From Rags to MD ( one day?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University of Washington SOM- Rejected 8/24/2009

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a Texas resident then you should have Texas state schools as your focus. Getting into any out of state med school with your stats will be very hard. Try all Texas MD and DO schools if you are a resident of that state. You seem to be all over the place, and need focus if you want to really get into med school. 29 is not a bad MCAT score but there are people with a lot better numbers than you have, and though you may get some points for tenacity with some adcoms, there are always more new people nipping at your heels and the competition will not get any easier from year to year, in general. If you really want this then attending a postbac with linkage to a particular med school might be a good route, if you can get in. It seems like you'd have higher chances to get an acceptance somewhere if you considered DO schools. It's HARD to get a spot in med school anywhere, and it seems like you are being overly picky. All of the schools will make you a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an interview at UT southwestern.
interviewee said I had a " great interview"

here is hoping that I get it on nov 15th or match day..

I wonder if my numbers will still be an obstacle?

Congrats on your interview! I hope that everything will work out for you. You worked so hard and I hope that God will bless your diligence. I will keep you in prayer :)

I had an interview at UT southwestern.
interviewee said I had a " great interview"

here is hoping that I get it on nov 15th or match day..

I wonder if my numbers will still be an obstacle?

I've been reading this thread since your first post and being a Texas native myself, I've found myself saying a prayer for you now and again and hoping that you'll reach that dream of yours. I hope that you'll get some good news from Southwestern.

Dude...you should definitely start a blog. Ive been following you also and I think your story will inspire others.

congrats on your interview! Your story is definitely inspirational...the drastic turn in your GPA once you reassessed what you want out of life is very remarkable.

What specialty in medicine are you looking at?

You should look at Podiatry. It's a field that offers a great mix of medicine and surgery. Very procedural oriented and a lot of regions, especially inner city with lots of diabetics, are severely under served. With your GPA and MCAT you can apply, get accepted, get scholarships, and start fall 2010.

Good luck with everything! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Application summer 2009- Fall 2009

Amcas GPA 3.04 scgpa 2.76 (189 credit hours)
Mcat 29

9/2009- accepted at UTD post bacclaureate program.
Courses taken: Neuroanatomy, Medical Microbiology, Molecular basis of health disease

Future plans in spring 2010: Finish the 24 hours of post bacc to qualify for interview at UT san antonio?

Applied to medical schools with fee waiver for 13 schools 8/2009:

Out of state:
Albert Einstein College of medicine-30$
Drexel College University of Medicine-30$
Emory University School of Medicine
Loma Lida University school of Medicine
Mayo Medical School- incomplete
Michigan State University
Uniformed Services- incomplete
New york College of medicine -30$
Saint Louis School of Medicine
The Ohio State School of medicine ( to qualify for one year MedPrep linkage)
The University of Oklahoma
New York University- 30$
University of Chicago- Pritzker- incomplete
University of Minnesota Medical school-duluth-incomplete
University of Pittsburgh- incomplete
University of Washington School of medicine- rejected 8/24/2009
Wake forest University School of medicine -rejected 9/3/2009

In state
TMDSAS application verified 8/17/2009
Schools applied:

Texas Tech at El paso
Texas Tech at Lubbock
Texas A&M SOM
UT Southwestern- interview invite!! (for 10/31/09)
UT San Antonio
UTMB- Galveston
UT Houston

11/12/09 Apply for Wake Forest Post Bacc because received secondary due 12/2009
apply for GEMS Georgetown.. again. 2/2010
apply OSU Medpath- soon.

Thanks a lot for your encouragement.. all of ya'll.

UT southwestern -ACCEPTEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!( 12:01pm Nov 13th, 2009)
I got accepted on the first day possible!

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhh! Congrats! It has been a long time coming, but hardwork definitely pays off. Your story is a perfect example of that. Good luck on the rest of your journey.

:soexcited::clap Congrats!!!! I am so happy for you! Your story is an inspiration to me! You show with hard work and belief in yourself you can succeed :) God bless and congrats again :D:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
:soexcited::clap Congrats!!!! I am so happy for you! Your story is an inspiration to me! You show with hard work and belief in yourself you can succeed :) God bless and congrats again :D:clap:

thank you: )

3 years, 3 mcats, 3 application cycles.17 consecutive fall,spring,summer, semesters of school

It was all worth it finally! : P

thank you: )

3 years, 3 mcats, 3 application cycles.17 consecutive fall,spring,summer, semesters of school

It was all worth it finally! : P

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! Whoooooo hooooooo....that's some really great news :)

CONGRATS!!!!!!! I great example of perseverance and hard work paying off!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

CONGRATS!!!!!!! I great example of perseverance and hard work paying off!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
in retrospect
now that I've had a weekend to process, I thought id share a few tid bits
You know, I"m very thankful for you guys and your encouragement. It's pretty lonely being in the middle of nowhere(5 hours from home in austin) ,a foreign/new school taking undergrad.physics in the summer in Denton TX.. with an MCAT as your only companion and no secure future. ( It helps being single)

I also didn't tell my parents my low gpa in 2007 because I didn't want them to worry about me.
They knew i got rejected by 30 ish programs the past 3 years, But i told them it was because i applied late or these programs were competitive. Not to mention all the jobs I got rejected from too. I guess a biology major with minimal experience and barely a 3.0 gpa have a hard time getting tech jobs.

So its quite hard to smile in front of everyone and kind of help them be at ease ...and yet know inside that you may never be a doctor due to your overall scores. I still don't have interviews elsewhere for this year.lol

In the end, myself and cher25 ( who has an amazing story herself) have just been very blessed people. Sure we worked hard but there was no security. All I could do personally was to just keep taking school. Even now i'm in Dallas taking school lol ( though i'll probably withdraw soon)

If i could give advice from my experience it would be:
Don't give up guys. If this is what you want to do, find a reason worth fighting for. For me, it was to help those one day in positions like my own family:Lowest income tier and no medical insurance. I figured you know, many people don't even have the opportunity to be at a university and to reach for a medical school goal. That realization,sprinkled with the blessing of God, helped me get a seat despite more discouragement than encouragement ( at least, in person).

So really, this SDN was a very good source of encouragement for me!

But don't worry guys! I'm not out of the woodshed yet! so I'll need as much as I can get! I'm the lowest GPA accepted ( based on last years' 2009 matriculant pool). My mcat is bottom 15% as well.(school's avg gpa is 3.8 with 33 mcat.)
So i'm not sure how being the bottom 1% of this school translates to a successful future.... but I'll continue to update.

As for the blog, Your pm's is what remind me to update !: P I would be happy to help you guys in listening and or crafting a good plan so that every one of you can join me in the profession one day.

Last edited:
SOOOOO happy for you!!!! I had only been lurking bc Im not even where youre at yet .... so proud of you and im glad you didnt give up....

SOOOOO happy for you!!!! I had only been lurking bc Im not even where youre at yet .... so proud of you and im glad you didnt give up....

Thank you.. don't ever give up yourself for whatever you set out to do: )

I was bored at work and read your thread. It was entertaining. I am so happy for you. It just shows that we can all do anything we put our minds to.:love::love::love::love:
accepted 2014 UCF

Thank you.. don't ever give up yourself for whatever you set out to do: )

wow. i remember when this thread started. congrats, holmes. you deserve it. great school, too.

I am so happy for you. I have been following your story for a while and it is great to see that you got in. You are a true inspiration for us who are still trying to get in. Your strong determination has allowed you to prosper. Congrats on the big news.

Great Thread. I have also had to overcome a lot of adversity over the past couple of years(family and personal issues) that have affected my GPA. Even though I'm still an undergrad it's great to know someone else has had to overcome obstacles to get into med school.

Hopefully I'll be in your shoes in a couple of years, bro!

Don't worry about being on the lower end of the MCAT + GPA curve for your class. Everyone will have to work really hard. It might be minimally easier for the 40+ MCAT, 3.9 GPA people, but EVERYONE will work hard. You need to be mentally and physically ready when you start, and my best advice is try to find a friend who is a 2nd year student to give you study tips, and if you feel you are struggling then get help (tutoring, etc.) as soon as you notice a problem. The main important thing to know is they'll give you way more crap to memorize than you possibly can...so you have to learn to pick out the important stuff that you really have to know to pass the exams. This stuff you find out from the professors, the tutors, maybe the students on year ahead of you and perhaps the old exams from last year (if you are allowed to get those and study from them). The 29 MCAT really isn't that different than a low 30's one, and your recent GPA is good so if you maintain your focus, should be O.K.

Congrats Homes!!!

I wish I found this thread two years ago. Amazing, simply outstanding story. I am sure you will make a great doctor someday.

Last edited:
I just read through this whole thread....huge CONGRATS!!! Enjoy your time at UT Southwestern! :)

:) This inspired me...stay blessed

seriously, your story is incredible. are you at UT now? if you could spare the time, it'd be great if you blogged about your journey through med school... i really want to know how you're doing. be BLESSED!

I absolutely love this story. Made me tear. (it didn't help that I was listening to some sad tunes). :D

I am so glad that you never gave up! Best of luck to you! :)

What an inspirational story! I wish you all the best. I hope to join you at Southwestern one day.

Rags2MD, "Pack it in. Or - go to the Caribbean." Do you remember this post? It was actually the first piece of advice given to you after you posted and started your thread. I think this is a perfect example of something that many of us have faced or may face soon as we continue through our journey. The existence of discouragement is something that sems to be inevitable, but what sets us apart is how we deal with it and you have shown us that you have more courage than any one else can try and take away from you. Fortunately, this thread has contained some very positive posts which I am sure also helped you along the way as yours has helped people like me. As long as you continue what your doing your plan to help others in a position similar to yours will be an easy success especially since it's working already.