2009 Comlex Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetlenovo88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have not seen any posts with peoples' experiences this year. What questions did you use and was it helpful? Was it neuro heavy as before?

Waiting to hear some experiences,

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My exam was heavy on Micro, light on pharm, light light on OMM, really heavy on OB principles, and I felt it was random. I studied really hard, and I don't think I would have done anything differently...just hope scores turn out that way.

It's not as bad as you think...I take the USMLE later, and I've heard I should look out. Does anyone know how long it takes to get scroes back?

Last edited:
did you guys have any specific questions on setting up treatments for a sacral dysfunction, or how to do counterstrain for a specific tenderpoint etc?

I had one question on how to set up muscle energy for a posteriorly rotated innominate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took my test yesterday.

Study Time: 7 weeks
Books Used: FA 2009, BRS Phys, RR Path, MMRS, Savarese

Got to the test site early and was able to start at 7:40am instead of my scheduled 8:30am time. The test is very straightforward. If you've done USMLE World then you will laugh at how some of these questions are written.

If I had to do a break down of questions, I'd say it was about 20% OMM, 30% Pharm, 30% Micro, and 20% everything else. Most of the bugs they asked about were in FA, but I did see about 2 or 3 that weren't even in MMRS. There was a serious amount of micro on my exam, and often they didn't give much info on how to identify them. You could probably narrow down the choices to 2 and guess from there. I was asked 1 biostats question with a calculation, but they don't give you a calculator. I also had a few questions on HIPAA and billing codes of all things (CPTs and RVUs). I am hoping those are experimental :laugh:

The OMM was very straight forward. Most of it was thoracic spine diagnosis and autonomic levels. I had maybe 10 or so anatomy questions which did include insertion questions. I had no clue so I guessed on most of those.

The biggest surprise I had was the amount of biochem I had on mine. I'd guess I had maybe 15-20 questions. Five or so were straight pathway questions, the other 10 were genetic diseases/mutations.

If you've prepared for the USMLE, the COMLEX will not be a problem at all. Good luck everyone!!

Quick question about timing.
So you get two 2 four hours blocks. (200 questions each, total 400 questions). There is a lunch break in between.
You can take 10 mins break after finishing 100 Qs but will be substrated out of that 2 hours? You can't go back after each 50 question set. Am i understanding correctly?
Where can I read about the timing? Thanks.

So JP04, when you get there early, you can start taking the test?
Which test center were you at?
I was scheduled at 8:30 am in Queens and thinking about leaving home around 7:30 am. It is only 10-15 mins away from my home.

Quick question about timing.
So you get two 2 four hours blocks. (200 questions each, total 400 questions). There is a lunch break in between.
You can take 10 mins break after finishing 100 Qs but will be substrated out of that 2 hours? You can't go back after each 50 question set. Am i understanding correctly?
Where can I read about the timing? Thanks.

So JP04, when you get there early, you can start taking the test?
Which test center were you at?
I was scheduled at 8:30 am in Queens and thinking about leaving home around 7:30 am. It is only 10-15 mins away from my home.

I took it at the prometric on Queens Blvd. They let me start as soon as I got there.

The way the breaks work is like this: You have a 4 hr block of time to do 200 questions. Between blocks 2 and 3 you have an optional 10 minute break. If you take it, it is not counted towards your 4 hours. After the 4th block, you get an optional 40 minute lunch. This time is also not counted towards the 4 hrs. You then start the next set of 4 blocks with an optional 10 minute break betweens blocks 6 and 7. The only thing I am not sure about is if each section is limited to 1 hour or if you can take longer for a block if you need extra time.

You can't go back to a question block once you submit it. Before submitting the block, you can review all of your answers for that block.

All in all it went really smoothly. The only thing I'd recommend for that particular site is to bring a pair of earplugs because they are doing construction on a mall behind the building. We heard them jackhammering all morning :laugh:

besides ID what more do I need to bring with me? (in terms of paperwork, etc)?
cheers

besides ID what more do I need to bring with me? (in terms of paperwork, etc)?
cheers

I just printed out the prometric confirmation email and wrote my NBOME ID on it. Pretty much that and a picture ID (driver's license or passport) is all you need.

I took it at the prometric on Queens Blvd. They let me start as soon as I got there.

The way the breaks work is like this: You have a 4 hr block of time to do 200 questions. Between blocks 2 and 3 you have an optional 10 minute break. If you take it, it is not counted towards your 4 hours. After the 4th block, you get an optional 40 minute lunch. This time is also not counted towards the 4 hrs. You then start the next set of 4 blocks with an optional 10 minute break betweens blocks 6 and 7. The only thing I am not sure about is if each section is limited to 1 hour or if you can take longer for a block if you need extra time.

You can't go back to a question block once you submit it. Before submitting the block, you can review all of your answers for that block.

All in all it went really smoothly. The only thing I'd recommend for that particular site is to bring a pair of earplugs because they are doing construction on a mall behind the building. We heard them jackhammering all morning :laugh:

Thanks jp04. This clear things up!

i just talked to someone who took comlex and they said that the 10 min optional break after blocks 2 and 6 ARE counted against your 4 hr time period (but 40 min lunch is not). is this something that varies b/w test centers??

i just talked to someone who took comlex and they said that the 10 min optional break after blocks 2 and 6 ARE counted against your 4 hr time period (but 40 min lunch is not). is this something that varies b/w test centers??

When the break timers came up they were seperate 10 minute countdowns. I didn't notice that my overall time went down, but then again, by block 2, I had something like 2:30 left for blocks 3 and 4. Maybe I didn't notice 10 mins off on that. I also thought that the reason why the lunch period was so weird (40 mins) was to take into account the two 10 minute breaks to make 1 hour even. Apologies in advance if I am spreading wrong info!

For those of you who have taken COMLEX, how much of an emphasis has there been on antipsychotics, antidepressants, anesthetics, & immunosuppressants in your experience? I'm taking my exam at the end of this week and these are my biggest areas of weakness as far as pharm goes, so I wanted to know if I should be focusing my energy on them or reinforcing all of the other drugs during this time.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have taken COMLEX, how much of an emphasis has there been on antipsychotics, antidepressants, anesthetics, & immunosuppressants in your experience? I'm taking my exam at the end of this week and these are my biggest areas of weakness as far as pharm goes, so I wanted to know if I should be focusing my energy on them or reinforcing all of the other drugs during this time.
Thanks!

I had ALOT of psych/neuro drug questions on my test, but the questions were fairly easy. Like for instance, what is the main side effect for X drug. Know the side effects for all of the psych drugs. My classmates also told me they had huge amounts of psych drugs on their exams as well. I had a few anti-depressant questions and no anesthetic questions at all.

Last edited:
OK, I took the COMLEX yesterday (6/23) and here's what I can remember from flipping quick through FA:

Behavioral: a few ethical things, informed consent, awareness, etc. No biostats.

Biochem/Genetics: more than I expected - Q's about OI, E-D, Marfan's, Huntington's, inheritance patterns, mutations in CF, Fragile X...what you would expect, I guess, no real surprises. A few Q's on cofactors in pathways (thiamine for PDH, B6 for glycogen phosphorylase)...nothing there that I hadn't seen in FA.

Embryo: barely anything - Meckel's, fetal circ, spina bifida, general stuff.

Micro: LOTS OF MICRO. Know your bacteria really well, COMLEX seemed to love them. Not too much on viruses, no structural questions (ssRNA, dsDNA, etc). Lots o' questions on virulence factors, most common cause, Abx, yada yada. Seemed like I had 8-10 per block. I had more repro/STD questions than anything else.

Immuno: know major cytokines (TNFa, IG's), IL's and functions. had questions on almost all of them, nothing really too tricky. Nothing (or at least nothing too difficult) on immune deficiencies.

Path: pretty heavy on Path. Again, nothing tricky, pretty straightforward.

Pharm: drug of choice, MOA, contraindications. No WTF moments, really, except for drug contraindicated in hypokalemic periodic paralysis. Didn't remember that one, hehe. Mostly HTN, Abx, autonomic and neuro drugs.

Organ systems: My test was pretty evenly spread out, but I had lots of endocrine(Grave's in particular), and neuro (Parkinson's, all the intracranial bleeds were on there multiple times, a few spinal cord things, Guillain-Barre). The other questions were pretty evenly spread out, nothing too tricky.

OMM: Simmon's Cram Pages were more than enough for OMT. Know your viscerosomatic levels and you'll get 30 free questions.

Overall I thought the exam was pretty fair, I know I missed some easy questions, got some hard ones, but that'll happen.

Good luck!

Took my test yesterday.

Study Time: 7 weeks
Books Used: FA 2009, BRS Phys, RR Path, MMRS, Savarese

Got to the test site early and was able to start at 7:40am instead of my scheduled 8:30am time. The test is very straightforward. If you've done USMLE World then you will laugh at how some of these questions are written.

If I had to do a break down of questions, I'd say it was about 20% OMM, 30% Pharm, 30% Micro, and 20% everything else. Most of the bugs they asked about were in FA, but I did see about 2 or 3 that weren't even in MMRS. There was a serious amount of micro on my exam, and often they didn't give much info on how to identify them. You could probably narrow down the choices to 2 and guess from there. I was asked 1 biostats question with a calculation, but they don't give you a calculator. I also had a few questions on HIPAA and billing codes of all things (CPTs and RVUs). I am hoping those are experimental :laugh:

The OMM was very straight forward. Most of it was thoracic spine diagnosis and autonomic levels. I had maybe 10 or so anatomy questions which did include insertion questions. I had no clue so I guessed on most of those.

The biggest surprise I had was the amount of biochem I had on mine. I'd guess I had maybe 15-20 questions. Five or so were straight pathway questions, the other 10 were genetic diseases/mutations.

If you've prepared for the USMLE, the COMLEX will not be a problem at all. Good luck everyone!!

Sounds like we took the same test. I used USMLE world and comparatively some of the questions on COMLEX were laughable. There was a particular set of 3 questions that I answered all of them in about 4 seconds because they were so simplistic. Those of you asking about the break times cutting into the exam time, don't worry about it, TIME WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE. I finished with about 1.5 hours left in the am and 2 hours left in the afternoon. The longest question stem was only a few sentences.

I had 2 biostat questions one with a simple calculation, and a couple psych with obvious answers. More biochem than I expected, probably 5-6. Micro was as described previously, with only a few scattered details to go on. I had probably 5 fungal, and 5 parasite questions as well, but all were in FA and were pretty classic ones. One tough physio question that I'm hoping was experimental because it was worded in a confusing way. Pharm was heavy, with a lot of mechanisms, SE's and a couple of interactions. Path was easy, plenty of head bleeds and no real toughies. One immuno cytokine question. OMM was straightforward, Savaresse was overkill. Like has been said previously know the ribs diagnosis and muscles used in ME techniques. Had a couple of sacrum, but 30% of the OMM was "pt has disease X, viserosomatic reflex would be expected at spinal level Y" Know the chart in Savaresse and you're golden. Good luck to all.

You guys ROCK! Thanks for all the useful feedback. I'm sure you guys did great. Enjoy whatever time off you have left.

For anyone who has taken comlex & Comsae, are they close in difficulty? What about Combank? I'm so nervous about tomorrow. Any last minute suggestions? :)

For anyone who has taken comlex & Comsae, are they close in difficulty? What about Combank? I'm so nervous about tomorrow. Any last minute suggestions? :)

I took COMSAE Form B and I thought it was pretty similar in difficulty to the COMLEX. I went over some questions in COMBANK via a friend's account and it seemed close as well. You'll do fine :)

Wow! The test was just like everyone said. Even the type of shotgun/hand gun use /wound type question. Lol! But what was with all the Neuro?? I hate Neuro and I think my test was 25-30% neuro. Not the easy stuff, the 1st year hard neuroanatomy stuff. I felt so good going into the test, but now I'm worried. I think I passed, but I was hoping for Derm/ENT scores. BTW....what is considered a good score on comlex for the different specialties? Like is a 600 ok for surgery or do DO residencies really look at scores compared to audition rotations? I know the DO route is very different from the MD route who say don't audition at the places you really want. All the DO residencies I'm looking at say you must rotate to get an interview. Anyone seen any threads on Comlex scores vs. specialties?

Thanks!

Just took the test and wow, all I can say was that was MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than the USMLE that I took a few days ago. Let me try to remember some stuff.

There was a lot of biochem (for the COMLEX anyway) had about 15-20 questions regarding genetics, rate limiting enzymes and stuff. Very simple if you memorize first aid.

No Embryo

No weird anatomy, everything straightforward

20% of my test was OMM and was simple. Visceros, no chapmans, no sacral, a few innominates. Did savarese and some of the stuff he had that no one talked about was in it (the musculoskeletal pathologies like Dequervan, compartment syndrome, random tests like allens, adsons etc)

30% was definitely Micro, know that stuff inside and out and its free points. No real exotic bugs or helminths.

30% was also pharm but so simple. Very 1 step oriented, mechanisms, adverse effects, lots of CNS, microrelated drugs, and cardio stuff. This was easy if you just memorized first aid.

Path seemed to not exist on my test. It was so limited. Very straightforward, not a lot of tricky stuff. Heavy on the repro and endocrine (they are in love with Graves disease). Golijan was OVERKILL.

Physio was limited, a few tricky questions but NO ARROW QUESTIONS.

Maybe 10 to 15 questions on biostats, one calculation. Some psych that was very straightforward. A few weird things about HMOs that no one would get

10 to 15 questions on neuroanatomy. Half of it was very hard, half of it was easy if you crack open the first aid Neuro section.

All in all, studying for the USMLE was the best way to prepare for this test. Do not underestimate biochem (as in skip it and hope for nothing to appear), it is simple so definitely spend a day on it. Good luck everybody!

where is the info about shotgun use/wound type anywhere?

also, do we need to specifically memorize chapman's points or jones points?

It was just one weird question. Don't sweat over it.
I didn't have any chapman's points. Weird.

I took the test today and was similar to what everyone already said. I wish I reviewed how pneumonia, sarcoidosis, pneumothorax xrays look. I got 4-5 questions of them.

no embryo, very little biochem. lots of pharm, micro and moderate amount of path. Much less OMM Qs than expected. more like 15%. I was hoping a lot of OMM question.

Last edited:
Took comlex a couple of days ago!

OMM-Approximately 100 questions and five of them were hard.
Micro-Approximately 100 questions and five were also hard.
Pharm-Mostly from first aid but had 6 or 7 questions that were not in first aid, but I knew the answers
Physio-The rest of my test seemed to be physio related-with alot of endocrine physio, cardio, repro, and respir. physio
Path-Very little path
Behavioral/Psych-behav was easy and so was psych and the psych drugs
Biochem-Prob. 20 questions that were easy but definitely choked on 1.
Neuro-Lots of neuro and bleeds, etc.
Overall thought it was hard, but I have no idea how they grade these things since the omm and micro were so easy so everybody must have gotten them right. guess we will know in a month. good luck everyone:luck:

Took COMLEX Friday.

Embryo: maybe 2 questions
Micro: alot of STDs and pregnancy bugs. Also some more random ones, like rabbit fever.
Pharm: oddly light. I was surprised. Coag, autonomics, psych, neuro, BPH, etc. 1 formula(maintenance dose)
Anatomy: not so much.
OMM: no sacral or cranial. very weird. Mostly levels, some very strange, but mostly doable. A couple of psoas syndromes, a cauda equina, herniated disc.
Organ systems: a ton of repro/pregnancy, GI, Renal, and neuro. A lot less cardio than I expected. 2 EKGs, 1 murmur.
Biochem: mostly diseases, some pathways but were reasonable. Definitely know your heme.
Behavioral: 1 stats, and a few easy psych questions
Path: a decent amount of images. gross, MRI, blood smears.
Physio: average.

One thing that was often was they wanted to know what image or test you would order next, especially imaging. All in all a pretty fair test, but not simple at all.

questions for those who have taken it:

would HY neuro be overkill? seems a lot of people are getting a decent amount of neuro.

do we need to be able to recognize microorganisms from pictures?

would you recommend looking through a path picture book? or are path pics not that important?

Last edited:
Question regarding biochem.

Is biochem section in FA overkill?

I have a table of the biochem-related diseases (what I made when we had the class during 1st year -- dz, enzyme deficiency/defect, description/symptoms and the type of defect (glycogen metabolism, galactose/fructose intolerance, glycolysis, HMP shunt, Vitamin/cofactor-related).

I also have a HY sheet that includes pathways (rt-limiting, insulin/glucagon world enzymes, etc) and diseases as well ... in addition to Goljan 100 pg HY.

Is that good enough or is FA biochem worth reading? I also have HY CMB 1999 edition.

Last edited:
First batch of scores are out!

Does anyone know if there is a report online that has specialty and correlated with ave board scores, etc...I know there is one for allopathic match but I can't find one for the DO match :(

hard to say...questions are so random. You may not have an enzyme question but rather a cell biology question or a collagen formation question, and thus you will have wished you read the FA. I would say Biochem overall was pretty low yield for COMLEX. I took it the other day and maybe had 4 questions.
I plan on writing about my experience for you guys after I get the USMLE out of the way.
d

Question regarding biochem.

Is biochem section in FA overkill?

I have a table of the biochem-related diseases (what I made when we had the class during 1st year -- dz, enzyme deficiency/defect, description/symptoms and the type of defect (glycogen metabolism, galactose/fructose intolerance, glycolysis, HMP shunt, Vitamin/cofactor-related).

I also have a HY sheet that includes pathways (rt-limiting, insulin/glucagon world enzymes, etc) and diseases as well ... in addition to Goljan 100 pg HY.

Is that good enough or is FA biochem worth reading? I also have HY CMB 1999 edition.

That's awesome, how is that only a 90 percentile?

Again a national scoring agency decided to use an ambiguous 3 digit/2 digit score... this is directly from the nbome website.

"
Standard scores (2-digit). The minimal passing 2-digit standard scores for all three written examinations are 75, regardless of when the examinations are taken.

Standard deviations of COMLEX written examinations 2-digit scores are Level-specific and time-specific. For Level 1 examinations given between 1998 and 2001, the standard deviation is 3.55; from 2002 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 3.95. For Level 2 written examinations given between 1997 and 2000, the standard deviation is 4.25; from 2001 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 3.65; from July 2005 to present, the standard deviation is 5.82. For Level 3 examinations given between 1995 and 1999, the standard deviation is 3.70; from 2000 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 4.00."

So my 90 doesn't mean 90th percentile necessarily... there's a score converter on the front page of the nbome and one year a 214 was the 94th percentile, another it was 90%. So somewhere between the two's probably a fair guess. I'll take it :)

That's awesome, how is that only a 90 percentile?

what day did you sit for the exam. i took mine the 15th (june) and (usmle 12th) and it feels like forever ago. since then ive gone on a week cruise, a full day of year 3 orientation and gotten recertified in bls and acls. and now all i can do is wait. :-(

How do we get our percentiles??? The converter tool on the nbome home page is out of date by over a year??

How do we get our percentiles??? The converter tool on the nbome home page is out of date by over a year??

You can't officially get it but you can estimate it by using the outdated stats on the nbome website. It'd probably be a safe bet to say you're within a few percentile points of where the previous few years were.

Last 17 days before the big exam!

Any helpful hints/tips?

I plan to try to go thru first aid another 2-3 times (goal anyway)
Finish up QBank (67% completed so far and only 300 more Qs to go)
Start up Boards Bootcamp QBank and finish
Do a BBC and a COMSAE maybe?

Any and all tips much appreciated!! Thanks!

Last 17 days before the big exam!

Any helpful hints/tips?

I plan to try to go thru first aid another 2-3 times (goal anyway)
Finish up QBank (67% completed so far and only 300 more Qs to go)
Start up Boards Bootcamp QBank and finish
Do a BBC and a COMSAE maybe?

Any and all tips much appreciated!! Thanks!

COMSAE 1 has an error in it. youre going to get a failing score in psych. their key is wrong. im quite sure of it, there is actually a thread about this too. this could be why in their studies, people taking this exam score an avg of 27 points higher on the real thing (if you take the comsae timed)

Hi,
Sorry to recycle this issue but my brain is fried and anxious...
If you finish a section in UNDER 1 hour you don't get extra time for the other 3 section in that 4 hour period?
My friend says, "you can take as long as you want in a section but if you finish early the time doesn't rollover"
Huh? So the timer re-starts after each section?
Say you finish one section in 30 mins...The timer then shows 3 hours for the remaining sections rather than 3.5 hours?

I hear the USMLE's timer shows time as in total time remaining for the day and also a separate timer with time left for the particular section your working on-
with a 2 minute warning system. For the USMLE you CANNOT take more than an hour per section.

Does this all sound right?

COMSAE 1 has an error in it. youre going to get a failing score in psych. their key is wrong. im quite sure of it, there is actually a thread about this too. this could be why in their studies, people taking this exam score an avg of 27 points higher on the real thing (if you take the comsae timed)

Ok, well I may take COMSAE 2 then.

Any other tips?

Ok, well I may take COMSAE 2 then.

Any other tips?

bugs and drugs man. know them cold. theres non normal multiple choice like 10-20 per section. matching and linked questions.
the software is kinda weird. you have this exhibit button which causes the picture/graph etc to pop up in a separate window. the lab values screen is messy, and non searchable like the usmle version, so i might want to have an idea of normals and save some time and frustration. simmons manual for omm is excellent.

Hi,
Sorry to recycle this issue but my brain is fried and anxious...
If you finish a section in UNDER 1 hour you don't get extra time for the other 3 section in that 4 hour period?
My friend says, "you can take as long as you want in a section but if you finish early the time doesn't rollover"
Huh? So the timer re-starts after each section?
Say you finish one section in 30 mins...The timer then shows 3 hours for the remaining sections rather than 3.5 hours?

I hear the USMLE's timer shows time as in total time remaining for the day and also a separate timer with time left for the particular section your working on-
with a 2 minute warning system. For the USMLE you CANNOT take more than an hour per section.

Does this all sound right?

when i took it i thought you just had 4 hours for all 4 sections. i thought time did "roll over". i only recall there being one clock, it started at 4 hours and went down from there. my gf says they dump your extra time between sections. so were not agreeing on this. i never really worried about the clock, i usually finished under time. try check their website or someone else for confirmation.

when i took it i thought you just had 4 hours for all 4 sections. i thought time did "roll over". i only recall there being one clock, it started at 4 hours and went down from there. my gf says they dump your extra time between sections. so were not agreeing on this. i never really worried about the clock, i usually finished under time. try check their website or someone else for confirmation.

haha. you said their website.
omggggggggg i hate that website (which is what got me on the thread in the first place :p).
anyway, i guess if my friend and your gf say they dump your extra mins, that's 2:1 for no extra time.

642/92
uw 100% complete 64% overall in 70s last month before test
qbank 100% complete 72% randoms
comsae #1 615 one month out
Comsae #2 622 one week out

nobody has gotten their scores back yet?

I know people who took the exam in late may/first week of June who got their scores back last friday. I took it on June 8th and I still have not gotten my score back, but I am dying for it!! I am hoping by the end of the week? Does anyone know when we can expect to get our scores? Thanks!!:)

I know people who took the exam in late may/first week of June who got their scores back last friday. I took it on June 8th and I still have not gotten my score back, but I am dying for it!! I am hoping by the end of the week? Does anyone know when we can expect to get our scores? Thanks!!:)

i got an email from nbome today saying that they received a report from the prometric center i took the comlex at saying that the biometric fingerprint scanner was down during our exam. They wanted to know if it caused any delays they should know about and to respond to them by friday. it goes on to say other things but what i got from the email is that this is the first time they are looking at my exam. im assuming they are planning on releasing friday again possibly including my date (june 15th), or mine may get pushed till the week after.