2009-2010 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community?. .(Required; suggested 250 words or less)
2. Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai. (Optional; suggested 200 words or less)

LOR Reqs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never thought I'd want to live in New York, having grown up in a small town in the Southeast. But this school sounds great. Last year's secondary was pretty light, too.

Hi fellow Mt. Sinai applicants. :hello:. Yeah, I filled out essays for last year's prompts. Hopefully they stay the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
another school im applying to that falls under the cateogry no chance in hell :) lol but still would be nice if i did get some love here !

I keep finding a discrepancy in the US News and World Report. I don't know if anyone else has noticed it but US News and World Report lists this school as a public school. I'm pretty sure that's not the case based on the MSAR. Can anyone confirm this?

i am million percent sure this school is private.

i am SO excited about this school! ... but i can't find anything about their secondary on the website. i guess we'll be kept in suspense until the end of june :cool:

For the past 2 cycles their secondary has remained the exact same, i cant imagine it will change much. Luckily its short and pretty easy :)

Has anyone found any in-depth mention of their Chronic Care Team being implemented at their medical school? I've read some about it being a proposed addition to the curriculum, but cannot find info as to whether it has started yet.

Thanks!

got their secondary! seems pretty straightforward.

where you fill in your race, should you just select "other" if you're white but not hispanic?

I got the secondary as well. 2 essays which aren't too bad.

Personal Essay One (Required) (suggested 250 words or less)
What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community?

Personal Essay Two (Optional) (suggested 200 words or less)
Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, I believe so. It says "If no selections match up to your ethnicity within a given racial group, please select "Other".

Seems pretty straightforward....besides the essays there is really not much to this secondary! Just the way we like it.

Are any of you nontrads? I'm not sure how to answer the question 'are there any gaps in your academic record (post-secondary school). I don't have gaps, just graduated last May, took a few more classes last fall and haven't been in school since. Does that count as a gap?

Are any of you nontrads? I'm not sure how to answer the question 'are there any gaps in your academic record (post-secondary school). I don't have gaps, just graduated last May, took a few more classes last fall and haven't been in school since. Does that count as a gap?

That's not a gap. You're fine.

yay more secondaries, oh and mvenus, I have a similar situiaton and i didnt count it as a gap i think its fine...but i seriously wonder if its even worthwhile to do this...they are so going to auto reject me haha...:laugh:

Now THAT'S a secondary invite. Kudos to whoever wrote that email.

What kind of stuff do we write for what makes us special? I am not very comfortable writing this essay where I have to almost say "I am awesome"

Can someone try to save something into one of the two essay boxes and click the submit section button? Every time I try to submit my essays I get a database error page.

Got it to work - If anyone has that problem, it worked for me by typing one letter into each essay prompt and clicking submit then going back and copying the actual essays in.

Last edited:
On the MSSM site they ask for a committee letter or a letter from a sci and a nonsci teacher. Anyone know if they only want two LORs or if submitting additional LORs is acceptable?

Pretty straightforward secondary. The first essay is essential a rewording of "how will you add to the diversity of our school?", right?

Done. Quite a simple secondary, really.

what did you guys find unique about sinai? doesnt seem like they have any unusual or different programs compared to other schools

Pretty straightforward secondary. The first essay is essential a rewording of "how will you add to the diversity of our school?", right?
thats the way i took it, though i dont really have anything good for the why sinai essay...the site doesnt really give a whole lot of info, i guess time to make stuff up :p

Does anybody know how much the Mount Sinai Supplemental App fee is? Thanks!

For these essays that are only 250 and 200 words long..

Do you guys write them intro, body, conclusion style or just in one paragaph?

On the MSSM site they ask for a committee letter or a letter from a sci and a nonsci teacher. Anyone know if they only want two LORs or if submitting additional LORs is acceptable?

I also have this question - if we're not submitting committee letters, do you know how many individual letters they'll allow? It can't just be two...

Ok so i got the email after submitting my 2ndary and it said
Please make sure your letters of recommendation are mailed to our office as soon as possible, as your application package is not complete until these are received.

Recommendation letters and packets should be sent to:

Office for Admissions
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
One Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1002
Annenberg Building, Room 5-04
New York, NY 10029-6574

But they are participating in the amcas lor thing...is this just a mistake and they are probably using the email from last year? Or do we really need to send them in?

They are participating in the AMCAS LOR service... perhaps they are just using the same email from last year

My short essays have 2-3 short paragraphs, but when I copy-paste the essay into the boxes provided it all shows up as one big paragraph. While for one of them it doesn't matter that much, for the other I would really like it to appear as I wrote it. Did anyone encounter a similar problem or know how to get around it?

Thanks!

Can someone please post the secondary app website? I thought I bookmarked it, but now I can't find it anywhere! Thanks in advance!

My short essays have 2-3 short paragraphs, but when I copy-paste the essay into the boxes provided it all shows up as one big paragraph. While for one of them it doesn't matter that much, for the other I would really like it to appear as I wrote it. Did anyone encounter a similar problem or know how to get around it?

Thanks!

i put a blank line between paragraphs. while the review option doesnt show the blank line, html tends to skip them. when they read the app, i belive the blank line will be there.

i put a blank line between paragraphs. while the review option doesnt show the blank line, html tends to skip them. when they read the app, i belive the blank line will be there.

I sure hope so because even the pdf version they sent me doesnt show the line. The transitions seem too abrupt if the blank line doesn't show up when they review. Did anyone call the admissions office to check?

I sure hope so because even the pdf version they sent me doesnt show the line. The transitions seem too abrupt if the blank line doesn't show up when they review. Did anyone call the admissions office to check?

oh ya..space probably isnt there then. i don't think there is anything you can do. maybe add a lot of spaces if you can spare the characters?

Since its already submitted, there is nothing I can do. I either hope they understand or are aware that this is what happens when you have separate paragraphs in the essay.

Anyone else's photo look stretched out on the webpage?

I opened the pdf after submission and my photo is cut off in awkward places...

Should I be concerned or call them up?

It's no big deal.

I think the photos all look a bit weird uploaded online...i wouldnt call them its too trivial...they are not going ot reject becuase youre pic shows a streched out face lol...I would be obvious if that was the case;)

my photo is slightly stretched too. i really don't think that it's a big deal.

just submitted this one! wasn't too bad.

Hey - so I noticed that for the essays it says "SUGGESTED 200/250 words or less". Does that mean its ok to go a couple of words over? Has anyone submitted it, having gone over the word limit, and do you know if it cut off extra words at the end?

Hey - so I noticed that for the essays it says "SUGGESTED 200/250 words or less". Does that mean its ok to go a couple of words over? Has anyone submitted it, having gone over the word limit, and do you know if it cut off extra words at the end?

Mine I believe were slightly longer and it didn't seem to cut them off. You should be able to review your essays before submission so be sure to check then. Good Luck!

how optional is the second essay?

how optional is the second essay?
Anytime a school asks why school X, leaving it blank is a very bad idea imo. I mean you are basically saying i dont have the time or effort to write a paragraph as to why I am going to want to attend here. And if you have nothing to say but BS, why are you applying in the 1st place? Lizzy commented on this a while back she basically said if you fill out an optional essay half ass, why do it at all, and if you want to leave it blank why bother even turning it in?

Status
Not open for further replies.