2009-2010 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is no secondary application for Indiana University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am the first to post on this :luck:. I don't think they have a secondary :D

anyone know how oos friendly these guys are? I always hear they are very unfriendly but the msar seems to contradict this...:(. I always wondered if i should add this school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Their website says they give OOS students with in-state ties greater consideration so those people might be driving the percentages up.

Hi all!

As far as I know, IU doesn't have a secondary. They just send you a form asking for your letters of recommendation...which are sent by AMCAS anyway.

Is anybody here doing early decision this cycle? I'd be interested to find out the stats of EDP applicants since I'm doing that this cycle.

Cheers and good luck to all! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Does anybody know about how long it takes IU (or took IU last year) to send out secondaries. Should we expect something as soon as the 24th itself, or should we give it a week or so?

I just received an email from IU, see below. There is NO secondary, yayyy!! :)

Indiana University School of Medicine has received your AMCAS application. Indiana University School of Medicine does not have a "secondary application." The Admissions Committee will review your AMCAS record and you will be notified in writing if your application is eligible for further consideration and interview.

I just received an email from IU, see below. There is NO secondary, yayyy!! :)

Indiana University School of Medicine has received your AMCAS application. Indiana University School of Medicine does not have a "secondary application." The Admissions Committee will review your AMCAS record and you will be notified in writing if your application is eligible for further consideration and interview.

Me too. So nice not to have yet another secondary to write.

Are you guys all from Indiana? I heard they don't like oos too much. Lots of people told me not to apply here...

Me too. So nice not to have yet another secondary to write.

Hi all. I received the above message as well. Good luck to all this cycle. Any idea how long it will take for them to review / send interview requests?

i think they tend to lean towards instate students more than other public universities mainly b/c IU is the only med school in indiana and they want to keep the doctors instate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that IU starts looking at applications on June 24th. Is that true only for EDP applications or the general pool too?

Does anyone know how soon they send out letters for interviews for EDP applicants?

I heard that IU starts looking at applications on June 24th. Is that true only for EDP applications or the general pool too?

Does anyone know how soon they send out letters for interviews for EDP applicants?

I'm thinking they do just EDP first, then move on to the regular pool.

It's true. For the class of 2008, they accepted 262 in-state and 46 OOS. You can see their stats here:
http://www.medicine.iu.edu/documents/factSheets/current.pdf?oTopID=1346

Good luck to everyone applying this year! :)

You know, your post brings up a good point. While it's true that IU overwhelmingly favors in-state applicants, the fact that they accept so many people (300+ per year) gives lots of spots available to out-of-staters too. I mean, isn't that 46 number alone actually greater than the entire entering class for Mayo? :laugh:

Has anyone received IU's interview invite mail yet?

i thought their email said that they do not have a secondary

anyone know if u can get instate tuition after the 1st year or so of school?

I just got rejected. Oh well!

Whoa... people are getting rejections from IU already? I didn't know they were THIS biased against OOS applicants.

rejection 1st thing this morning...my own fault really, i should've done more research to see that CA-residents shouldn't even bother applying...

I am very sorry for those rejected already... Did you have your LORs in before they rejected you guys?

i suppose the LoRs were already in, because they are sent through AMCAS and I had my LoRs into amcas and everything verified about 3 weeks ago

has anyone received anything besides a rejection to Indiana?

I don't think so... I'm beginning to feel stupid for getting excited about not being rejected already. Just watch, now I'll wake up tomorrow to a rejection email
:smack:

I don't think so... I'm beginning to feel stupid for getting excited about not being rejected already. Just watch, now I'll wake up tomorrow to a rejection email
:smack:

Think positively, it is the only way we are all going to make it through this in one piece. :luck:

i only got confirmation that they received my AMCAS (6/25). no news so far. maybe this is a situation where no news is good news?

i only got confirmation that they received my AMCAS (6/25). no news so far. maybe this is a situation where no news is good news?

Probably. My guess would be that they're taking their time right now to invite all the EDP applicants to interviews and give them a couple of weeks to respond before contacting anyone else.

Probably. My guess would be that they're taking their time right now to invite all the EDP applicants to interviews and give them a couple of weeks to respond before contacting anyone else.

I am an EDP applicant and I have not heard anything from them yet.

Hi all, anybody get anything back from Indiana yet?

I got an email saying that they received my application and I can't look it over because it got deleted from my computer when it crashed... I forget - do we have to pay a fee to have our app looked over? FREAKING out here, I dont believe that i have paid a fee..

I just received some materials from IUSM today. It does not say that I have been called for an interview, but includes a bunch of forms (including Dean of Students eval form) and the application fee ($50) that I need to send back asap. I am not sure what this means - do they need this information prior to deciding about the interview or is this the first step to an interview?

Was this snail mail or an email from indiana?

Snail mail.

It was a packet with a cover letter, "Dean Of Students Evaluation" form, "Legal Disclosure" form, an envelope to send the $50 application fee, "Change of Address" form, IUSM Application Information booklet and a "Technical Standards for Admission & Retention in Medical School" letter.

None of this was addressed to me (personally). The cover letter was addressed as "Dear Applicant". Thats why I am not sure if this means I am one step closer to the interview or not!

Reactions: 1 user
i applied to IU and i know they don't have a secondary. i'm oos but have strong ties. how am i supposed to relay that information to them?

Snail mail.

It was a packet with a cover letter, "Dean Of Students Evaluation" form, "Legal Disclosure" form, an envelope to send the $50 application fee, "Change of Address" form, IUSM Application Information booklet and a "Technical Standards for Admission & Retention in Medical School" letter.

None of this was addressed to me (personally). The cover letter was addressed as "Dear Applicant". Thats why I am not sure if this means I am one step closer to the interview or not!

According to IUSM's admissions website: "Dean of Students Evaluation: To be completed by the Dean of Students, or by the office which maintains student disciplinary records on your undergraduate campus. Please do not refer the form to an academic dean unless he or she meets the above criterion. The Dean of Students Evaluation form is not part of the AMCAS Letters of Evaluation/Recommendation program. The IU School of Medicine Admissions Office will provide the Dean of Students Evaluation form to applicants the Admissions Committee selects to interview."

This sounds like an invite for interview is imminent :)

Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.