Ever make the mistake of thinking the 90's weren't that long ago.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
impossible because no one here is old, therefore your logic is seriously flawed.

Write about your reaction to this in a meaningful and well reasoned essay. Give two contrasting examples of the POV you choose. You have 30 minutes to complete this assignment.

I'm 22 and I can relate...does that make me mentally old? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, I remember TA-ing in lab one time and someone said there was a problem. Like any respectable person my age would do, I replied with "If there was a problem, yo I'll solve it". I actually thought I was being too generous as at least it wasn't an 80's song. Yeah, no. Got these weird looks and stares. I had to whip out the MP3 player and give them a real education.

:D

I'll do you one better. When I was a kid Jerry Springer was mayor of my hometown (Cincinnati), 2 years after he resigned from city council for being caught frequenting a Kentucky prostitute because he paid her with a personal check. After his political career he was a respected anchorman for local cincinnati news.

The Jerry Springer Show didn't start until I was in college. Boy, was it a bizarre feeling the first time I saw it.
As a native Cincinnatian, I will remind you of two things:
1. Springer got caught because the check to the prostitute BOUNCED.
2. This incident happened when his Down syndrome-diagnosed daughter was less than a year old. What a family man...

Also as a native Cincinnatian, it was BIG NEWS when hometown hunk George Clooney hit the big time with a stint on The Facts of Life. OK, technically he's from Augusta, KY, but close enough. And his dad was one of our news anchors, too. (Channel 12?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would ave looked at you weird too. And not just because I'm weird looking.

Seriously I have no idea what that is about... lol.

Haha, I remember TA-ing in lab one time and someone said there was a problem. Like any respectable person my age would do, I replied with "If there was a problem, yo I'll solve it". I actually thought I was being too generous as at least it wasn't an 80's song. Yeah, no. Got these weird looks and stares. I had to whip out the MP3 player and give them a real education.

:D

If that damn song wasn't stuck in your head all day (thanks, btw, 7Starmantis :p ), then it's probably best you not "check out the hook" while our DJ 7Star revolves it...

My phone went off in lab the other day, I made a joke about it being the "bat phone" and I had to answer it when it rang (I actually did have to answer it) which a few people got since it was on Entourage, but no one knew the ring except the lab instructor.

My ringtone: Wreckx 'N Effect - "Rumpshaker"

Remember this? In 1987 this phone was meant to impress. lol.

gordongekko.jpg

HEY, I used that phone as a medic for call ins...that must mean I'm how old? never mind....

I find that I make this mistake alot when talking to younger people at my job or younger pre-meds. I'll be talking about something cultural or political that happenned in the nineties and the person will have this blank look on their face. I'll act like they should know it cuz "it just happened in 95 or 96 etc." Then I think to myself, "wait, that was 13 years ago. you were like nine years old, then."

Makes me feel old.

That and having to pluck ear hair before my med school interviews. (well...actually my wife does that.)

PS I was training a young 20 year old pre-med at my job the other day. He kept repeating himself about something and I teased him that he sounded like a broken record. He looked at me for a second and said "What does that mean? How am I broken?"

The 90s weren't that long ago were they???? :confused: :eek: :(

Faculty Member: The 25th anniversary of the cell phone is today.

Me: Man.. I can't believe it's been that long. I remember life before cell phones.. you were lucky if you had call waiting!

23 y/o classmate (condescending tone of voice): You're not *that* old. WE remember that, too.

Me: Umm... it's the 25th anniversary. Aren't you only 23?

Yeah, but the phenomenon of every Average Joe having a cell phone didn't start until around 2000. A person born in 1985 probably remembers when cell phones were only for CEOs and surgeons.

Im not a remember the lyrics kinda girl too much...

Really? But who can forget such amazing lyrics as:

All I wanna do is zoom-a-zoom zoom zoom and a boom boom.

Luckily I married a girl who thinks Silk is as hot as I do! LOL!
I know some of you HAVE to remember some Silk, right? Keith Sweat? At least some Bel Biv DeVoe! lol

How dare you!

Education as follows:

All right stop collaborate and listen
Ice is back with my brand new invention
Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop yo I don't know
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle
Dance go rush to the speaker that booms
I'm killing your brain like a poisonous mushroom
Deadly when I play a dope melody
Anything less than the best is a felony
Love it or leave it you better gain weight
You better hit bull's eye the kid don't play
If there was a problem yo I'll solve it
Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
I'm going to dye a blond strip in my hair, then get Mr. Brownstone to shave some strips in my eyebrow before we head down to Paradise City. I've heard the grass is maintained well there, and the girls are nice looking.

As an aside, I can't elucidate the feeling I had the first time I heard songs from Appetite for Destruction on a classic rock radio station. It was somewhere between amazement that I've actually lived this long, and fear that I'd better get my ass in gear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love some old school hip hop/R&B. Silk? Shai?

Naughty By Nature?

all of that stuff is on my iPod, and it's funny if you ever have it playing with the millennials... they're like O_O OMG what's that??

I'm going to dye a blond strip in my hair, then get Mr. Brownstone to shave some strips in my eyebrow before we head down to Paradise City.

Nah... Tropicana's where I lost my heart.

Don't they wonder how Snoopdog got his name?

You're assuming kids today still know who Snoop is...

As an aside, I can't elucidate the feeling I had the first time I heard songs from Appetite for Destruction on a classic rock radio station. It was somewhere between amazement that I've actually lived this long, and fear that I'd better get my ass in gear.

Right! I've heard Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc on classic rock stations before and about lost my mind. I was talking to a student outside not too long ago and my friend drove up to talk. He had Pearl Jam...jamming (only way to play it) and he was like, ooh, I like them who is that. I said um... Pearl Jam. He said, huh? Is that a new band?

:smack:

I couldn't believe it when I heard songs from U2's Achtung Baby on the local classic rock station. :eek:

And a young classmate of mine tonight had never heard of the song Detachable Penis. :idea:

Oh man, just remembered one of the best songs of the 90's.

Once there was this kid who....
Got into an accident and couldn't come to school, but
when he finally came back, his hair, had turn from black into bright white

Love that song! For some reason, Detachable Penis made me think of it.

How about the Kids in the Hall...I made a Headcrusher joke the other day and got nothing but blank stares. I was such a KITH fan and it broke my sad little heart.

How about the Kids in the Hall...I made a Headcrusher joke the other day and got nothing but blank stares. I was such a KITH fan and it broke my sad little heart.
ERADICATOR! I can't play squash without screaming that at least once! :laugh: Sorry dude, even when it was on-air folks who live more than 20 miles south of Detroit didn't know who they were.

This thread is awesome.

My lab partner in one of my classes was born after the collapse of the USSR. That kind of blew my mind. :eek:

Also, he only knows who Michael Jordan is from his comeback with the Wizards, and another guy in that class only knows Michael Jordan from the movie Space Jam.

This is a funny thread...there were a group of girls in one of my biology classes who weren't exactly sure what a communist was! (and I'm sure you can forget about the 'cold war', what with all the global warming and all)

I know some of you HAVE to remember some Silk, right? Keith Sweat? At least some Bel Biv DeVoe! lol

That girl is poison! (never trust a big butt and a smile).....words to live by :)

Bel. Biv. Devoe. Now you know. Yo slick! Blow.

My favorite (?) reminder of my age so far has been when a Chem prof brought up "cold fusion" and the two chemists who claimed to have achieved it years ago, "though I doubt any of you remember that." You should have seen the looks I got when I mentioned that I not only remembered it, but also remembered seeing one of the scientists on Carson before the whole claim came unraveled.

Second look at Vanderbilt, discussing school choices with other potentials, had to realize that all the songs that pop into my head that seem relevant to the discussion would be completely unappreciated were I to start singing them while giving them looks like "awww, totally"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40c6iAEHpc

Second look at Vanderbilt, discussing school choices with other potentials, had to realize that all the songs that pop into my head that seem relevant to the discussion would be completely unappreciated were I to start singing them while giving them looks like "awww, totally"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40c6iAEHpc

I just had that "awww, totally" look when I clicked your link.

Made me remember one of my favorite of all time songs from the 90's.....

Mr. Wendell!!

My roommate's 22 and there are a lot of songs I talk about that she's never heard. Here's what gets me though.... I mentioned Saved by the Bell and she had no clue what I was talking about. Never heard of it. :eek:

That just kinda blew my mind. I'm not THAT much older than she is....

(yes, they did have a TV at their house growing up)

We were listening to Pandora at work the other day when Mr. Jones by Counting Crows came on. It occured to me halfway through the song that I knew every single word and there are kids in high school who have never heard it. Yes, that made me feel old.

I think I might break down sobbing if I met someone who had never seen The Far Side. Oh, the humanity!

Never trust a big butt and a smile...

Haha, oh my god, I was just ripping a bunch of cds and came across Silk...I am pretty sure I'm the only one within 50 miles with that one.

Do you remember Nemesis? I still dance around to S.O.U.L.