Changing careers to Utilization Management (UM) from EM: a guide + rundown/ramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AlmostAnMD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh hi.

I’m AlmostAnMD. You may remember me from such topics as “POWERHOUSE RESIDENCY” and “Maybe Husel was just really good at palliative care?”

Today I’m here to talk to you about the exciting world of utilization management (UM). I said I’d do this after I left EM but wanted to wait a year for two reasons.

  • Posting about UM with only a month or two of experience isn’t helpful to anyone
  • If I make it a year, that makes it sound like I could actually make it two…or three…or just be done with EM entirely (current plan).
This is going to be a long rant. Do yourself a favor and pour yourself some Weller 12 Year, set aside some time, and discover if leaving EM is for you and if UM is your replacement. If that topic doesn’t interest you at all, then stop reading now since the following will be a waste of your time.



Now your first question is probably a fair one. “AlmostAnMD, if you’re burned out on EM, why not consider doing X instead?” Where X is:

-interventional pain
-EMS fellowship
- urgent care
-telemedicine
-sports medicine
-“administration fellowship”
-peds EM
-toxicology
-surgical critical care
-Newman Anesthesia certificate
-disaster medicine
-ultrasound fellowship
-“do another residency”
-anesthesia critical care
-Newman’s house of propofol
-“go into academics”
-palliative care
-neurocritical care
-undersea and hyperbaric medicine
-“does this smell like propofol to you?”
-addiction medicine
-“own a freestanding”
- ask wife to be more productive
-brain injury medicine
-concierge medicine
-kill self
-cruise ship medicine
-aesthetics certificate/med spa
-geriatrics fellowship
-global health fellowship
-involuntary Newman proceduralist
-Research fellowship
-medical education fellowship
--“work fewer shifts”
-population health fellowship

Those are all great questions, most of which are legal. But instead, I chose UM. But before I explain why I chose UM or explain what I actually DO as a physician advisor in the UM field, I’ll explain why I left EM. I think starting with that a good point because before starting something new you should consider if the old is working for you or not.



For me, it was not. I am one of those folks truly region-locked due to a spouse that I want to stay with and she is an ultra-specialist of her non-medical field. There are literally two places in the country we can be where she can work and every other place she’s effectively a housewife or working well outside of her PhD/bringing in less bank.

And already, you’ve probably found the first hurdle. If you’re the breadwinner taking a risk by leaving steady employment—especially if kids are involved, like my situation—this feels dangerous. Having a working spouse that makes decent money is a great support in case things go sideways. If your spouse doesn’t work, tell him/her to get their ass back to work, because it’s the 21st century and tradwife on your own goddam time because it’s time for your ass to get comfy.

And if you don’t have a spouse or kids then you’ve got nothing to lose anyway, your risks are your own, just run with your gut and GTFO and do whatever makes you happy.

As far as EM goes, I fell into a crappy situation. I was a decent resident/chief. They started showing metrics my third year of residency (to the chagrin of most) and I was like a standard deviation above every other person in my class for pph, which as an attending is a pointless thing to brag about but as a resident it made me feel badass.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I felt generally prepared to be an attending by the time I finished residency. Like any good resident, I sold shifts to junior residents to moonlight and made real money while still in residency. I cannot emphasize the personal and financial value of moonlighting enough. I distinctly remember my first rural, critical access shift. I called @Tenk because I thought I just killed a guy with chest pain because I sent him home.

I mean, he had some benign BS story, mid 40s, days of pain and I held him for two trops. Looking back, wonder why I didn’t do 3 or 4 just to make it last the whole shift. Obviously someone like that now half the time I might not even order labwork depending on how busy I am but whatever. The point is, moonlighting is great for making bank, learning productivity and checking your fear at the door.

I’d say this skill carried well into my attending job. But after a year or so I realized I joined an ASS SDG and it ran the entire city I was in. So I essentially had no choice but to keep working there since the alternative was a one way 90 minute drive. If you’re single that’s great, if you’ve got family/kids, less so. So I basically just made it work.



I won’t try to make this about my EM work, but as a general rule, any of the following is probably a flag when it comes to determining malignancy. In no particular order:

  • A medical director has been medical director longer than I’ve literally been alive (no exaggeration or joke)
  • No vertical movement in the years I was there—no room for advancement/rotation of leadership roles
  • Secret bonuses for medical directors. I don’t know what they were, but our peasant bonus felt weirdly low for seeing insane acuities and patient volumes
  • Weird trend where staffing is fantastic for medical directors but suddenly midlevel/doc coverage drops when directors aren’t working (and pointing this out is apparently not good teamwork)
  • Leadership does not work nights, regardless of age
  • Docs mysteriously disappear off schedule. Frequently. And sometimes never come back. This also includes people that have been here a decade+. Then rumors fly, and none of them are good


I mean honestly this list could be 30 points longer, and I’ve dove into them in separate topics, but it’s really not the point. The main takeaway is it felt like EM wasn’t going to work out. Couldn’t really change groups, couldn’t realistically drive forever and leaving town ruins spouse career.



In 2023, two things happened.

The first was an event at a shift. I saw doc that was late-age—like, should have retired years ago, but I dunno has multiple divorces or something—completely lose his ****. Went nuts on something relatively minor, like a lab error or nurse not doing something. But he was throwing ****, screaming, cursing, even when it was done just muttering under his breath.

I dunno why but for some reason, I looked at him and thought holy ****, that’s going to be me if I don’t get out of here. I mean sure my stocks could take off, we could win the lottery, etc…but at some point you have to actually take control of your destiny, so I made the mental commitment that night to get out.


The second thing was actually a post on here! Someone made a post about doing utilization work, which I didn’t even know existed or what it was, and I exchanged a few PMs about it with him. So I decided that would be my exit.



But, going into it blind without any connection or experience is a steep ask. So I started here:

Peer Review Services

You basically just need a license. They give you some cases to review and they’ll give you some criteria to match it against to approve or deny stuff. (NOTE: this is not at all what I do now! But it’s a CV builder).

For hospital-based stuff, they use MCG. MCG is a “national guideline” (lol, IYKYK) that they ask you to see if specific cases meet specific criteria. This requires no MD or brains at all. In fact, in my current job it’s being replaced with AI and/or UM RNs that manually do these reviews. I have a familiarity now with InterQual and MCG but most med necessity reviews are more holistic than that, so I only use them to check certain things to see what the denial chances are.

The case review stuff sucked. Hard. It paid ass, they wanted fast turnaround times, and the learning curve is a bit steep so if they only offer 80 bucks for a review and it takes you two hours to do it, you start to wonder if it’s worth it.

Long term, probably not. I mean, definitely not. But it’s not a long term thing. I did it for better part of a year to pad my CV as someone with experience in medical necessity, as well as someone with at least a passing understanding of MCG. Looking back, that’s a decent way to do it. The other way, or way to add to your CV, is to get certified here:

Home

Getting your ACPA-C is mandatory for most docs working in utilization, at least physician advisor jobs, which I have.



It’s like a 700 buck test and takes 3 days to go through the modules. It’s a decent course as well, teaches you the basics of 2 midnight rule, DRG vs per diem payors, etc. Prepares you for higher level things than the BS I was doing. Also they have an annual conference where I think they just hand out jobs? So get certified and go to that if desired. They also do the course/certificate live at the conference as well, but then you miss most of the conference.

So a year of experience goes by and I’m just applying for jobs like a mad man. I learned from a guy that also burned out of EM about what kind of jobs to look for. Avoid these:

Home

This, and many like it. If it’s all you can get, do it for a few years to build experience and leave. Just as TH/USUCKS only cares about grinding your meet, these are the UM equivalents. You have no autonomy, no one cares about you, and you’re just handed caseloads to maximize your revenue potential. It’s a remote-work version of EM work, really. Also the pay is ass, the guy told me he made $150,000/yr doing this. Do not do this.

Instead, do what I did.


The “sweet spot” of UM jobs is actually working FT for hospitals/hospital systems. You should start by asking your own utilization department if they are hiring internally. If you work in a hospital or hospital system that has 300+ beds, you definitely, and for sure, have a utilization department. Otherwise your hospital is hemorrhaging so much money it can’t even stay afloat, trust me. This gets into the weeds of UM a bit, but insurance has stepped up their denials game considerably over the last decade and without UM the hospital will shut down. If you’re at a smaller/more “backwards” shop/system, UM will fall under case management.

Just ask their director if they’re hiring for advisor jobs. The case review stuff I mentioned is great for a CV booster, but I know most systems will train their own docs do be advisors, understanding that it’s not something people get exposure to in residency/attendinghood.



In my case, my system has physician advisors. I met with their director, who told me they didn’t have openings or expect them anytime soon. A double-edged sword, really…does your ED have an attending spot open? Of course it does, people are leaving left and right. Turnover is a marker for job satisfaction, and that’s why the ED turnover at my old group was like a revolving door. It’s probably also why the hospital system I left hasn’t hired an advisor in 5 years, for the opposite reason.

But this field is exploding in most places, so systems that are realizing they are losing money to insurance are hiring like crazy:

1761940851298.png


These are all system/non-profit gigs. They pay more, work you less and just care about getting job done than worrying about if you’re actually turning cases every 2 seconds. Hell I have some days I get some decent gym work in, but that’s between printing cold cash and meetings.

This is literally how I found my current job. Saw a nonprofit system level job, took my meager CV to the interviews and knocked it out every level of interview.



Gonna divide the last section up between what being a physician advisor actually is and what I, specifically, do. Since I’m diverging considerably from the normal PA route.

First, the thing you probably care about most—pay. Honesty, I can’t tell you much here for two reasons. Firstly, “salary data” is what I got from google. Per google, the average physician advisor makes 204k/yr. But it also says “top earners” make over 280K and I’m considerably north of that, on the bellcurve at top 99% of advisors. So my experience could be unique, my boss might not understand I’m overpaid, or the salary data I saw is grossly outdated or doesn’t factor in part-timers (there are a LOT of part-time advisors, FT is more rare, understandably, as people are reticent to actually hang up their stethoscope).



I’m FT. 40 hours a week, M-F, 8a-4p, full remote. No weekend or night work. Anything that happens outside those hours will get handled during next business day.

Also I get a month of paid vacation a year, which is sweet, compared to my old SDG that just “scheduled around” your vacation request. IE, if you work 18 shifts/month, a two week vacation to Europe requires you to work those shifts around your vacation. As you can guess, even bridging between months, that’s just not an ideal situation. So I ****ing love my vacation time. Another life change is paternity leave

Child A—born while working at SDG—schedule around induction date, hope she doesn’t go early because of the calloff headache, get 4 shifts off in a row for hospital then go back to work

Child B—3 weeks paid paternity leave. I didn’t even bring it up, actually. I told my boss the wife was pregnant and immediately he was like, “YOU NEED TO FILE FOR YOUR PATERNITY LEAVE!” So, cool. Absence can actually be supported.

Which entices YOU more? Lol



Other than that, the bennies are pretty much the same bells/whistles of medical/vision/dental/401K etc. So enough about bennies, the next part of this writeup is a breakdown of the actual work itself.



At a smaller system/single hospital you might do all 3, but at a larger system (mine) you will generally do one of three tracks: patient flow, CDI, denials.


CDI is clinical documentation integrity. Honestly this isn’t my track, but I have minimal training in the area and can generally describe it. This involves coding denials or clinical validity denials—ie, was the patient truly septic? If not, expect a downgrade. Was the data just not captured well? Then expect a downgrade. Data not being captured well can cause the same thing, but advisors can step in and argue these charts to preserve the original coding. There’s also a lot of system-level work these people related to charting templates to minimize clickbox hell but also maximize billing. This work is done by people that also understand clicking isn’t fun, but it’s a part of medicine.

Again, I can’t tell you a WHOLE lot about CDI since it’s not the “track” I went with.



Next is patient flow. I fill this roll occasionally for the system when the usual suspects can’t.

Responsibilities
  • ED management. Ever wonder why beds are held, some patients go upstairs first, some patients stay for discharge? Or what about patients just transferring out rather than getting admitted?
  • If you don’t have an efficient system that doesn’t happen, or nurses run it, which is worse. Basically I’ll divert patients away from tertiary facilities that just need community resources (lobar PNA, COPD tx, etc) to keep flagships open for business for specialty care. It sometimes flows in reverse when flagships are weirdly more open than communities. The goal is just to maximize bed availability of all hospitals and increase throughput, not favoritism or site/specialty requests.
  • Status management of the ED
Upstairs is managed by a different team. Patient flow guy will determine status of ED patients. There are UM RNs that will do obvious cases meeting clear criteria, they just come to you for unclear dispositions/medically complex stuff



Literal patient flow

Why isn’t someone discharging? Not the usual social work BS, but medical issues delaying care, teams that are just sitting on patients for days and not doing anything, etc.



Other hospital committee stuff as needed

UM committee work, other committee work, I don’t know much about these because I don’t do these either. But this is where larger policy/system changes can take place.



That’s an oversimplification of CDI/flow, because I don’t do much of these, honestly.


My forte is denials.



I mostly love denials because it gives me a chance to see how healthcare actually works. I know a lot about medicine, but healthcare and medicine could not be less related. To be good at inpatient authorization denials you really should know federal and states laws well, so it turns you into a policy dork.

Of course, medical directors I talk to on peer-to-peers don’t know or care about laws, as I’ve found, so I get to work “with” the system to help overhaul things at the state level to prevent fraud and abuse from payors. This involves extensive projects related to reducing the denials work we do.



One person that we consulted with said denials are like stormtroopers. Working on denials, you can overturn them, but there’s always more stormtroopers. Always. The real trick is to go after the sithlords that send the stormtroopers. So that’s about 50% of my work now, being a jedi to go after sithlords.



So, this is where I divorce a bit from the usual PA denials role. I still do routine peer-to-peer medical necessity denials, but I’ve gone pretty far with the policy stuff, so specific that if I mention the work I largely out myself here but I’ll just say this work does what I wasn’t able to do in the ED: make a difference.


I’ve been able to literally reduce denials from even coming in by directly confronting insurance C-suite leaders with the laws they are breaking. A smaller single hospital probably can’t do that but we’re such a revenue stream we can actually make these threats (backed by lawyers, eternally nervous of litigation if I misspeak). Ultimately, I’m just holding the payors to the law, which requires a lot of familiarity with the law. So if you like details or projects this is a fun route to go.


Myself, I burned out in the ED. Bad. Clock-in-clock out is a mentality that is absolutely valid, but I decided I want my life to actually mean something in a bigger picture. I’m finding I can have lasting impacts working with regulatory agencies to curb fraudulent claim denials—not just individual claims, but making impacts that change how claims are processed/reducing denials/decreasing payor fraud. At the end of the day, it’s deeply rewarding work.


The thing I miss most about ED work is the time off and the pay. But with a recent promotion (this gets a little too specific for public posting, PM for details if you really care but honestly it’s not worth really going into detail anyway) I’m essentially paid the same as the full-time ED doc I was, so that’s essentially nullified.



The time off though isn’t even that big a deal either. ED work is….WORK. At least mine was, I was drowning at times. This work is more like doing 15 hours of “intense” work over 40 hours. Like I said, time to take wife out to lunch, do some kid stuff, get some exercise, etc….it’s not 40 hours of constant ass-in-chair.



I think the other element worth mentioning here is respect. I’ve mentioned this in detail in other topics, but it’s worth repeating again—you are nobody in the ED. Literally a replaceable husk of a human wearing a stethoscope, easily swapped out by someone else.



I’ve developed an ultra-specialized knowledge base (I’m a voracious reader) and I have a high capacity for legal review/policy work. So that’s allowed me to serve as an expert consultant across this multi-state system on key cases or be the “go-to” guy for a lot of specific nuances.

The difference between how I’m treated now vs as an ED doc is night-and-day. To be fair, and I’ve said this before, I didn’t go into medicine so people could sniff my farts and feel joy, but constantly being blamed/dumped on/people throwing semen at me (happened a few times)/consultants yelling at me weren’t worth 400k/yr. No thanks. I guess you can call me a diva for that but not being reminded I’m a worthless **** constantly just got to me after a while.



It actually took a loooong time coordinating denials overturned for specialists to realize the script flipped dramatically. Solid organ transplant docs are incredibly humble when they find out you’re the guy that can get things auth’d, etc. They can’t flex their badass skills if they aren’t allowed to use them!



The work-life balance is an infinite improvement. I’m rarely up past 10p now. I love to make dinner with the kids, training them to be little chefs. I’m home for dinner every day since my work doesn’t leave lol. If I need to call off for any reason it’s not a big deal, we schedule light enough that cross-coverage isn’t stressful to fill another role. I have every weekend free forever.


No malpractice insurance since I can’t (easily) kill anyone. So, fear of lawsuits is gone. My notations I leave are in a separate part of epic not discoverable, too. If you’ve wondered why you don’t see EPIC notes from advisors, that’s because ours are hidden and visible only to UM RNs. My understanding is this is fairly universal with robust programs.


As far as the future of the field goes, it has a role for AI but for now I see that only increasing efficiency. As long as payors are going to try to break the law—forever—an AI program isn’t likely to replace us. I used to hate committee work/meetings, but in a more productive environment that’s honestly just how you get things done/make changes. If a payor is breaking a law/doing a type of denial, you can complain about it, or gather the right people, schedule a meeting, talk to the lawyers, file the appeals, the CMS complaints, etc…make a difference. Stop it from happening.



Finally, I’ll close with the professional organizations. One of my biggest “jading factors” was ACEP. What a criminal cartel of a waste of dollars. It’s a snake that starts at ED docs at the head and ends with CMGs at the tail. The only thing they care about is reimbursement because that’s the CMG priority. Not safe staffing ratios. Not protecting ED docs. Not residency expansion. The motive of ACEP is clear, and anyone giving any dollars to them for any reason is equally guilty for the decline of this specialty. At least try AAEM, that was my professional org until I left EM. AAEM is the crazy uncle that we won’t realize was right all along with the conspiracy theories until it was too late.

ACPA has an amazing conference, NPAC. Yeah there’s the usual boozefest but the actual meeting is built to find ways for systems to fight denials. This year there were some amazing talks that transformed how we operate as a system. With all that I’ve learned, excited to see next year’s work. A lot of these talks are from people that are just trying various ways to annoy insurers into following the rules, or discovering obscure rules to make stuff work.

I honestly can’t remember a single ACEP talk I ever went to. It was mostly garbage/self-aggrandizing circle jerks. I remember half the talks I saw earlier this year since so many directly impacted what we are doing in an evolving field.





I’m refusing to proof-read any of this because it’s too long. It’s possible cat walked across keyboard at some point, sorry. Open to specific questions for the one or two people with enough attention span to read.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh hi.

I’m AlmostAnMD. You may remember me from such topics as “POWERHOUSE RESIDENCY” and “Maybe Husel was just really good at palliative care?”

Today I’m here to talk to you about the exciting world of utilization management (UM). I said I’d do this after I left EM but wanted to wait a year for two reasons.

  • Posting about UM with only a month or two of experience isn’t helpful to anyone
  • If I make it a year, that makes it sound like I could actually make it two…or three…or just be done with EM entirely (current plan).
This is going to be a long rant. Do yourself a favor and pour yourself some Weller 12 Year, set aside some time, and discover if leaving EM is for you and if UM is your replacement. If that topic doesn’t interest you at all, then stop reading now since the following will be a waste of your time.



Now your first question is probably a fair one. “AlmostAnMD, if you’re burned out on EM, why not consider doing X instead?” Where X is:

-interventional pain
-EMS fellowship
- urgent care
-telemedicine
-sports medicine
-“administration fellowship”
-peds EM
-toxicology
-surgical critical care
-Newman Anesthesia certificate
-disaster medicine
-ultrasound fellowship
-“do another residency”
-anesthesia critical care
-Newman’s house of propofol
-“go into academics”
-palliative care
-neurocritical care
-undersea and hyperbaric medicine
-“does this smell like propofol to you?”
-addiction medicine
-“own a freestanding”
- ask wife to be more productive
-brain injury medicine
-concierge medicine
-kill self
-cruise ship medicine
-aesthetics certificate/med spa
-geriatrics fellowship
-global health fellowship
-involuntary Newman proceduralist
-Research fellowship
-medical education fellowship
--“work fewer shifts”
-population health fellowship

Those are all great questions, most of which are legal. But instead, I chose UM. But before I explain why I chose UM or explain what I actually DO as a physician advisor in the UM field, I’ll explain why I left EM. I think starting with that a good point because before starting something new you should consider if the old is working for you or not.



For me, it was not. I am one of those folks truly region-locked due to a spouse that I want to stay with and she is an ultra-specialist of her non-medical field. There are literally two places in the country we can be where she can work and every other place she’s effectively a housewife or working well outside of her PhD/bringing in less bank.

And already, you’ve probably found the first hurdle. If you’re the breadwinner taking a risk by leaving steady employment—especially if kids are involved, like my situation—this feels dangerous. Having a working spouse that makes decent money is a great support in case things go sideways. If your spouse doesn’t work, tell him/her to get their ass back to work, because it’s the 21st century and tradwife on your own goddam time because it’s time for your ass to get comfy.

And if you don’t have a spouse or kids then you’ve got nothing to lose anyway, your risks are your own, just run with your gut and GTFO and do whatever makes you happy.

As far as EM goes, I fell into a crappy situation. I was a decent resident/chief. They started showing metrics my third year of residency (to the chagrin of most) and I was like a standard deviation above every other person in my class for pph, which as an attending is a pointless thing to brag about but as a resident it made me feel badass.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I felt generally prepared to be an attending by the time I finished residency. Like any good resident, I sold shifts to junior residents to moonlight and made real money while still in residency. I cannot emphasize the personal and financial value of moonlighting enough. I distinctly remember my first rural, critical access shift. I called @Tenk because I thought I just killed a guy with chest pain because I sent him home.

I mean, he had some benign BS story, mid 40s, days of pain and I held him for two trops. Looking back, wonder why I didn’t do 3 or 4 just to make it last the whole shift. Obviously someone like that now half the time I might not even order labwork depending on how busy I am but whatever. The point is, moonlighting is great for making bank, learning productivity and checking your fear at the door.

I’d say this skill carried well into my attending job. But after a year or so I realized I joined an ASS SDG and it ran the entire city I was in. So I essentially had no choice but to keep working there since the alternative was a one way 90 minute drive. If you’re single that’s great, if you’ve got family/kids, less so. So I basically just made it work.



I won’t try to make this about my EM work, but as a general rule, any of the following is probably a flag when it comes to determining malignancy. In no particular order:

  • A medical director has been medical director longer than I’ve literally been alive (no exaggeration or joke)
  • No vertical movement in the years I was there—no room for advancement/rotation of leadership roles
  • Secret bonuses for medical directors. I don’t know what they were, but our peasant bonus felt weirdly low for seeing insane acuities and patient volumes
  • Weird trend where staffing is fantastic for medical directors but suddenly midlevel/doc coverage drops when directors aren’t working (and pointing this out is apparently not good teamwork)
  • Leadership does not work nights, regardless of age
  • Docs mysteriously disappear off schedule. Frequently. And sometimes never come back. This also includes people that have been here a decade+. Then rumors fly, and none of them are good


I mean honestly this list could be 30 points longer, and I’ve dove into them in separate topics, but it’s really not the point. The main takeaway is it felt like EM wasn’t going to work out. Couldn’t really change groups, couldn’t realistically drive forever and leaving town ruins spouse career.



In 2023, two things happened.

The first was an event at a shift. I saw doc that was late-age—like, should have retired years ago, but I dunno has multiple divorces or something—completely lose his ****. Went nuts on something relatively minor, like a lab error or nurse not doing something. But he was throwing ****, screaming, cursing, even when it was done just muttering under his breath.

I dunno why but for some reason, I looked at him and thought holy ****, that’s going to be me if I don’t get out of here. I mean sure my stocks could take off, we could win the lottery, etc…but at some point you have to actually take control of your destiny, so I made the mental commitment that night to get out.


The second thing was actually a post on here! Someone made a post about doing utilization work, which I didn’t even know existed or what it was, and I exchanged a few PMs about it with him. So I decided that would be my exit.



But, going into it blind without any connection or experience is a steep ask. So I started here:

Peer Review Services

You basically just need a license. They give you some cases to review and they’ll give you some criteria to match it against to approve or deny stuff. (NOTE: this is not at all what I do now! But it’s a CV builder).

For hospital-based stuff, they use MCG. MCG is a “national guideline” (lol, IYKYK) that they ask you to see if specific cases meet specific criteria. This requires no MD or brains at all. In fact, in my current job it’s being replaced with AI and/or UM RNs that manually do these reviews. I have a familiarity now with InterQual and MCG but most med necessity reviews are more holistic than that, so I only use them to check certain things to see what the denial chances are.

The case review stuff sucked. Hard. It paid ass, they wanted fast turnaround times, and the learning curve is a bit steep so if they only offer 80 bucks for a review and it takes you two hours to do it, you start to wonder if it’s worth it.

Long term, probably not. I mean, definitely not. But it’s not a long term thing. I did it for better part of a year to pad my CV as someone with experience in medical necessity, as well as someone with at least a passing understanding of MCG. Looking back, that’s a decent way to do it. The other way, or way to add to your CV, is to get certified here:

Home

Getting your ACPA-C is mandatory for most docs working in utilization, at least physician advisor jobs, which I have.



It’s like a 700 buck test and takes 3 days to go through the modules. It’s a decent course as well, teaches you the basics of 2 midnight rule, DRG vs per diem payors, etc. Prepares you for higher level things than the BS I was doing. Also they have an annual conference where I think they just hand out jobs? So get certified and go to that if desired. They also do the course/certificate live at the conference as well, but then you miss most of the conference.

So a year of experience goes by and I’m just applying for jobs like a mad man. I learned from a guy that also burned out of EM about what kind of jobs to look for. Avoid these:

Home

This, and many like it. If it’s all you can get, do it for a few years to build experience and leave. Just as TH/USUCKS only cares about grinding your meet, these are the UM equivalents. You have no autonomy, no one cares about you, and you’re just handed caseloads to maximize your revenue potential. It’s a remote-work version of EM work, really. Also the pay is ass, the guy told me he made $150,000/yr doing this. Do not do this.

Instead, do what I did.


The “sweet spot” of UM jobs is actually working FT for hospitals/hospital systems. You should start by asking your own utilization department if they are hiring internally. If you work in a hospital or hospital system that has 300+ beds, you definitely, and for sure, have a utilization department. Otherwise your hospital is hemorrhaging so much money it can’t even stay afloat, trust me. This gets into the weeds of UM a bit, but insurance has stepped up their denials game considerably over the last decade and without UM the hospital will shut down. If you’re at a smaller/more “backwards” shop/system, UM will fall under case management.

Just ask their director if they’re hiring for advisor jobs. The case review stuff I mentioned is great for a CV booster, but I know most systems will train their own docs do be advisors, understanding that it’s not something people get exposure to in residency/attendinghood.



In my case, my system has physician advisors. I met with their director, who told me they didn’t have openings or expect them anytime soon. A double-edged sword, really…does your ED have an attending spot open? Of course it does, people are leaving left and right. Turnover is a marker for job satisfaction, and that’s why the ED turnover at my old group was like a revolving door. It’s probably also why the hospital system I left hasn’t hired an advisor in 5 years, for the opposite reason.

But this field is exploding in most places, so systems that are realizing they are losing money to insurance are hiring like crazy:

View attachment 411146

These are all system/non-profit gigs. They pay more, work you less and just care about getting job done than worrying about if you’re actually turning cases every 2 seconds. Hell I have some days I get some decent gym work in, but that’s between printing cold cash and meetings.

This is literally how I found my current job. Saw a nonprofit system level job, took my meager CV to the interviews and knocked it out every level of interview.



Gonna divide the last section up between what being a physician advisor actually is and what I, specifically, do. Since I’m diverging considerably from the normal PA route.

First, the thing you probably care about most—pay. Honesty, I can’t tell you much here for two reasons. Firstly, “salary data” is what I got from google. Per google, the average physician advisor makes 204k/yr. But it also says “top earners” make over 280K and I’m considerably north of that, on the bellcurve at top 99% of advisors. So my experience could be unique, my boss might not understand I’m overpaid, or the salary data I saw is grossly outdated or doesn’t factor in part-timers (there are a LOT of part-time advisors, FT is more rare, understandably, as people are reticent to actually hang up their stethoscope).



I’m FT. 40 hours a week, M-F, 8a-4p, full remote. No weekend or night work. Anything that happens outside those hours will get handled during next business day.

Also I get a month of paid vacation a year, which is sweet, compared to my old SDG that just “scheduled around” your vacation request. IE, if you work 18 shifts/month, a two week vacation to Europe requires you to work those shifts around your vacation. As you can guess, even bridging between months, that’s just not an ideal situation. So I ****ing love my vacation time. Another life change is paternity leave

Child A—born while working at SDG—schedule around induction date, hope she doesn’t go early because of the calloff headache, get 4 shifts off in a row for hospital then go back to work

Child B—3 weeks paid paternity leave. I didn’t even bring it up, actually. I told my boss the wife was pregnant and immediately he was like, “YOU NEED TO FILE FOR YOUR PATERNITY LEAVE!” So, cool. Absence can actually be supported.

Which entices YOU more? Lol



Other than that, the bennies are pretty much the same bells/whistles of medical/vision/dental/401K etc. So enough about bennies, the next part of this writeup is a breakdown of the actual work itself.



At a smaller system/single hospital you might do all 3, but at a larger system (mine) you will generally do one of three tracks: patient flow, CDI, denials.


CDI is clinical documentation integrity. Honestly this isn’t my track, but I have minimal training in the area and can generally describe it. This involves coding denials or clinical validity denials—ie, was the patient truly septic? If not, expect a downgrade. Was the data just not captured well? Then expect a downgrade. Data not being captured well can cause the same thing, but advisors can step in and argue these charts to preserve the original coding. There’s also a lot of system-level work these people related to charting templates to minimize clickbox hell but also maximize billing. This work is done by people that also understand clicking isn’t fun, but it’s a part of medicine.

Again, I can’t tell you a WHOLE lot about CDI since it’s not the “track” I went with.



Next is patient flow. I fill this roll occasionally for the system when the usual suspects can’t.

Responsibilities
  • ED management. Ever wonder why beds are held, some patients go upstairs first, some patients stay for discharge? Or what about patients just transferring out rather than getting admitted?
  • If you don’t have an efficient system that doesn’t happen, or nurses run it, which is worse. Basically I’ll divert patients away from tertiary facilities that just need community resources (lobar PNA, COPD tx, etc) to keep flagships open for business for specialty care. It sometimes flows in reverse when flagships are weirdly more open than communities. The goal is just to maximize bed availability of all hospitals and increase throughput, not favoritism or site/specialty requests.
  • Status management of the ED
Upstairs is managed by a different team. Patient flow guy will determine status of ED patients. There are UM RNs that will do obvious cases meeting clear criteria, they just come to you for unclear dispositions/medically complex stuff



Literal patient flow

Why isn’t someone discharging? Not the usual social work BS, but medical issues delaying care, teams that are just sitting on patients for days and not doing anything, etc.



Other hospital committee stuff as needed

UM committee work, other committee work, I don’t know much about these because I don’t do these either. But this is where larger policy/system changes can take place.



That’s an oversimplification of CDI/flow, because I don’t do much of these, honestly.


My forte is denials.



I mostly love denials because it gives me a chance to see how healthcare actually works. I know a lot about medicine, but healthcare and medicine could not be less related. To be good at inpatient authorization denials you really should know federal and states laws well, so it turns you into a policy dork.

Of course, medical directors I talk to on peer-to-peers don’t know or care about laws, as I’ve found, so I get to work “with” the system to help overhaul things at the state level to prevent fraud and abuse from payors. This involves extensive projects related to reducing the denials work we do.



One person that we consulted with said denials are like stormtroopers. Working on denials, you can overturn them, but there’s always more stormtroopers. Always. The real trick is to go after the sithlords that send the stormtroopers. So that’s about 50% of my work now, being a jedi to go after sithlords.



So, this is where I divorce a bit from the usual PA denials role. I still do routine peer-to-peer medical necessity denials, but I’ve gone pretty far with the policy stuff, so specific that if I mention the work I largely out myself here but I’ll just say this work does what I wasn’t able to do in the ED: make a difference.


I’ve been able to literally reduce denials from even coming in by directly confronting insurance C-suite leaders with the laws they are breaking. A smaller single hospital probably can’t do that but we’re such a revenue stream we can actually make these threats (backed by lawyers, eternally nervous of litigation if I misspeak). Ultimately, I’m just holding the payors to the law, which requires a lot of familiarity with the law. So if you like details or projects this is a fun route to go.


Myself, I burned out in the ED. Bad. Clock-in-clock out is a mentality that is absolutely valid, but I decided I want my life to actually mean something in a bigger picture. I’m finding I can have lasting impacts working with regulatory agencies to curb fraudulent claim denials—not just individual claims, but making impacts that change how claims are processed/reducing denials/decreasing payor fraud. At the end of the day, it’s deeply rewarding work.


The thing I miss most about ED work is the time off and the pay. But with a recent promotion (this gets a little too specific for public posting, PM for details if you really care but honestly it’s not worth really going into detail anyway) I’m essentially paid the same as the full-time ED doc I was, so that’s essentially nullified.



The time off though isn’t even that big a deal either. ED work is….WORK. At least mine was, I was drowning at times. This work is more like doing 15 hours of “intense” work over 40 hours. Like I said, time to take wife out to lunch, do some kid stuff, get some exercise, etc….it’s not 40 hours of constant ass-in-chair.



I think the other element worth mentioning here is respect. I’ve mentioned this in detail in other topics, but it’s worth repeating again—you are nobody in the ED. Literally a replaceable husk of a human wearing a stethoscope, easily swapped out by someone else.



I’ve developed an ultra-specialized knowledge base (I’m a voracious reader) and I have a high capacity for legal review/policy work. So that’s allowed me to serve as an expert consultant across this multi-state system on key cases or be the “go-to” guy for a lot of specific nuances.

The difference between how I’m treated now vs as an ED doc is night-and-day. To be fair, and I’ve said this before, I didn’t go into medicine so people could sniff my farts and feel joy, but constantly being blamed/dumped on/people throwing semen at me (happened a few times)/consultants yelling at me weren’t worth 400k/yr. No thanks. I guess you can call me a diva for that but not being reminded I’m a worthless **** constantly just got to me after a while.



It actually took a loooong time coordinating denials overturned for specialists to realize the script flipped dramatically. Solid organ transplant docs are incredibly humble when they find out you’re the guy that can get things auth’d, etc. They can’t flex their badass skills if they aren’t allowed to use them!



The work-life balance is an infinite improvement. I’m rarely up past 10p now. I love to make dinner with the kids, training them to be little chefs. I’m home for dinner every day since my work doesn’t leave lol. If I need to call off for any reason it’s not a big deal, we schedule light enough that cross-coverage isn’t stressful to fill another role. I have every weekend free forever.


No malpractice insurance since I can’t (easily) kill anyone. So, fear of lawsuits is gone. My notations I leave are in a separate part of epic not discoverable, too. If you’ve wondered why you don’t see EPIC notes from advisors, that’s because ours are hidden and visible only to UM RNs. My understanding is this is fairly universal with robust programs.


As far as the future of the field goes, it has a role for AI but for now I see that only increasing efficiency. As long as payors are going to try to break the law—forever—an AI program isn’t likely to replace us. I used to hate committee work/meetings, but in a more productive environment that’s honestly just how you get things done/make changes. If a payor is breaking a law/doing a type of denial, you can complain about it, or gather the right people, schedule a meeting, talk to the lawyers, file the appeals, the CMS complaints, etc…make a difference. Stop it from happening.



Finally, I’ll close with the professional organizations. One of my biggest “jading factors” was ACEP. What a criminal cartel of a waste of dollars. It’s a snake that starts at ED docs at the head and ends with CMGs at the tail. The only thing they care about is reimbursement because that’s the CMG priority. Not safe staffing ratios. Not protecting ED docs. Not residency expansion. The motive of ACEP is clear, and anyone giving any dollars to them for any reason is equally guilty for the decline of this specialty. At least try AAEM, that was my professional org until I left EM. AAEM is the crazy uncle that we won’t realize was right all along with the conspiracy theories until it was too late.

ACPA has an amazing conference, NPAC. Yeah there’s the usual boozefest but the actual meeting is built to find ways for systems to fight denials. This year there were some amazing talks that transformed how we operate as a system. With all that I’ve learned, excited to see next year’s work. A lot of these talks are from people that are just trying various ways to annoy insurers into following the rules, or discovering obscure rules to make stuff work.

I honestly can’t remember a single ACEP talk I ever went to. It was mostly garbage/self-aggrandizing circle jerks. I remember half the talks I saw earlier this year since so many directly impacted what we are doing in an evolving field.





I’m refusing to proof-read any of this because it’s too long. It’s possible cat walked across keyboard at some point, sorry. Open to specific questions for the one or two people with enough attention span to read.
Great post and info. I’m sure people will make good use of it. Can you discuss pay. Even in generality ? I know some advisors. The pay isn’t on par with em jobs.
 
I personally know three EPs who have jumped full time into physician advisor roles on the insurance side. UNH has been paying $300k/year for 25-30 hours/week of full time work plus benefits. Initially, and likely still, I felt like it’s working for the dark side. One of them though told me about some of the incredibly shady things some hospitals do in billing insurance for questionable prolonged admissions. They all have also reported that they typically rubber stamp approve most insurance claims and haven’t received pressure to deny. That doesn’t change my opinion of UNH. It does open my eyes to the fact that the system is just a mess. They said after working in their role for a while that the entire system and our country would save a boatload of money if the army of people working on both the insurance side and the hospital side, meaning including themselves, completely went away and we also just played a flat rate for hospital admission nixing inpatient and observation status. Take from that what you will. I do minor, part time UM work, not to the degree above (certainly don’t consider myself an expert in this area), but I agree. That being said, sadly the system isn’t going away any time soon. My personal interests aren’t policy, but perhaps those that do have that interest can fight for true, meaningful change. Luckily, I personally found a very good SDG and system to work for. It hurts me to hear about when some individuals’ greed locally ruins what’s in my opinion the best model for our field.
100%
 
I personally know three EPs who have jumped full time into physician advisor roles on the insurance side. UNH has been paying $300k/year for 25-30 hours/week of full time work plus benefits. Initially, and likely still, I felt like it’s working for the dark side. One of them though told me about some of the incredibly shady things some hospitals do in billing insurance for questionable prolonged admissions. They all have also reported that they typically rubber stamp approve most insurance claims and haven’t received pressure to deny. That doesn’t change my opinion of UNH. It does open my eyes to the fact that the system is just a mess. They said after working in their role for a while that the entire system and our country would save a boatload of money if the army of people working on both the insurance side and the hospital side, meaning including themselves, completely went away and we also just played a flat rate for hospital admission nixing inpatient and observation status. Take from that what you will. I do minor, part time UM work, not to the degree above (certainly don’t consider myself an expert in this area), but I agree. That being said, sadly the system isn’t going away any time soon. My personal interests aren’t policy, but perhaps those that do have that interest can fight for true, meaningful change. Luckily, I personally found a very good SDG and system to work for. It hurts me to hear about when some individuals’ greed locally ruins what’s in my opinion the best model for our field.
I think that's one of the bigger issues. Hospitals and insurance companies are both trying to get one over on the other and all it does it just create administrative bloat and cost the system even more money. Flat rate for an admission to the hospital and have different rates for med/surg, telemetry, ICU. Do something like that across the board and you've saved a ton of money and everyone will be happier.
 
Great post and info. I’m sure people will make good use of it. Can you discuss pay. Even in generality ? I know some advisors. The pay isn’t on par with em jobs.



I think that was covered somewhere in that wall of text



I personally know three EPs who have jumped full time into physician advisor roles on the insurance side. UNH has been paying $300k/year for 25-30 hours/week of full time work plus benefits. Initially, and likely still, I felt like it’s working for the dark side. One of them though told me about some of the incredibly shady things some hospitals do in billing insurance for questionable prolonged admissions. They all have also reported that they typically rubber stamp approve most insurance claims and haven’t received pressure to deny. That doesn’t change my opinion of UNH. It does open my eyes to the fact that the system is just a mess. They said after working in their role for a while that the entire system and our country would save a boatload of money if the army of people working on both the insurance side and the hospital side, meaning including themselves, completely went away and we also just played a flat rate for hospital admission nixing inpatient and observation status. Take from that what you will. I do minor, part time UM work, not to the degree above (certainly don’t consider myself an expert in this area), but I agree. That being said, sadly the system isn’t going away any time soon. My personal interests aren’t policy, but perhaps those that do have that interest can fight for true, meaningful change. Luckily, I personally found a very good SDG and system to work for. It hurts me to hear about when some individuals’ greed locally ruins what’s in my opinion the best model for our field.



Lots to break down here.



Unmentioned but true, advising is now a prerequisite for insurance director work. I could easily jump ship if I wanted to, but as you said ethically it's untenable to me.



300 is actually on the lower end of what I've heard, I hear closer to 500 but bonuses might not be factored in your numbers.



I also hear mixed things about "pressure to deny." All I can tell you is this



Some directors I talk to I'm like, this guy still had pain in his legs, it's documented as no change in induration, and he got another day of iv abx. And the director is like oh, okay, I didn't see that/get those records/etc, I'll overturn. These are easy.



Some clearly do the work for the love of the game. They argue, they make **** up, they make laws up, make up policy, tell me "they can't overturn", they "need to do what MCG says", etc.



I light those ****ers up now. I'm our system's attack dog.



Here's a case from earlier this week and what I'm going to do about it



25 yo 2nd trimester pregnancy got an abdominal cerclage. The cpt for this is inpatient only procedure code.



I tell the director, look, cms says this is inpatient only. You can't deny the auth for obs. Also your OWN COMPANY POLICY says all IPOP procedure codes are required to be reimbursed as IP.



Director tells me, we'll, my reviewer is an ob that signed off on this, and she thinks its OP



A circular argument ensues as I again remind him of state law and company policy. This isn't a goddam debate he's just being an dingus.



So he upholds the denial



Most systems stop there and just do a hail Mary appeal that also gets ignored. I rake the ****ers over the coals. Monday I'm emailing the CMO (they do not like talking to me) and threaten to escalate to my contact in the health department: overturn this or I will drag your ass down.



I also don't hesitate to annoy c-suite of insurance companies. Drag their ass to a state fair hearing or take them to admin law judge. If i identify a case as IP I grab on and don't let go. Some of these take months to resolve but I refuse to lose--and I don't.





As far as what you said about nixing obs vs IP....yes! I've had the same thought. But too many parties, all on the insurer side, want a tiered system. This is so they can exploit ambiguity and take money from hosptials.



I don't inappropriately status anything. There is an insane amount of fraud going on, and at our system it's all on the payor side.



For all the **** people give a single payor system, medicare actually works well compared to managed Medicare (Medicare advantage).



Glad your sdg works. Mine doesn't, as I said. But I'm a highly adaptable guy so I'm obviously making the most of the situation.



Around 15 people from my old group have contacted me for a spot here. Its quite bad.
 
Great post and info. I’m sure people will make good use of it. Can you discuss pay. Even in generality ? I know some advisors. The pay isn’t on par with em jobs.



I think that was covered somewhere in that wall of text



I personally know three EPs who have jumped full time into physician advisor roles on the insurance side. UNH has been paying $300k/year for 25-30 hours/week of full time work plus benefits. Initially, and likely still, I felt like it’s working for the dark side. One of them though told me about some of the incredibly shady things some hospitals do in billing insurance for questionable prolonged admissions. They all have also reported that they typically rubber stamp approve most insurance claims and haven’t received pressure to deny. That doesn’t change my opinion of UNH. It does open my eyes to the fact that the system is just a mess. They said after working in their role for a while that the entire system and our country would save a boatload of money if the army of people working on both the insurance side and the hospital side, meaning including themselves, completely went away and we also just played a flat rate for hospital admission nixing inpatient and observation status. Take from that what you will. I do minor, part time UM work, not to the degree above (certainly don’t consider myself an expert in this area), but I agree. That being said, sadly the system isn’t going away any time soon. My personal interests aren’t policy, but perhaps those that do have that interest can fight for true, meaningful change. Luckily, I personally found a very good SDG and system to work for. It hurts me to hear about when some individuals’ greed locally ruins what’s in my opinion the best model for our field.



Lots to break down here.



Unmentioned but true, advising is now a prerequisite for insurance director work. I could easily jump ship if I wanted to, but as you said ethically it's untenable to me.



300 is actually on the lower end of what I've heard, I hear closer to 500 but bonuses might not be factored in your numbers.



I also hear mixed things about "pressure to deny." All I can tell you is this



Some directors I talk to I'm like, this guy still had pain in his legs, it's documented as no change in induration, and he got another day of iv abx. And the director is like oh, okay, I didn't see that/get those records/etc, I'll overturn. These are easy.



Some clearly do the work for the love of the game. They argue, they make **** up, they make laws up, make up policy, tell me "they can't overturn", they "need to do what MCG says", etc.



I light those ****ers up now. I'm our system's attack dog.



Here's a case from earlier this week and what I'm going to do about it



25 yo 2nd trimester pregnancy got an abdominal cerclage. The cpt for this is inpatient only procedure code.



I tell the director, look, cms says this is inpatient only. You can't deny the auth for obs. Also your OWN COMPANY POLICY says all IPOP procedure codes are required to be reimbursed as IP.



Director tells me, we'll, my reviewer is an ob that signed off on this, and she thinks its OP



A circular argument ensues as I again remind him of state law and company policy. This isn't a goddam debate he's just being an dingus.



So he upholds the denial



Most systems stop there and just do a hail Mary appeal that also gets ignored. I rake the ****ers over the coals. Monday I'm emailing the CMO (they do not like talking to me) and threaten to escalate to my contact in the health department: overturn this or I will drag your ass down.



I also don't hesitate to annoy c-suite of insurance companies. Drag their ass to a state fair hearing or take them to admin law judge. If i identify a case as IP I grab on and don't let go. Some of these take months to resolve but I refuse to lose--and I don't.





As far as what you said about nixing obs vs IP....yes! I've had the same thought. But too many parties, all on the insurer side, want a tiered system. This is so they can exploit ambiguity and take money from hosptials.



I don't inappropriately status anything. There is an insane amount of fraud going on, and at our system it's all on the payor side.



For all the **** people give a single payor system, medicare actually works well compared to managed Medicare (Medicare advantage).



Glad your sdg works. Mine doesn't, as I said. But I'm a highly adaptable guy so I'm obviously making the most of the situation.



Around 15 people from my old group have contacted me for a spot here. Its quite bad.
 
I'm posting from my phone and put my entire response inside your quote. Somehow. I don't know how to fix that lol

@EctopicFetus I tried to respond, I tried....lol
 
I can't read all that, I had to ask AI to summarize.

AlmostAnMD's Journey: Ditching EM for Utilization Management (UM)


Why I Left Emergency Medicine (EM):
Burned out in a toxic, monopoly SDG with red flags (ancient leadership, no advancement, shady bonuses, high turnover). Region-locked by spouse’s career + family made switching groups or relocating impossible. A veteran doc’s meltdown was the final straw—I vowed to escape.


Why Not Other EM Exits?Skipped fellowships, urgent care, telemed, etc. Chose UM after discovering it via a forum post.


Entry Strategy (Build a CV Fast):


  1. Peer review gigs (e.g., basic MCG case reviews, ~$80/case). Paid poorly, steep learning curve, but gave 1 yr of “medical necessity” experience.
  2. ACPA-C certification (~$700, 3-day course). Teaches 2-midnight rule, DRGs, etc. Mandatory for most physician advisor jobs + annual NPAC conference = networking gold.

Job Hunt Tips:


  • Avoid: Insurance-side UM mills (low pay ~$150k, zero autonomy, remote EM grind).
  • Target: Full-time hospital/system physician advisor roles (300+ bed systems all have UM depts). Start by asking your own hospital’s UM director. Field is booming—systems losing millions to payer denials are hiring.

The Gig (FT Physician Advisor, large nonprofit system):


  • Schedule: M-F 8a-4p, 100% remote, no nights/weekends. 1 month paid vacation + 3 weeks paternity leave.
  • Pay: Google says ~$204k avg; I’m “top 99%” (north of $280k) after recent promotion—matches full-time EM pay.
  • Tracks (larger systems split duties):
    1. CDI (documentation → max billing, fight coding denials).
    2. Patient Flow (ED status, bed allocation, throughput across system).
    3. Denials (my main lane).

What I Actually Do (Denials + Policy Jedi):


  • Routine peer-to-peers for med necessity.
  • 50% macro work: Confront payer C-suites with laws they’re breaking, file CMS complaints, overhaul state-level policies. Real leverage as a major revenue stream for insurers.
  • Outcome: Prevent denials systemically, not just overturning stormtroopers—going after the Sith lords.

Lifestyle Wins:


  • 15 hrs intense work spread over 40 → time for gym, kid chef lessons, wife lunches.
  • Zero malpractice risk (notes hidden in Epic).
  • Respect: From ED replaceable cog to system-wide expert consultant. Specialists now humble when I unlock their auths.
  • Miss EM’s time off & pay? Pay matched; “time off” in ED was drowning—this is sustainable.

Future & Orgs:


  • AI will help efficiency, not replace (payers will always cheat).
  • Ditch ACEP (CMG shill); join ACPA—NPAC conference actually useful for fighting denials.

TL;DR: UM physician advisor = EM pay, banker hours, remote, no malpractice, real impact. Build CV with peer review + ACPA-C, target hospital systems, avoid insurance grindhouses. If you’re burned out and stuck, this is a legit off-ramp.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your AI summary is almost as long as their post and left out the good parts.

lol

I do loathe that summary

Honestly, it's not a good use of AI. This topic is meant to permanently, for the next few years, be a searchable topic people can look for. Someone dead serious about changing careers will read pages of information, it's not meant for someone to distil down into a few graphs and make a life/family changing decision. People's careers aren't stocks, groove! loooool

Seriously though, anyone dead serious about change will probably take the time to read, that's who this topic is really for. I'm not mad I'm just saying any TLDR defeats the purpose of a deep dive into changing someone's life. It's akin to getting an AI summary of Stephen King's The Stand. At that point, why are you even reading the summary?
 
I personally know three EPs who have jumped full time into physician advisor roles on the insurance side. UNH has been paying $300k/year for 25-30 hours/week of full time work plus benefits. Initially, and likely still, I felt like it’s working for the dark side. One of them though told me about some of the incredibly shady things some hospitals do in billing insurance for questionable prolonged admissions. They all have also reported that they typically rubber stamp approve most insurance claims and haven’t received pressure to deny. That doesn’t change my opinion of UNH. It does open my eyes to the fact that the system is just a mess. They said after working in their role for a while that the entire system and our country would save a boatload of money if the army of people working on both the insurance side and the hospital side, meaning including themselves, completely went away and we also just played a flat rate for hospital admission nixing inpatient and observation status. Take from that what you will. I do minor, part time UM work, not to the degree above (certainly don’t consider myself an expert in this area), but I agree. That being said, sadly the system isn’t going away any time soon. My personal interests aren’t policy, but perhaps those that do have that interest can fight for true, meaningful change. Luckily, I personally found a very good SDG and system to work for. It hurts me to hear about when some individuals’ greed locally ruins what’s in my opinion the best model for our field.

the system is a mess, no argument there.

Your friends on the insurance side have drank the Kool-Aid. There’s no doubt that hospital systems may engage in some “interesting“ billing practices and also do shady things like changing outpatient clinics to HOPDs. Having said that, to compare what hospital systems do, even dirtbag ones like HCA, to what insurance companies do is sheer lunacy.


300k is on the low side… I am hearing closer to 500 out the door plus benefits for a 30/hr week.

edit: i see almostanmd responded to you already. i agree with them in full. speaking of SFH- i used to get mad about them but now I just act like a total dick to the medical director whenever i get the chance. hasn't affected my overturn rate either way
 
Last edited:
My personal gripe is that I feel a lot of AI generated stuff is overly verbose in a machine way that is boring to read.

I think there is still value in humans writing down their experience and others directly reading that experience.

AlmostAnMD described well how it might be a better read for someone very specifically interested in their experience.
Agree. I really hate seeing AI output posted. It rarely adds much to the discussion, and is almost always written in a way that completely prevents you from actually wanting to read it.
 
My personal gripe is that I feel a lot of AI generated stuff is overly verbose in a machine way that is boring to read.

I think there is still value in humans writing down their experience and others directly reading that experience.

AlmostAnMD described well how it might be a better read for someone very specifically interested in their experience.

Could not agree more!

AI generated MDM's do not tell me one bit anything that I want to read.

"Patient presented with lower abdominal pain so will obtain a CT Abdomen and Pelvis with IV contrast to evaluate for medical and surgical emergencies including, but not limited to, acute appendicits, volvulus, acute ascending colitis, acute sigmoid diverticulitis with or without perforation, perforated viscous, ingested foreign body, acute nephrolithiasis with hydronephrosis, large uterine fibroids, and acute abdominal aortic aneurysm with possible dissection or rupture, and fifteen other emergencies."

Jeez....who the F#$K wants to read that.
 
I'm curious as to your timeline leaving EM.
From your last shift where you decided enough was enough to the first shift at your new job how long did it take?

Do you do any clinical shifts?
Did you do any shifts during the transition?

I also have an exit plan, but I just struggle with my timeline. I think that first step making $1 outside of the ED might be the hardest step for me.
 
I'm curious as to your timeline leaving EM.
From your last shift where you decided enough was enough to the first shift at your new job how long did it take?

Do you do any clinical shifts?
Did you do any shifts during the transition?

I also have an exit plan, but I just struggle with my timeline. I think that first step making $1 outside of the ED might be the hardest step for me.

About a year from decide out, to out

That would be 2023. Our system never recovered from covid. Garbage, bottom-of-the-barrel nurses. Night shift used to require seniority for nurses and it had the same people working it for 10 years. It imploded to a training ground and a turnover machine.

I still talk to some people there, it's gotten slightly better apparently but god it was awful.

I HAD a plan to do clinical shifts. Really. But every time I sent my CV to a recruiter my heart would sink and I'd chicken out. It felt like a safety blanket than a necessity....like, do I REALLY need these shifts? do I REALLY need to stay clinically active?

answer to both was no. I'm a year out. My Abem cert is clinically inactive. Because they are greed ****s I can still recert but I just don't practice. I also don't do the learning modules, I'm told, I just write a check.

At that point it's all about letters since clearly as time goes on I'd be more and more dangerous if I ever came back.

Whatever your exit plan is, act on it. Every day you fantasize about leaving the ED is a day you have to go to the ED.
 
How far out of training were you? Do you feel like that influenced your decision at all? Do you feel like you have to "Fight" with other doctors working in the hospital? Like to improve their documentation? Or to change the way they practice for "Insurance" issues?
 
How far out of training were you? Do you feel like that influenced your decision at all? Do you feel like you have to "Fight" with other doctors working in the hospital? Like to improve their documentation? Or to change the way they practice for "Insurance" issues?

5 years. That makes a big difference. The docs that have been doing this for 20 years are close to retirement/stockholm-syndrome'd in. Hardly anyone makes meaningful career changes that late.

But if you're early, you can pivot, and pivot easily. I mean you can pivot later, too....but looking at my peers only one made a late pivot, and that was because he had to medically retire. His mind still works, but his body doesn't.


So did that influence my decision? Yeah. Most PA jobs as for a 2, 3, or 5 years of clinical attending experience. So I met that at a minimum. Now as I vie for upward trajectory it's all about policy experience, not clinical experience.

"fight" with other doctors? You mean in my current role? Not at all. I get them paid. The hospitalist groups are private, so they get a profit share. If I tell them a way to make something IP or make the DC summary clear for a pending denial p2p there is 100% compliance. Most literally ask me what they should word-for-word put in their chart (which is fine, as long as everyone is telling the truth. If your patient couldn't stop vomiting, take a break from talking about their AKI and write a sentence about intractable nausea and inability to take PO despite IV antiemetics!).


I'm sensitive to documentation stuff, because as a previous clinician (COUGH COUGH MIPS, COUGH COUGH SEPSIS, etc) I know documentation is hell.

I've actually worked with our CDI team to streamline the mandated stuff and reduce clickbox burden. I only have one system-wide change I implemented which is a 2MN expectation clickbox in the attending attestation. Other advisors have added some routine PNA/CHF verbiage attendings can pull in, but they comply easily because it includes a dropdown of their entire A&P essentially so using it actually saves time for them.



So that somewhat answers your final question, yeah, things have to change for insurance issues. But, like I said, compliance here hasn't been an issue at all for me. Everyone wants to be paid. Everyone wants their bonuses as big as possible. If I can tell you spending 5 seconds on a chart nets another 2K in the billing to capture something to convert from obs to IP you're gonna jump on that if you have ownership of profit.



Harking back to what someone else said, this entire system is really pointless. A more fair system wouldn't have insurance directors OR advisors doing this. But, you live in the world you live in, not the world you want to, so in this world there are insurance companies reaching into our pockets to steal our money, and my role is to smack their wrist every time they try.
 
Thanks for writing this up, it's always interesting to learn more about people's atypical career paths. I wasn't really aware of the policy side of the field which sounds really rewarding.
 
Thanks for writing this up, it's always interesting to learn more about people's atypical career paths. I wasn't really aware of the policy side of the field which sounds really rewarding.

No problem. It's definitely not for everyone.

For me, I'm an "ideas" guy. I have a lot of ideas. Like anyone I complain about stuff all the time, but I also come up with ways to make things better. That wasn't encouraged in my SDG. Rather, it was almost prohibited. Old boy's crew runs the world, they know what to do.

In my current role I see so much we can do to increase revenue and challenge payors legally, working side-by-side with legal team. The net result is making actual change in the system! It comes slowly, involves a lot of meetings and making lots of mistakes, but watching it come together is something I didn't get to experience in the ED, seeing positive change.
 
You think youre gonna stay as a PA forever? All but one of my colleagues are in the twilight of their careers but youre on the way up. I think I eventually want to move to CMO or something but my current job is pretty sweet… not sure the extra headache is worth the move up
 
You think youre gonna stay as a PA forever? All but one of my colleagues are in the twilight of their careers but youre on the way up. I think I eventually want to move to CMO or something but my current job is pretty sweet… not sure the extra headache is worth the move up

I'm already working up! didn't give a lot of details in the OP but I'm already a medical director, happened quite quickly. Which I now use to expand my visions dramatically. I want to see a world of only legit/gray area denials, all bull**** gone. People laugh, but the laws are the laws, and it's definitely doable. Payors just need to feel pain. They respond only to pain. Financial penalties. Star ratings downgrades. Constant annoyance at C-suite level. Bend them, break them.

Asking has not worked. It will never work. Take it all back. TAKE. IT.

Long term if my stock stuff doesn't pan out yeah I'll probably try for a VP role. I think CMO requires more clinical activity, which is fair, but there's plenty of managed care leadership roles out there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i agree...there must be pain. sounds crass but i want those guys to think about self harm if they talk to me.

i am medical director as well. my job like 70/30 cdi/um and i direct on the cdi side. (

side hustles are the main reason i ask...this job gives me time to do some snf/hospice work and stocks. CMO total comp higher but i dont think its as high as multiple jobs combined. and the hours surely arent as good.anyways, best of luck.
 
Very interesting stuff, thank you for posting.


I’ve developed an ultra-specialized knowledge base (I’m a voracious reader) and I have a high capacity for legal review/policy work. So that’s allowed me to serve as an expert consultant across this multi-state system on key cases or be the “go-to” guy for a lot of specific nuances.

It sounds like you're doing great without it, but given your interest in law and policy, have you considered also getting a JD? Could that allow you to go after the insurance guys even harder, or is that something you can just leave to the existing legal team?

lol

I do loathe that summary

Honestly, it's not a good use of AI. This topic is meant to permanently, for the next few years, be a searchable topic people can look for. Someone dead serious about changing careers will read pages of information, it's not meant for someone to distil down into a few graphs and make a life/family changing decision. People's careers aren't stocks, groove! loooool

Seriously though, anyone dead serious about change will probably take the time to read, that's who this topic is really for. I'm not mad I'm just saying any TLDR defeats the purpose of a deep dive into changing someone's life. It's akin to getting an AI summary of Stephen King's The Stand. At that point, why are you even reading the summary?
It brings to mind a Woody Allen quote: "I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."
 
AlmostAnMD- Thanks for posting all of this, very informative. We've PM'd once before about this very topic. I have a quick question about age, as it applies to UM/PA roles.

I'm kind of targeting this as my next career step (Got my ACPA-C, do DRG reviews on the side, have MBA), and currently have a significant administrative role (more operational). Due to some contractual obligations which I won't get in to, I'm at least 2 years out from a transition being possible, at which point I'll be pushing age 50.

From what you've seen, do health systems have a preference for physicians in earlier stages in their career (figuring they'll be around longer/can grow into other roles), or do they like docs with 20+ years under their belt because of the experience they bring, or does it not really matter?
 
AlmostAnMD- Thanks for posting all of this, very informative. We've PM'd once before about this very topic. I have a quick question about age, as it applies to UM/PA roles.

I'm kind of targeting this as my next career step (Got my ACPA-C, do DRG reviews on the side, have MBA), and currently have a significant administrative role (more operational). Due to some contractual obligations which I won't get in to, I'm at least 2 years out from a transition being possible, at which point I'll be pushing age 50.

From what you've seen, do health systems have a preference for physicians in earlier stages in their career (figuring they'll be around longer/can grow into other roles), or do they like docs with 20+ years under their belt because of the experience they bring, or does it not really matter?

docs in our UM group come from all stages of career--early (myself), mid and late. Obviously advantages to both! I don't think age has ever really come up in our group at all, outside of an advisor that is 55 but looks 30 likely due to vampire magic

Sounds like you're well qualified for it! good luck
 
Can you comment on the the ACPA vs ABQAURP and the other organizations that seem to offer some training/certification related to this role?

Nope, sorry.

Our institution, and leadership in UM, use ACPA so we've all standardized to that. I'm aware there's other word salad organizations/certs, but I honestly don't know anything about them. I could probably get both with my CME I guess but as you said it does seem similar so probably pointless.

All I've heard is largely what you said, they're similar. I imagine either opens doors the same amount
 
Hold up. This feels like serindipity seeing this post. Was thinking about UM last week while going through my list of alternatives to EM. I've got young kids and a wife who works 9-5. I'm not sure if anything would be better than getting out of EM and trying this out. It's just a wild west to me of stuff I know nothing about. I plan to reread this post a few times, but any chance you'll respond to a DM?
 
I've got young kids and a wife who works 9-5. I'm not sure if anything would be better than getting out of EM and trying this out. It's just a wild west to me of stuff I know nothing about.
My exact situation! Until I read about someone doing it on SDN I had never even heard of UM. Unlike palliative care docs or pain management, who see patients and leave notes, this speciality is truly a ninja...we don't leave (visible/discoverable) notes in epic to clinicians. Some of the time when I reach out to a doc via secure chat to clarify something they'll respond with some version of, "wait, what are you?"

I plan to reread this post a few times, but any chance you'll respond to a DM?
Wouldn't be the first! Happy to help anyone be happier with their career.
 
One follow up to that which seems relevant here. Do you still get to wear scrubs? Or did you trade them in for a suit?
 
Ha! well that's a relief!

Also, do most of these jobs have PT with benefits?

One of our big road blocks right now is that my job covers the family's health insurance. It's an extra 2k out of pocket if I cut my shifts at all. But I think it would be awesome if I could start into this 25-30 hrs/week, get benefits, and still have a little room to PRN an ED shift here or there.
 
Ha! well that's a relief!

Also, do most of these jobs have PT with benefits?

One of our big road blocks right now is that my job covers the family's health insurance. It's an extra 2k out of pocket if I cut my shifts at all. But I think it would be awesome if I could start into this 25-30 hrs/week, get benefits, and still have a little room to PRN an ED shift here or there.

Like any job on earth, don't expect benefits if you only wanna work 25% or 50% FTE, that's just unrealistic.

I had the option to work 75% FTE with increased cost of FTE benefits (no complaints, that's fair, don't expect 1.0 FTE cost bennies at 0.75 FTE!).

Remember its' not ED work. so you probably wouldn't work 20-30 hours a week, you'd probably work full-time 3 weeks a month with one week off (that mindset is hard to uncouple, I know).

Obviously I can't speak for the entire market. You may be forced to work 100% FTE and just work some weekends in the ED. But at some point, you have to be like me and ask, "why even stay in the ED?" Unless you wanna do it for the love of the game or fear of things going south, there's just no reason. It's like a cardiologist keeping his IM boards and not doing IM.
 
why even stay in the ED....

I hear that. For me, I've aggressively saved and invested and now I think can say I'm CoastFI. But I still have monthly expenses that require a decent cash flow. So I've been stuck in this mindset of figuring out when I can leave the ED.

The answer always seems to be in 4 years when all the kids are out of daycare. The problems are always figuring out healthcare and covering the gap between my wife's earnings and our monthly cash flow, but once daycare is done we should be fine?

Then there's just the idea of being stuck. Maybe it's an identity thing? Like maybe after 10+ years of this, part of my soul identifies as an ER doctor and doesn't want to give it up? Or add in some advice from one of my elders. He said that in his career, a few of his ER friends left EM for other careers and wanted to go back. But they ended up in corporate for so long that their skills faded and nobody would hire them. Maybe I'm just taking that advice to heart and want to keep my foot in the door?

And the risk of things going south. Maybe I'm a PA at a good gig and the healthcare system drastically changes, or a new CEO comes in a fires everyone. Or I get a bad corporate review or whatever it is white collar corporate folks do.

Then theres the little benefits. Like being off work on weekday mornings when my kids have stuff at daycare. I can schedule around that and be there for them when my wife can't.

But then again, there's also the weekends when she's alone with all the kids and a nanny and tells me all the time how she'd prefer to be there with me. And the feeling that we could plan weekend trips and do holidays with the family if I wasn't in the Department. The damage that nights do to my body. And all the other nonsense that we all know about EM and the reasons to leave. I'm sure you already know.

This is essentially my brain's train of thought with this whole idea of leaving the ED. And what makes it so back and forth and so difficult. Plus it's the only life I know, so its tough to figure out how the other side lives.
 
The answer always seems to be in 4 years when all the kids are out of daycare. The problems are always figuring out healthcare and covering the gap between my wife's earnings and our monthly cash flow, but once daycare is done we should be fine?
Even though you're not paying for daycare doesn't mean that kids get less expensive.
 
it's the only life I know, so its tough to figure out how the other side lives.

That really sums up your post. It honestly comes down to risk tolerance vs not taking a chance, factoring in how happy/miserable you are in your current job.

An ED doc happy in their job won't read this topic. And I get that--but it's not for them lol

For me, I'm a risk taker and I ****ing hated working in garbage group that runs my city. So any fate was acceptable as long as I wasn't in the ED.

I'm not a able to be certain of all systems, but when new management/CEOs come in, they seem to leave UM alone. Entire ED groups can come and go, but UM is literally what greases the wheels/pays for everything.

My projects require C-suite approval and when I phrase them as "YOU GET MORE MONEY IF YOU LET ME DO THIS" the answer has always been yes. Sometimes they need to bring lawyers in because I push boundaries with payors, but once lawyers bless me I move on.

But back to what you're saying about replacement/changes, etc, it's far more likely for an ED group to get kicked out than a UM group. We'd have to be so, so so objectively bad at recovering money to get fired/replaced.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh hi.

I’m AlmostAnMD. You may remember me from such topics as “POWERHOUSE RESIDENCY” and “Maybe Husel was just really good at palliative care?”

Today I’m here to talk to you about the exciting world of utilization management (UM). I said I’d do this after I left EM but wanted to wait a year for two reasons.

  • Posting about UM with only a month or two of experience isn’t helpful to anyone
  • If I make it a year, that makes it sound like I could actually make it two…or three…or just be done with EM entirely (current plan).
This is going to be a long rant. Do yourself a favor and pour yourself some Weller 12 Year, set aside some time, and discover if leaving EM is for you and if UM is your replacement. If that topic doesn’t interest you at all, then stop reading now since the following will be a waste of your time.



Now your first question is probably a fair one. “AlmostAnMD, if you’re burned out on EM, why not consider doing X instead?” Where X is:

-interventional pain
-EMS fellowship
- urgent care
-telemedicine
-sports medicine
-“administration fellowship”
-peds EM
-toxicology
-surgical critical care
-Newman Anesthesia certificate
-disaster medicine
-ultrasound fellowship
-“do another residency”
-anesthesia critical care
-Newman’s house of propofol
-“go into academics”
-palliative care
-neurocritical care
-undersea and hyperbaric medicine
-“does this smell like propofol to you?”
-addiction medicine
-“own a freestanding”
- ask wife to be more productive
-brain injury medicine
-concierge medicine
-kill self
-cruise ship medicine
-aesthetics certificate/med spa
-geriatrics fellowship
-global health fellowship
-involuntary Newman proceduralist
-Research fellowship
-medical education fellowship
--“work fewer shifts”
-population health fellowship

Those are all great questions, most of which are legal. But instead, I chose UM. But before I explain why I chose UM or explain what I actually DO as a physician advisor in the UM field, I’ll explain why I left EM. I think starting with that a good point because before starting something new you should consider if the old is working for you or not.



For me, it was not. I am one of those folks truly region-locked due to a spouse that I want to stay with and she is an ultra-specialist of her non-medical field. There are literally two places in the country we can be where she can work and every other place she’s effectively a housewife or working well outside of her PhD/bringing in less bank.

And already, you’ve probably found the first hurdle. If you’re the breadwinner taking a risk by leaving steady employment—especially if kids are involved, like my situation—this feels dangerous. Having a working spouse that makes decent money is a great support in case things go sideways. If your spouse doesn’t work, tell him/her to get their ass back to work, because it’s the 21st century and tradwife on your own goddam time because it’s time for your ass to get comfy.

And if you don’t have a spouse or kids then you’ve got nothing to lose anyway, your risks are your own, just run with your gut and GTFO and do whatever makes you happy.

As far as EM goes, I fell into a crappy situation. I was a decent resident/chief. They started showing metrics my third year of residency (to the chagrin of most) and I was like a standard deviation above every other person in my class for pph, which as an attending is a pointless thing to brag about but as a resident it made me feel badass.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I felt generally prepared to be an attending by the time I finished residency. Like any good resident, I sold shifts to junior residents to moonlight and made real money while still in residency. I cannot emphasize the personal and financial value of moonlighting enough. I distinctly remember my first rural, critical access shift. I called @Tenk because I thought I just killed a guy with chest pain because I sent him home.

I mean, he had some benign BS story, mid 40s, days of pain and I held him for two trops. Looking back, wonder why I didn’t do 3 or 4 just to make it last the whole shift. Obviously someone like that now half the time I might not even order labwork depending on how busy I am but whatever. The point is, moonlighting is great for making bank, learning productivity and checking your fear at the door.

I’d say this skill carried well into my attending job. But after a year or so I realized I joined an ASS SDG and it ran the entire city I was in. So I essentially had no choice but to keep working there since the alternative was a one way 90 minute drive. If you’re single that’s great, if you’ve got family/kids, less so. So I basically just made it work.



I won’t try to make this about my EM work, but as a general rule, any of the following is probably a flag when it comes to determining malignancy. In no particular order:

  • A medical director has been medical director longer than I’ve literally been alive (no exaggeration or joke)
  • No vertical movement in the years I was there—no room for advancement/rotation of leadership roles
  • Secret bonuses for medical directors. I don’t know what they were, but our peasant bonus felt weirdly low for seeing insane acuities and patient volumes
  • Weird trend where staffing is fantastic for medical directors but suddenly midlevel/doc coverage drops when directors aren’t working (and pointing this out is apparently not good teamwork)
  • Leadership does not work nights, regardless of age
  • Docs mysteriously disappear off schedule. Frequently. And sometimes never come back. This also includes people that have been here a decade+. Then rumors fly, and none of them are good


I mean honestly this list could be 30 points longer, and I’ve dove into them in separate topics, but it’s really not the point. The main takeaway is it felt like EM wasn’t going to work out. Couldn’t really change groups, couldn’t realistically drive forever and leaving town ruins spouse career.



In 2023, two things happened.

The first was an event at a shift. I saw doc that was late-age—like, should have retired years ago, but I dunno has multiple divorces or something—completely lose his ****. Went nuts on something relatively minor, like a lab error or nurse not doing something. But he was throwing ****, screaming, cursing, even when it was done just muttering under his breath.

I dunno why but for some reason, I looked at him and thought holy ****, that’s going to be me if I don’t get out of here. I mean sure my stocks could take off, we could win the lottery, etc…but at some point you have to actually take control of your destiny, so I made the mental commitment that night to get out.


The second thing was actually a post on here! Someone made a post about doing utilization work, which I didn’t even know existed or what it was, and I exchanged a few PMs about it with him. So I decided that would be my exit.



But, going into it blind without any connection or experience is a steep ask. So I started here:

Peer Review Services

You basically just need a license. They give you some cases to review and they’ll give you some criteria to match it against to approve or deny stuff. (NOTE: this is not at all what I do now! But it’s a CV builder).

For hospital-based stuff, they use MCG. MCG is a “national guideline” (lol, IYKYK) that they ask you to see if specific cases meet specific criteria. This requires no MD or brains at all. In fact, in my current job it’s being replaced with AI and/or UM RNs that manually do these reviews. I have a familiarity now with InterQual and MCG but most med necessity reviews are more holistic than that, so I only use them to check certain things to see what the denial chances are.

The case review stuff sucked. Hard. It paid ass, they wanted fast turnaround times, and the learning curve is a bit steep so if they only offer 80 bucks for a review and it takes you two hours to do it, you start to wonder if it’s worth it.

Long term, probably not. I mean, definitely not. But it’s not a long term thing. I did it for better part of a year to pad my CV as someone with experience in medical necessity, as well as someone with at least a passing understanding of MCG. Looking back, that’s a decent way to do it. The other way, or way to add to your CV, is to get certified here:

Home

Getting your ACPA-C is mandatory for most docs working in utilization, at least physician advisor jobs, which I have.



It’s like a 700 buck test and takes 3 days to go through the modules. It’s a decent course as well, teaches you the basics of 2 midnight rule, DRG vs per diem payors, etc. Prepares you for higher level things than the BS I was doing. Also they have an annual conference where I think they just hand out jobs? So get certified and go to that if desired. They also do the course/certificate live at the conference as well, but then you miss most of the conference.

So a year of experience goes by and I’m just applying for jobs like a mad man. I learned from a guy that also burned out of EM about what kind of jobs to look for. Avoid these:

Home

This, and many like it. If it’s all you can get, do it for a few years to build experience and leave. Just as TH/USUCKS only cares about grinding your meet, these are the UM equivalents. You have no autonomy, no one cares about you, and you’re just handed caseloads to maximize your revenue potential. It’s a remote-work version of EM work, really. Also the pay is ass, the guy told me he made $150,000/yr doing this. Do not do this.

Instead, do what I did.


The “sweet spot” of UM jobs is actually working FT for hospitals/hospital systems. You should start by asking your own utilization department if they are hiring internally. If you work in a hospital or hospital system that has 300+ beds, you definitely, and for sure, have a utilization department. Otherwise your hospital is hemorrhaging so much money it can’t even stay afloat, trust me. This gets into the weeds of UM a bit, but insurance has stepped up their denials game considerably over the last decade and without UM the hospital will shut down. If you’re at a smaller/more “backwards” shop/system, UM will fall under case management.

Just ask their director if they’re hiring for advisor jobs. The case review stuff I mentioned is great for a CV booster, but I know most systems will train their own docs do be advisors, understanding that it’s not something people get exposure to in residency/attendinghood.



In my case, my system has physician advisors. I met with their director, who told me they didn’t have openings or expect them anytime soon. A double-edged sword, really…does your ED have an attending spot open? Of course it does, people are leaving left and right. Turnover is a marker for job satisfaction, and that’s why the ED turnover at my old group was like a revolving door. It’s probably also why the hospital system I left hasn’t hired an advisor in 5 years, for the opposite reason.

But this field is exploding in most places, so systems that are realizing they are losing money to insurance are hiring like crazy:

View attachment 411146

These are all system/non-profit gigs. They pay more, work you less and just care about getting job done than worrying about if you’re actually turning cases every 2 seconds. Hell I have some days I get some decent gym work in, but that’s between printing cold cash and meetings.

This is literally how I found my current job. Saw a nonprofit system level job, took my meager CV to the interviews and knocked it out every level of interview.



Gonna divide the last section up between what being a physician advisor actually is and what I, specifically, do. Since I’m diverging considerably from the normal PA route.

First, the thing you probably care about most—pay. Honesty, I can’t tell you much here for two reasons. Firstly, “salary data” is what I got from google. Per google, the average physician advisor makes 204k/yr. But it also says “top earners” make over 280K and I’m considerably north of that, on the bellcurve at top 99% of advisors. So my experience could be unique, my boss might not understand I’m overpaid, or the salary data I saw is grossly outdated or doesn’t factor in part-timers (there are a LOT of part-time advisors, FT is more rare, understandably, as people are reticent to actually hang up their stethoscope).



I’m FT. 40 hours a week, M-F, 8a-4p, full remote. No weekend or night work. Anything that happens outside those hours will get handled during next business day.

Also I get a month of paid vacation a year, which is sweet, compared to my old SDG that just “scheduled around” your vacation request. IE, if you work 18 shifts/month, a two week vacation to Europe requires you to work those shifts around your vacation. As you can guess, even bridging between months, that’s just not an ideal situation. So I ****ing love my vacation time. Another life change is paternity leave

Child A—born while working at SDG—schedule around induction date, hope she doesn’t go early because of the calloff headache, get 4 shifts off in a row for hospital then go back to work

Child B—3 weeks paid paternity leave. I didn’t even bring it up, actually. I told my boss the wife was pregnant and immediately he was like, “YOU NEED TO FILE FOR YOUR PATERNITY LEAVE!” So, cool. Absence can actually be supported.

Which entices YOU more? Lol



Other than that, the bennies are pretty much the same bells/whistles of medical/vision/dental/401K etc. So enough about bennies, the next part of this writeup is a breakdown of the actual work itself.



At a smaller system/single hospital you might do all 3, but at a larger system (mine) you will generally do one of three tracks: patient flow, CDI, denials.


CDI is clinical documentation integrity. Honestly this isn’t my track, but I have minimal training in the area and can generally describe it. This involves coding denials or clinical validity denials—ie, was the patient truly septic? If not, expect a downgrade. Was the data just not captured well? Then expect a downgrade. Data not being captured well can cause the same thing, but advisors can step in and argue these charts to preserve the original coding. There’s also a lot of system-level work these people related to charting templates to minimize clickbox hell but also maximize billing. This work is done by people that also understand clicking isn’t fun, but it’s a part of medicine.

Again, I can’t tell you a WHOLE lot about CDI since it’s not the “track” I went with.



Next is patient flow. I fill this roll occasionally for the system when the usual suspects can’t.

Responsibilities
  • ED management. Ever wonder why beds are held, some patients go upstairs first, some patients stay for discharge? Or what about patients just transferring out rather than getting admitted?
  • If you don’t have an efficient system that doesn’t happen, or nurses run it, which is worse. Basically I’ll divert patients away from tertiary facilities that just need community resources (lobar PNA, COPD tx, etc) to keep flagships open for business for specialty care. It sometimes flows in reverse when flagships are weirdly more open than communities. The goal is just to maximize bed availability of all hospitals and increase throughput, not favoritism or site/specialty requests.
  • Status management of the ED
Upstairs is managed by a different team. Patient flow guy will determine status of ED patients. There are UM RNs that will do obvious cases meeting clear criteria, they just come to you for unclear dispositions/medically complex stuff



Literal patient flow

Why isn’t someone discharging? Not the usual social work BS, but medical issues delaying care, teams that are just sitting on patients for days and not doing anything, etc.



Other hospital committee stuff as needed

UM committee work, other committee work, I don’t know much about these because I don’t do these either. But this is where larger policy/system changes can take place.



That’s an oversimplification of CDI/flow, because I don’t do much of these, honestly.


My forte is denials.



I mostly love denials because it gives me a chance to see how healthcare actually works. I know a lot about medicine, but healthcare and medicine could not be less related. To be good at inpatient authorization denials you really should know federal and states laws well, so it turns you into a policy dork.

Of course, medical directors I talk to on peer-to-peers don’t know or care about laws, as I’ve found, so I get to work “with” the system to help overhaul things at the state level to prevent fraud and abuse from payors. This involves extensive projects related to reducing the denials work we do.



One person that we consulted with said denials are like stormtroopers. Working on denials, you can overturn them, but there’s always more stormtroopers. Always. The real trick is to go after the sithlords that send the stormtroopers. So that’s about 50% of my work now, being a jedi to go after sithlords.



So, this is where I divorce a bit from the usual PA denials role. I still do routine peer-to-peer medical necessity denials, but I’ve gone pretty far with the policy stuff, so specific that if I mention the work I largely out myself here but I’ll just say this work does what I wasn’t able to do in the ED: make a difference.


I’ve been able to literally reduce denials from even coming in by directly confronting insurance C-suite leaders with the laws they are breaking. A smaller single hospital probably can’t do that but we’re such a revenue stream we can actually make these threats (backed by lawyers, eternally nervous of litigation if I misspeak). Ultimately, I’m just holding the payors to the law, which requires a lot of familiarity with the law. So if you like details or projects this is a fun route to go.


Myself, I burned out in the ED. Bad. Clock-in-clock out is a mentality that is absolutely valid, but I decided I want my life to actually mean something in a bigger picture. I’m finding I can have lasting impacts working with regulatory agencies to curb fraudulent claim denials—not just individual claims, but making impacts that change how claims are processed/reducing denials/decreasing payor fraud. At the end of the day, it’s deeply rewarding work.


The thing I miss most about ED work is the time off and the pay. But with a recent promotion (this gets a little too specific for public posting, PM for details if you really care but honestly it’s not worth really going into detail anyway) I’m essentially paid the same as the full-time ED doc I was, so that’s essentially nullified.



The time off though isn’t even that big a deal either. ED work is….WORK. At least mine was, I was drowning at times. This work is more like doing 15 hours of “intense” work over 40 hours. Like I said, time to take wife out to lunch, do some kid stuff, get some exercise, etc….it’s not 40 hours of constant ass-in-chair.



I think the other element worth mentioning here is respect. I’ve mentioned this in detail in other topics, but it’s worth repeating again—you are nobody in the ED. Literally a replaceable husk of a human wearing a stethoscope, easily swapped out by someone else.



I’ve developed an ultra-specialized knowledge base (I’m a voracious reader) and I have a high capacity for legal review/policy work. So that’s allowed me to serve as an expert consultant across this multi-state system on key cases or be the “go-to” guy for a lot of specific nuances.

The difference between how I’m treated now vs as an ED doc is night-and-day. To be fair, and I’ve said this before, I didn’t go into medicine so people could sniff my farts and feel joy, but constantly being blamed/dumped on/people throwing semen at me (happened a few times)/consultants yelling at me weren’t worth 400k/yr. No thanks. I guess you can call me a diva for that but not being reminded I’m a worthless **** constantly just got to me after a while.



It actually took a loooong time coordinating denials overturned for specialists to realize the script flipped dramatically. Solid organ transplant docs are incredibly humble when they find out you’re the guy that can get things auth’d, etc. They can’t flex their badass skills if they aren’t allowed to use them!



The work-life balance is an infinite improvement. I’m rarely up past 10p now. I love to make dinner with the kids, training them to be little chefs. I’m home for dinner every day since my work doesn’t leave lol. If I need to call off for any reason it’s not a big deal, we schedule light enough that cross-coverage isn’t stressful to fill another role. I have every weekend free forever.


No malpractice insurance since I can’t (easily) kill anyone. So, fear of lawsuits is gone. My notations I leave are in a separate part of epic not discoverable, too. If you’ve wondered why you don’t see EPIC notes from advisors, that’s because ours are hidden and visible only to UM RNs. My understanding is this is fairly universal with robust programs.


As far as the future of the field goes, it has a role for AI but for now I see that only increasing efficiency. As long as payors are going to try to break the law—forever—an AI program isn’t likely to replace us. I used to hate committee work/meetings, but in a more productive environment that’s honestly just how you get things done/make changes. If a payor is breaking a law/doing a type of denial, you can complain about it, or gather the right people, schedule a meeting, talk to the lawyers, file the appeals, the CMS complaints, etc…make a difference. Stop it from happening.



Finally, I’ll close with the professional organizations. One of my biggest “jading factors” was ACEP. What a criminal cartel of a waste of dollars. It’s a snake that starts at ED docs at the head and ends with CMGs at the tail. The only thing they care about is reimbursement because that’s the CMG priority. Not safe staffing ratios. Not protecting ED docs. Not residency expansion. The motive of ACEP is clear, and anyone giving any dollars to them for any reason is equally guilty for the decline of this specialty. At least try AAEM, that was my professional org until I left EM. AAEM is the crazy uncle that we won’t realize was right all along with the conspiracy theories until it was too late.

ACPA has an amazing conference, NPAC. Yeah there’s the usual boozefest but the actual meeting is built to find ways for systems to fight denials. This year there were some amazing talks that transformed how we operate as a system. With all that I’ve learned, excited to see next year’s work. A lot of these talks are from people that are just trying various ways to annoy insurers into following the rules, or discovering obscure rules to make stuff work.

I honestly can’t remember a single ACEP talk I ever went to. It was mostly garbage/self-aggrandizing circle jerks. I remember half the talks I saw earlier this year since so many directly impacted what we are doing in an evolving field.





I’m refusing to proof-read any of this because it’s too long. It’s possible cat walked across keyboard at some point, sorry. Open to specific questions for the one or two people with enough attention span to read.

Am I reading this correctly in that it is viable to get ACPA-C certified and then apply apply apply instead of also doing the braindead case reviews as well? Cause I hate those.
 
Am I reading this correctly in that it is viable to get ACPA-C certified and then apply apply apply instead of also doing the braindead case reviews as well? Cause I hate those.

People do it either way. But experience is probably more valuable than the cert. Both would probably nab a job with a good interview.

Or, as I mentioned, just ask your own hospital system. certification/experience matter more for external applicants. Most hospitals are willing to "train" their own people, you just need to show interest. As mentioned, if you have even a halfway-large system I guarantee you've got docs doing this, you just don't know them!
 
Just found out that the UM doc at my hospital was replaced by some outsourced group. I guess even these physician advisors are subject to the whims of corporate like the docs are.
 
Also, maybe I'm wrong here, but are the ACPA courses actual courses? At least the first one I'm doing is just reading through a slideshow with no audio or video component.
 
Just found out that the UM doc at my hospital was replaced by some outsourced group. I guess even these physician advisors are subject to the whims of corporate like the docs are.

Ouch, never heard of that. Guess he was terrible at it?? Although "one guy" suggests he probably wasn't doing much, one guy couldn't possible do cdi/denials/appeals etc. So that is somewhat ripe for outsourcing.

And I honestly don't remember the courses. I thought there was audio?? Maybe not, been a minute.