SDN 2009 Ophthalmology Residency Match Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you match?

• Yes, I matched!

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's match time again and every year I collect and post applicants' stats anonymously. Your participation provides data that are not available elsewhere and are helpful to those who follow in your footsteps!

If you matched, then remember to join the American Academy of Ophthalmology. You can contact [email protected] for more information.

Consider this article by Ruben Sanchez, MD when making your match list:
http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/articles/Sanchez-Match-Pearls.pdf

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED UNTIL AFTER MATCH DAY, JAN 15, 2009
Reminder: ranklists due by JAN 08, 2009, 12:00 PM (PST)

In addition to the poll above, if you would like to participate in the anonymous detailed listing of matched and unmatched applications (hopefully all matched on this board), then please submit a personal message to me. I'll post your stats without identification if you prefer. (Click here for 2008 SDN Match Poll).

If you send me a PM or post, then please use the template below:

--Board Scores:
--AOA and class rank: if known
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc)
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine)
--# and where you did away rotations:
--# of programs you applied to:
--Where invited for interviews:
--Where matched:
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc)

Also, several faculty and I have started Pearls in Ophthalmology, which is a newsletter for new and current residents. The purpose of the newsletter is to provide you with review articles that will help new residents get up to speed and to stimulate review for current residents. If you would like to opt into this newsletter, then please subscribe at: http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/2006/12/subscribe-to-free-pearls-in.html

Members don't see this ad.

--Board Scores: step 1 239/97, step 2 not taken yet
--AOA and class rank: no AOA at my school
--Reputation of medical school: top 25
--Research: 1 non-ophtho pub in good neuro journal, 1 pending ophtho pub (submitted by the time I applied), 2 ARVO abstracts, Neuroscience abstract, lots of research experience in undergrad and med school
--Honors in clerkships: no honors at our school
--# and where you did away rotations: none
--# of programs you applied to: 32
--Where invited for interviews: Wilmer, Baylor, UTSW, UPenn/Scheie, WashU, Vanderbilt, Stanford, UCSD, Casey/OHSU, U of Chicago, Cleveland Clinic, Yale, Colorado, Pittsburgh. Invited but did not attend: UNC, UFlorida, UT-San Antonio, UT-Houston
--Where matched: UC-San Diego/Shiley!!! (#3 choice)
--Anything that helped your app: extra degree (not phd), extra research year, big-wig letters, community activities related to ophtho, being well rounded, interesting hobbies

##############################################
Board Scores: Step 1: 238/99, Step 2: continuing to avoid! :p
--AOA and class rank: AOK (i.e. not AOA)
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) top 50?
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) 1 ARVO Poster Presentation, 1 recently submitted abstract to ARVO... No publications as of yet.
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine): Honors: Neurology, OB/GYN, Psychiatry; High Pass: Everything else!
--# and where you did away rotations: UC Irvine
--# of programs you applied to: 43
--Where invited for interviews: UT Houston, St. Louis U, Oklahoma, UI Chicago, UC Irvine, UT Memphis, LSU Shreveport, LSU Ochsner, Tulane, Texas Tech, UT Galveston
--Where matched: UT HOUSTON :love:
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) START EARLY! Get to know the faculty at your school, do research (anything... just to show you're interested), work on getting good letters of recommendation (the Chairman, Program Director, big wig in Surgery), had a Masters degree (but for sure an MD/PhD will help tons)... Be friendly and enthusiastic on interviews!!! Sorry, my head is racing... I JUST MATCHED!!! WAH HOOO!!! :laugh:
##############################################

Board Scores:249/99,
--AOA and class rank: Not
--Reputation of medical school: Prob not top 20
--Research:Some ophtho, three publications, one first author ophtho
--Honors in clerkships: Surg, psych, neuro
--# and where you did away rotations: 4 aways==>no interviews there!
--# of programs you applied to:30
--Where invited for interviews: Casey, Yale, CPMC, U of VA, U of AZ, St. Lukes/Roosevelt, U of Syracuse
--Where matched: U of Arizona/UPHK!!
--Anything that helped your app: :confused:

#######################

--Board Scores: Step 1: 255 Step 2: 276
--AOA and class rank: NOT AOA; Rank 24/230ish
--Reputation of medical school: Top 25
--Research: 2 small projects with no publications
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in everything(including medicine and surgery) except pediatrics
--# and where you did away rotations: 0
--# of programs you applied to: 50
--Where invited for interviews: UCLA, Baylor, UTSW, U Florida, U S. Florida, Colorado, UAB, U Arizona, UMDNJ U Louisville, Loma Linda, Wayne State, Mizzou, SLUEI, U Miz KC, Kansas, LSU Shreveport MC Wisconsin
--Where matched: UTSW
--Anything that helped your app: 1 big wig letter

#######################

--Board Scores: Step 1, 247 (99) Step 2 not yet
--AOA yes; class rank unknown
--Reputation of medical school: top 25 I think
--Research: 1 ophtho pub not first author, 1 ARVO poster 1st author, 1 ARVO pub not first author
--Honors in clerkships: surgery, medicine, ob-gyn, peds
--# and where you did away rotations: 1, and matched there
--# of programs you applied to: 38
--Where invited for interviews: Emory, Yale, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Cleveland Clinic, Boston U, UMDNJ, SUNY Downstate, Northshore LIJ, NYMC, Temple
--Where matched: @ top choice
--Anything that helped your app: AWAY ROTATION, letter of rec from well known ophthal (non-full time academic but knew me very well), interesting path to medicine (ie. a prior life before med school)

#######################

--Board Scores: Step I: 244/99 Step II: 249/99
--AOA and class rank: AOA as senior
--Reputation of medical school: Top 50
--Research: Ophtho research with 2 pending ophtho pubs (one first author, one second author), 2 ARVO presentations, other presentations.
--Honors in clerkships: Surgery, Medicine, Peds, Ophtho. Letters: OB/Gyn
--# and where you did away rotations: None
--# of programs you applied to: 36
--Where invited for interviews: 20. Interviewed at: Dean McGee (Oklahoma), Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio State, Mass Eye and Ear, Wash U, UCLA, UCSF, UC Davis, Mayo Clinic, Wills
--Where matched: Wills!!! (my #1)
--Anything that helped your app: Strong letters from people I had worked with extensively.

#######################

--Board Scores: step 1: >250
--AOA and class rank: Junior AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Middle Tier
--Research: One published ophtho manuscript, several publications in different field,
--Honors in clerkships: Ophtho x2, Peds, Medicine, Surgery, Family med, Neuro, Psych,
--# and where you did away rotations: 1
--# of programs you applied to: 40
--Where invited for interviews: Interviewed at Wilmer, BPEI, Wills, Iowa, Baylor, Oregon, MEEI, Wisconsin, UIC, UTSW, Colorado, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Wash U. Did not receive interviews at: Emory, Duke, Michigan, UCSF, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal Pacific.
--Where matched: Top 5 program (where I did an away)
--Anything that helped your app: The single most helpful thing I did was to do an away rotation. The away rotation allowed me to get a nice LOR from a well-known ophthalmologist, which opened up some doors for me that otherwise might have been shut. If you do an away rotation, work hard but also be yourself.

#######################

Board Scores:Step 1 259, step 2 268
--AOA and class rank: if known; not known
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc); top 20?
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications); couple ophtho pubs
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine); honors in all
--# and where you did away rotations: one away
--# of programs you applied to: about 50
--Where invited for interviews: >30; meei, wilmer, iowa, ucsf, jsei, stanford, davis, cpmc, uci, ucsd, loma linda, baylor, utsw, univ of wisc, mayo, univ of chicago, uic, columbia, nyeei, mt sinai, tufts, yale, wash u, univ of wash and some others
--Where matched: jsei
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) supportive faculty, board scores, lots of research in ophtho

#######################

board scores: Step 1 = 253/99; Step 2 = not yet taken
AOA/class rank: AOA, class rank unk
rep of med school: top 10
research: ophtho with pending pubs
honors in clerkships: all except peds (HP)
aways: none
no of programs applied to: 30
no invited to: 24
no went on: 14 (penn, wills, wilmer, emory, bpei, mich, iowa, wash u, stanford, ucsf, ucla, usc, cpmc, ohsu)
matched: wilmer
things that helped app: research with a well known faculty member, going to a school with a good ophtho dept whose faculty are known and respected - letters from them helped, luck, being pleasant on interview days.

#######################

--Board Scores: Step 1 227/95 Step 2 253/99
--AOA and class rank: Top 25-50%
--Reputation of medical school: Not sure, top 50?
--Research: Pending publication, multiple pending abstracts, few abstracts/presentations
--Honors in clerkships: OB-GYN, family med, psych, all ophtho rotations and other electives, rest high pass
--# and where you did away rotations: 3
--# of programs you applied to: 60 (too much – stick to a mix of appropriate programs – especially within your region – interviews seem very regional)
--Where invited for interviews: Offered 18, Attended 13. Yale, UC Davis, Albany, Bronx-leb, Cornell, Einstein, U Maryland, St. Vincent's, SUNY Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, Sinai/Krieger, Wilmer, Temple, Howard, LSU Oschner, Tulane, Nassau University
--Where matched: #2
--Anything that helped your app: Get involved as early as you can. LOR's from people who know you. I had my chairman write a letter thinking you need a "big-wig" letter but I feel that my other letters from less well known people were spoken about more on interviews since they were strong and personal. Speak to people…many people. Ophtho is a small world and the more Dr's/residents/students you speak with about the field and the application process the more prepared you will be.

#######################

--Board Scores: Step I: 231/96, Step II: 261/99
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, top 20% of class
--Reputation of medical school: ???, state school
--Research: some ongoing ophtho research, no publications
--Honors in clerkships: school doesn't use honors
--# of programs you applied to: 27
--Where invited for interviews: Wake Forest, USouth Carolina, Florida-Gainesville, UAB, Mississippi, Arkansas, LSU-Shreveport, LSU-New Orleans, UT-Southwestern, UT-San Antonio, UT-Houston
--Where matched: #1 choice
--Anything that helped your app: Having work experience in the field prior to med school and I was told on interviews that my LOR were good. I am proof that you don't have to have tons of research and do 5 away rotations to match successfully.

#######################

--Board Scores: Step 1: 264 (99), Step 2: unknown
--AOA and class rank: Senior AOA, exact rank unknown, top 1/3
--Reputation of medical school: Middle tier private school
--Research: ARVO poster (not first author), some other case reports/posters in progress, nothing published
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine, Surgery, Peds, Psych, OB - only high pass in Ophtho at home institution
--# and where you did away rotations: None
--# of programs you applied to: 32
--Where invited for interviews: 8 (UCLA, Colorado, Wash U, Rush, Loyola, BU, U Washington, Vanderbilt)
--Where matched: Colorado
--Anything that helped your app: nothing in particular. overall well-rounded person that is able to talk normally in interviews. No big-wig letters, no aways, no special extra degrees or research.

#######################

--Board Scores: Step 1: 263, Step 2: 264
--AOA and class rank: Junior AOA
--Reputation of medical school: top 25
--Research: extensive but not ophtho
--Honors in clerkships: all except Neuro and OB/Gyn
--# and where you did away rotations: none
--# of programs you applied to: 19
--Where invited for interviews: Bascom, UTSW, UT Houston, Baylor, UCLA, USC, Stanford, UCSF, MEEI, U Michigan, Wills, Casey, Wash U
--Not invited to: Wilmer, Emory, OU, Pittsburgh, Duke, U Penn
--Where matched: #3

#######################

Last edited:
--Board Scores: Step 1 224 Step 2 240
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, Top 25%-50%
--Reputation of medical school: Solid regional school
--Research: 1 ophtho poster presentation in college, 1 pending case report, 1 pending ophtho paper
--Honors in clerkships: OBGYN, away ophtho High pass: medicine, home ophtho, family, peds
--# and where you did away rotations: 2
--# of programs you applied to: 80+
--Where invited for interviews:
-UIC- great program, nationally known faculty, old facilities, 90+ cataracts
-Stroger- high numbers, work till 7pm everyday, must know spanish, no contact lens exposure, no cosmetic exposure
-Northwestern- great faculty, great facilities, little end stage path exposure, 90+ cataracts
:DOklahoma- 99% surgical volume, great faculty, but its in oklahoma. They are also building a brand new eye center. Dean McGee is a great place!
-University of Kansas- medium numbers, nice residents, but its in Kansas
-Louisville- 140 cataracts. Weird residents. I thought they were hiding most of the residents. Conversation with a pgy2 who is single:"Are there cool places to go out here?-me "Well, i dont really go out, but I do like the Opera"
:DTexas Tech- The most underrated program in the country!. 260 cataracts as a primary. 20+ vitrectomies as a primary. Great faculty. Brand new facilities. OKAP scores are high (between 50-90 percentile in the country). Great fellowship placement. This is an amazing program. I did not expect this. If you're looking for amazing clinical and surgical training but you do not care about national reputation or living in Lubbock, then Tech is your place.
-Georgetown- good program, ~120 cataracts
-SUNY buffalo- nicest faculty and residents. 90+ cataracts
:DUniversity of South Florida-high surgical numbers and the happiest residents in the country. Very surprised with this program!
:scared:SUNY Downstate- q4 call. No call room, residents use to sleep in pt chairs, but now they sleep on a gurnee. Each resident signs a contract with a different hospital, thus your fellow resident will have the same schedule but will have different pay/benefits. One pgy2 gets paid 47,000 and another pgy2 will get paid 60,000!!
:mad:Eastern Virginia- bad vibe. Required to do a basic science paper and a clinical science paper. I was there from 7am-230pm and they did not serve lunch!! Arhhh!!
-Arkansas- 140 cataracts, pretty good place. Bad for single people
-UF Jacksonville- new program. expected high surgical numbers. 2010 residents will be the first ones who actually matched there. Upper level residents all did not match. They got into the program outside of the match (postmatch).

--Where matched: My 5th choice!
--Anything that helped your app: 2 chair letters, international medical mission experience, research, lots of volunteer experience, and being just an all-around personable person with a good sense of humor. I am the type of guy you want to grab a beer with.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
--Board Scores: Step 1: 233/97
--AOA and class rank: 2nd Quartile (Not AOA)
--Reputation of medical school: Not top tier
--Research: some ophtho with no publications
--Honors in clerkships: Pediatrics
--# of programs you applied to: 60
--Where invited for interviews: 7 (LSU New Orleans, Tulane, Montefiore/Einstein, Bronx Lebanon, Howard, UT San Antonio, Nassau University Medical Center
--Where matched: Montefiore/Einstein

I'm not a big post-er on this forum, but I found it helpful at points during the application process...including the profiles from last years applicants. So thought I'd contribute. Thanks for all the info..

--Board Scores: 267 / 99 on Step 1, no Step 2 yet
--AOA and class rank: junior AOA, school does not rank
--Reputation of medical school: I don't know... top 5? top 10?
--Research: 1 year HHMI-NIH research fellowship in ophthalmology; 9 publications (8 in ophtho), 6 presentations (5 in ophtho)
--Honors in clerkships: All of them
--# and where you did away rotations: Did not do any aways
--# of programs you applied to: 38
--Where invited for interviews: invited to 35, went to 15..the usual suspects for academic programs... Mass Eye and Ear, UCLA/Jules Stein, Wilmer, Bascom Palmer, Wills Eye Institute, Duke, USC/Doheny, UCSF, Baylor, Univ of Michigan, WashU, Stanford, NYEEI, NYU...
--Where matched: Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary (#1)
--Anything that helped your app: luck, supportive faculty and research mentors

Last edited:
I also found the SDN forum to be a valuable tool for navigating the ophtho residency process. Thanks to Dr. Doan and Dr. Sanchez for all their hard work and dedication to making this site a success.

--Board Scores: Step 1 - 247(99), Step 2 - 266(99)
--AOA and class rank: AOA, top 20%
--Reputation of medical school: Top 25
--Research: Extensive ortho basic science research (no pubs), 2 ophtho manuscripts submitted for publication (1st author), ARVO poster 2008 (1st author), NANOS poster 2009 (1st author), ARVO abstract submitted for 2009 (1st author).
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine, Surgery, FM, Peds, Neurology, Ophtho at home, Ophtho at away.
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 away at Wills Eye.
--# of programs you applied to: 49 (a little excessive)
--Where invited for interviews: 38 Interviewed: Bascom Palmer, Wills Eye, Emory, UCLA, Wilmer, Michigan, Vanderbilt, Utah, Oregon-Casey, WashU, UCSD, Iowa, Yale, UWisconsin, UVA. Did not go: UC-Davis, CPMC, Loma Linda, Colorado, Oklahoma, UIC, UTSW, UAB, UF, UT-Memphis, MCG, South Carolina, MUSC, UNC, Pitt, NYEEI, Columbia, Beaumont, BU, Tufts, Wake Forest, Case Western, Mayo
--Where matched: Bascom Palmer!!! (#1) :D
--Anything that helped your app: Most people have good board scores and honors in some clerkships, but I believe that LORs are the key to an excellent application. Be sure to schedule rotations where you get significant one-on-one interaction with faculty for preferably a month (the more “big wig,” the better). I worked extensively with my letter writers and worked extremely hard during the rotation. Excellent letters from big-wigs go a long way! Enjoyed meeting all the other applicants and faculty on the interview trail, and assessed what type of program was the right fit for me. In the end, relax, and BE YOURSELF! Let your true personality come out and you will find the program that is right for you. For future applicants; PM me anytime with further questions.

Last edited:
--Board Scores: Step 1 - 249(99), Step 2 - take it in 2 weeks
--AOA and class rank: senior AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Top 20
--Research: GI basic science research (3 pubs); 1 ophtho manuscripts submitted for publication, 4 ophtho projects still working on; 1 ob/gyn project still working; 1 published peds case report, 1 submitted medicine case report; 2 posters in medicine
--Honors in clerkships: all of them
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 at Doheny.
--# of programs you applied to: 31
--Where invited for interviews: UT Southwestern, UT Galveston, Baylor, Boston U, Mass Eye & Ear, WashU, Loma Linda, UC Irvine, Doheny, Yale, Georgetown, Emory, Rush, UChicago, UIC, Columbia, NYU
--Where matched: NYU (#2)
--Anything that helped your app: LORs from people that knew me very well and really were close mentors (they were all ophtho and pretty well connected). Away rotation at USC, definitely worth it and loved my time there (6 weeks with research and clinical exposure). -Definitely enjoyed meeting the other applicants on the interview trail and can't wait to see people as residents!
-Important things that I learned about myself and what I wanted while on the trail: size of program, type of program, 1st year residents (who will be your 3rd years), faculty, my future goals, and location (for my family).

I found the match stats thread from previous years to be the most helpful source of information in assessing the competitiveness of my application. With 29 of 29 matching according to the poll, there is a derth of stats. Let's continue to help those that come after us! Remember that you can post anonymously with Dr. Doan.

--Board Scores: Step 1: 250 Step 2: Taking in Feb.
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, do not know class rank
--Reputation of medical school: Top 40ish
--Research: some ophtho with no publications
--Honors in clerkships: Ob/Gyn, Psych, Home and away Ophtho Rotations, HP everything else
--# and where you did away rotations: 2, LIJ and Columbia
--# of programs you applied to: 45
--Where invited for interviews: 8: LIJ, Georgetown, Bronx Lebanon, Montefieore, Drexel, Yale, Albany, NYMC
--Where matched: First Choice
--Anything that helped your app: I had pretty much regular letters, one from my chairman. I asked him to e-mail the program director at my top choice. Nothing really special about my application except my step 1 score possibly. Otherwise i am just your average joe who gets along with everyone.

Last edited:
--Board Scores: Step 1: 233/97 Step 2: 225/93
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, top 1/3
--Reputation of medical school: low-mid tier
--Research: a few ortho research projects, no ophtho
--Honors in clerkships: Ophtho, Urology, rest HP
--# and where you did away rotations: 1, MCG
--# of programs you applied to: 45
--Where invited for interviews: Invited to 10, Accepted 8: Louisville, LSU-Shreveport, MCG, Texas Tech, Arkansas, UMKC, Kansas U, Mississippi
--Where matched: LSU-Shreveport :thumbup:
--Anything that helped your app: Exceptional letter from PD, eagle scout, unique extra-cirriculars and service

icon1.gif

--Board Scores: Step 1: 225/94 Step 2: 266/99
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Upper tier
--Research: 2 months of research at Columbia with 1 ophtho publication pending and 2 submitted ARVO abstracts
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine (very helpful for me), Pediatrics, Psychiatry
--# and where you did away rotations: None--really not necessary
--# of programs you applied to: 65 (I was worried about the Step 1)
--Where invited for interviews: Invited to 16, Accepted 13: NYU, Columbia, BU, SUNY Downstate, Mayo Clinic, Wake Forest, UNC, Kresge, MCW, Loyola, Einstein/Montefiore, St. Luke's, Loma Linda; Invited: LIJ, St. Vincent's, Mt. Sinai
--Where matched: Wake Forest! :thumbup:
--Anything that helped your app: Step 2, research and letter from research preceptor at Columbia, strong letter from medicine dept., diversity of experiences (2 years living in Guatemala, Spanish speaking, firefighting, etc.)

Last edited:
--
Board Scores: Step 1 = 255/99, Step 2= 273/99
AOA and class rank: No such thing in my country
Reputation of medical school: Foreign, but somewhat known in the east coast mainly.
Research: 1 internal medicine publication in a known American journal
Honors in clerkships: Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, Ear Nose & Throat, Dermatology.
# and where you did away rotations:1 away in UCLA
# of programs you applied to:90 (IMG...)
Where invited for interviews:UCSD, Loma Linda, Dean Mcgee @OKC, Boston U, St. Vincent's NYC, NYMC, Bronx-Lebanon, Henry Ford, Tampa, Syracuse, Missouri, Med C Virginia
Where matched:Dean McGee Eye Institute, OKC!
Anything that helped your app: Great USMLE scores, 1 semi big-wig LOR, very interesting life experience, mature personality, clinical experience (though not in ophthalmology)

IMGs - Feel free to contact me with questions. It is possible!

#######################

Congrats :thumbup:
Can I know your user name so I can ask you some Qs plz :confused: