Ever make the mistake of thinking the 90's weren't that long ago.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find that I make this mistake alot when talking to younger people at my job or younger pre-meds. I'll be talking about something cultural or political that happenned in the nineties and the person will have this blank look on their face. I'll act like they should know it cuz "it just happened in 95 or 96 etc." Then I think to myself, "wait, that was 13 years ago. you were like nine years old, then."

Makes me feel old.

That and having to pluck ear hair before my med school interviews. (well...actually my wife does that.)

PS I was training a young 20 year old pre-med at my job the other day. He kept repeating himself about something and I teased him that he sounded like a broken record. He looked at me for a second and said "What does that mean? How am I broken?"

Members don't see this ad.

You should be like: "You're like totally whack dude. I mean you're a freaking broken Ipod, what with repeating yourself like that?"

Most Gen-Y don't know what a record is, you might have had a better reception if you changed "record" to "Apple Ipod" or "mp3". Keep up with the times oldtimer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ever make the mistake of thinking the 90's weren't that long ago.
How about the '80s? (Some of us are REALLY old.):)

I spent 2 years volunteering at a hospital premed program, where I was 20+ years older than the other students. A nurse I was friendly with told me that some students on the previous shift, who were suggesting that a doctor get in touch with me, referred to me as "the old lady on the next shift." But the funny part is that they clearly meant "old" purely as a descriptive term, on the order of "the red-haired guy." (If 45 is "old," what's 65?)

When talking to people half my age, whenever I found myself starting a sentence that began, "Do you remember that song ..." or "that movie," etc., I just closed my mouth on it. There was no way they were going to know what I was talking about. (Although I WAS thrilled to find that my partner actually knew who Monty Python was!)

How about the '80s? (Some of us are REALLY old.):)

Welcome to the jungle!

I remember being shocked at how old I was the first time I heard a radio station playing hits from "the 60s, 70s, and 80s."

Of course, that was back in like '93.

I also remember the night my wife commented on how VH1 had started playing pretty cool music. Another "damn, we're old" wake-up call.

Oh yes, I am totally with you on this (except the ear hair thing...I don't have any ear hair :D).

I was just telling friends at dinner tonight about how in an online class I am taking right now (GPA booster), we have to post on discussion boards for part of our grade. One post turned to the topic of Iraq, and one post by a traditional student remarked that "9/11 was like 5-6 years ago". :eek: I posted on the Susan Smith case a couple of weeks ago and none of them, except the other old farts, knew what I was talking about.

I was shocked the other day when one of my college-aged babysitters (for my kids, not me) had never heard of the movie "There's Something about Mary". :oops: I *am* surprised, however, that my sitters know a ton of 80s and even 70s music. Of course, this make perfect sense because I personally believe the 80s to be unequaled in terms of quality of music, so everyone should know it!

Welcome to the jungle!

I remember being shocked at how old I was the first time I heard a radio station playing hits from "the 60s, 70s, and 80s."

Of course, that was back in like '93.

I rember about 5 years ago hearing the radio tag line "the greatest oldies in Colorado" after they played "The Boys of Summer" by Don Henley, and screaming back at the radio in protest.

I posted on the Susan Smith case a couple of weeks ago and none of them, except the other old farts, knew what I was talking about.

I was shocked the other day when one of my college-aged babysitters (for my kids, not me) had never heard of the movie "There's Something about Mary". :oops:

Susan Smith wasn't really that long ago, was it? :scared: Seems like only a few years ago, but I guess it's a lot more than that. Eek!

College-aged kids who don't know "There's Something About Mary" ?!? :eek: Although I guess if I was in high school when it came out, then they were in grade school and not allowed to see it. :laugh: (Random aside: I remember being really young and being at the video store and thinking I couldn't wait until I was 18 so I could rent all those movies I was never allowed to see . . . never did it!)

Speaking of video stores (which are almost extinct now, I suppose), a couple months ago my husband and I returned a DVD case w/o the DVD in it (oops!) When we brought it in the DVD, I said something atrociously goofy (speaking of getting old, I'm getting more like my mother in chit-chatting with strangers!) about how that never happened with VHS . . . and my husband pretended he didn't know me. :laugh:

Oh, and I discovered the other day (literally) that I have crow's feet. :( I raced to my wedding album to verify that they weren't there two years ago, and they weren't . . . from pics, it looks like they showed up in January (right about the time I was getting rejections en masse last year). So, I've decided this whole med school application process has accelerated my rate of aging! Just another reason to hate all this wrteched waiting and jumping through hoops! :eek:

So, I've decided this whole med school application process has accelerated my rate of aging!

Me, looking in mirror: "Do you think my hair has started graying at an accelerating rate?"

Husband: "Yes."

(We're still married. Amazingly. :))

You now what, I just realized that I still have a collection of ceramic "Millenium Edition Plates" emblazoned with the Year 2000 that my family bought in 1999 to celebrate New Years. I'm keeping them in the family and thinking about pulling them out and using them in 2080 whenever my grandkids or great-grandkids come to visit me. I'll be so old by then that my grandkids will be like, "Grandpa's so old that his plates are from 2000".

the 90s were NOT that long ago... these students are just culturally ignorant. Im a college student and still have vhs tapes, 90s music cds, and remember all the movies and tv shows from the time. I was very young but it was impossible not to listen to michael jackson or watch full house or ninja turtles. I love the 90s!

Cultural stuff my M1 classmates have not known when myself or other non-trads have brought it up:

• Popeye (someone said they'd pay me later for a free fork they were taking from my small group lab; I told him he was like Wimpy- "I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"- and he and 3 other people had NO CLUE)
  • Ryan White or any conception of why he was important
  • Ditto Matthew Shepard
  • Michael Jackon's Thriller- one guy asked me what the song was while we were at a bar b/c he'd never heard it
  • 8-tracks
  • Several people have expressed shock and awe that I made it through my bachelors and grad school (grad '98) without PowerPoint
  • Similarly, they cannot believe email didn't exist until I was a senior in college
I'm sure there's more. That's just what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduated college (the first time) in 2002, and none of my current classmates can figure out how I made it through without Facebook. And they make faces when I told them I had a cell phone my freshman year, but it was emergency use only and it stayed in the car. They don't understand how I communicated without it - I explained we had phones in our dorm room. Blank stares.

I didn't have a cell phone until late high school and most people used pagers befoehand. now I see thirteen year olds walking around with razors and other phones.

btw, pingouin, I used the same joke (popeye) with others and nobody except my brother gets it so don't feel bad.

how about these:
-I get blank stares when I say 'cowabunga'

-how many remember getting disconnected from the internet when someone calls so pll started getting multiple phone lines.

-the happy happy joy joy song.

-vanilla ice. Run DMC, and LL coool J.

Ha, my first cell phone in '93 was this big clunker that literally was about 10" long x 4" wide and weighed at least a full pound. The antenna on the thing was another 4". It was ridiculous. It was a "perk" of my job that required me to drive around a lot.
I'm still amazed at how small my cell phone is, and that it is so light, and can do so much more than call people. :D
I found my first white hair about 8 months ago. Not gray--but white. You know how redheads don't go gray, but just go white? Like that. I've been plucking them a few at a time every few weeks. It's distressing.

As I was reading this thread, my wife said "You gotta get rid of that one white eyebrow before you interview."

Also, I was at some store during a study group and mentioned that the music was great (def leopard, the police, etc.). And all I got in return was "I've never heard any of these songs before. Are they new or something?" Ain't it great to be old.

How about car phones?? :laugh: Yes, I had one briefly.

Ha, my first cell phone in '93 was this big clunker that literally was about 10" long x 4" wide and weighed at least a full pound. The antenna on the thing was another 4". It was ridiculous. It was a "perk" of my job that required me to drive around a lot.
I'm still amazed at how small my cell phone is, and that it is so light, and can do so much more than call people. :D
I found my first white hair about 8 months ago. Not gray--but white. You know how redheads don't go gray, but just go white? Like that. I've been plucking them a few at a time every few weeks. It's distressing.

I had one of those big motorola cellphones at my first medic job. took up my entire back pocket and then some. a buddy of mine had a cell phone in his car (volvo turbo) in the 80's but his folks were rolling in money.
no gray hair yet but my family tends to gray very slowly. I had a grandmother who lived to 88 and had about 50% black/50% gray when she died. she was dying it gray for a while to look like her friends but it always looked silly when the roots came in black.
went to my 20 yr high school reunion a while ago. lots of really old looking folks there. they didn't have nametags and most of us didn't recognize the majority of our classmates. I think I will probably skip the 30 as the 20 was too depressing. I ended up sitting with the same friends I still see regularly anyway and paid a lot of money for a bad dinner and a crowded club full of strangers.....
ps- got my first cell phone 2 yrs ago and hardly ever use it. I have a pager and folks know to page me and I call them back. the cellphone is in my pocket all the time but almost always off. I charge it maybe 3 times/yr. yes, I'm a luddite. I like film in my camera too.

How bad is it that VH1 already has an "I love the 2000s" program??!! I mean..hello..its still the 2000s..

How bad is it that VH1 already has an "I love the 2000s" program??!! I mean..hello..its still the 2000s..

lol. I heard about that. Am I a total nerd for wanting PBS, Discover, or History channel to do programs like "I love the 1870s" or "I love 400s BC"?

:laugh: I KNOW!!!!!!!!! I was pretty blown away by that one!

lol. I heard about that. Am I a total nerd for wanting PBS, Discover, or History channel to do programs like "I love the 1870s" or "I love 400s BC"?

Not at all. I cancelled my HBO earlier this year, but not until after John Addams had been aired in completion.

Ryan White or any conception of why he was important

I was so sad when I realized this. One of our professors said, "oh, you are all probably too young to know who Ryan White is" and I thought surely she must be wrong - how could you not appreciate how significant Ryan White - med students no less, but when I scanned the rest of my class they all had blank stares. They really didn't know who he was. But I looked it up, he died in 1990, before most of them were out of diapers.

Ah, memories. When I was in high school, I had my own phone line (no cell phone) and no email address. I didn't even know how to use email. I had my first email address when I went to college. I didn't get a cell phone until my senior year and most people had land-lines so it was hard for people to call me because it was technically long distance. I remember when people had car phones. I also remember when telephones had curly plastic wires attaching the receiver to the rest of the phone. It was huge when cordless phones were invented and went into wide use. Also, I remember when answering machines started to become more common. At one point, they really weren't! And caller ID- that was a big deal when it went into wide use.

Also- records. When I was really small, I used to listen to records. Many of my classmates have never owned a record player.

I'm not even that much older- things changed so fast!

When I was in high school, I had my own phone line ...

When I was in high school, my entire family had ONE phone, which was black and attached to the kitchen wall. (It had an extra-long cord, though.)

I didn't get a cell phone until my senior year ...
Ahem. I didn't get a cellphone until I was 36 years old.

Also, I remember when answering machines started to become more common. At one point, they really weren't!

Yes. When I was in college, there were no cellphones and most students didn't have answering machines on their dorm phones. So we used to have dry-erase boards on our room doors for other students to leave us messages. (Of course this was before email too.) Seems so quaint now.

I feel like I should go on to say that I wove my own cloth, hauled water from the well and walked to school barefoot over dirt roads.:)

I was shocked and horrified when I made a reference to David Hasselhoff in a conversation with my 17 year old cousin and she didn't know who David Hasselhoff was. So I said, "He was the star of Baywatch." Who doesn't know that? She said, "What's Baywatch?" I'm only thirteen years older! It's probably still in syndication somewhere! A worldwide phenomenon (albeit a ridiculous one)--and she has no idea. So my husband and I reenacted the intro to the show, singing the song and running in slow motion towards the "camera" and then even showed her online. She said, "People actually watched this?" (Granted, I said the same thing when it first came out.)

I was shocked and horrified when I made a reference to David Hasselhoff in a conversation with my 17 year old cousin and she didn't know who David Hasselhoff was. So I said, "He was the star of Baywatch." Who doesn't know that? She said, "What's Baywatch?" I'm only thirteen years older! It's probably still in syndication somewhere! A worldwide phenomenon (albeit a ridiculous one)--and she has no idea. So my husband and I reenacted the intro to the show, singing the song and running in slow motion towards the "camera" and then even showed her online. She said, "People actually watched this?" (Granted, I said the same thing when it first came out.)

LOL that made my day! :)

As I was reading this thread, my wife said "You gotta get rid of that one white eyebrow before you interview."

:laugh: My wife said something similar... I was reading that thread that details bizarre interview moments and my wife tells me I need to dye my hair before I go to the interview (in two years). Personally, I think lots of gray hair at 30 will make me a more memorable candidate.

When I was in high school, my entire family had ONE phone, which was black and attached to the kitchen wall. (It had an extra-long cord, though.)

Um, yeah. My mom still lives like this. Actually, she has two corded phones (whoa there!). (The black one attached to the wall is in the basement. The other is *gasp* freestanding!!) She also REFUSES to . . . um . . . switch from ROTARY DIAL to TOUCH TONE. :eek::eek: (that was hard to admit, even on an anonymous message board). :oops: She's doing it "on principle" because she was downsized from her job with Ameritech (now At&T) 15 years ago, and she's trying to be their last "hold-out" on rotary dial. Somehow, I don't think they care. :laugh: The worst part is that she has voicemail (she hates how answering machines will cut you off), but she CAN'T CHECK IT with her rotary dial! :rolleyes: (Good thing they have touch tone at her office! :rolleyes:)

So, for Christmas last year, I convinced her friend to get her a cell phone (one of those "Go" phones, so she doesn't have to have a contract), if for no other reason than to be able to check her own stinkin' voicemail. I'm happy to report that she finally asked me to show her how to use it this past summer. :rolleyes::laugh: Yay, progress!!

I'm thinking this year's gift should be a microwave! :D (sadly, I'm serious about this too.)

I was shocked and horrified when I made a reference to David Hasselhoff in a conversation with my 17 year old cousin and she didn't know who David Hasselhoff was.

Good Lord, how could ANYONE not know of The 'Hoff?? He's even on that "America's Got Talent" show . . . and I have to believe he's still the butt of jokes and ridicule in pop culture. That kind of notoriety doesn't just fade away!

I'm 22 and I can relate...does that make me mentally old? :(

Ahem. I didn't get a cellphone until I was 36 years old.

Yes. When I was in college, there were no cellphones and most students didn't have answering machines on their dorm phones. So we used to have dry-erase boards on our room doors for other students to leave us messages. (Of course this was before email too.) Seems so quaint now.

I feel like I should go on to say that I wove my own cloth, hauled water from the well and walked to school barefoot over dirt roads.:)

omg, they don't have those dry-erase boards on dorm room doors anymore???

when I went to college there was no email and no internet. Only the nerds had their own computers, which did not have hard drives, just those big removable disks. Everyone else went to the computer lab to write their papers. Computers also had no graphics, no pictures of any kind.

My first year in college, I wrote papers on an electric typewriter.

When I was a kid, you had to pay the phone company for each phone in your house. We had an "illegal" phone in the basement in addition to the one in the kitchen.

I'm in my early 20s, but my family was seriously behind the times when I was growing up. I had 8 tracks until I was about 10, and I think I bought my first CD around 2000...

Anyway, I still make references to 80s music and receive nothing but blank stares - how do my classmates not know about depeche mode or the eurythmics?! How do they not remember that a broken cassette tape could almost always be fixed with a pencil? Although, I think the best moment was when I taught myself to type using a word processor, went in to high school all excited, and had about 20 people all stare at me and ask what a word processor was...sigh.

I remember using my 2100 baud modem to dial up bulletin boards that were all text, no graphics. Still took 30+ minutes.

I had a mini-disc player in my car in the late 90's before there were CD burners. I still think it was better technology.

I also remember learning how to program in DOS.

Sadly, HCA's computer system Meditech is programmed in DOS. Seriously. I use it at work everyday...

I have enjoyed reading the "age-shock" stories in this thread. Having been a non-traditional pre-med and medical student, graduating medical school in 2001 and being 20+ yrs older than my classmates, I can appreciate the "rude awakenings" that reminded me that I was a child of a completely different age and planet:

1. When the pathology professor was attempting to demonstrate inflammation and chemotaxis, i.e., the "rolling of the cells," by playing the theme from Rawhide ("keep rolling, rolling, rolling . . .keep them dogies moving . . .Rawhide") -- no response from majority of class when reminded that this theme was from a former TV show

2. When reviewing mesothelioma, the pathology professor mentioned two celebrities who had suffered from it
-- Steve McQueen: Who is he?
-- Andy Kaufman: Blank stares from majority of class (this was before the biopic movie, "Man on the Moon" had been released)
Ever hear of the TV show, "Taxi?"

3. Watching the classic movie, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", and realizing that my classmates probably recognized none of the 58 funniest and most renown comedians of all times.
Go rent the movie and watch it with your friends -- see how many of the comedians you and your friends can name

I believe that Robert Browning said it best:
"Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be,
The last of life, for which the first was made. . ."

Incidentally, I am now in my mid 50's and applying for my state medical license for the first time. I love it!

Sadly, HCA's computer system Meditech is programmed in DOS. Seriously. I use it at work everyday...

ha, my hospital uses Meditech too! People are always complaining how hard it is to use, and it seems so straightforward to me. :p I finally figured out that a big part of the reason is that I learned to use computers before there was this thing called the "mouse." Moving around the Meditech screens with arrow keys and returns is very intuitive to me, and baffling to the younger crowd.

That would be AWESOME!

I had a 23 y/o tell me I'm old for being psyched about going to a madonna concert. Really? Uhhhhhh, ok. I mean, she opens with a DJ! Of course, same person doesn't recognize U2 songs either.

lol, yes sadly this thread describes my generation very well, and I hate to admit being associated with them at times. I was actually one of those children that was fairly aware of the world around me at an early age, and current events/politics was a favorite topic in my family so there was no getting away from it even if I wanted to! Also, my parents were still pretty young when I was born, so I was raised with all the culture of the 80s and 90s. I know most of 80s and 90s bands but almost none from the last 10 years

- I even collect records :p

This thread is too good to let it die.
I was so sad when I realized this. One of our professors said, "oh, you are all probably too young to know who Ryan White is" and I thought surely she must be wrong - how could you not appreciate how significant Ryan White - med students no less, but when I scanned the rest of my class they all had blank stares. They really didn't know who he was. But I looked it up, he died in 1990, before most of them were out of diapers.
Ryan White didn't come up in my class during our HIV discussions, but Jesse Helms did. There was one day in class where one of the profs mentioned Jesse Helms, and then said, "but none of you would remember him." I said, "I do! Who could grow up in the South and not know who Jesse Helms was??? He spent the late 1980s fighting against government HIV funding!" All of my classmates started laughing like hell. :oops:

And caller ID- that was a big deal when it went into wide use.
The birth of caller ID was fortunately well after my budding career as a crank caller. Seriously, I used to regularly crank call the kids I didn't like when I was in middle school. I'd use fake voices and they never figured out it was me. If we'd had three-way calling too, oh, the fun I could have had with that....How sad that now young teens can't torture their enemies by telephone without being detected. :laugh:

That would be AWESOME!

I had a 23 y/o tell me I'm old for being psyched about going to a madonna concert. Really? Uhhhhhh, ok. I mean, she opens with a DJ! Of course, same person doesn't recognize U2 songs either.
That's just weird. I'm 24 and grew up listening to Madonna and U2. Maybe that's part of why I'm so warped...

You guys are totally cracking me up, but I feel you. Anyone been in Target lately? Have you seen what's in the Jr's section? Total back to the future, 1983 fashion. Same with what's on the pop stations the last year. I feel like I've been swallowed up into a time warp. But here's the cool thing about it - I am now the arbiter of cool for my volunteers. I've turned them on to the Cure and the Sugercubes, and the joy of vintage clothing. OMG... I have cred, just for living to 40. (BTW, that happens tomorrow. ;) ).

My first son was born in the 80's. Ouch! :eek: Oh yeah - I too grew up with a rotary phone. Too funny.

Last edited:
I had a mini-disc player in my car in the late 90's before there were CD burners. I still think it was better technology.

My husband would agree 100%! He adored mini-discs and was shocked they didn't catch on. (I think he's bitter that he was on the leading edge of a technology for once, and it happened to be something that didn't pan out!)

Speaking of things that fell by the wayside, how about T-tops? My husband's first car (the car of our first dates) had T-tops. I'm guessing they didn't quite make it because they were kind of a pain in the arse - not nearly as hot as hitting a button and having your roof fold down!

What about Laser Discs? Those behemoths were bigger than records...absolutely SHOCKING they didn't catch on. I had a boyfriend who bought a whole bunch of 'em and just couldn't let 'em go.
:laugh:

Laser nothing, I still have some cassette tapes!

It's not that I actually like them (they're a pain in the butt, actually), but there are a few out-of-print albums that I only have on cassette. I guess I'd better have them transferred to CDs before the tapes fall apart.

Laser nothing, I still have some cassette tapes!

It's not that I actually like them (they're a pain in the butt, actually), but there are a few out-of-print albums that I only have on cassette. I guess I'd better have them transferred to CDs before the tapes fall apart.

Why transfer to CDs when you could just copy them onto new tapes? Come on, you must own a dual-cassette boom box with high-speed dubbing, right? Or are you not cool?

I have enjoyed reading the "age-shock" stories in this thread. Having been a non-traditional pre-med and medical student, graduating medical school in 2001 and being 20+ yrs older than my classmates, I can appreciate the "rude awakenings" that reminded me that I was a child of a completely different age and planet:

1. When the pathology professor was attempting to demonstrate inflammation and chemotaxis, i.e., the "rolling of the cells," by playing the theme from Rawhide ("keep rolling, rolling, rolling . . .keep them dogies moving . . .Rawhide") -- no response from majority of class when reminded that this theme was from a former TV show

2. When reviewing mesothelioma, the pathology professor mentioned two celebrities who had suffered from it
-- Steve McQueen: Who is he?
-- Andy Kaufman: Blank stares from majority of class (this was before the biopic movie, "Man on the Moon" had been released)
Ever hear of the TV show, "Taxi?"

3. Watching the classic movie, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", and realizing that my classmates probably recognized none of the 58 funniest and most renown comedians of all times.
Go rent the movie and watch it with your friends -- see how many of the comedians you and your friends can name

I believe that Robert Browning said it best:
"Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be,
The last of life, for which the first was made. . ."

Incidentally, I am now in my mid 50's and applying for my state medical license for the first time. I love it!

Congrats on the licensure!! : )

I've seen "Its a Mad Mad World" three times! I was born in '90 but grew up on TCM, I think its sad that a lot of this generation is missing out on these great films. I have a growing collection of classic horror films that I always try to get my friends to watch...I'm surprised how many people haven't seen "Night of the Living Dead" or even heard of it!

Congrats on the licensure!! : )

I've seen "Its a Mad Mad World" three times! I was born in '90 but grew up on TCM, I think its sad that a lot of this generation is missing out on these great films. I have a growing collection of classic horror films that I always try to get my friends to watch...I'm surprised how many people haven't seen "Night of the Living Dead" or even heard of it!

You should also check out Peter Jackson's first feature, a B zombie movie called "Dead Alive". It's awesome B-movie fun.

Why transfer to CDs when you could just copy them onto new tapes? Come on, you must own a dual-cassette boom box with high-speed dubbing, right? Or are you not cool?

Lol. You know how many tapes I ruined by accidentally leaving them in the car on a hot summer day? Oy!