Systems based curriculum vs. traditional based

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yowhatup

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a systems based/organs based curriculum vs. a traditional based curriculum? Also generally what is easier to excel in? Finally, which has more grading (tests).. a curriculum which is sytems based or traditional based?

Members don't see this ad.

The difference between different curriculums isn't really how much "easier" one is than another, or the type of testing scheme used. The difference is in how the information is grouped together.

Some schools will teach by dividing everything into courses like "micribiology", "pathology", "immunology", "pharmacology", etc (I believe this is what you mean by the traditional curriculum). Other schools will have classes like "circulation", "metabolism", "blood", etc. where information about microbiology and the like is interspersed and divided up by organ system. Which style is easier to learn really varies from student to student, but at the end of the day, all schools teach the same information, regardless of how they structure their curriculums. They will all test all of the material, and I seriously doubt that difficulty level varies much from one school to another.

If you are looking for a school where it is "easier" to do well, you may want to look more at schools' grading schemes than their curriculums. Many schools are pass/fail these days, and there are quite a few who do not curve medical grades - meaning that every student has the potential to honor a class...or fail it.

The difference between different curriculums isn't really how much "easier" one is than another, or the type of testing scheme used. The difference is in how the information is grouped together.

Some schools will teach by dividing everything into courses like "micribiology", "pathology", "immunology", "pharmacology", etc (I believe this is what you mean by the traditional curriculum). Other schools will have classes like "circulation", "metabolism", "blood", etc. where information about microbiology and the like is interspersed and divided up by organ system. Which style is easier to learn really varies from student to student, but at the end of the day, all schools teach the same information, regardless of how they structure their curriculums. They will all test all of the material, and I seriously doubt that difficulty level varies much from one school to another.

If you are looking for a school where it is "easier" to do well, you may want to look more at schools' grading schemes than their curriculums. Many schools are pass/fail these days, and there are quite a few who do not curve medical grades - meaning that every student has the potential to honor a class...or fail it.

I'll echo the above that most people capable of getting into med school are capable of succeeding in either environment.

I've heard arguments for both. I'm in a more "traditional" curriculum with good integration and I'll tell you a few reasons why I like it. Let me say before hand that I'm in no way bashing a systems based curriculum.

My school breaks M1 down into the Biochem block (Cell bio, histo, biochemistry, genetics, etc), the Human Structure and Development Block (Anatomy and Embryology), then the Behavioral and Neuroscience blocks taken simultaneously. This means you are able to focus on some very related materials that all have to do (for the most part) with the normal function of the human body. The fact that you're not trying to study the krebs cycle at the same time you're trying to learn the brachial plexus lets you manage the material and stay in the same mindset for a few months at a time.

M2 is broken into the Immunity and Infection block (Immunology, Bacteriology, Virology, Parasitology, Mycology, Infectious Diseases, and the relevant pharmacology), then there's the Organ Systems block which is primarily Pathology, Physiology, Pharmacology moving through each organ system one at a time assuming you already learned the relevant normal anatomy and histology the previous year and a brief refresher is all you'll need. The advantage of this setup is that the M2 year reflects the majority of the USMLE's focus. If you've mastered the content of M2 you'll have a strong foundation for your USMLE prep.

Anyway, this is why I like the way my school's curriculum is set up. You need to find a curriculum that you think you'll do well with.

Reactions: 1 user