2009-2010 Mercer University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

this may be a stupid question but is Mercer taking part in AAMC this year? I cant find their school on the medical school list in the AMCAS applications. im just curious if anyone else can apply to mercer

this may be a stupid question but is Mercer taking part in AAMC this year? I cant find their school on the medical school list in the AMCAS applications. im just curious if anyone else can apply to mercer

They are not simply because they only take in-state applicants, just like East Carolina. Then again, I'm not really from there and this is just inferred - too much verbal, hahaha.
Please, someone correct me if I'm completely wrong on this. :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply early decision, but I kinda wish that I had. Did you get the secondary already?

I've gotten the secondary already even though I didn't apply EDP. Are you guys filling out the last essay question? If so, what kinds of things are you including/think should be included?
I don't really have any clue what to explain. I didn't do well my freshman year, but I don't want to make excuses. What else would you write about though?

Last edited:
I'm applying edp. I was waitlisted last year and had to wait to get my new MCAT scores on 7/21/09 so I just submitted my Amcas last night. I hope I'm not too late. Anyway, can someone post the secondary questions or send them in an email to me? [email protected]

Thanks and good luck!

I have applied to Mercer EDP and was waitlisted at Mercer last year as well. The secondary app. was identical to last year's app. so the questions are the same.

There doesn't seem to be very much activity on this thread. Has anyone applied to Mercer EDP and been invited for an interview yet?

There doesn't seem to be very much activity on this thread. Has anyone applied to Mercer EDP and been invited for an interview yet?

I haven't been invited for an interview yet. I wonder if the Admissions Committee has even had a chance to make interview invites yet? It's still pretty early in the application process...

I got an interview invite last week that is scheduled for Sept. 1st. Anyone else have an invite yet?

I got a invite for a interview the 25th of August. When did they call you?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got an interview invite, what were your MCAT scores if you don't mind me asking?

I got a invite for a inverview the 25th of August. When did they call you?

I got called on Wed. Of last week but missed the call. I finally got the actual interview scheduled on Fri. of last week. Are you interviewing in Macon or Savannah?

My MCAT was a 27 and I am going to Macon for me interview

Did y'all who've gotten interviews apply EDP? I'm assuming they probably want to get y'all covered before they move on to the RD people. I have been complete there for over a week, so I'm getting a little anxious that I haven't heard anything. But I'm RD, so that could explain it...

Nevermind, I called the office, and Ms. Coleman said that they won't look at complete RD files until October, after the ED people have been contacted.

My MCAT was a 27 and I am going to Macon for me interview

I'm going to Macon for my interview too. Is this your first time applying? I thought my interview last year was pretty laid-back.

My interview was laid back too. This is my third time applying and second time having a interview. Did you do EDP last year? Who did you have an interview with last year?

My interview was laid back too. This is my third time applying and second time having a interview. Did you do EDP last year? Who did you have an interview with last year?

I actually don't remember who I interviewed with, I was waitlisted last year and took the mcat again to improve my score. How are you preparing for your interview? I'm basically just reading over some general interview question websites...

I got a invite for a interview the 25th of August. When did they call you?

I have an interview on the 25th as well. I will be interviewing in Macon so I'll see you there!

Hey guys,

I'm a MS1 at Mercer now (c/o 2013). PM me if you need any questions answered about Mercer. We start classes on Monday so I may be delayed in my answer.

Hey guys,

Do you know if they are still making interview calls for EDP? I applied EDP and had all of my info sent in over a month ago. I submitted my AMCAS app as soon as they allowed submissions and I submitted my secondaries from Mercer within two days of receiving them. I found out a few weeks ago that AMCAS had not sent a physical copy of my app to Mercer and my app packet had not been processed by Mercer because they had not received physical copy of the AMCAS app. I finally got it all fixed, but I am worried about how all of these mix-ups, that were none of my doing, will affect the whole process. I still have not received an interview call and I am getting very worried. My MCAT was only a 24, but my GPA from Mercer (college of liberal arts) was a 3.9 (major in Bio with minors in Chem and Psych). I will also receive my EMT certification in a month. Does that sound comparable to any of your apps? I probably just need to chill, but I know this is what I am called to do... and I'd like to get started! Thanks!

Hey guys,

Do you know if they are still making interview calls for EDP? I applied EDP and had all of my info sent in over a month ago. I submitted my AMCAS app as soon as they allowed submissions and I submitted my secondaries from Mercer within two days of receiving them. I found out a few weeks ago that AMCAS had not sent a physical copy of my app to Mercer and my app packet had not been processed by Mercer because they had not received physical copy of the AMCAS app. I finally got it all fixed, but I am worried about how all of these mix-ups, that were none of my doing, will affect the whole process. I still have not received an interview call and I am getting very worried. My MCAT was only a 24, but my GPA from Mercer (college of liberal arts) was a 3.9 (major in Bio with minors in Chem and Psych). I will also receive my EMT certification in a month. Does that sound comparable to any of your apps? I probably just need to chill, but I know this is what I am called to do... and I'd like to get started! Thanks!

It may be best to talk to someone at the admissions office, they would probably be able to answer your questions better than any of us.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

If you haven't received a call about an interview then don't worry. They are conducting interviews all the way through the end of September. I was told that they will be calling people to set up interviews up until mid September. If you haven't received your secondary information then definitely check with them. That is all due by the end of August and you have to get a judge to sign the residency form, so don't wait until the last minute. They will send you an email saying that they have your completed application, so look for that after sending in your secondary information.

It sounds like you will get an interview. I got an interview last year with a lower MCAT than yours. I brought it up this year to a 27 so I am giving it another shot. Mercer is really looking for someone who fits their mission statement. You need to make sure you have some shadowing (they prefer primary care in a rural area) to prove that you know what you are getting into. The majority of people who apply EDP get an interview at Mercer. I was told by the Dean that just under half of their class was accepted EDP last year. I think it was 40 of the 90 students. So just make sure that you get confirmation that your completed application was received. Good luck.

If you haven't received a call about an interview then don't worry. They are conducting interviews all the way through the end of September. I was told that they will be calling people to set up interviews up until mid September. If you haven't received your secondary information then definitely check with them. That is all due by the end of August and you have to get a judge to sign the residency form, so don't wait until the last minute. They will send you an email saying that they have your completed application, so look for that after sending in your secondary information.

It sounds like you will get an interview. I got an interview last year with a lower MCAT than yours. I brought it up this year to a 27 so I am giving it another shot. Mercer is really looking for someone who fits their mission statement. You need to make sure you have some shadowing (they prefer primary care in a rural area) to prove that you know what you are getting into. The majority of people who apply EDP get an interview at Mercer. I was told by the Dean that just under half of their class was accepted EDP last year. I think it was 40 of the 90 students. So just make sure that you get confirmation that your completed application was received. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! They have all of my information and my secondaries are complete. It was just the physical copy of the AMCAS app that was slowing everything down. I have shadowing experience with a general practitioner who works in the town where I live, and I have tons of EMS clinical hours with emergency/ambulance systems in rural areas of GA. Hopefully I will get a call! Good luck to you too!

Does anyone know if Mercer might consider looking at a composite MCAT score? (Meaning the best score from each section from all tests)

I doubt it but I am seriously hoping this because I messed up big time in verbal, which is usually my highest section

Does anyone know if Mercer might consider looking at a composite MCAT score? (Meaning the best score from each section from all tests)

I doubt it but I am seriously hoping this because I messed up big time in verbal, which is usually my highest section

I'm in a similar boat so that would be interesting.

How's everyone doing with the ethics question? I don't really have one involving medicine, but I have one with a job I used to have. Just wondering what your thoughts were. Good luck!

I think the admissions committee looks at each application on an individual basis. It might be a good idea to call the admissions office to ask.

I don't think Mercer uses the composite MCAT score. I was told last year that no matter how many times you take it, they just look at the highest score. This might not be completely accurate though. Mercer is really good about looking through your entire application, so if you are close to another candidate then your composite score might nudge them out. An interviewer last year said that he did not give his approval to a person with a 34 and a 3.7 gpa, because he didn't feel like his overall application was strong. So don't be discouraged if you don't have the best numbers. Make sure you have a strong overall application that fits into their mission statement. I hope this helps.

I got called today for an interview on the 3rd of September in Macon! Good luck everybody and thanks for the encouragement before!

I spoke with my pre-med advisor today and he said that the voters on the admissions committee usually have all your scores and take a vote on whether or not some scores from different tests will be considered. Hope that helps.

I'm in a similar boat so that would be interesting.

How's everyone doing with the ethics question? I don't really have one involving medicine, but I have one with a job I used to have. Just wondering what your thoughts were. Good luck!

I didn't use a medical example for this question either. I think it's good to show off the other things you're involved in. Making them a significant part of your application shows them that you're dedicated to other things besides just getting into med school. My $0.02.

I didn't use a medical example for this question either. I think it's good to show off the other things you're involved in. Making them a significant part of your application shows them that you're dedicated to other things besides just getting into med school. My $0.02.

Not a bad idea. I stuck with that for my answer on that one. I would imagine they want some variety every now and then with applications ;)

I agree. I was told that most medical schools (especially Mercer) are looking for well rounded students. People with a good background story and life experience are better candidates than students who only focused on school. I also didn't use a medically related topic.

I am interviewing on Tuesday (EDP). Any advice on what sorts of questions to expect from those of you who have interviewed at Mercer before?

Best of luck to everyone!

I am interviewing on Tuesday (EDP). Any advice on what sorts of questions to expect from those of you who have interviewed at Mercer before?

The best thing I could suggest is to be yourself and read over your AMCAS application. They can probably tell when you're too rehearsed.

I interviewed last year and didn't get any tough questions. They asked me about my research, staying in Georgia, and just chatted with me in general. It is an open file interview so expect to get questions about your application. A lot will depend on which campus you interview at and which interviewers you get. The interview feedback section on this website is pretty good. People describe their interview and the questions they were asked. You should check that out.

How did all the interviews go yesterday? Any tips I should know about?

How did all the interviews go yesterday? Any tips I should know about?

The interview day went well. Everyone seemed to feel good about their day from what I could tell. Health Care Reform seems to be a hot interviewing topic so I'd have a good answer prepared for that. Good Luck tomorrow!

The interview day went well. Everyone seemed to feel good about their day from what I could tell. Health Care Reform seems to be a hot interviewing topic so I'd have a good answer prepared for that. Good Luck tomorrow!
Thanks for the heads up.

I have an interesting problem with the residency form. I am a student at an out of state university, but maintain my Georgia residency. Since classes have already started it will be nearly impossible to make it there and back ~12 hour drive on a weekday. Does anyone know if I can get this form approved by mail?

Edit: I just got my secondary and this form today otherwise I would have taken care of this earlier.

I can't imagine your scenario is terribly unique. I'm sure they have a way to deal with the issue without forcing you to appear in person. I know that's not particularly helpful, but don't fret about it.

I can't imagine your scenario is terribly unique. I'm sure they have a way to deal with the issue without forcing you to appear in person. I know that's not particularly helpful, but don't fret about it.
I'm giving them a call tomorrow to see if we can work this out, but if they can't offer any solutions I'm going to be on the road for a little while on Friday.

Interviewed today in Savannah. The first interviewer asked my opinion on health care reform and the second quizzed me on physiology. I interviewed in Savannah last year and they were a little more relaxed. I guess it just depends on the luck of the draw.

Good luck scottkx28!

Interviewed today in Savannah. The first interviewer asked my opinion on health care reform and the second quizzed me on physiology. I interviewed in Savannah last year and they were a little more relaxed. I guess it just depends on the luck of the draw.

Good luck scottkx28!
I felt like my interviews went well. I mainly got questions about my application, why I want to be a physician, and if I want to stay in GA. My interviews were relaxed this year, but I agree that it is the luck of the draw.

Thanks and good luck as well.

Hey Guys!

I have an interview on Tuesday. What do you guys suggest I do to prepare? I've been reading over SDN and the usual stuff, but I wanted to know what you guys would think. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.