"To Do" the summer before vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumstorm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get my 'to do' list together, and have so many ideas scampering around my brain, that I feel certain I am forgetting some things. So care to share your list?

- attend clicker expo
- complete/submit acceptance & deposit
- vacation to bonaire
- find/buy a house
- visit family (if possible)
- throw memorial day party
- attend friends wedding
- prepare house for husband (easier for him while I am away)
- sort, store, organize
- get vax records from my schools
- get dog's/cats' vax records
- buy a bike
- mend scrubs
- have a going away party
- arrange gardens for easy management
- arrange dog walker for hubby
- pack
- finish pre-reqs

Wow..just so much to do....and my mind just isn't slowing down. Need some sleep but to hyped.

Members don't see this ad.

PINCH every single penny that I can and build up my savings account
Find roommate/apartment to stay in
European vacation
Spend as much time with friends/family that I can
Get vaccine records together, both for me and pets
Cook/freeze meals for school
Financial aid stuff (bleh)

just remembered:
dr visit
dentist visit
eye appt.
*sigh*

Members don't see this ad :)
-get rabies vaccine :clap::clap:
- find place to live
- move in/get furniture/set up internet etc
-get school supplies and sweats to wear nearly everyday
- tell all of my friends that I will no longer have a social life
- start blog?

Nyanko, I can't relax NOW! I am so hyped up, that I can't sit still. I type, hop up, do chores, email, work on the garden, homework, train the dogs,

I have a hard time relaxing on a normal day...and this week/month/summer won't be normal. I will enter vet school BEFORE I turn 30!

And it is sunny and beautiful here now!

eatpinkpenguins, thanks for the rabies reminder. I probably have to update tetanus too, which is a hospital visit for me :-(

- find a place to live that will allow rabbits and not cost 500$ for a pet deposit (hopefully before the end of the month)
- call insurance company and ask if they cover rabies vacc. then go get physical and loudly proclaim in Dr. Office that I'm there for my rabies shot for some LOLs.
- get extra sweatshirts for chilly lecture halls
- get scrub pants and hem them up
- get furniture!
- work at my vet's office as a true paid employee (!) -- save money for fall
- turn 21 at the end of July and get all of my binge drinking done before August 17! :thumbup:

No advice from me. I'm not that far yet. I just wanted to say congrats! :D

I recommend Poland, Krakov :thumbup:

definitely!! Or Cinque Terre, Italy. That was my fav place in Europe. Or Berlin. Or Split, Croatia. That one's up there too. Okay, I think I definitely need to move to Europe....

I don't think my list is as exciting ;) No Europe for me.

-Finding a place to live/apartment to rent
-Getting married
-Go on honeymoon in Florida (how romantic :laugh:)
-Attempt to track down/move most of my stuff that's been in storage for years
-Buy some new shoes/clothes. Everything is falling apart
-While doing all of the above, attempt to save some money. Is that even possible?
-Rabies vaccine
-Try and fight workman's comp some more over an old injury

Really?? What is there? I am going for a few weeks and we have Germany and Greece and Italy and Paris on the to do list!

Well, if you are into it, there are the women!

But if your not into that sort of thing, it is by far my favorite place in Europe. Only been there 2x now, but its a lot of fun. They have the largest Castle/court in Europe (there are some disclaimers to that claim, like largest used in a war while fighting against elephants kinda thing), but it is still a lot of fun.

There is an old Jewish section that is really interesting. Its one of the few Polish cities that got spared bombing in WWII.

And it is home to a Cathedral (the one Karol Wojtyla (John Paul II)) presided at.

People are very friendly, and they have a small but fun club scene. And the women

I want to say its about 10 hours from Berlin (train), but I came from Budapest, so not quite sure. Check it out.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think my list is as exciting ;) No Europe for me.

-Getting married
-Go on honeymoon in Florida (how romantic :laugh:)

Ummm... that's pretty exciting! We honeymooned 1.5 years after our wedding in the Florida Keys.

My last summer ever :(

-Find a job, but not one that takes up the whole summer
-Go to Europe
-Travel around the US and see friends I haven't seen (or barely seen) since I started vet school
-Study radiographic anatomy!
-Relax!!
-Spend as many evenings as possible on porches at bars enjoying the weather

Wow, mine is so boring. I really wish I could afford to travel. So jealous!
Anyways, I have to...

-Work with some close friends of mine
-Save some money so I can afford to move
-Find an apartment
-Buy a new computer

:sleep:

Cool...here's my summer list:

-find an apartment (a CHEAP one, but one that isn't like a rat-hole!)
-find my bike that's locked up somewhere on campus and put it somewhere more appropriate where I can actually use it (lol)
-financial aid stuff
-buy a notebook comp
-work to save up money
-mini road trip with best friends
-send in spring transcripts
-dentist and doctor appts
-get rabies vaccine
-get new scrubs
-study japanese
-have fun!

I'm probably forgetting something. XD

You might check with your school on the rabies thing. We had about 1/2 of ours paid for by the school. It was still expensive, but cheaper than doing it ourselves.

I would say the number one thing to do is relax and have a good time. School is hard :)

- start working on and finish 2 online classes in less than a month and a half, oh good lord...
- learn how to cook better so I can hopefully stop spending sooo much money eating out
- locate good restaurants, coffee shops, bars (gotta de-stress sometimes!), and study spots around the school
- find an apartment
- hit up ikea hardcore
- buy a new laptop
- spend as much time out in NC with my boyfriend before he deploys : (
- beach, beach, beach, and more beach
- enjoy life!
- buy a new warm jacket (if I go to a midwest school)
- load up the pup on shots
- have the best summer everrrrrr!

hmm, not really sure yet!

GET IN SHAPE!, work work work, amusement parks!, read

-
- spend as much time out in NC with my boyfriend before he deploys :

That's funny....I have the same thing on my to do list. Is your boyfriend at Ft. Bragg? My boyfriend is deployed right now, but he is coming home soon. He was just approved for off base housing, so I am going to spend the summer with him before he re-deploys in probably October.

That's funny....I have the same thing on my to do list. Is your boyfriend at Ft. Bragg? My boyfriend is deployed right now, but he is coming home soon. He was just approved for off base housing, so I am going to spend the summer with him before he re-deploys in probably October.

That is funny! No, he's stationed at Camp Lejeune, but on Friday his battery is actually headed out to Bragg to train there for about a month.

How did your boyfriend get approved for off-base housing without you guys being married? Is he in the Army or the Marines and what does he do? Mine is in the Marines and I know they can't qualify without either being above a certain rank (and mine didn't enlist until after college) or without us being married. I'm soooo jealous though, him not living off base is the only reason why I don't think I can spend the summer out there, I don't think I can financially afford to rent a place or go broke on hotels. :(

That's awesome though. I'm always excited to meet other girls who are dating guys in the military who know how hard it is (at least in my opinion)! Where are you thinking of going in the fall?

-finish the research for my masters thesis
-write the darn thing
-GRADUATE!!!!!!
-move either to Europe, Ca or stay in Mo
-try to keep it all in perspective

Are they active duty?

Mine just came home from his 2nd tour in Iraq at the very end of August. :) The time went by pretty quickly for me because I was so busy! Plus, we were able to keep in communication so that helped.

Good luck to those spending time with their SO's before deployment.

Are they active duty?

Mine just came home from his 2nd tour in Iraq at the very end of August. :) The time went by pretty quickly for me because I was so busy! Plus, we were able to keep in communication so that helped.

Good luck to those spending time with their SO's before deployment.

Mine is, and I still have three years left of having to share him with the government, ouch! He's either going to Afghanistan or on a MEU in the fall so I guess at least I'll have school to keep me busy and hopefully help keep my mind off of it. And then we can spend the entire summer together hopefully...

That's great that yours is back. And if you have any advice on how to keep in touch/survive a deployment/stay sane I could definitely use the suggestions! I'm trying to think positive thoughts!

definitely!! Or Cinque Terre, Italy. That was my fav place in Europe. Or Berlin. Or Split, Croatia. That one's up there too. Okay, I think I definitely need to move to Europe....

OH MAN! I second Cinque Terre... I had the BEST frizzante white wine there... after three liters i threw it up, and my ravioli, all over the train.... aaahhhh the college life - how I miss thee....

Last edited:
-Quit my job(!!)
-Lots of yoga, and pilates, and running
-Find new appartment with diswasher, hardwood floors and good natural sunlight
-Vacation with the college roomate to either India or Thailand
-Refinish my coffee table and loveseat
-Buy a new computer.
-Use new computer to play Sims 3 when it comes out in July, and get it out of my system before school starts
-Take some horseback riding lessons to get over my only semi-rational dislike of horses

A brief aside: Is anyone else having trouble finding a rabies vaccine? At least in Texas, they told me that being an incoming vet student was not a significant enough reason to get a waiver and get vaccinated (Due to a national shortage...) Ummm...hello ?:confused: I kinda thought it might make me a really GOOD candidate right?

So with that in mind...
-Get rabies shot (?)
-Move/find house/ hope the boyfriend finds a job there/ move in
-Acclimate to the weather of the midwest from my Soutern Texas living (eek)
-Update the critters' vax records
-Find $$$ for vet school (I'm taking donations!!!:p)
-Visit friends/family
-Go HIKING!!!!
-retain sanity

That is funny! No, he's stationed at Camp Lejeune, but on Friday his battery is actually headed out to Bragg to train there for about a month.

How did your boyfriend get approved for off-base housing without you guys being married? Is he in the Army or the Marines and what does he do? Mine is in the Marines and I know they can't qualify without either being above a certain rank (and mine didn't enlist until after college) or without us being married. I'm soooo jealous though, him not living off base is the only reason why I don't think I can spend the summer out there, I don't think I can financially afford to rent a place or go broke on hotels. :(

That's awesome though. I'm always excited to meet other girls who are dating guys in the military who know how hard it is (at least in my opinion)! Where are you thinking of going in the fall?

It is really nice to meet other military girlfriends who are going to vet school!

My boyfriend is active duty army and he is in psychological operations. He is deployed right now to the Phillipines, but we don't know yet where he will re-deploy in the fall. He was able to get the off base housing because he is in a small unit with limited barracks. He also joined after college, but he was a senior when I was a freshman, so he has already been in for a couple of years and is 25. He applied for it a year ago and he just got approved.

I totally know how you feel about the cost of living together without the off base housing. We have spent a fortune over the years on hotel rooms! My best advice for getting through the deployment is to stay very busy....which shouldn't be too difficult once school starts! I'm pretty sure I am going to Kansas.:D

Doggone DVM – Scott & White has rabies vaccines. I got my second one today. Beutel Health Center also has them for 235.00 each. I got lucky because I am a GA for the vet school so occupational health paid for mine!

Jochebed- CONGRATS!! Is it a boy or a girl?? :)

- start working on and finish 2 online classes in less than a month and a half, oh good lord...
- learn how to cook better so I can hopefully stop spending sooo much money eating out
- locate good restaurants, coffee shops, bars (gotta de-stress sometimes!), and study spots around the school
- find an apartment
- hit up ikea hardcore
- buy a new laptop
- spend as much time out in NC with my boyfriend before he deploys : (
- beach, beach, beach, and more beach
- enjoy life!
- buy a new warm jacket (if I go to a midwest school)
- load up the pup on shots
- have the best summer everrrrrr!

I will do similar stuff during this best summer ever!:

-learn how to cook
-go to the beach and surf a LOT!!! (Are there any surfers in NCSU CVM class 2013, anyone? (I heard about a surf club on campus)
-buy new laptop (dont know if a mac or dell)
-spend time with boyfriend
-watch lots of movies that I havent seen yet (be a vegetable in front of the tv)
-paint lots of canvas
-try to sell some stuff (books, etc) through eBay
-be a Petsitter (pet nanny) and save the money
-help in an animal shelter that is close by
-go to the doctor
-organize and buy stuff for the apartment
-read what I want to read
-play, jump, exercise, dance, and be happy!

This is my first free summer since first college year (cuz I went to lots of internships and summer programs trying to build my extracurricular and academic history for vet school). Finally, it paid off! Woohoo! :soexcited: :clap:
-

lol, this is my first full summer working
i like research though, so it'll be a fun summer....if i can learn to wake up early and not go to bed after 3 am

@marine: i would love to surf! but i can't really swim
buy a mac!!!

This is my first free summer since first college year (cuz I went to lots of internships and summer programs trying to build my extracurricular and academic history for vet school). Finally, it paid off! Woohoo! :soexcited: :clap:
-

I can surf, but haven't in years. I do paint canvas, however!

As for free summer....this will be my first ever, period! I always had to work. Now I am only working 1 day a week. I think I might start ebaying just to generate some extra cash.

....I will enter vet school BEFORE I turn 30!

Hey I take offense to that! ;)

Man exciting stuff, I'm living through you guys right now so keep posting. Hopefully I'll get to post here, acceptance thread, successful applicant, final decisions...

Hey I take offense to that! ;)

Man exciting stuff, I'm living through you guys right now so keep posting. Hopefully I'll get to post here, acceptance thread, successful applicant, final decisions...

LOL. by less than a month. b-day is august 20.

I have to dance on a bar and ride a bull at the City Limits Salon since I was accepted to NCSU. I am glad I lost that bet even thought I did not think I would have to ride the bull.

Quit my job in July
(Pretend to work until then. I checked out last month.)
Doctor appointments
Visit friends & family
Garden
Exercise and walk the dogs
Transition project lead to another volunteer
Slow down on the volunteering
Turtle internship
Kiss my husband everyday for being so supportive as I quit my job and go into debt in the midst of a recession.
Give some tours of the tigers at CPT to friends
enjoy facebook until August
Dance like no one is watching!!!
Take spontaneous trips to the beach
Hang with the gal pals more
RELAX as much as possible.Take 2 weeks off before school starts to do NOTHING!!

My summer list:

-enjoy making real money
-enjoy spending money that isn't borrowed
-enjoy vacation days!
-vacation with family at the beach
-vacation with friends in Colorado
-more vacations, to be determined
-go to the mountains as many weekends as possible for hiking and relaxing
-work like crazy to leave my job in good shape for whoever replaces me
-drink nice wine while I can still afford it, and still have time to drink
-figure out what stuff I own and what I need to buy
-buy stuff
-maybe get a meningitis vaccine
-pack
-move

After the stress of the last few months, I am about ready for that first vacation!!

I have to dance on a bar and ride a bull at the City Limits Salon since I was accepted to NCSU. I am glad I lost that bet even thought I did not think I would have to ride the bull.

Quit my job in July
(Pretend to work until then. I checked out last month.)
Doctor appointments
Visit friends & family
Garden
Exercise and walk the dogs
Transition project lead to another volunteer
Slow down on the volunteering
Turtle internship
Kiss my husband everyday for being so supportive as I quit my job and go into debt in the midst of a recession.
Give some tours of the tigers at CPT to friends
enjoy facebook until August
Dance like no one is watching!!!
Take spontaneous trips to the beach
Hang with the gal pals more
RELAX as much as possible.Take 2 weeks off before school starts to do NOTHING!!

Hey, I saw that you mentioned CPT... you're talking about Carnivore Preservation Trust, right? I was an intern there the summer of '02, and absolutely loved it! I miss that place, especially certain animals, and am glad to know it's still around :)

Mine is, and I still have three years left of having to share him with the government, ouch! He's either going to Afghanistan or on a MEU in the fall so I guess at least I'll have school to keep me busy and hopefully help keep my mind off of it. And then we can spend the entire summer together hopefully...

That's great that yours is back. And if you have any advice on how to keep in touch/survive a deployment/stay sane I could definitely use the suggestions! I'm trying to think positive thoughts!

My KVN (Key volunteer network) was wonderful and kept us updated on just about everything.

Try and maintain a normal life. My classes were exhausting and I threw myself back into riding and training horses, so that soaked up all the free time that I would have to just stew and worry.

Many of the wives/fiancees call and hang out with each other, but I didn't really do that, but I did talk to my future MIL all the time, as sometimes he called her first or me and it was just nice to talk to someone going through the same thing.

But my biggest advice is don't sit and worry. I realized I had a higher chance of getting into a car accident and dying than he did in his occupation so I tried to stop all the "what ifs".

And if you'd like anymore advice/suggestions/etc, please feel free to pop me a message and I'll give you my e-mail/facebook/whatever you use because I understand as many of your "normal" friends may not.

gone

Last edited:
I can surf, but haven't in years. I do paint canvas, however!

As for free summer....this will be my first ever, period! I always had to work. Now I am only working 1 day a week. I think I might start ebaying just to generate some extra cash.

At least you know the basics. I mean, I'm not a pro, but I can stand up and run the wave without falling. I'm trying to learn the snap and all that. The thing is that I get so excited when I ride the wave and I concentrate really hard to do it well. So I don't try or practice the tricks as much as I would like.

Have you heard about that NCSU Surf Club? Do you know if they organize student trips to the beach? Is not like we are gonna have lots of time in vet school for surfing but one weekend wouldn't hurt. I live in an island with lots of good beach breaks and I am used to surf during the weekends. So is one of the sacrifices I will be doing when I move to NC (not having the beach so close by). :D

Some things of my "to-do" list before starting vet school this September:​

-Enjoy time with family, friends, and pets
-Cook and get some recipies together that I can freeze before school starts
-Read books for fun
-Watch movies and TV
-Dinner parties/movie nights/game nights with friends
-Go hiking in the woods with my dog
-Enjoy some local things around Cincinnati that I have not had the chance too over the years due to school/work/being busy (Restaurant Week, Taste of Cincy, Summer Arts Fair, etc.)
-Some art projects: photography, painting pottery, mosaics, and then a canvas where you throw darts at balloons filled with paint
-Travel- Florida, NY/CT, and a ‘big' trip that I promised myself…haven't decided where just yet….I'm thinking maybe Egypt???
-Live and enjoy the next few months
-Pack and move up to C-bus, get settled in and organized
- Be job free in late July/early August-ish (very bittersweet, I love my job!)
-Relax and enjoy my summer!

Aha! The planning sort, huh? Well, I'm glad you have a very un-modest boy on the way. Here's to lots of little footprints as he runs around the house naked in the future (assuming he continues to be un-modest ;)).

Congrats! :)

Hey, I saw that you mentioned CPT... you're talking about Carnivore Preservation Trust, right? I was an intern there the summer of '02, and absolutely loved it! I miss that place, especially certain animals, and am glad to know it's still around :)

I am talking about Carnivore Preservation Trust. I love it there so much. The cats have so much personality. Do you remember Romeo? He has been having some problems lately, and I am not sure how good his prognosis is. What a small world!

gone

Last edited:
My update!
-Finding a place to live/apartment to rent Check
-Getting married Did that June 13th!
-Go on honeymoon in Florida (how romantic :laugh:) Did that..had the rotovirus and was very, very sick
-Attempt to track down/move most of my stuff that's been in storage for years Check...still unpacking boxes
-Buy some new shoes/clothes. Everything is falling apart Haven't really done that. But I bought a new saddle for my horse, does that count?
-While doing all of the above, attempt to save some money. Is that even possible? Haha, don't think it's possible
-Rabies vaccine Waiting until school does that
-Try and fight workman's comp some more over an old injury Not going so well

Congratulations on your new baby Jochebed, and your marriage themightyfuzz!