*** Official HARVARD Acceptance thread 2009 cycle***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckiLeigh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooooo excited - never thought they would ask me to attend there!
:love:

Members don't see this ad.

I just got in as well!!! I am so happy and excited!! We should start a facebook group :)

Me too! Just got a call from Anne Berg in the middle of my spanish class. I saw the 617 area code, and just got up in the middle of class! When i came back in and told the teacher what happened she was so excited she gave me a huge hug in front of everyone haha.

And I second the facebook group. Anyone want to make it?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One more here!

I got a call from Anne Berg around 11 am this morning.

Pretty stoked!

Congratulations!!! I heard this afternoon that I'm in too. How exciting!! I can't wait to find a good deal on a Harvard sweatshirt online, hah!

I just created a facebook group. Here's the link! http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=38793222338

Looking forward to seeing you guys on fb. Congrats again!!! Woohoo!!

So are all you guys definitely thinking you're going? I can't decide....
If we fill out FASFA early will finaid work something up for us? Harvard price tag is a tad high....

Did you guys get your official letter yet??

If we fill out FASFA early will finaid work something up for us? Harvard price tag is a tad high....

Hmm that's a good question that should probably be brought up to Harvard's financial aid lady, Ann D. I heard she's great. I'm speaking with her next week over the phone, because I'm also a little freaked out by the cost. Even so... I'm pretty bent on going to Harvard. I don't know about you guys but I absolutely loved my visit there! Everyone was so nice, and I'm really drawn to the unique curriculum... not to mention the beautiful campus!

Hmm that's a good question that should probably be brought up to Harvard's financial aid lady, Ann D. I heard she's great. I'm speaking with her next week over the phone, because I'm also a little freaked out by the cost. Even so... I'm pretty bent on going to Harvard. I don't know about you guys but I absolutely loved my visit there! Everyone was so nice, and I'm really drawn to the unique curriculum... not to mention the beautiful campus!

I second that. It felt like home over there. Awesome school.

I just received the official letter in the mail so i was not day dreaming on Monday when Anne Berg called me...:D

Members don't see this ad :)

I am 99% sure I am going. As far as price goes, I figure you are going to be in the red wherever you go and I wouldn't want to sacrifice going to the place I really want to go just for that reason

She gave us a financial aid presentation on our interview. She is the ****. Really knowledgeable and really wants to help the students. Talking to her is a great idea, she can help you out no matter where you end up going!

I just received the official letter in the mail so i was not day dreaming on Monday when Anne Berg called me...:D

aaah me too! Can't wait to fill it out and mail it in saying YES!

hey sajjy, does this mean you're going to pass on UConn?

I am 99% sure I am going. As far as price goes, I figure you are going to be in the red wherever you go and I wouldn't want to sacrifice going to the place I really want to go just for that reason

Jmacc, since you are in Boston, are planning to visit the school some time soon? I am planning to drive up there and have a one-on-one talk with Ann Doherty. What do you say?

hey sajjy, does this mean you're going to pass on UConn?

I am not 100% sure, it all depends on the scholarship offer from UConn. I am going to utilize my 45 days period to a max.
What will you do if you get accepted to Harvard?

Last edited:
Jmacc, since you are in Boston, are planning to visit the school some time soon? I am planning to drive up there and have a one-on-one talk with Ann Doherty. What do you say?

I am not 100% sure, it all depends on the scholarship offer from UConn. I am going to utilize my 45 days period to a max.
What will you do if you get accepted to Harvard?

i would probably go, but i want to be able to say "I went to Harvard"

haha, seriously though, in all honesty i am 100% positive that the quality of education is the same, i just had a much better feeling when i went to Harvard than i did at UConn. At UConn, i loved the students, but at Harvard i loved the students AND the faculty. and to me that makes all the difference. (Albeit i have heard some phenomenal things about UConn) I absolutely loved my two interviewers, especially Dr. Howell, he is just absolutely the most phenomenal and personable person i've met.!!

either way, i'll still be a dentist, and in the end that's my #1 goal

I just got the Dean's Scholarship from Penn... so now I'm a little stumped. Hopefully I'll figure it out. Are you guys planning on living in Vanderbilt hall your first year?

I might drop off my acceptance form in person just because its so close, plus it would be nice to get to talk to them all and thank them personally.

But when are you thinking of coming up? I'd be willing to help you out if you need help navigating Boston.

I just got the Dean's Scholarship from Penn... so now I'm a little stumped. Hopefully I'll figure it out. Are you guys planning on living in Vanderbilt hall your first year?

Since I know Boston, and will most likely have a number of friends from school that I could room with next year, its unlikely that I'll live there.There are plenty of great apartments around that area. But I'm sure the dorms are great for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Hey. Class of 2013 People. Im in the class of 2011. I don't think I have written on this board since I got in two years ago. I really like it at HSDM. If you are trying to decide between here and anywhere else...all I can say is PASS/FAIL. My friend's girlfriend at UCONN says it is very competetive and stressful there...Sometimes downright mean. It is very laid back here, even with the type A med students. The pass fail thing takes alot of the stress off. I don't regret my decision. Plus Boston is great.

My Jan 15th deadline is coming up and I haven't been able to make up my mind between Harvard and UCLA yet. For those of you who already made your decision, do you mind sharing your reasons for it? Or if there are any HSDM students reading this thread, any insights from you would be great too.

Thanks

It would be funny if IBETTERTHANYOU (seriously he is) will post something here as well....LOL

Question: Have all of you who have been accepted to Harvard completed a full year of Calculus? This is stated on their website as a prerequirement... This requirement is pretty rare for Dental Schools if I understand correctly...

Thanks.

No. I think most people wait and take it second semester senior year once they've been accepted.

Question: Have all of you who have been accepted to Harvard completed a full year of Calculus? This is stated on their website as a prerequirement... This requirement is pretty rare for Dental Schools if I understand correctly...

Thanks.

No. I think most people wait and take it second semester senior year once they've been accepted.

hmm. that's interesting...
I e-mailed them and they said you can take it in the summer before acceptance even...

another question: for those interviews POST-December 1: how long did it take for Harvard to get back to you on their decision (ie. acceptance vs rejection)?

Last edited:
Their last committee meeting of December was canceled due to weather, so they said they would meet in early January. Based on last years predent info, they informed people on january 18. That's as much as I know...just keeping my fingers crossed indefinitely.

Their last committee meeting of December was canceled due to weather, so they said they would meet in early January. Based on last years predent info, they informed people on january 18. That's as much as I know...just keeping my fingers crossed indefinitely.

I believe they've already met.

My sister was one of those people notified that the meeting was canceled due to the weather. She got a call from Ann Berg early this morning informing her of her acceptance. :laugh:

I believe they've already met.

My sister was one of those people notified that the meeting was canceled due to the weather. She got a call from Ann Berg early this morning informing her of her acceptance. :laugh:

On a Sunday morning?

hmm. that's interesting...
I e-mailed them and they said you can take it in the summer before acceptance even...

another question: for those interviews POST-December 1: how long did it take for Harvard to get back to you on their decision (ie. acceptance vs rejection)?

hey contach, congrats on the interview...when did you get an email saying your application was complete? mine was complete on oct 23, and they just emailed me saying it was still under review.
i already have a deposit in and i dont know how much more i want to wait.

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE! I am so excited for all of you!

Harvard is my dream school and I just got invited for an interview there. I was wondering how long does it take them to reply after your interview?

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE! I am so excited for all of you!

Harvard is my dream school and I just got invited for an interview there. I was wondering how long does it take them to reply after your interview?

They haven't notified anyone after December 1st. Their next round of acceptances will be sent out in February.

wow, here i was thinking it was basically a lost cause haha!!

guess i was expecting somebody to post before me buuuuuuuuuuuuuut no.... well anyways im going to harvard :) probably not as exciting to others as it is to me, but from the district i come from it's a pretty big deal. im excited to see people in boston next year ! chyeaaaaaaaaaa

I AM IN! :love:

I think I will be withdrawing from the Penn now, maybe not since the Dean's scholarship would be a good deal.

As I looked at many of you on predents, I noticed that almost all of you come from pretty big name universities. Anyone accepted that goes to a smaller name university? Not really small, but not as popular as the rest?

I AM IN! :love:

I think I will be withdrawing from the Penn now, maybe not since the Dean's scholarship would be a good deal.

congrats!! can I ask when you interviewed and what your predents profile is?

I went to a big name school but when I interviewed there, I talked to a second year student who went to FSU or one of the Florida schools.

I'd like to stay anonymous so I'd rather not post any of my personal information.

i didnt go to a big name school... if you got an interview i dont think theyre concerned about your school much beyond that point...

Last edited:
Did all of you get a phone call when you were accepted? I just interviewed there a few days ago and they said that acceptance will be notified through snail mail. hmmmM...? :rolleyes:

Did all of you get a phone call when you were accepted? I just interviewed there a few days ago and they said that acceptance will be notified through snail mail. hmmmM...? :rolleyes:

We got a phone call on Dec 1st and the official letter arrived 3-4 days later.

i didnt go to a big name school... if you got an interview i dont think theyre concerned about your school much beyond that point...

Well...UW is ranked high up there. It isn't a big name school, but it's very close.

This is where i would be posting if i didnt suck at life