2009-2010 University of Nevada Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

This school just contacted me to get information about my alaska residency...anyone else been contacted?

This school just contacted me to get information about my alaska residency...anyone else been contacted?

Yes, same thing a few weeks ago. I sent them a bunch of scanned stuff (OK for now but they will need hard copies eventually) on 7/9, and haven't heard anything since.

did you grow up in AK? I moved here a couple years ago from Seattle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, same thing a few weeks ago. I sent them a bunch of scanned stuff (OK for now but they will need hard copies eventually) on 7/9, and haven't heard anything since.

did you grow up in AK? I moved here a couple years ago from Seattle.

Yup I grew up in Alaska. Homer for 10 years then Anchorage. I go to school in AZ now though. What brought you to AK? Did you go to high school in alaska?

Yup I grew up in Alaska. Homer for 10 years then Anchorage. I go to school in AZ now though. What brought you to AK? Did you go to high school in alaska?

My husband grew up in Soldotna! We met at school in Washington but then his job wanted to transfer him to Anchorage and pay for the move, and since I got a job in my field, we decided why not? So far I like it here, but I am excited to leave if it's go back to school!

My husband grew up in Soldotna! We met at school in Washington but then his job wanted to transfer him to Anchorage and pay for the move, and since I got a job in my field, we decided why not? So far I like it here, but I am excited to leave if it's go back to school!

haha crazy! there are so many people up here that came here on a whim...at least you guys had jobs! what fields do you guys work in?

Received a rejection letter from them July 6. :( It was worth a shot.

Was it an early admission? At least you tried. Good luck!!

Nevada doesn't take any oos applicants, i remember calling them before i submitted my amcas and they pretty much told me not to bother ;)

Nevada doesn't take any oos applicants, i remember calling them before i submitted my amcas and they pretty much told me not to bother ;)

yeah...i didn't call so I didn't know. a waste of free school.

I was told that they don't review the application before they receive MCAT score.. My MCAT is on Aug 25 which means score won't be released until end of September.. So I won't be getting my Secondary until October??

Does anyone know?

Did everyone get that email about how we need to send transcripts bc they supposedly dont receive them from AMCAS? How would every other school except U of Nevada get our transcripts if they dont? I really dont want to send another copy bc I am poor! :(

Did everyone get that email about how we need to send transcripts bc they supposedly dont receive them from AMCAS? How would every other school except U of Nevada get our transcripts if they dont? I really dont want to send another copy bc I am poor! :(

I did not get that email, but last week I got one asking me for the full course descriptions for a couple of psych classes I took freshman/soph year.

maybe they do not care about my transcript cause they are just over it... and done with me... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone PM me the secondary prompts? I'd like to update the first post and the secondary application thread. Thanks!

?? Unless I'm missing something (like connections it has with other states) the MSAR tells me it takes a decent amount of OOS

So did anyone else get the secondary? Can't wait to tackle this beast, though it looks like there is a lot going into proving residency. So excited I got something from them!!!

where are all the nevadans at?

Interview invite!!...woot woot..super excited. again...where's my nevadans at?

Here's one! Congrats on the interview!

I'm still waiting on getting verified (I filed my AACOMAS way early but decided a bit late to file AMCAS as well).

I just got an interview! Does it matter whether I have it in Reno or Las Vegas?

All the OOS are Nevada residents (graduated from a Nevada High School) or part of WICHE.

I'm at UNR, I will probably apply to UNSOM next year. Good luck everyone!

They take a few AK and ID people also, so I applied... had to send all my residency info for AK back in July, then clarify the content of a psych course in August, and I haven't heard anything since.

Any other OOS with interviews yet?? I really hope to hear soon, whether I get an interview or not, so I can stop thinking about it!!

People with interviews to UNSOM:
First of all, CONGRATS!

When is the interview scheduled for?

What are your stats that got you an interview?

Has anyone had their interviews yet? If so, any tips?

Got my interview invite just the other day!!! So excited! Won't be until November, but I'll let everyone know what it's like when it's over. Anyone else get one yet?

Interview invite! OOS. :)

Does anyone have a link to last year's UNR secondary thread, to get details on interviews?

Interview invite! OOS. :)

Does anyone have a link to last year's UNR secondary thread, to get details on interviews?

Did you get an email?? Hopefully they'll be some more AK invites going out... I know there's at least me and Sleight who also applied.

When's your interview?? Good luck!!

Did you get an email?? Hopefully they'll be some more AK invites going out... I know there's at least me and Sleight who also applied.

yeah hopefully they keep passing them around!! i could use an interview invite right about now...lol

yeah hopefully they keep passing them around!! i could use an interview invite right about now...lol

They still never asked me to verify my residency or transcripts...so I called the office. They told me that they don't need it and have not reviewed my file yet. It was weird, oh well. They also said they typically take 1 AK resident a year....:oops:

This school is kind of weird.

They accepted my friend off the waitlist in AUGUST. As in 2 weeks before school started...

He didn't go cause he got in somewhere else..but thats so bizarre they waited so long. He was an AK resident by the way

This school is kind of weird.

They accepted my friend off the waitlist in AUGUST. As in 2 weeks before school started...

He didn't go cause he got in somewhere else..but thats so bizarre they waited so long. He was an AK resident by the way

thats pretty normal to accept people that late (at least for some schools)...one school i interviewed at said that they were calling people on the waitlist the first day of orientation because people didnt show up that were supposed to be there...crazy...

Just got the secondary and can I just say that I wish schools would stop asking about our courses and activities since they are on our primaries already? It takes so much energy to rewrite them...i know its not a huge deal but it is an annoyance especially since i only have adobe reader and cant save the file...

OOS (Alaska) just got the secondary. Does anyone know what % of people who get the secondary are interviewed???

:laugh:

Sorry i shouldn't have said %, I was looking for like most, half, almost all, etc...

just wondering... they say I have to take another psych class and I'm not going to unless there's a good shot at an interview/acceptance.

:laugh:

Sorry i shouldn't have said %, I was looking for like most, half, almost all, etc...

just wondering... they say I have to take another psych class and I'm not going to unless there's a good shot at an interview/acceptance.

Everyone that gets the secondary gets interviewed (I know this sounds weird but that is how it is, I talked to Cathy the other day about it!). As long as you turn in All of your secondary stuff, provide sufficient info about your residency, and whatnot they will send you an interview invite (According to Cathy)

Sorry I took so long to reply. My interview is November 10th-- guuuhhh I'm so nervous-- and it was surprising to get such an early interview date. Admissions emailed the interview invite, shortly after I sent my secondary via snail mail (early October). My stats are 3.75/33/AK resident.

A current student told me that UNR's interview style is pretty relaxed. It's a one-on-one interview with a professor, and then one with an M2. I'm pretty excited about staying at Circus Circus for $34. :D

It seems to be an awesome school, and a great fit for Alaskans.

Has anyone else received invites? PM me! I'll definitely report back to SDN to tell you how it goes :) Send some prayers in my direction on Tuesday!!

Sorry I took so long to reply. My interview is November 10th-- guuuhhh I'm so nervous-- and it was surprising to get such an early interview date. Admissions emailed the interview invite, shortly after I sent my secondary via snail mail (early October). My stats are 3.75/33/AK resident.

A current student told me that UNR's interview style is pretty relaxed. It's a one-on-one interview with a professor, and then one with an M2. I'm pretty excited about staying at Circus Circus for $34. :D

It seems to be an awesome school, and a great fit for Alaskans.

Has anyone else received invites? PM me! I'll definitely report back to SDN to tell you how it goes :) Send some prayers in my direction on Tuesday!!

I am excited for you! I haven't gotten the invite yet but I sent my secondary in last week so hopefully it will come soon! I stayed at the Circus Circus there once like 7 or 8 years ago for a volleyball tournament!

Definitely let us know how it goes!

GOOD LUCK!!:luck:

Just got my invite today. I am going to be in Las Vegas for Thanksgiving and on December 18th so I asked if I could interview in Las Vegas and they said I could. My only concern is that I wouldn't get the whole experience (but it would save me 400 dollars on a plane ticket and I would be staying with my fiances family so there is no cost for a hotel)...I figure if I get accepted I can take a trip to Reno (I have already been to the city once) and visit the school. Has anybody heard of other people interviewing in Las Vegas and how the interview day is? I feel like it is ONLY two interviews, no sit down talks or anything...

Any thoughts?

Just got my invite today. I am going to be in Las Vegas for Thanksgiving and on December 18th so I asked if I could interview in Las Vegas and they said I could. My only concern is that I wouldn't get the whole experience (but it would save me 400 dollars on a plane ticket and I would be staying with my fiances family so there is no cost for a hotel)...I figure if I get accepted I can take a trip to Reno (I have already been to the city once) and visit the school. Has anybody heard of other people interviewing in Las Vegas and how the interview day is? I feel like it is ONLY two interviews, no sit down talks or anything...

Any thoughts?

Congratulations, Sleight! I'm excited for you. We're getting lots of AK love from Nevada now. :)

Anybody know how we are supposed to update UNR about new activities etc? Email or paper?

Does anyone know how many interviews are given at UNSOM, and what the acceptance rate is for those interviewed? I just received an interview, but I don't want to waste my time or money....

Also, did anyone get an extension on the secondary deadline?

I heard there are still about four applicants for every one spot available.

Anyone else interviewing on January 22nd?

First acceptance letters go out on Friday. Please somebody post when you hear something!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.