2009-2010 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but part of what I'm saying is that Halladay pitches in the AL, so it makes some amount of sense that his ERA is higher.

Halladay finishes a game better than anyone in baseball though (led majors in complete games last two seasons, and is currently leading again this year).

Once Lincecum learns how to economize pitches after the 6th inning, so that he can put games away and keep them out of the bullpen's hands, he'll transcend into a very elite group...

And don't try to pin the fact that the Giants are still in the wild-card race solely on Timmy--Matt Cain has also won 12 games and has almost been just as much of a stud :)

i've watched both of them pitch, and while I do agree Halladay is a great pitcher, probably the best in the AL, i haven't seen him dominate a game like lincecum does for the giants (i might be biased though because i live in sf and see him pitch a lot more). every lincecum start is a possible no hitter waiting to happen

Members don't see this ad.

Halladay ERA 2.75 and only 134 K's compared to Lincecum's 2.18 and MLB leading 191 K's. More importantly, Lincecum is keeping the Giants in the NL Wild Card race, while Blue Jays are pretty much out in the AL at this point.

You're talking about a guy who pitches in the AL East and routinely has to face the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays. Nothing against the NL West, but there's really no division in baseball that can match the competitiveness of the AL East. The fact that Doc has such an ERA after playing these teams so many times is a testament to his ability. Also, he's not a strikeout pitcher. He's been successful due to his ability to combine outstanding control with strong movement. He has a K:BB ratio of 6.7:1 which, considering he is not a strikeout pitcher, is absolutely disgusting (roughly 1BB for every 8 IP).

Sorry for taking the thread off course, but I had to chime in on this :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else having problem submitting the payment? it keeps telling me the CVV code is wrong..

anyone else having this problem?
..I used my credit card to pay for my other apps, so pretty sure it's not a problem with the card.

anyone else having this problem?
..I used my credit card to pay for my other apps, so pretty sure it's not a problem with the card.

if it's a submission problem I had the same problem. call the admissions office and they will tell you who to email to get the problem fixed.

so im working on mt. sinai secondary right now and came across this questions: Were there any gaps in time, post-secondary school, of greater than one month duration, except summer vacations, that are not accounted for on your AMCAS application?

Basically, I graduated from college in 2008 and I am applying to med school this cycle. Is this considered as a gap in post-secondary school? Thanks!

so im working on mt. sinai secondary right now and came across this questions: Were there any gaps in time, post-secondary school, of greater than one month duration, except summer vacations, that are not accounted for on your AMCAS application?

Basically, I graduated from college in 2008 and I am applying to med school this cycle. Is this considered as a gap in post-secondary school? Thanks!

Of course. You've been out of school for a year already... that's a gap...

Of course. You've been out of school for a year already... that's a gap...

But I assume robocop hasn't taken any classes since graduation, in which case there's no gap in the academic record... he started and finished without taking time off for one reason or another. I asked this question earlier in the thread and am pretty sure I put that I didn't have gaps in my record.

But I assume robocop hasn't taken any classes since graduation, in which case there's no gap in the academic record... he started and finished without taking time off for one reason or another. I asked this question earlier in the thread and am pretty sure I put that I didn't have gaps in my record.

Agree, same here

does anyone know if sinai is picky about non-science LOR requirements? do you think psyc will cut it? (i've emailed them but they haven't replied) i think i read somewhere that they refused anthro :eyebrow:

whats up with this whole no status update besides through calls?... feel sorry for the secretary... :laugh:

....it specifically says not accounted for in your AMCAS...if you have been working dont put anything, if you have not been doing anything then you need to explain...

I hope that is right because I graduated May'08 too, but obviously my current job is listed on my AMCAS

Members don't see this ad :)
whats up with this whole no status update besides through calls?... feel sorry for the secretary... :laugh:
Haha, apparently I submitted right before their "printer" left for a week, so I've asked the same lady about my status four times now... despite not calling this week. She's been very nice though. :p

Yeah, you should definitely call them and ask about it.

I would guess that Psych would not cut it, but check with them.

At first, they wouldn't accept my letter from my Anthropology professor. The course I took with her was called "Social Theory in Anthropology" and we had discussions and readings from Freud, Marx, and Durkheim.

It's totally not science, so I emailed them the course description and a description of the Anthropology department at my school.

They finally accepted the letter when I emailed that information and said I'd be unable to get a letter to substitute.

Oh yeah, and they were kinda jerks about the whole thing, so use kid gloves...

I got an email back from them..and for future reference, psyc IS considered NON-science for them w00t! saves me a whole lot of grief :rolleyes:

Anyone else a little sad Mt Sinai didn't send interview invites this week? I had my hopes up all week because they began sending invites this week of last year. Oh well.

I got an email back from them..and for future reference, psyc IS considered NON-science for them w00t! saves me a whole lot of grief :rolleyes:

Thanks! You just made my day...now I actually have a Non-science rec :D

Thanks! You just made my day...now I actually have a Non-science rec :D

yah the email made my day too! (and i was having a pretty crap day at work too) i opened it fully expecting it to say YOU FAIL! makes me wanna go to this school even more now

question: when they ask about whether we applied to medical school previously, should I list the couple of canadian schools i applied to last year, or do you think they're only asking about US schools?

Just to clarify:

After you submitted your secondary, you can't login anymore. The only way to check completion is via phone call (and they do not send an email about it).

Now all that's left is to wait for an interview invite via email?

Correct?

has anyone actually bothered to call and inquire about application status? Have they started giving info about that?

has anyone actually bothered to call and inquire about application status? Have they started giving info about that?
They tell you if you're complete or not, that's it so far.

Submitted: 7/10. Called this week, and the lady told me to call back next week to see if my LORs were screened to make me complete. I wonder what took em so long.

Submitted: 7/10. Called this week, and the lady told me to call back next week to see if my LORs were screened to make me complete. I wonder what took em so long.

Anyone know when they start sending out interview invites?

i am trying so desperately to not let myself get attached to any one school... but i LOVE mount sinai beyond belief. i am praying for an interview... :xf:

i am trying so desperately to not let myself get attached to any one school... but i LOVE mount sinai beyond belief. i am praying for an interview... :xf:

Oh gosh, i know what you mean! I'll be the first to admit that there are several schools I applied to mostly because of the name/reputation,because their stats matched mine, etc....but I 100% applied to Mount Sinai because I LOVE everything about it and I feel like it's perfectly suited for me!

Hey All,
I handed in my supplemental and had recs and MCAT cleared and I received an email saying my secondary was in and fee was paid but I never received a "Complete" email. Did you guys receive a "Complete" email.

Thanks a lot,

Hey All,
I handed in my supplemental and had recs and MCAT cleared and I received an email saying my secondary was in and fee was paid but I never received a "Complete" email. Did you guys receive a "Complete" email.

Thanks a lot,

No such email.

Hey All,

Thanks a lot,

nope, you have to call 212-241-6696 Monday or Wednesday from 1-3

Hey All,

Thanks a lot,

Did you seriously copy and paste this in every single thread for the schools you applied to?

Did you seriously copy and paste this in every single thread for the schools you applied to?

Haha ok..glad it wasn't just me. I could've sworn I had just read this in another thread...

Yea thanks, good to know that I have a non-science rec now too!

So I'm applying MSTP and I just learned that Mount Sinai requires 3 letters from research mentors. I've worked in the same lab for 2 years and then this summer at an internship, so that's 2. What am I supposed to do about this?

So I'm applying MSTP and I just learned that Mount Sinai requires 3 letters from research mentors. I've worked in the same lab for 2 years and then this summer at an internship, so that's 2. What am I supposed to do about this?

Call/e-mail the school, explain the situation, and see if they can waive the requirement.

nope, you have to call 212-241-6696 Monday or Wednesday from 1-3

Do they actually want all applicants to call for updates, or will we be getting any kind of emails, hopefully soon?

I guess I read those limited days and hours as "if you feel the need to call, only do it at this time," but now it is starting to sound like we are supposed to call...

Anybody?

Do they actually want all applicants to call for updates, or will we be getting any kind of emails, hopefully soon?

I guess I read those limited days and hours as "if you feel the need to call, only do it at this time," but now it is starting to sound like we are supposed to call...

Anybody?

I submitted a few weeks ago and called today to see if I was complete. Apparently it was not since they did not receive a printed copy of my letters of recommendation. The woman I spoke with said she could print them out for me since they got an electronic copy via AMCAS and told me that I would be complete next time I called. So it sounds like I could have been complete a lot sooner if I had called earlier. I thought that was kind of annoying and I am wondering if they expect all their applicant to call. Why do they need a print out of our letters if they get them electronically? And why do they ask applicants to send paper copies of their letters if they get them through AMCAS anyway? It makes very little sense to me... Anyway, just a heads up to the rest of you.

I submitted a few weeks ago and called today to see if I was complete. Apparently it was not since they did not receive a printed copy of my letters of recommendation. The woman I spoke with said she could print them out for me since they got an electronic copy via AMCAS and told me that I would be complete next time I called. So it sounds like I could have been complete a lot sooner if I had called earlier. I thought that was kind of annoying and I am wondering if they expect all their applicant to call. Why do they need a print out of our letters if they get them electronically? And why do they ask applicants to send paper copies of their letters if they get them through AMCAS anyway? It makes very little sense to me... Anyway, just a heads up to the rest of you.

What does that mean that she will now print them out for you? Why would we have to call to get that done? Shouldn't this be automatically done by the school?

Something pretty ****ed up about this process, at this school, if this is the case...I guess I will call them next Monday.

haha I got the exact same response today. Verbatim.

Does adverse only really mean family death / diagnosed depression / personal debilitating surgery / etc.?

I'm talking about the adverse circumstances question.

There is no question like that on this secondary

There is no question like that on this secondary

It is a simple yes/no question. Didn't put yes so I don't know if an essay box shows or anything. In any case, submitted! This place looks great.

It is a simple yes/no question. Didn't put yes so I don't know if an essay box shows or anything. In any case, submitted! This place looks great.

a box does show up if you click yes. i know this because i clicked yes, thought about it, changed my mind, clicked no, and submitted :oops:

Does adverse only really mean family death / diagnosed depression / personal debilitating surgery / etc.?

I'm talking about the adverse circumstances question.

It could be any sort of adversity that affected you greatly. I clicked yes and I wrote a short essay about the size of their other essays explaining it.

Can someone who's completed this please answer a few questions:

Is there anything I need to send via snail mail to MSSM? I know, I can always call them tomorrow, but it's easy to ask you guys too. :) Do I need to send the LoR's via snail mail? I think, judging by the e-mail they sent me, that I do. Can anyone confirm this?

Can someone who's completed this please answer a few questions:

Is there anything I need to send via snail mail to MSSM? I know, I can always call them tomorrow, but it's easy to ask you guys too. :) Do I need to send the LoR's via snail mail? I think, judging by the e-mail they sent me, that I do. Can anyone confirm this?
I did mine through AMCAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.