d). .Its prognosis is generally more favourablethan Grade 1 astrocytoma.
e). .It is derived from the epithelial lining of ventricles

4). .Which of the following pathological changes is irreversible?
a). .fatty changes in liver cells
b). .karyolysis in myocardial cells (ANS)
c). .glycogen deposition in hepatocyte nuclei
d). .hydropic vacuolization of renal tubular epithelial cells.

5). .An example of Synergism is the effect of?
a). .insulin and glucagon on blood glucose
b). .estrogen and progesterone on uterine motility
c). .growth hormone and thyroxine on skeletal growth.(ANSWWER)
d). .Antidiuretic hormone and aldosterone on potassium excretion.

1:180
2:CHOLIC ACIDS.. ACTUALLY ENDOGENOUS CHOLESTEROL IS THE CH SYNTHESIZED BY THE BODY MAINLY LIVER. THE CHOLESTEROL POOL OF THE BODY IS USED FOR 3 MAIN FUNCTIONS; synthsis of bile /bile salts/ 2: STEROID SYNTHESIS 3: SYNTHESIS OF VLDL. SO I FEEL BOTH STERIODS AND CHOLIC ACID ARE RIGHT ANSWERS
3:tumor of astrocytoma
4:karyolysis of heart cells
5:gh and th on skeletal growth.

Last edited:
1)deficiency of which enzymes can lead to cataract?
a)galactokinase
b)glucokinase
c)aldose reductase
d)Galactose 1-p-uritidyltransferase
e)both a and d

Members don't see this ad :)
THANKS dreamchaser and missiondds.....
but the answer to this is e) both a and d ie both leads to cataract coz deficiency of both will accumulate a layer of galatose on the lens of the eye and more of the water will be absorbed hence it will lead to cataract...........

1)Which angle does a P Wave makes on ECG?
a)45 degree
b)180 degree
c)0 degree
d)-45 degree
e)-180 degree.

p wave makes a semicircle....... so the angle of origin of p wave with x axis of ECG should be 45degress....

2)What is endogenous cholesterol? Most endogenous cholesterol is converted to?
a)Glucose
b)Cholic acid
c)Steroid
d)Oxaloacetete
e)Ketone bodies

3)Which of the following statement is correct regarding Glioblastoma multiforme?
a)the tumor is most common before puberty
b)it is classified as a type of meningioma
c)it is most common type of Astrocytoma.
d)Its prognosis is generally more favourablethan Grade 1 astrocytoma.
e)It is derived from the epithelial lining of ventricles

4)Which of the following pathological changes is irreversible?
a)fatty changes in liver cells
b)karyolysis in myocardial cells
c)glycogen deposition in hepatocyte nuclei
d)hydropic vacuolization of renal tubular epithelial cells.

5)An example of Synergism is the effect of?
a)insulin and glucagon on blood glucose
b)estrogen and progesterone on uterine motility
c)growth hormone and thyroxine on skeletal growth.
d)Antidiuretic hormone and aldosterone on potassium excretion.

i hope it works 4u

[SIZE=-1] Photoreceptors release more neurotransmitters:
a. in brighter light
b. in darkness
c. only when stimulated by bipolar cells
d. none of the above

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]All postganglionic neurons bear these receptors:
a. alpha adrenergic
b. beta adrenergic
c. nicotinic
d. muscarinic

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The parasympathetic nervous system affects all of these organs EXCEPT:
a. heart
b. pupillary smooth muscles
c. salivary glands
d. adrenal glands[/SIZE]

[size=-1] photoreceptors release more neurotransmitters:
A. In brighter light
b. In darkness
c. Only when stimulated by bipolar cells
d. None of the above

[/size]
[size=-1]all postganglionic neurons bear these receptors:
A. Alpha adrenergic
b. Beta adrenergic
c. Nicotinic
d. Muscarinic

[/size]
[size=-1]the parasympathetic nervous system affects all of these organs except:
A. Heart
b. Pupillary smooth muscles
c. Salivary glands
d. Adrenal glands[/size]

answer 2: Nicotinic.
Answer 3: Adrenal gland.

The explanation to this is:The rod and cone photoreceptors signal their absorption of photons through a release of the neurotransmitter glutamate to bipolar cells at its axon terminal. Since the photoreceptor is depolarized in the dark, a high amount of glutamate is being released to bipolar cells in the dark. Absorption of a photon will hyperpolarize the photoreceptor and therefore result in the release of less glutamate at the presynaptic terminal to the bipolar cell.
Every rod or cone photoreceptor releases the same neurotransmitter, glutamate. However, the effect of glutamate differs in the bipolar cells, depending upon the type of receptor imbedded in that cell's membrane. When glutamate binds to an ionotropic receptor, the bipolar cell will depolarize (and therefore will hyperpolarize with light as less glutamate is released). On the other hand, binding of glutamate to a metabotropic receptor results in a hyperpolarization, so this bipolar cell will depolarize to light as less glutamate is released.

So i think the answer is none of the above .Correct me if im wrong.

a. in brighter light
b. in darkness
d. none of the above

correct ans is -in darkness

explanation?????????
[/SIZE]

a. in brighter light
b. in darkness
d. none of the above

correct ans is -in darkness

explanation?????????
[/SIZE]

The rod and cone photoreceptors signal their absorption of photons through a release of the neurotransmitter glutamate to bipolar cells at its axon terminal. Since the photoreceptor is depolarized in the dark, a high amount of glutamate is being released to bipolar cells in the dark.....

Ya you are right

Members don't see this ad :)
calcium homeostasis maintaind by which of the following by binding to the nuclear receptor??
pth
calcitonin
vit d

masticatory or chewing movt is in what shape??

i think PTH is the most responsible hormone for Ca metabolism.
So ans is PTH.

And mastication - 'tear drop' like shape

Correct me if i m wrong

calcium homeostasis maintaind by which of the following by binding to the nuclear receptor??
pth
calcitonin
vit d

Calcium homeostasis is maintained by the PTH hormone.

Masticatory movement is like a drop, it is given in dental deck of dental anatomy in a figure form....u can see it in Mand-M & P

ya dental material..u r correct..that what has confused me...i wanted to knw wt among these tk help of nuclear receptor...wt exactly this nuclear receptor is??

ya dental material..u r correct..that what has confused me...i wanted to knw wt among these tk help of nuclear receptor...wt exactly this nuclear receptor is??

I think ans is Vit D...as it is steroid hormone....remember cholesterol is precursor for vit d.......steroid hormone can cross the plasma membrane and bind to nuclear receptor.

guys i have one confusion regarding inclination of teeth in sagittal plane and frontal plane.

Ques :Which primary molar is the most atypical of all the molars in the primary and permanent?
1) primary mandibular first molar.
2) primary maxillary first molar.
3) primary mandibular second molar.
4) primary maxillary second molar.

Pth
calcitonin
vit d

the answer is vit d. Vit d is a fat souble vitamin(more so a hormone). Which acts by binding to receptors present on the surface of nucleus.

Pls note both pth and calcitonin are polypeptide hormones or water soluble hormones.. Hence act by binding to receptors present on cell surface. Swtich intracellular messengers via g proteins/ ca /etc

ques :which primary molar is the most atypical of all the molars in the primary and permanent?

it is the primary mandibular first molar

The rod and cone photoreceptors signal their absorption of photons through a release of the neurotransmitter glutamate to bipolar cells at its axon terminal. Since the photoreceptor is depolarized in the dark, a high amount of glutamate is being released to bipolar cells in the dark.....

Ya you are right

rods and cone photoreceptors are not depolarized by light.

1)What is the differential factor between deficiency due to Pyridoxine (Vit B6) and Riboflavin (Vit B2)

a)Chelosis
b)Cracking of lips/scaling of lip borders.
c)Stomatitis.
d)Magenta colored tongue

The cell membrane is LEAST permeable to which of the following substances?

A. O2
B. CO2
C. H2O
D. Sodium
E. Ethanol

3. in a highly acidic environment, the GC content of DNA is
a. highest
b. intermediate
c. low

2. LEAST likely to metastasize to bone?
a. kidney
b. colon
c. thyroid
d. breast
e. tongue

A. O2
B. CO2
C. H2O
D. Sodium(answer)
E. Ethanol

a. highest(answer)
b. intermediate
c. low

a. kidney
b. colon
c. thyroid
d. breast
e. tongue
(answer)

sodium needs a carried for transport o2/co2/ethanols are easily permeable.

i am not sure of this one but..but might be assocated with denaturation...

toungue

A. O2
B. CO2
C. H2O
D. Sodium
E. Ethanol

a. highest
b. intermediate
c. low

a. kidney
b. colon
c. thyroid
d. breast
e. tongue (Ans)

exp:1)
The following substances can pass through the cell membrane:
Nonpolar molecules (example: lipids)
Small polar molecules such as water
The following substances cannot pass through the cell membrane:
Ions and charged molecules (example: salts dissolved in water)
Large polar molecules (example: glucose)
Macromolecules
exp:3)The carcinomas that commonly metastasize to bone are prostate, breast, kidney, thyroid, and lung carcinomas. One study showed that nearly 90% of patients with these types of carcinoma had bone metastases. Among the carcinomas that less commonly metastasize to bone are cancers of the skin, oral cavity, esophagus, cervix, stomach, and colon

Ques :Which primary molar is the most atypical of all the molars in the primary and permanent?

answer is maxillary 1st molar... its the most atypical tooth of all molars. resembles nothing in permamant dentition.source of info kaplan notes.

no primary max 1st molar resemble wd permanent max premolar
primary man 1st molar is most atypical tooth n most difficult primary tooth to restore

no primary max 1st molar resemble wd permanent max premolar
primary man 1st molar is most atypical tooth n most difficult primary tooth to restore

pls mention where are u coating this information from? my kaplan notes says thoughprimary molar are atypical... mandibular 1st molar resembles permanent molars and maxillary molar 1st is thwe most atypical tooth.

pls mention where are u coating this information from? my kaplan notes says thoughprimary molar are atypical... mandibular 1st molar resembles permanent molars and maxillary molar 1st is thwe most atypical tooth.

no..dreamchaser is right...primary mand molar is most atypical..it doesnt resemble anything.

Its written in one of the dental decks that the primary 1st mandibular molar is the most atypical tooth and it does not resemble any other primary and permanent tooth..............
But its also written in another deck that it appears to be intermediate in form and development between a premolar and molar so out of the both which is most atypical????????????????
If you know then plz explain.................

no..dreamchaser is right...primary mand molar is most atypical..it doesnt resemble anything.

i have written what my kaplan notes says in bold letter... pls mention u r source of info... thre is little discrepancy in this informastion. but i ll find the right answer.ll keep posted.

Its the mandibular primary 1st molars which are most atypical as they resemble nothing but primary maxillary 1st molars according to some authors resemble premolars . [ source is dental anatomy buk]

which of the following not found on surface of enamel?
1 perikyamata
2 enamel tufts
3 enamel lamellae
4 enamel matrix
the ans is 2.:confused:.. how is true? doesnt enamel tuft move to enamel from DEJ?

which of the following not found on surface of enamel?
1 perikyamata
2 enamel tufts
3 enamel lamellae
4 enamel matrix
the ans is 2.:confused:.. how is true? doesnt enamel tuft move to enamel from DEJ?

Enamel tufts are fan shaped ,hypocalcified structures of enamel rods they project from DE jxn into enamel proper but they don't appear on the enamel surface.............
enamel spindle,perikymata and other appear on the enamel surface.....

yes,d dimps is right.Enamel tufts extend from DEJ to the enamel,but only 1/3rd to 1/5th of the enamel proper,not the entire thickness ,hence not found on the surface..

can some one please tell me how to know the direction of mandibular movement based on arrow pointing towards the tooth and away from the tooth and which is right working movement direction

arrow indicate the movement of opposite tooth like if arrow on max teeth pointing towards incisors that means it is indicating that mandible teeth are moving forward

in working movement---working side is one in which mandible is moving during lateral movement like if mandible move towards right side then right is working side

1)What is the main difference between the deficiencies in Caramoyl phosphate synthetase and Ornithine Trans Carbamoylase?

a)Hyperammonemia.
b)cerebral Edema
c)change in Uracil/orotic acid levels
d)convultions,coma and death.

1)What is the main difference between the deficiencies in Caramoyl phosphate synthetase and Ornithine Trans Carbamoylase?

a)Hyperammonemia.
b)cerebral Edema
c)change in Uracil/orotic acid levels
d)convultions,coma and death.

first of all i think the question is incomplete.. is it carbamoylase synthase1 or carmabamoylase synthase 2.. , former is an enzyme of urea cycle latter is an enzyme of purine metabolism...

if it is cs 1 deficency of cs1 and ornithine transcarbomylase will lead to the SAME CLINICAL PICTURE .. ie elevated ammonia/ brain damage/ ******ation( if genetic) edema/ coma/ death...ONLY DIFFRENCE BTWEEN THE TWO IS THE WAY THIS HYPERAMMONEMIA IS INHERITED, IN CS1 IT IS AUTOSOMAL RECESSIVE WHILE IN ORNITHINE TRANSCARBOMYLASE IT IS SEXLINKED.

IF IT IS CS 2 and OTC DEFICIENCY DIFFRENCES THN THE ANSWER COULD IS C. COZ ALL THE SYMPTOMS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH OTC DEFICIENCY EXCEPT C.

Can somebody explain to me how ACETYL CHOLINE have a negative inotropic effect on the atria and not ventricles????????

A)Out of all which one is the major cause of death in USA?
a)Atherosclerosis.
b)myocardial infarction.
c)congestive heart failure.
d)valvular defects.
e)congenital heart diseases.

Status
Not open for further replies.