Ohio State Rejection Email.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucknut2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the Ohio State rejection:eek: email I received this afternoon....enjoy

November 19, 2008
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thank you for applying to The Ohio State University College of Dentistry.* At this time, our Admissions Committee is unable to offer you an interview or admission to our dental program.** I realize that you have been patiently waiting to hear from our office and this is not the decision that you were hoping for.* Please know that I do understand your disappointment and your frustration.*
There are many applicants who are in the exact same situation as you.* You may be wondering how someone with your academic credentials and experiences would not be granted an interview.* Please allow me to provide you with some important information in order to assist you in understanding our process and how interview decisions are made.**
During this cycle, our office has received over 1000 applications for approximately 100 seats.* This year’s applicant pool is, once again, the most competitive one in the history of our College.* Our new admissions website has played an enormous role in attracting more top notch candidates than ever.* We do realize that our applicant pool changes from year to year.* As a result, what was competitive in the past has turned out to be not so competitive this year.* No one could have predicted the strength of this current applicant pool.* Based on our current information, we are looking at the possibility of seating a truly exceptional class with an average GPA of 3.75 (or higher), average science GPA of 3.7, a DAT AA of 20 and a DAT PAT of 20.*
Your grades and DAT scores are very, very important.* Why?* Your academic record is a strong predictor of success in our rigorous dental school curriculum.* Your academic record provides us with a numerical and objective way of ranking over 1000 applicants.* Your completed application was assigned a numerical score based on all of the following: GPA, DAT AA, DAT PAT and non-academic experiences record.* Your application was then numerically ranked according to this score.* This year, the scores ranged from low 60’s to low 90’s. Those applicants who received the highest scores received interview invitations.*
Our method of ranking allows us to be impartial and non-discriminatory.* All applicants are treated equally – there is no bias.* There are no bonus points for who you know or for making large donations to our College.* With so many applications, fairness to all is crucial, and, using this objective method to rank applicants is a must.
This year, only 180 of more than 1000 total applicants received an interview invitation.* We realize that your GPA or DAT scores may be quite high, but those with even higher scores have also not been invited for an interview.* In fact we have not invited some applicants who have perfect grade point averages of 4.0, DAT PAT scores of 28, and, DAT AA scores as high as 23.
Do we consider more than just grades and scores?* Absolutely. Yes, it is important that you have your heart set on Dentistry, that you have a strong desire to become a dentist, and, that you are motivated to achieve this goal.* Yes, it is important that you are compassionate and want to serve those in your community.* Yes, it is important that you are a well-rounded person with a friendly and enthusiastic personality.* In addition to all of these “non-academic” traits, you must also have stellar academic credentials.* Numerous strong non-academic traits will not compensate for a lower GPA and average DAT scores.* Why?* Because we have numerous applicants who have both – we have applicants who are motivated, dedicated, enthusiastic, friendly AND have outstanding grades and scores.* That is the reality of our applicant pool as it exists today.*
I hope that this information serves to help you better understand our decision.* I do understand that you may not agree with our process or our selection methods, but please know that our process is supported by our College administration and faculty.* Please realize that for every 1 applicant who is accepted into our program, we have more than 10 who are very disappointed they did not get accepted.* Again, I do understand your disappointment.
Our decision concerning your application is final, there is no option to go back in time and change it.* What our Office of Admissions staff can do is to assist you in going forward.* Our admissions counselors will be available beginning in mid-February to walk you through the process as a re-applicant, to discuss realistically how to proceed, and, how you compare to those in the current accepted class.* Please contact our office at 614-292-3361 to schedule an appointment.* For further information on advising, please visit http://dent.osu.edu/admissions/advising_appointments.php.*
In addition, our office is planning on hosting a seminar in the late winter or early spring for all re-applicants.* This seminar will stress the reality of the applicant pool and how to become more competitive.* Look for information to be posted soon on our website.
On behalf of the Office of Admissions, I wish you all the best with your future educational pursuits.
Sincerely,

Joen M. Iannucci, DDS, MS
Director of Admissions
Professor of Clinical Dentistry - Section of Primary Care

Members don't see this ad.

holly ****!!! 3.75?!!!!
i got an interview but my gpa is only 3.4 and A.A. 20, PA 23.
i think it's waste of my time to go to the interview on Dec 6th.
now im scared.

holly ****!!! 3.75?!!!!
now im scared.

Is Ohio State known for having such a high GPA in past yrs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Ohio State known for having such a high GPA in past yrs?

No, I am pretty sure that the numbers they posted last year on their website for their GPAs were quite a bit lower...I was really surprised and disheartened based on how I compare now versus their year ago numbers.

No, I am pretty sure that the numbers they posted last year on their website for their GPAs were quite a bit lower...I was really surprised and disheartened based on how I compare now versus their year ago numbers.

I'm sorry. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the cycle. Keep your head up!!

holly ****!!! 3.75?!!!!
now im scared.

No worries, I got the rejection letter from them but my friend interviewed there and they don't send out acceptances until after all interviews are completed. Plus, you have to figure getting the interview is the hard part.

Those are some ridiculous stats...I'm grateful for my single interview.

They said (at my interview) that the D1 class right now had a gpa of around 3.7. Also at my interview (for out of staters) the avg. gpa was 3.8. It's crazy. I have a friend who is a D1 there right now and they called him on Nov. 30 with his acceptance. Just some info for you all.

This year Ohio State has an interview on Dec 6th, and will notify all applicants of acceptance on Monday, December 8th by phone. Ohio State's incoming classes have been becoming more and more competitive, as the email states.

EDIT*: Out-of-state applicants will be notified Dec 1st, the Dec 8th date is only for in-state, since the Dec 6th interview is in-state

I was a re-applicant this year, applied last year with a 3.65 GPA / 20 AA / 24 PAT and was not offered an interview. My GPA slipped to 3.60, but I am very glad now that I retook the DAT (see new scores below), and I was granted an interview Nov 8th.

Fingers. crossed.

Bucknut - I know how that feels, I got a email like that last year. Please make an appointment with the counselors, they were a great help to me last year. Get to know them and be in constant contact, retake the DAT, up your GPA, whatever you need to do. Good luck

I don't really believe the 3.75 GPA average thing. That would be a jump of .23 over last years average. That is almost a whole letter grade. Just a thought. I would definitely say don't get discouraged if you are below this and still have an interview. 105 slots with only 180 people interviewed. As far as I know, those are some of the best odds if you are given an interview. While, i was at my interview, they made it sound like nearly everyone on the waiting list gets in as well.

I don't really believe the 3.75 GPA average thing. That would be a jump of .23 over last years average. That is almost a whole letter grade. Just a thought. I would definitely say don't get discouraged if you are below this and still have an interview. 105 slots with only 180 people interviewed. As far as I know, those are some of the best odds if you are given an interview. While, i was at my interview, they made it sound like nearly everyone on the waiting list gets in as well.

All but 1 out-of-state got accepted from the wait list last year. To be expected, as the out-of-staters are usually leagues above the average and get offers all over the country to choose from. The 3.75 average probably translates into a 3.6-3.65 average for ohio residents, but I don't think they're lying when they say the average is 3.75. It wasn't 3.50 last year either... http://dent.osu.edu/admissions/statistics.php 3.69 accepted

I was just going off what is officially listed by the ADA. Someone is wrong I guess.

I got the same email. I thought I stood somewhat of chance for getting an interview because of a decent ratio for accepting out of state. I'm starting to wonder what other schools look like this year like like NYU, Temple, Boston, Kentucky, Pitt etc... I for one used predents to compare the posted stats to mine and applied to a few of those schools to give me a better chance. Hopefully we can get an updated record on this stuff soon.

I would have expected any schools to write such kind rejection letters.

If I had a dental school its rejection letter would read:

Sorry, we weren't able to offer you a spot this year. Please apply again next year so we can take your money.

Thanks
Contach Dental Schools of Contach State.

I'm sorry about your letter. Good luck next year.