2009-2010 Temple Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

1. What are your plans for the current year- June 2009 until June 2010? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

2. What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine? You also have to write about why you choose one of their 4 clinical sites as your number 1 option. (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

LOR Reqs

Applicants also are asked to have recommendations forwarded from their undergraduate premedical committee, a school compilation service, or two (2) individual science faculty. If you are submitting a compilation packet or individual letters, two (2) letters must be from Biology, Chemistry, or Physics professors with whom you completed course work. Students are welcome to submit additional letters to support their application. Applicants who have enrolled in masters or doctoral programs should have additional references submitted by faculty from such programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
no love for Temple, huh? I guess i'll get in if no else applies! :laugh::laugh:

im applying...I just never get around to bumping the thread. Considering they are one of the few 10K+ schools i doubt youre the only one :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying here as well. I heard their new medical building is kick ass.

I'm applying.... anyone know when to expect secondaries?

So quick news. So I was just reading the Temple website, and it claims that secondaries will be sent out on July 2nd for this year for Temple.

"Application acknowledgement emails for verified 2010 applicants will be sent July 2nd."

Seems like we'll be working on secondaries also during July 4th weekend. :(

Woohoo! I'm applying here as well.

But I can assure you, I will be doing nothing but drinking on July 4th... Well, maybe blowing some things up and eating grilled burgers as well... :shrug:

i think the school does well financially in comparison to jefferson and drexel because of their clinical side that attracts the northeast and other areas.

i wouldn't be surprised if temple ups their accepted gpa/mcat #s this year. recently, they have been pushing for all around increases in admission standards throughout the different schools

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the school does well financially in comparison to jefferson and drexel because of their clinical side that attracts the northeast and other areas.

i wouldn't be surprised if temple ups their accepted gpa/mcat #s this year. recently, they have been pushing for all around increases in admission standards throughout the different schools
Up their numbers? Blasphemy. You hush now!

thanks for letting me know i just wasted my money applying :scared:

I looked at the secondary from last year. now I don't know if I should even apply there.

What is up with choosing a site for 3rd and 4th year and expaining why? how the hell we OOS applications supposed to know where we want to do our clinicals and WHY:eek: ?

I looked at the secondary from last year. now I don't know if I should even apply there.

What is up with choosing a site for 3rd and 4th year and expaining why? how the hell we OOS applications supposed to know where we want to do our clinicals and WHY:eek: ?

So they have a bunch of sites for doing their clinicals that you have to choose. When I did my interview there, they told me that you can change your selection before you receive your decision from them. I honestly just chose to go to the Temple SOM site since I didn't want to move. haha During your interview, they explain to you the different sites. You can surely look it up online, or even just call them. They're really nice on the phone.

hey all... i'm an incoming ms1 in the fall so i just did the whole mcat/app/interview/longassssssssss wait for decisions this past year. if you have questions ill be happy to help!

I wish there was a character limit on the essays!

can you guys post the questions please?

What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)
[They ask for your top choice for clinical campuses and want you to include why it's your top choice in this essay, too]

What are your plans for the current year- June 2009 until June 2010? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

LOR Requirements:
Narrative recommendations from a Pre-professional Advisory Committee, a compilation packet from a school letter service, or two (2) individual science letters are required. If you are submitting a compilation packet of letters or individual letters, two (2) letters must be from Biology, Chemistry, or Physics professors with whom you completed course work. Faculty in these disciplines that supervised research activities will not fulfill the science letter requirement. Students are welcome to submit additional letters to support their application. Applicants who have enrolled in masters or doctoral programs should have additional references submitted by faculty from such programs.

What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)
[They ask for your top choice for clinical campuses and want you to include why it's your top choice in this essay, too]

What are your plans for the current year- June 2009 until June 2010? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

thanks

Thanks!

LOR Requirements:
Narrative recommendations from a Pre-professional Advisory Committee, a compilation packet from a school letter service, or two (2) individual science letters are required. If you are submitting a compilation packet of letters or individual letters, two (2) letters must be from Biology, Chemistry, or Physics professors with whom you completed course work. Faculty in these disciplines that supervised research activities will not fulfill the science letter requirement. Students are welcome to submit additional letters to support their application. Applicants who have enrolled in masters or doctoral programs should have additional references submitted by faculty from such programs.

LOR Requirements:

How firm are the LOR requirements... I have science letters, but they are from calc, stat, and kines teachers, not from bio, chem, or physics...

i know calc qualifies as science, not sure about stat/kines

Stat is definitely considered science, but that wasn't my question. It specifically says the science letters have to be bio, chem, or physics, rather than just any two science letters... this is what I'm concerned about.

Stat is definitely considered science, but that wasn't my question. It specifically says the science letters have to be bio, chem, or physics, rather than just any two science letters... this is what I'm concerned about.
like most questions its best to call them as each individual applicant is different. Your situation is somewhat unique thats your best bet.

hey all... i'm an incoming ms1 in the fall so i just did the whole mcat/app/interview/longassssssssss wait for decisions this past year. if you have questions ill be happy to help!

what's your suggestion for the word limit on these essays?

like most questions its best to call them as each individual applicant is different. Your situation is somewhat unique thats your best bet.

Good idea :) I called, and they said if the science letters are part of a committee letter from your school, then they won't scrutinize the exact sources of those letters. So I'm good to go! :thumbup:

Anyone else having problems saying why you want to go to a particular place for your clerkships? I mean how should i know which of the 4 hospitals i want to be at? The best i could come up with was saying i like temples main one as im interested in internal med and GI, and they have a special GI program there...but who knows if ill be in GI 4 years from now...also i feel like med schools dont want you to say you want to go into any particular specialty....

Could someone post the address to which your Dean's letter must be sent regarding institutional action? The address no longer appears once you confirm it.

Anyone else having problems saying why you want to go to a particular place for your clerkships? I mean how should i know which of the 4 hospitals i want to be at? The best i could come up with was saying i like temples main one as im interested in internal med and GI, and they have a special GI program there...but who knows if ill be in GI 4 years from now...also i feel like med schools dont want you to say you want to go into any particular specialty....

ahh i have no idea which one i wanna do either! if you have an interest in one specialty its a pretty good reason to chose the related hospital in your essay =)

what is the big difference between the four anyway?!

on the first page it says we take applicant with higher stats specially if they are oos and doesnt say anything about disadvantaged/etc.. i dont have a good feeling about this one :cool:

argh is anyone having trouble with putting their essay in? i copy paste my essay into the block and then save. then on the actual page,the essay was repeated like 1000x times and it doesnt indicate that it is saved!

I have one letter from Biology and one letter from Pathology..
Suprised that Temple doesn't consider Pathology as science letter. too bad

Submitted.:)
blue wth did you write for the why X clinical site...i mean im so lost, i think what i wrote is so crappy and maybe not even true? lol. I just kinda went with my 1st impression...i hope they arent expecting much from this essay

Anyone else having issues logging in...I just entered my log in stuff and heres what i got...

Element USERSTATUS is undefined in SESSION. An unexpected error occurred.

Please provide the following information to technical support:
Error Event: onRequestStart
Error details:

Now everytime i go to the temple page that is all that shows up....

Last edited:
blue wth did you write for the why X clinical site...i mean im so lost, i think what i wrote is so crappy and maybe not even true? lol. I just kinda went with my 1st impression...i hope they arent expecting much from this essay

Anyone else having issues logging in...I just entered my log in stuff and heres what i got...

Error details:

I just chose the main Temple center, and talked about all the things about cancer, GI, neurosciences, and random stuff from the website.

And I can log in fine.:shrug:

Wthh!! Why can i not submit this application.

is there huge differences between the 4 campuses that we have to chose from?

im having a hard time ranking them =/

is there huge differences between the 4 campuses that we have to chose from?

im having a hard time ranking them =/

I don't think it matters that much. It seems really silly to make us choose a place for clerkships right now.

I don't think they take our answers as seriously as we are assuming. I mean, from the information on the websites, you really can't compare the four hospitals except that this hospital has these and these specialties and the other ones don't.

So one of the sites is really close to where I live... do you think I should just pick that one and say I want to be close to home? I seriously don't know which of the 4 sites I would want to go to right now and I feel like they can't expect too much of an answer based on the info they have on the site

So one of the sites is really close to where I live... do you think I should just pick that one and say I want to be close to home? I seriously don't know which of the 4 sites I would want to go to right now and I feel like they can't expect too much of an answer based on the info they have on the site

I think that's fine. I really don't think they take our answers that seriously.

what's your suggestion for the word limit on these essays?
long enough to get your point across but concise enough so your reader doesnt fall asleep reading it

Error details:

i think i just browsed the websites for each campus and made my decision that way... they are a bit different from each other in terms of their location and the population they serve etc etc i think. meh.

I think the ranking of the clinical sites is only taken that seriously if you have some connection to them. Take me for example, I was born in one of the clinical sites, had major surgery at the same site, and completed my EMT training at the same site. If you're OOS, I think it is more a question of your thought process in selecting a site than anything else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.