2009-2010 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.

Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class.

Question 3: Please list and provide a brief description of medically related experiences (paid or volunteer) in which you have participated over the past 5 years. Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application? (Optional)

Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school. (Optional)

LOR Reqs

A Premedical Advisory Committee Report is required. If your school does not have a Premedical Advisory Committee, please request individual letters of evaluation from 3 people: 2 academic and 1 of your choice. A fourth letter may be sent from a person associated with a particularly significant extracurricular experience. These letters should come from individuals who can assess your personal (as well as academic) qualities, such as work ethic, reliability, communication skills, leadership, altruism, compassion, and motivation for medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck everyone! For those in-state, be grateful you live in a state with such a great medical school!:cool:

I'm applying to UIowa in-state this cycle, I'm so excited! I'm doing research here this summer, my lab's building (Carver Biomedical Research Building) is actually attached to the main medical school building.

Anyone else applying here? Anybody else from Iowa?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to UIowa in-state this cycle, I'm so excited! I'm doing research here this summer, my lab's building (Carver Biomedical Research Building) is actually attached to the main medical school building.

Anyone else applying here? Anybody else from Iowa?

I'm an undergraduate at Iowa, and applying for the 2010 class. I put in my application yesterday and am pretty nervous.

I work in the general hospital building; I have to walk through the MERF to get to my lab!! It's actually pretty intimidating!

MERF is so nice though! I love their community areas, I could see myself studying there or talking with people after classes and tests. Splitting the class up into 4 groups is a pretty smart idea, and it will make the beginning of first year a lot easier to get to know people.

Any current Iowa med students want to comment on the community system and whether you like it or not?

I'm OOS. Do you guys know how friendly Iowa is to OOS?

I've heard it's pretty friendly, a pretty big proportion of the entering class is OOS each year. About 50 matriculate from an application pool of around 2500 out of staters.

I'm OOS. Do you guys know how friendly Iowa is to OOS?

Iowa is very friendly to OOS students (I was one of them) and I absolutely loved my visit there. Definitely worth making the trip for, even if you live far away. In addition, they have a history of being very generoud with OOS students to get tuition down to IS levels.

underrated research school. they do some sick ****

underrated research school. they do some sick ****

Theve been moving up the research rankings, hopefully the climb will continue! They have nicer facilities than many schools I visited that are ranked higher.

word, I didn't apply last year but I attended a seminar by this HHMI PI from there and he was on his game. Very friendly too. Seemed like such a nice laid back place

Does Iowa screen for secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys just got emails saying that you should hear from them in a couple of weeks? nothing about an actual secondary right?

Did you guys just got emails saying that you should hear from them in a couple of weeks? nothing about an actual secondary right?

yeah. These emails are so annoying. I thought I actually received a screened secondary when I first opened my inbox.

yeah. These emails are so annoying. I thought I actually received a screened secondary when I first opened my inbox.

I actually kind of like it. because at first I am like "oh crap i have 3 secondaries in my inbox at one time! that means lots of essays tonight!" and them i am relieved when i realize i dont have to do anything! haha

Last edited:
I too got the screening email today. I wish my state school was a little more selective for instate students, but oh well.

I too got the screening email today. I wish my state school was a little more selective for instate students, but oh well.

You're from Clear Lake? I'm from the North Iowa area, Grafton actually. I went to school in St. Ansgar, and I have roommates from Mason City and Osage. :thumbup:

You're right about in-state though, it's not terribly difficult to get in with residency. There just aren't that many of us. MSAR says 321 IS residents applied, 260 were interviewed, and 99 matriculated. Pretty solid odds.

I got an email this morning as well...I'm an out of state applicant who has actually been living in Iowa for a year in July.

why is the prompt up in the secondary thread. did someone recieve the secondary already?.. just curious, i only applied yesterday :)

I looked at the prompt but I think its for the wrong school...I think its the University of Illinois prompt.

This secondary is so frustrating.

Argh!

EDIT: Is anyone's supplemental prompt #3 not saving?

Last edited:
Yes, another screened secondary received! Iowa!

I got the secondary too! That makes 3 today for me!

Hooray for screened secondaries as an ego boost! 29O 3.7 OOS here. Have hope.

anyone has trouble saving an answer to Question 3?

no matter what I type in that box it disappears as I hit "save"

What a beast. Can barely read the tiny letters. I feel like I'm filling out a FAFSA or something.:laugh:

anyone has trouble saving an answer to Question 3?

no matter what I type in that box it disappears as I hit "save"
Yeah I emailed them. We should have an answer by tomorrow unless one of you geniuses can figure it out before then. Copy/paste doesn't work and typing doesn't work.

What a beast. Can barely read the tiny letters. I feel like I'm filling out a FAFSA or something.:laugh:
Seriously. I was filling it out during the hottest part of the day too so this app drove me insane.

On the Additional Information page, do you think it looks bad to leave it blank? I mean I can come up with something that I left off AMCAS if I really stretch, but I don't want to set off their BS meter. Is anyone else leaving it blank?

Yeah I emailed them. We should have an answer by tomorrow unless one of you geniuses can figure it out before then. Copy/paste doesn't work and typing doesn't work.

thanks

On the Additional Information page, do you think it looks bad to leave it blank? I mean I can come up with something that I left off AMCAS if I really stretch, but I don't want to set off their BS meter. Is anyone else leaving it blank?

I don't think that it is necessary unless you have done something very amazing recently like saved a few babies from burning buildings... Jokes aside I think they say on the page that they don't want you to submit something that is insignificant.

I don't think that it is necessary unless you have done something very amazing recently like saved a few babies from burning buildings... Jokes aside I think they say on the page that they don't want you to submit something that is insignificant.
:thumbup:

Just got mine...im getting tired of writing essays!...why can't they all be essay free like the first few i got?...Thank goodness i dont have to do the last two essays! haha i saw 3 req. and 2 opt. i automatically assumed it was "optional" but that they really wanted you to do it so i was delighted to see it was n/a to me!

I wonder what their screening criteria is....

Seems like alot of us are getting the secondary.

Not that any of us don't deserve it :).

I wonder what their screening criteria is....

Seems like alot of us are getting the secondary.

Not that any of us don't deserve it :).
Their website says "minimum requirements" which is a 2.5 GPA and I'm not sure about the MCAT.

For part D question 3, it says if you answered yes to question D1 fill out your activities for the last three years, so if we aren't Iowa residents we don't have to do that??? That seems nice.

:confused:

For part D question 3, it says if you answered yes to question D1 fill out your activities for the last three years, so if we aren't Iowa residents we don't have to do that??? That seems nice.

:confused:

I just said no on that part and that was it... I think they are making sure that you had connections with the state throughout the summer months if you claim residency. Probably for people that went to undergrad there, and it wasn't their home state.

Do you think it would be ok to copy/paste description of my health-related activities from AMCAS?

anyone care to share the secondary questions with shemarty so they can be updated (from u of illinois')?

On this secondary for course requirements, does hours mean credits?
So, my 4.00 credit physics class would be 4.0 sem and not 1.0 sem b/c it was a 1 semester class? Sorry this is probably a stupid question but I am just having a mind blank after doing secondaries all day.

On this secondary for course requirements, does hours mean credits?
So, my 4.00 credit physics class would be 4.0 sem and not 1.0 sem b/c it was a 1 semester class? Sorry this is probably a stupid question but I am just having a mind blank after doing secondaries all day.

it would be 4.0 sem

What do we put in the "to" and "from" date for AP credit in Part C, Course & Degree Requirements under the "Final application" part? I entered college in fall 2005, so for my AP classes, do I put "to: 08/2005" and "from: 08/2005"? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.