Foreign students transfer to US after Step I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acetabulum

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know if any schools in US would accept transfer applicants after USMLE Step I is written.

I heard that some schools will even accept non-US citizens provided that they have competitive Step I scores (e.g. over 90 percentile). Is this true or just plain nonsense?

Members don't see this ad.

hey,

this is what I heard, so I dont know if its true or not.

First some schools will take you if they have open spots in that class. Some schools will take you but make you repeat the basic sciences, both or just the 2nd year. You have a better chance at a private med school than a public school. And overall it is very rare. Only 2-3% manage to transfer into a US school from a foreign medical school.

Thats what I have heard, hopefully someone else who knows better can explain it better.

Originally posted by lmbebo
overall it is very rare.

That about sums it up. Try schools that have a history of transfers from your school first, your state schools second, private ones third, and then the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got 97 on Step 1

2 US schools were ready to sign me up
after seeing this.

One was my Undergrad

Both eventually asked for my UNDERGRAD
GPA------> 2.4 OR 2.5 [surprisingly they were not concerned with my performance in middle school or kindergarten]

The deal suddenly became very complicated.

One finally fell through and I eventually gave up on the other
because they wanted me to start from scratch.

so, if you had a near miss GPA and > 90th%ile Step 1

I say GO FOR IT -- you owe it to yourself
otherwise
keep plugging away
destroy step2
honor in your rotations
and you will be forgiven come interview time.
I was

Good Luck to all

iamubiquitous, congrats on your Step 1 :clap:

I am stydying in Ireland and do not have US citizenship/green card, and I have to write my Step 1 in about a year's time.

do you mind telling us which 2 schools you applied to? I know it's frustrating that you have to start fresh after Step 1.

I concur with the above sentiments that it is possible but difficult. There's a book out on this subject entitled Transferring to a United States Medical School. Find it and buy it. IMHO the most useful info in it was the appendix which listed the U.S. med schools that allow such advanced standing transfers. After I received my Step 1 score report (244/99), I dropped an e-mail to each of these schools expressing my interest. Five of them (the only one I remember now is SIU) reciprocated my interest. Problem was, I had just missed that academic year's deadlines by like one month. So for me, it came down to "losing" another year and joining a U.S. school's 3rd year, or immediately transferring into a Caribbean school's 3rd year. I chose the latter. To this day I don't know if I made the right choice. I'll find out next week I suppose--Match Day is upon me.

To sum things up, my motto is this: Almost impossible means still possible. And if it's possible, I'll be damned if I don't do it. Go for it. Good luck.

Originally posted by Acetabulum
iamubiquitous, congrats on your Step 1 :clap:

I am stydying in Ireland and do not have US citizenship/green card, and I have to write my Step 1 in about a year's time.

do you mind telling us which 2 schools you applied to? I know it's frustrating that you have to start fresh after Step 1.

A,

I am not sure what you meant by frustrated b/c had to start over---just to be clear I opted not to do that

anyway
University of South Florida
University of Miami (the one that would have me)

Note U of M has a policy that you must have taken MCAT
PRIOR to med school matriculation in order to be considered
(screwed up rule meant to afford them more control)

also -- I didnt really have the $$ to go to Miami anyway
tuition alone is right at $30,000/yr

will be glad to answer any more questions

good luck

Originally posted by Dr. Cuts
I concur with the above sentiments that it is possible but difficult. There's a book out on this subject entitled Transferring to a United States Medical School. Find it and buy it. IMHO the most useful info in it was the appendix which listed the U.S. med schools that allow such advanced standing transfers. After I received my Step 1 score report (244/99), I dropped an e-mail to each of these schools expressing my interest. Five of them (the only one I remember now is SIU) reciprocated my interest. Problem was, I had just missed that academic year's deadlines by like one month. So for me, it came down to "losing" another year and joining a U.S. school's 3rd year, or immediately transferring into a Caribbean school's 3rd year. I chose the latter. To this day I don't know if I made the right choice. I'll find out next week I suppose--Match Day is upon me.

To sum things up, my motto is this: Almost impossible means still possible. And if it's possible, I'll be damned if I don't do it. Go for it. Good luck.

cuts...where did you transfer to a carribean program from???

iamubiquitous, you sound like a FL resident by the schools you mentioned. Either way, did you find out anything positive or negative about whether U. of Florida accepts IMGs? Thanks.

it was just a word of mouth thing
but
consistent with what I know of them

ans = no, not unless you have all above features of your app AND know someone important.

the are really snobby -- much more than their position in med world should allow.

best of luck

Acetabulum --

I am a carrib student and I tried transferring into a US school after my MSII year. I had pretty good grades and my Step I was 240/97. I didn't get in straight from undergrad though my MCAT was 11,12,11 (my GPA was around a 3.0 -- I double majored in English and Bio in less than 4 years and thought med schools would look at this as a reason for my low GPA, but they didn't really care). I am from Cali too, which makes it more difficult to get into a US med school out of undergrad vs. other states. In any case, I pretty much called every single med school in the US and asked them if they were accepting transfers. I can tell you that unless you have an "in" -- i.e. you know somebody that can push for you or have some extenuating circumstances -- you'll be hard-pressed to find a spot.

I got an interview an George Washington University, which I thought went pretty well, but unfortunately I was the last one out of the short list to get in. One of my classmates, a good friend of mine and with lower Step I scores, was the only IMG to get in, and he had to repeat his 2nd year. He had managed a 4.0 in his first two years, was from the DC area, and had suffered incredible family loss during his first two years of med school. How he was able to finish those two years, let alone do so well, is beyond me. What I am trying to say is that he was as hard-luck a case as exists, and he was a solid applicant -- even with all this, he barely got in.

Having said that, I know two other students in my class that got into MCP-Hahnemann after their MSII year. They had significantly lower board scores than I did (though they were both 4.0 students), didn't have stellar undergrad performances by any means, but had connections into MCP. And for MCP, you have to take your Step I early (by the traditional August/September med school start date standard) to apply for a position.

My point with all this is that it is possible, but very difficult, and you really need a solid "in". If you are seriously considering, you really should ask yourself a couple of questions:

1) Why do I really want to transfer? By no means is an education at Harvard necessarily better than an education at St. George's, but enough people feel that the person that didn't get into Harvard (or any US med school) is less worthy to be a doctor than the one that swallowed his or her pride and went abroad for the MD. I think it is obvious this isn't true, and if you talk to most people they will repeat the sentiment, but there is a discrepancy between what people openly say and how PD's decide who gets an interview at their residency spot and who doesn't. If you want a top-flight residency, you will need to get into a US med school. There are stories about every kind of FMG/IMG getting into every specialty there is out there, but no stories about an FMG/IMG getting into Hopkins or Brigham. You have to decide how much the reputation of the residency matters to you. If it is the stigma you wish to avoid, I would ask you if the myth you are trying to avoid be stereotyped into is being perpetuated by your desire to get out "at all costs." Just a thought.

2) Are you willing to do the things necessary to transfer? I don't mean to sound like Connery in The Untouchables, but it takes a lot of effort and a lot of legwork to transfer from abroad to US, and you are competing against a very good and very determined applicant pool. Believe me, I know. And for all your effort, the best you may get is a spot to repeat your 2nd year.

I don't mean to deter you -- in fact, I hope that this at least encourages you that it does happen, and often enough that I have run into people that have done it. But I will say this -- if you are going to transfer, go into med school with that mentality and do everything you can during your years there to do it. Chicago Med and MCP-Hahnemann take transfers into their second year as well (a fact I found out too late). Also, last I checked Brown had a program for Rhode Island residents who are abroad to transfer in, but you need to apply for it in something like October of the year before you wish to transfer. For IMG's: Indiana University offers transfers to Indiana residents; University of Wisconsin offers transfers to Wisconsin residents; Robert Wood Johnson offers transfers to New Jersey residents; Marshall offers transfers to West Virginia residents first, then Virginia and adjoining state residents. Tulane, Chicago Med, MCP Hahnemann, George Washington University, U of Vermont and SUNY Syracuse (Upstate) all accept transfers depending on space.

If I were to do it again, I would pick a state going in where I thought there would be a decent chance of getting in w/residence, and I would somehow get a driver's license or something else from there to start, and then get to know as many people as possible in the admissions department PERSONALLY. Yeah, that means (as kindly as possible) bug the living crap out of them until they know your grandmother's maiden name.

I hope this all has helped. I wish someone told me all this before I went into med school in the carribean. Good luck -- my experience has been that those people that have tried to transfer, even if they failed to get into a US med school, have one way or another ended up where they wanted to be eventually. I hope that inspires and assures.

i have a question. i am going to go to the republic of panama to begin my first year of med school this april. its a private school and everything is in spanish. how hard do you guys think it will be to do well on the usmle step 1? and how hard do you think it will be to transfer? i am a florida resident and i took the mcat and i didn't do to great. i got a 18P (6 in all sections). anyway my gpa is at a 3.0, im a psych major. and umm...i didn't apply b/c i knew i wasn't gonna get in. so im off to panama, hoping to start there and do well and hopefully come back to the US for my residency. i want to try to transfer after my first year to either a florida school or NJ. what do you guys think? at NJMS i know people that can help me get in as well as USF. (people on the admissions committee). so i don't know. do you guys think this is possible? even if it is a spanish school unlike the carib schools?:confused:

"There are stories about every kind of FMG/IMG getting into every specialty there is out there, but no stories about an FMG/IMG getting into Hopkins or Brigham."

Hey ZfoURO -

That was solid advice, and hats off to your friend at George Washington!

Just one thing to add: There are IMG's getting into "top-flight residencies" ! I know of 2. If you don't believe me, check out the class rosters! One is a Canadian IMG (Carib School?) who is in OB (I think, it's been a while since I read it) at Brigham, the other is a German IMG doing neurosurgery!!! at Harvard/Mass General. How impressive is that? :)

I guess - the bottom line is: Everything is possible, just because it hasn't been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done... limits were, after all, made to be broken ;)

SweetMD --

I stand corrected... and happily so. It is inspiring to hear of such success stories, and I am all too glad to hear about it. Hopefully I'll post one of those stories from my own personal experience in a year.

Acetabulum --

There you go. I couldn't agree more with SweetMD: limits were meant to be pushed, and hopefully you will be posting advice to some future transfer hopeful about how you got into a US school as an IMG/FMG, or how you matched at Brigham as an FMG. Good luck again.

hey sweetthang, I would not bet on transfering after the first year. However, if you rock the USMLE after the second, there is a small chance to transfer to the US. Just my opinion. Good luck.