From Rags to MD ( one day?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ragstoMD

By myself, I are failure
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
* This post is not for the highly accomplished students with a great (or inherited) foundation in excellence and success.

Feel free to laugh , cry, offer encouragement or advice.. then post your own stories of perseverance!

My History:

'03 -Ultimate failure in high school ( No science classes, but I did play some serious football)
'04 - Somehow got into Texas A&M
Grades:
0'4-'05- 3.09 sci. GPA
'05-'06- 1.93 sci. GPA (hello physics)
'06-'07 - 2.89 sci. GPA (hello physics.. again)
1st MCAT "24 Q": 10v, 6P, 8 B (9/2007)

decided to apply with 2.74 cum gpa

- recruited and then applied to:
Midwestern Masters - waitlisted/rejected

- applied to:
Tulane Molecular Cell program-waitlisted/rejected
U.Cinn SMP- rejected (thank you 100$ app. fee)
Texas A&M biomed science program (backup) - rejected
Texas A&M MPH program (backup,backup)- rejected
NYMC post bacc. - incomplete ( i saved the best result for last)

'08- reevaluated life goals..
'07-'08/09- 3.82 sci. gpa
2nd MCAT "25P" : 8v,8P, 9 B (7/2008)
graduating with cum. gpa ~3.0 cum , 2.84 sci (95+ hours of science)

Why the "Rags"? parents haven't had stable jobs for 7 years, I worked 2 jobs in H.S. and Texas government paid for 90 % of my college tuition. Oh yah, And I lived in my car for a couple semesters ( guess which??)

Why MD? I want to be a doctor that helps the impoverished one day like how my doctor helped my family.

So if ya'll are feeling me, at least at my level, or if you feel like you are even worse than me( God bless you) than, follow me to glorious success one day : D (fingers crossed)

Plans for '09
searching for a post-bacc, SMP, any formal program.. because Texas won't have me as there are no post bacc programs for MD.

apply to Georgetown GEMS ( 1st option)
apply to UCONN program B
apply to Wake Forest (for disadvantaged)
apply to North Texas (TCOM)- SMP (backup)

Any comments? Advice? What's your plans for 2009! Come join this thread!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well I think with the programs u are applying to that you may have a good shot. Try EVMS program as well..and another option is odteopathic medicine which is totally awesome and the same as an MD. Since you are interested I'm assuming family medicine..DOs match into great residencies.. And they favor retakes
Your plan sounds very feasible..just work out the apps and u will be fine. I think it helps to have a timeline and stick right to it. Are there any medical schools u are looking to apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Caribbean schools are much easier to get into. Some take like 16 of an MCAT. I've heard rumors that others don't even require MCAT.

Pros:
1.You (and just about anyone that goes through it) can have an MD.
2.If you have the pre-req's, you can probably join the next semester after you apply.
3. Alot of these places are beautiful ( like in Dominica where I did a study abroad)

However major caveat(s) to consider:
1. It's much much more expensive than your in-state schools *2x,3x more*
2. You can practice as a doctor in the US, however you really don't have upward mobility in hospital administration or if you ever want to do anything other than just practice.
3. Some Residency programs in the U.S. may not even look at you. Others will only if you do extraordinarily well compared to your class.
4. Be careful in which schools you choose. There are 2-3 reputable schools. Other are not so reputable..at all.

Last edited:
Well I think with the programs u are applying to that you may have a good shot. Try EVMS program as well..and another option is odteopathic medicine which is totally awesome and the same as an MD. Since you are interested I'm assuming family medicine..DOs match into great residencies.. And they favor retakes
Your plan sounds very feasible..just work out the apps and u will be fine. I think it helps to have a timeline and stick right to it. Are there any medical schools u are looking to apply to?
seems like your quite knowledgeable DrChuck, I actually happen to see an abundance of your posts in the past few months ( that I've been reading SDN)

I've done a bit of research and am familiar with EVMS. It has like a 2.75 gpa requirement. Though that's good that SOMEONE will take me, I still feel I could do a little better than that on the basis that I don't think I'm a consistent "C" student.

more like A's and B's first year, then F's and D's second year, than last 4 semester I have mostly A's some B's and fewer C's.

I'm hoping admissions will see that I'm more an A and B student than a consistent C student. ( thus im aiming for programs that have a baseline of 3.0 with fingers crossed)

If you or anyone else has other suggestions i'd gladly take that.

who knows though. I may end up applying for it if no one else will take me. I do have 0% success rate, after all.

Plans for '09
searching for a post-bacc, SMP, any formal program.. because Texas won't have me as there are no post bacc programs for MD.

apply to UCONN program B

Don't forget the OSU Medpath program. I have three friends who have gone through it and they loved it . They Basically offer graduates Guarranteed admissions.

Caribbean schools are much easier to get into. Some take like 16 of an MCAT. I've heard rumors that others don't even require MCAT.

Pros:
1.You (and just about anyone that goes through it) can have an MD.
2.If you have the pre-req's, you can probably join the next semester after you apply.
3. Alot of these places are beautiful ( like in Dominica where I did a study abroad)

However major caveat(s) to consider:
1. It's much much more expensive than your in-state schools *2x,3x more*
2. You can practice as a doctor in the US, however you really don't have upward mobility in hospital administration or if you ever want to do anything other than just practice.
3. Some Residency programs in the U.S. may not even look at you. Others will only if you do extraordinarily well compared to your class.
4. Be careful in which schools you choose. There are 2-3 reputable schools. Other are not so reputable..at all.

Thanks. Reason I asked is because my Family doctor studied medicine in Mexico and did his residency in California. He said it was lower tuition, great school plus he learned Spanish fluently.

if i were you i would have stayed a 5th year and pulled my marks up, while working on some solid extracurrics. carribean should be a last resort.

Ever think of DO school too? I mean it's not easy, but it is less competitive to get into than the traditional US MD route. In regards to the Caribbean MD programs, yes there are less opportunities for upward mobility in the hospital administration, but what does that have to do with helping the impoverished? DO and Caribbean MD both produce good family docs. Unless you want to get into Derm why are you busting yourself over the traditional MD?

if i were you i would have stayed a 5th year and pulled my marks up, while working on some solid extracurrics. carribean should be a last resort. -copacetic
I did stay for a 5th year as it was paid for by the state : ) i just finished my first semester of it. Having 158 hours of credit means it takes a lot t to raise it up. Thus, raising it from 2.7 to a 2.92 was difficult ( past 45 hours was a 3.8 gpa) I've got a chance at making 3.0.

and yes. I agree. Caribbeans would be a last resort. like.. 4 years from now.

have u thot about DO? -yellowtibby and What up Doc
Yes. Though . they do practice in much the same capacity as an MD would, I was advised (by the president of Texas A&M medical school) not to pursue that option.

I want to start a health clinic in a minority area. Even though DO's mostly work in rural areas, I want to do something along the lines of affecting health policy. Starting clinics or getting other doctors to join me in helping out areas that need help. Thus, MD would be the best choice. ( tradition aside, I heard it was worth the wait)

Thanks. Reason I asked is because my Family doctor studied medicine in Mexico and did his residency in California. He said it was lower tuition, great school plus he learned Spanish fluently.- prologic
I believe Mexico may have a different structure than traditional "carribean schools".. I know the U.S. has some schools officially linked to the Caribbean like Ross University.

In the end, I don't want " Universidad Autonoma de Guadalarja" on my Medical Degree if I can't even pronounce it myself -_-.
I don't think I'm that desperate.. yet.

Don't forget the OSU Medpath program. I have three friends who have gone through it and they loved it . They Basically offer graduates Guaranteed admissions. -marylanddude
OSU is just for ohio state residents or people that put that school as an option on their AMCAS. I even think they had to have been referred to the program... if im not mistaken.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OSU is just for ohio state residents or people that put that school as an option on their AMCAS. I even think they had to have been referred to the program... if im not mistaken.

Incorrect.

1. You don't have to be an Ohio Resident.
2. Getting a referral from the committee is as simple as applying and writting a letter to the admissions office expressing your interest in the MEDPATH program.

Good Luck to you!!!

* This post is not for the highly accomplished students with a great (or inherited) foundation in excellence and success.

Feel free to laugh , cry, offer encouragement or advice.. then post your own stories of perseverance!

My History:

'03 -Ultimate failure in high school ( No science classes, but I did play some serious football)
Grades:
0'4-'05- 3.09 sci. GPA

- applied to:

'07-'09- 3.82 sci. gpa

Why the "Rags"? parents haven't had stable jobs for 7 years, I worked 2 jobs in H.S. and Texas government paid for 90 % of my college tuition.
Why MD? I want to be a doctor that helps the impoverished one day like how my doctor helped my family.

So if ya'll are feeling me, at least at my level, or if you feel like you are even worse than me( God bless you) than, follow me to glorious success one day : D (fingers crossed)

Plans for '09

apply to UCONN program B

I wish you luck, but don't be too picky at this point. I am going to give you some very realistic advice. In order to get into a US MD school at this point, you need about a 32 on the MCAT (at least I would say) THEN You are going to need a lot LOT of recovery work. You first need more UG classes (to get BCMP above a 3.0) THEN a Masters or SMP at near a 4.0 (you have no room for anything less). I am not too familiar with DO admissions though I think you would need to do near similiar things to get in there (I know people with terrific stats in DO schools but had a little lower than MD in MCAT) the only difference is that I think they will use only your second grade if you retake courses. It can be done, but it is going to take a very clear and longgg plan on your part (with tons of hard work, probably need to take out loans to pay for it, etc) and natural ability.Good luck:luck:

just like the person said above, MEDPath is definitely not just for In-staters..in fact I just emailed someone that completed the program and told me that 12 out of the 15 people that were in the program were OOS'ers

just like the person said above, MEDPath is definitely not just for In-staters..in fact I just emailed someone that completed the program and told me that 12 out of the 15 people that were in the program were OOS'ers

hmmm.. I think i was not clear enough. I said it was for ohio state residents or... people that put Ohio State on their AMCAS:

"Application The student must:

• Submit an AMCAS application by November 1st
  • List The Ohio State University College of Medicine as a school selection on the AMCAS application
  • Be recommended by the College of Medicine Admissions Committee to MEDPATH
  • Interview with the College of Medicine Admissions Committee"
I have previously applied to medschools in 2008 but only through TMDSAS ( texas' version of Amcas)

I have an active AMCAS 2009 ( applied to puertorico)
but I didnt apply by "nov. 1st" , didn't list ohio state, and didn't get recommended..I don't fulfill any of those requirements. But, if you think I should still try to contact them. I can : D

In my experience from speaking with MD admissions counselors, you need about two years of consistent and solid coursework to be competitive. Lets face guys, the GPA is a good "measuring rod" for academic performance, but it is not if someone has over 100 or so credit hours. Think about it, if someone had a rough start in college, they will be haunted by those "tough times" forever because their cum GPA will reflect it. RagstoMD, you are well on your way to being a competitive applicant. Due to your stellar performance from 07-09, you have proven that you are worthy for any SMP program. The problem is your MCAT score. If you get that up, you are set! AMCAS will seperate your undergrad GPA from your SMP GPA. The dramatic increase will be eye opening to the adcoms that view your application. (not to mention the increase from 06-09 during udergrad). Also, make sure that the rest of your application is "off the chain" Keep up the good work and I know you will be "Gucci".

I am in a similar situation. Because of this, I am able to pass down the knowledge that has been passed to me. GOOD LUCK!

why thank you. I've had a few good semester under my belt.
I do still look at my 0% success rate though last year.

But, it only takes one program right? : D

hmmm.. I think i was not clear enough. I said it was for ohio state residents or... people that put Ohio State on their AMCAS:

"Application The student must:

• Submit an AMCAS application by November 1st
  • List The Ohio State University College of Medicine as a school selection on the AMCAS application
  • Be recommended by the College of Medicine Admissions Committee to MEDPATH
  • Interview with the College of Medicine Admissions Committee"
I have previously applied to medschools in 2008 but only through TMDSAS ( texas' version of Amcas)

I have an active AMCAS 2009 ( applied to puertorico)
but I didnt apply by "nov. 1st" , didn't list ohio state, and didn't get recommended..I don't fulfill any of those requirements. But, if you think I should still try to contact them. I can : D

ooooo, gotcha..yeah it is a little too late. Always next cycle i guess lol..

In my experience from speaking with MD admissions counselors, you need about two years of consistent and solid coursework to be competitive. Lets face guys, the GPA is a good "measuring rod" for academic performance, but it is not if someone has over 100 or so credit hours. Think about it, if someone had a rough start in college, they will be haunted by those "tough times" forever because their cum GPA will reflect it. RagstoMD, you are well on your way to being a competitive applicant. Due to your stellar performance from 07-09, you have proven that you are worthy for any SMP program. The problem is your MCAT score. If you get that up, you are set! AMCAS will seperate your undergrad GPA from your SMP GPA. The dramatic increase will be eye opening to the adcoms that view your application. (not to mention the increase from 06-09 during udergrad). Also, make sure that the rest of your application is "off the chain" Keep up the good work and I know you will be "Gucci".

I am in a similar situation. Because of this, I am able to pass down the knowledge that has been passed to me. GOOD LUCK!

yeah he brought up a good point..the last two years of your undergrad are showing an "upward trend"..that should work into your favor..applying to post-bacs/SMPs that have a high linkage should not be a problem.i tried thinking of ones you missed...how about the Loyola MAMS program, if you do well they offer an interview for the medical school. Chicago is very cold...Temples ACMS program and Drexel's DPMS program, Philly aint too shabby lol..ehhh i think thats it. My thinking cap just blew a fuse..lol

ooooo, gotcha..yeah it is a little too late. Always next cycle i guess lol..

yeah he brought up a good point..the last two years of your undergrad are showing an "upward trend"..that should work into your favor..applying to post-bacs/SMPs that have a high linkage should not be a problem.i tried thinking of ones you missed...how about the Loyola MAMS program, if you do well they offer an interview for the medical school. Chicago is very cold...Temples ACMS program and Drexel's DPMS program, Philly aint too shabby lol..ehhh i think thats it. My thinking cap just blew a fuse..lol

How do you know so much? where are you at right now? an SMP program? MD?

Drexel DPMS was my last option. I didn't put it on my original post. Nothing against it.. however, I just have one of those "odd" feelings about it.. if I could avoid it, I would try my best to. (minimum of 2.75 gpa I think?)

Loyala seems pretty good . I'm a bit short on money so I have to be quite selective on apps (not because I think i'm that good)

Loyala MAMS: "Applicants must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and an MCAT Score of 25" (pretty much ,i'm the most minimum of the mimimum.. though I could spend money on that one.. )

Temples.. hrm i remember researching that but something about that striked me that not being the school I should consider.. oh yah:

• Overall undergraduate GPA >3.3 and science GPA >3.3
  • If MCATs have been taken, a minimum score of 24 is required
probably out of the question..

How do you know so much? where are you at right now? an SMP program? MD?

no SMP no MD..not yet at least..i guess i do a lot of research, send a lot of emails and make phone calls to offices lol, maybe a little toooo much, but I am interested in an SMP for fall 09 since I am graduating in the spring...

about Temple, you're right, forgot about the requirements..they are so annoying, they even want SAT scores (beyond me) so scratch that..

Drexel DPMS, one of the first ones I learned about..i can understand your iffy feeling about it. You are applying to a lot of "good name" programs so you might not even have to worry about that one..

and i thought of another one.. UPenn Special Science program, they have an accelerated option to get accepted to Robert Wood Johnson, but i see you have done a lot of sciences so you it might not work for you.. (but then again you are applying to UConns Program B so maybe not lol)..anyhoo just look at the courses they offer and go from there..

but to backtrack, def apply to Wake and Georgetown GEMS. From the information that I have gathered..those are great programs, no idea about North Texas, and UConn, also a cool one..add a few more if you want to, jus to be safe, but other than that, it would be so unlikely for you to not gain an acceptance to any of those...:D

no SMP no MD..not yet at least..i guess i do a lot of research, send a lot of emails and make phone calls to offices lol, maybe a little toooo much, but I am interested in an SMP for fall 09 since I am graduating in the spring...

...but to backtrack, def apply to Wake and Georgetown GEMS. From the information that I have gathered..those are great programs, no idea about North Texas, and UConn, also a cool one..add a few more if you want to, jus to be safe, but other than that, it would be so unlikely for you to not gain an acceptance to any of those...:D

I'll check into UPENN

Fall '09?

Why don't you just push that up to the summer and go along with me for the ride! All welcome.

But yah, Those programs I mentioned are actually quite competitive (like georgetown GEMS). I see it similar to the competition to that of poor homeless people ( low gpa-ers) duking it out over the last piece of crumbs left over by the dogs left over by the servants left over by their masters..to the bitter end.

Either everyone is too wealthy to apply to those programs or nobody wants to because they've got other programs with more assurances accepting them.

And I do have a history of 0 acceptances..So maybe the ride is going to set sail without me for this year: P

I'll check into UPENN

Fall '09?

Why don't you just push that up to the summer and go along with me for the ride! All welcome.

I so would, but could use the break and I am going to Europe for the first half :love:
p.s. I like the analogy of SMPs and homeless people..

EVMS is actually one of the best and most competitive programs out there. While the minimum is 2.75, the average matriculant has a much higher GPA. The competitiveness of the program can be gagued be by the average matriculant to the program, not the worst candidate they'll accept and application fee from.

What you should really be judging SMPs on is their rate of getting students into medical school. EVMS is one ove the top 3 (85% accept rate) along with GTown SMP and Tulane ACP.

It is difficult to say whether a program is good or not ( because it's focus is different) Georgetown accepts people lower than 2.9 gpa, but have a really high acceptance rate to their medical school.

I've heard of universities like Barry U. who say they have an 80-90 % acceptance rate.. but then have gotten complaints from people that went to that school. 80 % it turns out, was the acceptance rate (with mostly Carribeans, PA, other schools included.. not just medical)

But yes, I will do more into researching for EVMS.

My History:

Grades:
0'4-'05- 3.09 sci. GPA

- applied to:

'07-'08/09- 3.82 sci. gpa

Why the "Rags"? parents haven't had stable jobs for 7 years, I worked 2 jobs in H.S. and Texas government paid for 90 % of my college tuition. Oh yah, And I lived in my car for a couple semesters ( guess which??)

Plans for '09

apply to UCONN program B

You've gotta show schools that you are academically capable. MANY schools will be interested in you because of your life experiences, BUT you gotta pick up the MCAT, do a postbacc or research or something that tells them you are ready for the big leagues.

I say you should do the postbacc at Wake. It's a good program and I believe it will guarantee you placement in the 2010 class. Make sure you do well in whatever program you do, and try to mitigate the extracurricular stress. Good luck

I'll have almost 300 hours. 158 is not so high that you can't improve it. You can take full courseload over the summer, sometimes there are two semesters in the summer (accelerated courses). Taking 15 cr in two summer sessions, plus 18 in two fall/winter, you can do about 65-70 credits a year no problem. If you do summer-summer-fall-winter-summer-summer, you can do a 100 credits in about 14-15 months. If you can do that and pull a 3.8+, you should have a shot.

I'll have almost 300 hours. 158 is not so high that you can't improve it. You can take full courseload over the summer, sometimes there are two semesters in the summer (accelerated courses). Taking 15 cr in two summer sessions, plus 18 in two fall/winter, you can do about 65-70 credits a year no problem. If you do summer-summer-fall-winter-summer-summer, you can do a 100 credits in about 14-15 months. If you can do that and pull a 3.8+, you should have a shot.

That is pure craziness.. What is that? a quadruple major?

I can't afford all those classes! it would have to be worth it ( like a grad degree)

but if you could do that.. way to go : D

That is pure craziness.. What is that? a quadruple major?

I can't afford all those classes! it would have to be worth it ( like a grad degree)

but if you could do that.. way to go : D

give it up dawg. try nursing. you clearly dont want to do what needs to be done (which is pulling up your gpa).

You don't gotta be a dick, homie.

word..i mean i can understand someone not trying to kill themselves with that many credits so quickly, and also finances are always an issue. Just make a plan THAT WILL WORK FOR YOU buddy, and you will get that MD (DO).

people, ignore the trolls! they are starved for attention.

:troll:

people, ignore the trolls! they are starved for attention.

:troll:

I will try not to.

2009 status:

Applied to Puerto Rico to secure verification of AMCAS: 160 $ Complete

Applied to University of North Texas- SMP: 40$ Complete rec. pending

Applied to Georgetown GEMS: Pending rec. pending

Applied to UCONN: Pending (ww co/Isaac) 85$ Complete rec. pending

Applied to Drexel: 65 $ Complete rec. pending

Applied to EVM- Pending (ww co/Isaac)65$ Complete rec. pending

Note to self: Barry University and Ohio State MEDPATH ( way later)

Last edited:
I wish you best of luck and please keep us updated. Its obvious that you want to be a physician for the right reasons, I pray that it all goes well! Stay encouraged!!

I wish you best of luck and please keep us updated. Its obvious that you want to be a physician for the right reasons, I pray that it all goes well! Stay encouraged!!

Hey,

I really appreciate the encouragement : )
What's your story?

I will try not to.

2009 status:

Applied to University of North Texas- SMP: 40$ Complete rec. pending

Applied to Georgetown GEMS: Pending rec. pending

Applied to UCONN: Pending (ww co/Isaac) 85$ Complete rec. pending

Applied to Drexel: 65 $ Complete rec. pending

Applied to EVM- Pending (ww co/Isaac)65$ Complete rec. pending

Barry is not a bad place. Though some may have complaints about their acceptance rate, many in the program are pre-med and pre-dental. The classes mirror medical school and students take the same classes as their Podiatry students (one of the best in the nation). You shouldn't worry so much about statistics bc ultimately, it is what you put into it. I know it sounds cliche, but EVERY applicant is different, and if a school doesnt want you, then move on and for those that do accept you, be grateful. I offer you this advice because my life has seen its ups and downs. At this point, I am grateful to every institution that has believed in me. g'luck to you!

2009 status( as of 3/30/09)

Applied to University of North Texas- SMP: 40$ Complete

Applied to Georgetown GEMS: 130$ Complete

Applied to UCONN: Pending (ww co/Isaac) 85$ Complete

Applied to Drexel: 65 $ Complete

Applied to EVM- Pending - rejected ( didnt meet criteria)

Rags, I dont know if you;re still viewing this thread or if your outlook regarding which programs to apply to have changed, but based on your posts here, you should definitely stop being so selective with the stats you have. And I say that with no intention of hurting your feelings and EVERY intention of seeing you succeed as you seem a like a person who would make a great doctor. I am in almost your same boat and here are some things that grabbed my attention that need addressing:

*Your comment about DPMS - unfounded. This is a sharp program that I interviewed with myself and the only reason the criteria is so low is to help people like us who have struggled. This is a GUARANTEED admission program to a great ALLOPATHIC school. I will not explain further.

*Your comment about EVMS - we're being honest here right? We are not the one in the position to choose. You should be begging EVMS to take you dude! Seriously, you cannot throw away basically guaranteed acceptances out like that! Nearly 100% of EVMS postbacs make it to EVMS.

*Your comment about not wanting to take 100 credits - while the "try nursing" comment was an a-hole way to put it, I understand why you evoked that response from Brucelee as I kinda thought the same thing. You need to pull the equivalent of an 100 yard Hail Mary here and your comment seems like you are not willing to do what it takes. This put together with your previous comments kinda makes it look like you truly havent grasped your situation. Again, we're here to be honest right?

*Temple ACMS - highly competitive. You have people with 1300+ SATs and 30+ MCATs applying to this one (I went to an info session and chatted up some of the folks...yeah). Your chances are slim but I will never tell you to not try.

*UPenn Special Sciences - See Temple ACMS. Add Ivy league grads to the mix. I have a friend in this program that for all intents and purposes should be in med school now. Slim chance but give it a wack.

*Your comments showing DO is your last resort - get serious bro. I would kill for a DO acceptance right now.

*Caribbean - DONT do it. You can become an American DO or MD.

If I've spent so much energy on this post, it's because I want to see you succeed as I said above. I followed you on the GEMS 2009 thread and you seem like a cool dude. My hope is that this will serve as some type of wake-up call so that you'll increase your chances. I wish you the best of luck man.:thumbup:

Rags, I dont know if you;re still viewing this thread or if your outlook regarding which programs to apply to have changed, but based on your posts here, you should definitely stop being so selective with the stats you have. And I say that with no intention of hurting your feelings and EVERY intention of seeing you succeed as you seem a like a person who would make a great doctor. I am in almost your same boat and here are some things that grabbed my attention that need addressing:

*Your comment about DPMS - unfounded. This is a sharp program that I interviewed with myself and the only reason the criteria is so low is to help people like us who have struggled. This is a GUARANTEED admission program to a great ALLOPATHIC school. I will not explain further.

*Your comment about EVMS - we're being honest here right? We are not the one in the position to choose. You should be begging EVMS to take you dude! Seriously, you cannot throw away basically guaranteed acceptances out like that! Nearly 100% of EVMS postbacs make it to EVMS.

*Your comment about not wanting to take 100 credits - while the "try nursing" comment was an a-hole way to put it, I understand why you evoked that response from Brucelee as I kinda thought the same thing. You need to pull the equivalent of an 100 yard Hail Mary here and your comment seems like you are not willing to do what it takes. This put together with your previous comments kinda makes it look like you truly havent grasped your situation. Again, we're here to be honest right?

*Temple ACMS - highly competitive. You have people with 1300+ SATs and 30+ MCATs applying to this one (I went to an info session and chatted up some of the folks...yeah). Your chances are slim but I will never tell you to not try.

*UPenn Special Sciences - See Temple ACMS. Add Ivy league grads to the mix. I have a friend in this program that for all intents and purposes should be in med school now. Slim chance but give it a wack.

*Your comments showing DO is your last resort - get serious bro. I would kill for a DO acceptance right now.

*Caribbean - DONT do it. You can become an American DO or MD.

If I've spent so much energy on this post, it's because I want to see you succeed as I said above. I followed you on the GEMS 2009 thread and you seem like a cool dude. My hope is that this will serve as some type of wake-up call so that you'll increase your chances. I wish you the best of luck man.:thumbup:

Nice on the DPMS interview. They actualy emailed me to "complete" my application as it was considered " competititve". I was set on going there after Georgetown rejected me (sigh)
Nevertheless, I didn't get accepted by DPMS in the end. how did you do?

I'm not sure about "not willing to do what it takes." I am currently studying for my third MCAT to apply to Texas medical schools. that would be officially 3 on the record in 3 years lol. (though i have attempted 5 total).

Most of what i've said about DO comes from advise to me by the president of Texas A&M Health science center and who used to be the president of AAMC. She told me not to do DO.

Thanks for the " wake up" though. I appreciate the effort and keeping up with me.

I will update in my status shortly. Still applying though but now with improved credentials and possibly considering doing the University of Texas at Dallas post-bacclaureate premedical program ( only thing that would accept me : P) However, now that i have a 3.8 gpa for the last 53 hours, I am considering adding on only the 24 hours required from the new premedical program at UTD. SO... i don't think i needed 300 hours : P. ( I currently now have 168 and 176 after this summer)

UPDATE!

Applied to University of North Texas- SMP: rejected

Applied to Georgetown GEMS: rejected

Applied to UCONN: rejected
Applied to Drexel DPMS: 65 $ rejected

Applied to EVM- rejected

Graduated- Texas A&M University with majors in Biology, Psychology and minors in English and Neuroscience -5/2009

UPDATE as of 6/2009:

Summer plans:
retaking physics I and II w/ both labs at University of North Texas- 8 hours. (should be easy A's according to prof ratings!)
Retake MCAT third time - 7/17/2009

Applied to University of Texas at Dallas pre-medical post bacclaureate program- 40$ accepted!

Last edited:
Update as of 8/2009

Retook Physics I and II w/ labs-8 hours at UNT= all A's!
Registering for classes at UT-D for 24 hours.
Waiting MCAT score
Last 53 hours= 3.8 gpa and counting!
Volunteering at hospital
Trying to find jobs to pay for UT-D

Applied to Tulane Cell biology program again- rejected

Apply via AMCAS (with Financial assistance! )to:

-Ohio State ( to be eligible for Medpath linkage program )
-Wake Forest( to be eligible for post-bacclaureate linkage) - free!

Apply via TMDSAS to:

Texas A&M SOM ( best shot since I got interview last time)
University of Texas at Galveston SOM
University of Texas at San antonio SOM
Texas Tech at El paso
Texas Tech at Lubbock - total 105$

Future plans:
reapply to Georgetown GEMS -2/2010
reapply to Drexel DPMS - 2/2010
Apply to Ohio State Med prep
Apply to Wake Forest post-bacc linkage

keep up the good work buddy..hopefully the good news will head your way VERY SOON...i love your tenacity...like this guy ---> :smuggrin: lol...

keep up the good work buddy..hopefully the good news will head your way VERY SOON...i love your tenacity...like this guy ---> :smuggrin: lol...

Haha hey! thanks for the encouragement : P

I made a 29O on my mcat which is a significant improvement from my 2008 test and hopefully it'll sit well with TEXAS admissions..

11v, 9b, 9p. O

Update as of 8/2009

Retook Physics I and II w/ labs-8 hours at UNT= all A's!
Registering for classes at UT-D for 24 hours.
Waiting MCAT score
Last 53 hours= 3.8 gpa and counting!
Volunteering at hospital
Trying to find jobs to pay for UT-D

Applied to Tulane Cell biology program again- rejected

Apply via AMCAS (with Financial assistance! )to:

-Ohio State ( to be eligible for Medpath linkage program )
-Wake Forest( to be eligible for post-bacclaureate linkage) - free!

Apply via TMDSAS to:

Texas A&M SOM ( best shot since I got interview last time)
University of Texas at Galveston SOM
University of Texas at San antonio SOM
Texas Tech at El paso
Texas Tech at Lubbock - total 105$

Future plans:
reapply to Georgetown GEMS -2/2010
reapply to Drexel DPMS - 2/2010
Apply to Ohio State Med prep
Apply to Wake Forest post-bacc linkage

Couple of questions out of curiosity.

1. Doesn't UT Dallas' program have linkages? If so, why are you still applying to other post-bacs?

2. Why aren't you applying to UT Houston, Southwestern, or TCOM?

I've sent you a PM.

RagstoMd: great improvement! what did you do differently (in detail) ?

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have been just lurking the past few weeks. I am considering applying to med school as a "non-traditional" student. Me too, had some bad luck during my early college years. I suffered a spinal cord injury prior to starting college. After many months of physical rehab, I made a remarkable recovery, w/ some minor limitations. I went to colleg I pushed myself a little too much, taking too many tough courses & my grades suffered. Between rehabing myself and taking classes, I did not do so well. I did however, get a graduate degree in public health and work for the National Cancer Institute. And now, I am considering applying to med school.

I like your story, based on what I am reading, you are going to get in & here is why.

You have the drive. You want to go into medicine for all the right reasons. Your honest. Your not afraid to tell people you have failed and are willing to do better. Few people on this forum would admit to failure. You also have incredible life experiences that would make you a great doctor. I like your story. Probably one of the best I heard so far on this forum. I am tired of hearing the lame stories like :" I spent 5 years in the lab studying electrical currents & circuts and feel that I would make a great doctor b/c I can easily figure out how the heart beats using a pacemaker.........Blah blah blah......BS". Or the story of the lawyer who once robbed people now wants to suddenly help people.

I am friends w/ a guy that was in a similar situation. He had a 2.6 GPA in undergrad. His early college years were difficult and he could not get A's. Like you, he was persistent. Took some classes, worked hard and eventually got admitted to med school. He graduated med school w/ high honors and recieved numerous awards, while in school, and currently as a practicing doctor. Like yourself, he went into medicine for the right reasons. He opened a clinic in the WORST section of the city. He serves all people, even if they cannot pay. He has no money, the family car was donated. He and family live rent free in a church rectory. Thier savings account is non-existent. They survive through donations, and any money he gets he puts right back into the practice. He keeps nothing for himself.

When I was in graduate school, I lived w/ med students. I took some classes at the med school also. There were few students I met that were nice, some would not even make eye contact w/ you if you were not a med student. I never met so many cocky and arrogant people in my life - it was terrible. I could not believe some of these people were chosen to become doctors, it really bothered me. So many smart people on paper turn out to be really stupid in person, so sad. My friend that went to Georgetown med said the same, she had very few friends there. Your not one of those people, and you deserve to get in.

Sorry for the negative critism about med students, unfortunately, my experience (and others I went to school w/) was not soo good w/ them.

Good luck to you and go w/ what your heart tells you.

P.S. Someone on this post mentioend something about going to nursing school instead. BTW, I know a lot of nurses that could of easily gone to med school & you obviously know nothing about how critical nurses are to delivering patient care. Before considering applying to med school, do your homework or find another profession.

RagstoMd: great improvement! what did you do differently (in detail) ?

Hey Docta Rod,

Actually, it was not difficult for me, in my situation, to improve the MCAT.

If you noticed, my scores were like this:

2007: 10 verbal, 6 physics, 8 biology.
2008: 8 verbal, 8 physics, 9 biology
2009: 11 verbal, 9 physics, 9 biology

Biology:

I took some courses which helped in biology in my last year of college such as virology and neuroscience. Though it may not have helped the "MCAT" it certainly made me grasp sciences that much better. If you need immediate help in this section, I would do Anatomy and Physiology ( particularly physiology). I know it's not required but I would recommend it for the MCAT. Choose the class that willl teach you endocrine,neuro, and vital organs like heart, lungs, waste system... Don't take anatomy if you don't have to ( waste of time for hte MCAT but maybe good later on)

I also took Organic 2 recently due to having made a D my first time around . I ended up with a A this second time around..this helped push my biology to a 9 in 2009

Verbal:

I think I was always decent at it... but they changed the MCAT format this summer for verbal making the questions harder but the passages easier to understand. This would help me so I skyrocketed to an 11 from a top of 10.

Physics:

Biggest weakness. See how I made a 6 in 2007. I retook chemistry II (having originally made a C) and got an A. I also retook physics I and II and made A's in both. I took the MCAT shortly after.

So, it's really the studying for class that helped translate into MCAT "success" ( from Texas ' viewpoint at least)

If you are having trouble in verbal, I woudl say that is the hardest to improve... but other sciences can be improved with more in depth practice that a class room could provide.

hope this helps.

If you have any more trouble, I know ALL about studying for the MCAT. It cpould take you awhile if you don't have a great science background.

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have been just lurking the past few weeks. I am considering applying to med school as a "non-traditional" student. Me too, had some bad luck during my early college years. I suffered a spinal cord injury prior to starting college. After many months of physical rehab, I made a remarkable recovery, w/ some minor limitations. I went to colleg I pushed myself a little too much, taking too many tough courses & my grades suffered. Between rehabing myself and taking classes, I did not do so well. I did however, get a graduate degree in public health and work for the National Cancer Institute. And now, I am considering applying to med school.

I like your story, based on what I am reading, you are going to get in & here is why.

You have the drive. You want to go into medicine for all the right reasons. Your honest. Your not afraid to tell people you have failed and are willing to do better. Few people on this forum would admit to failure. You also have incredible life experiences that would make you a great doctor. I like your story. Probably one of the best I heard so far on this forum. I am tired of hearing the lame stories like :" I spent 5 years in the lab studying electrical currents & circuts and feel that I would make a great doctor b/c I can easily figure out how the heart beats using a pacemaker.........Blah blah blah......BS". Or the story of the lawyer who once robbed people now wants to suddenly help people.

I am friends w/ a guy that was in a similar situation. He had a 2.6 GPA in undergrad. His early college years were difficult and he could not get A's. Like you, he was persistent. Took some classes, worked hard and eventually got admitted to med school. He graduated med school w/ high honors and recieved numerous awards, while in school, and currently as a practicing doctor. Like yourself, he went into medicine for the right reasons. He opened a clinic in the WORST section of the city. He serves all people, even if they cannot pay. He has no money, the family car was donated. He and family live rent free in a church rectory. Thier savings account is non-existent. They survive through donations, and any money he gets he puts right back into the practice. He keeps nothing for himself.

When I was in graduate school, I lived w/ med students. I took some classes at the med school also. There were few students I met that were nice, some would not even make eye contact w/ you if you were not a med student. I never met so many cocky and arrogant people in my life - it was terrible. I could not believe some of these people were chosen to become doctors, it really bothered me. So many smart people on paper turn out to be really stupid in person, so sad. My friend that went to Georgetown med said the same, she had very few friends there. Your not one of those people, and you deserve to get in.

Sorry for the negative critism about med students, unfortunately, my experience (and others I went to school w/) was not soo good w/ them.

Good luck to you and go w/ what your heart tells you.

P.S. Someone on this post mentioend something about going to nursing school instead. BTW, I know a lot of nurses that could of easily gone to med school & you obviously know nothing about how critical nurses are to delivering patient care. Before considering applying to med school, do your homework or find another profession.

I actually think nurses are the ones that do all the work of getting people better. They, along with physical therapists and assistants reallly help the people recuperate. I 'm not sure why they don't get the credit they deserve. Having volunteered with nurses in oncology, I think they are the ones with balls of steel ( metaphorically speaking)

I hope you weren't talking to me about that..

By the way, thanks for the encouragement. Remember that it's not the medical admissions people to blame, really. They only have so much to rely on before having to make tough decisions. There are nasty people everywhere whether its in sports,politics, etc. as well as medicine.
Making money or having a respectful career wouldn't help change that unfortunately.

This guy is great! I love that there are people like that out there. I hope he receives the type of rewards that are far greater than money.. but I also hope he can take care of himself and his family well.