Best EM Study Book/Pocket Guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studyinghard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite EM study guides and pocketbooks? I'm getting ready to purchase one of each for my upcoming EM rotation.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've been rather partial to this:

41KRS4S420L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's easy to look through, has a nice flow, gives the standard workup and treatment for stuff, easy to annotate...

I thought Case Files was okay as a student shelf-studying-type book.

When I did my third year peds, I borrowed this SOAP format book from a classmate that was pretty awesome for using on the fly in the peds ED. It was pretty light and fit in my white coat pocket. There's a general EM version that might be worth checking out, but I've never used it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked "Introduction to Emergency Medicine" by Mitchell and Medzon. Read it throughout 3rd year. Nice framework to build upon.

I agree. Like having this little guy in my lab coat. Would highly recommend it. :D

I've been rather partial to this:

41KRS4S420L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's easy to look through, has a nice flow, gives the standard workup and treatment for stuff, easy to annotate...

Last edited:
Pocket EM is way out of date and full of first edition mistakes, I wouldn't get it unless you plan on writing lots of tiny notes in the margins. Too bad they haven't revised it like the Medicine version.

However, Tarascon has the newest edition of Adult EM out and it's MUCH less expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Tarascon-Adul...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237608519&sr=8-2

Then start saving for the next edition of Rosen's which is coming out later this year:
http://www.amazon.com/Rosens-Emerge...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237608803&sr=1-2

41hH23iKIgL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This book is awesome.

One that I would NOT recommend is the EMRA "Top Ten Clincial Problems."

Maybe someone will disagree with me on this but I thought it was almost useless.

The Tarascon book is ok. The intended audience is really residents as it definitely assumes a certain level of knowledge (i.e. focuses more on things like sensitivities of certain studies rather than step by step work up).

Honestly as a med student the most important thing (I think) is to have a good grasp on your internal medicine/surgery. Stuff that is pure EM (like first trimester vag bleeding) I really don't think you're expected to know.

Yeah probably similar layout but the oxford american version is new and well... american : D

What about Mattu's ECG books?? Now that book 2 is out would anyone recommend getting 2 without owning 1. Or should I buy 1 although it was published in 2004?

One that I would NOT recommend is the EMRA "Top Ten Clincial Problems."

Maybe someone will disagree with me on this but I thought it was almost useless.

The Tarascon book is ok. The intended audience is really residents as it definitely assumes a certain level of knowledge (i.e. focuses more on things like sensitivities of certain studies rather than step by step work up).

Honestly as a med student the most important thing (I think) is to have a good grasp on your internal medicine/surgery. Stuff that is pure EM (like first trimester vag bleeding) I really don't think you're expected to know.

weird. I thought the EMRA book was super helpful... atlesat, back in 2002-2003 when I was a wee-one. Thought it had the high yield stuff and quick reminders. I never really used many other books. Even now as an attendign I have the tarascon pocketbooks with me, though rarely if ever look at them (I keep the peds EM and hte adult critical care on me). I would agree that you should keep your IM and Surg knowledge well, and just read an article on pediatric fever.

Q

As a 3rd year med student, I thought I'd chime in that the Emergency Medicine Manual that mrgall mentioned was extremely helpful during my recent EM rotation. It's fairly concise, easy to reference, and still a very worthwhile read when you have some free time. I purchased it and Case Files (they seem to complement each other well) and have been very happy. Case Files is actually "fun" to read through.

Anyone have any opinions about this pocket guide?

6a3871a88da060201032e110.L._SL500_AA300_.gif

or:

41V4IcYBRuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Thanks.