2009-2010 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Why are you applying to West Virginia Unverisity School of Medicine? (1/2 Page)

Give an example of a volunteer or community service activity that has helped to define your character? (1/2 Page)

One Sunday afternoon in your first year of medical school you are studying for your biochemistry test. This is your fourth out of five tests and you can flunk this test and still pass the course. A group of very good friends calls and tells you that they will be in town only for tonight and they want you to spend the evening out with them. What do you do and why? (1/2 Page)

What has been the biggest challenge you have had to overcome this far in your life? (1/2 Page)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
has anyone gotten a secondary from this school yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
1st rejection, pre-secondary!

The letter said it was because I won't be finished with pre-reqs before Dec 09. That's a nice way to get rejected.

The letter said it was because I won't be finished with pre-reqs before Dec 09. That's a nice way to get rejected.

That is not good... I may get this rejection too then :scared:. Unless they count my combined lab...

Do they notify for secondaries via email?

Similar type of rejection. Seems like they're pretty caught up on some details that other medical schools are more relaxed about.

Similar type of rejection. Seems like they're pretty caught up on some details that other medical schools are more relaxed about.

Yeah for sure. I had to call up there and email the lady a ton to get all of my stuff sorted out to avoid this rejection. In the end I ended up being okay though. They are ridiculus with their Pre-reqs and are not flexable at all.

I got the secondary today. They only give you two weeks to complete it. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the secondary today. They only give you two weeks to complete it. :eek:
Just got it too.

Prompt:

Why are you applying to West Virginia Unverisity School of Medicine? (1/2 Page)

Give an example of a volunteer or community service activity that has helped to define your character? (1/2 Page)

One Sunday afternoon in your first year of medical school you are studying for your biochemistry test. This is your fourth out of five tests and you can flunk this test and still pass the course. A group of very good friends calls and tells you that they will be in town only for tonight and they want you to spend the evening out with them. What do you do and why? (1/2 Page)

What has been the biggest challenge you have had to overcome this far in your life? (1/2 Page)

So if I have a committee doing a pre-med report rather than the three letters thing, do I still need to make them submit that standard recommendation report even though the letter is already on AMCAS? I know it says specifically to make sure you do the community one.

I have a few questions about this application.

1. Where do we write the esssays? I can't find a text box to write them in on the application, so do we just type each one in a separate Word document and print them off?

2. I have read about their recommendation letter process, but I'm still kinda confused about how they want these letters sent. In my case, I have 5 letters (2 from science profs, 1 non-science, 1 research and 1 volunteer coordinator). My university's letter service has made a packet of these and has uploaded them to AMCAS/Virtual Evals. Does this school require something else, meaning is there another step I have to take to send them the letters?

3. For the required science professor in my major recommendation letter I am going to use my research professor (from my major) who I have only taken research for credit with. Do you think this should fulfill this requirement?

I think you just type your essays in word and send it by mail.

I have a question: I am an out of state applicant (Tennessee resident). I applied to this school becasue they accept quite a few out of state students and school stats are closer to mine. When they ask for any ties to WV, I am not sure what to write. I don't have anything. Should I just say that or do I leave it blank? I am sorry if this has been addressed already.

I think you just type your essays in word and send it by mail.

I have a question: I am an out of state applicant (Tennessee resident). I applied to this school becasue they accept quite a few out of state students and school stats are closer to mine. When they ask for any ties to WV, I am not sure what to write. I don't have anything. Should I just say that or do I leave it blank? I am sorry if this has been addressed already.

I would just say none or something. I know people in the 08-09 thread comment on this. I thankfully, have tons of ties as I grew up here and have tons of family in morgantown, but now I am a Missouri resident.

I have a few questions about this application.

1. Where do we write the esssays? I can't find a text box to write them in on the application, so do we just type each one in a separate Word document and print them off?

2. I have read about their recommendation letter process, but I'm still kinda confused about how they want these letters sent. In my case, I have 5 letters (2 from science profs, 1 non-science, 1 research and 1 volunteer coordinator). My university's letter service has made a packet of these and has uploaded them to AMCAS/Virtual Evals. Does this school require something else, meaning is there another step I have to take to send them the letters?

3. For the required science professor in my major recommendation letter I am going to use my research professor (from my major) who I have only taken research for credit with. Do you think this should fulfill this requirement?

I emailed the lady about this. You just need to get the person who is the author of the communications letter that they want to fill out the communication evaluation thing. Just submit the rest through AMCAS and they will accept them. :)

Honestly, if you have questions, just email Beth Ann McCormick. She replies really fast and is quite helpful.

Does everyone who gets the secondary get the interview? The email that I got almost implies this...

Swweett. Received my secondary a few days ago:oops:

The lady at the admissions office told me that it was very probable that if you get a secondary that you will get an interview. Do you think this only applies if you have strong ties to WV? I definitely have no ties whatsoever, but I just sent my secondary.

Last years thread seemed to indicate that even people without ties were granted interviews and acceptances. But as already said, the secondary email almost implies an interview...

Last years thread seemed to indicate that even people without ties were granted interviews and acceptances. But as already said, the secondary email almost implies an interview...

Here was the exact words that I heard.

"We send the Secondary Application only to those we want to interview but we have chosen, in the past, to not interview someone after seeing their secondary information. This occurs on rare occasions and not very often, so you should be fine."

So to me, this means we get an interview unless we absolutely suck on the application.

eck ok so i have to have a science prof rec that isn't in my major? Crap, I have 2 biology prof and a 1 humanities with additional letters sent in a university packet....this sucks and I graduated in 2008 so no hope there!

What? If you have 2 science letters and some additional (community) letters you should be okay. What are you worried about here?

well it says a science letter other than your major (biology)...so I assumed they mean like I need a letter from a chemistry or physics prof...did I read it wrong?

I don't know I didn't read that because my school does committee letters. There are people from Chem, Bio, Physics, and humanities on that board. We just send that one, and it works. I feel for you guys that have to get individual letters from everyone.

Yeah well I'm just confused and don't know if should apply. My school does the university packet of letters using VirtualEval and there are waiver and eval forms with it but there is not a committee letter so I don't know if it falls under their rec guidelines:

Call or email them. They are really good about answering questions.

I am still a little confused about the letter. If I have 1 bio, 1 physics, and 1 econ letter will I still need the 'Communication Evaluation' or will I be OK with those three?

thanks!:)

The lady at the admissions office told me that it was very probable that if you get a secondary that you will get an interview. Do you think this only applies if you have strong ties to WV? I definitely have no ties whatsoever, but I just sent my secondary.

Did you write anything for the WV ties section or did you just leave it blank?

How long did it take you guys to get the secondary after your primary went out? I'm nervous because last year I got a secondary but between school and work I didn't make the two week deadline and am hoping they don't hold that against me this year. My primary was sent out July 23rd.

Did you write anything for the WV ties section or did you just leave it blank?

I just wrote that I am not a WV resident and have no ties to WV. Watch this will make me one of those rare people who don't get an interview after getting the secondary here.

Anyone else take the June 18 MCAT and get the "pending scores" email from WVU a few weeks ago? I improved to a 35 this year, so I was kind of assuming that I would at least make the initial screening, but it's been a little over 2 weeks since I got the "hold status" email and I still haven't heard anything. Does this mean I likely got screened out?

I am on hold here for MCAT scores too... I took one on May 28, but I indicated on my AMCAS that I was taking it again. (Which I did on July 31.) So now I'm playing a waiting game... It sucks. Any advice?

Hey guys just wanted to let all of you know that I am an MS1 starting next monday at WVU and I was an OOS applicant from the state of georgia from last years cycle. If any of you have any questions directed toward the application process with WVU or my experiences so far (like i said orientation is on monday for MS1's so all i can really help with is application questions.) feel free to ask me here. I'll do my best to answer them.

has anyone heard back after submitting their secondary? Does anyone know how long it should take?

I just made a big mistake, am i screwed? I had to make a small correction in the secondary which i submited to morehouse, however, I accidently sent in to west virginia e-mail because they were very similar. It was a small paragraph on a general question "why primary physician?". As soon as I noticed that i sent it to the wrong e-mail, I immediately wrote another asking them to disregard my previous e-mail. Anyone know what i can do in this situation?:scared: maybe call in the school?

The people in student services are on vacation this week and early next week b/c we're starting orientation. If you send an email now or if you sent one right after you sent the wrong email, you'll be fine. They'll get both of them on the same day. The only problem i could possibly see is if in the email you mentioned how badly you want to go to morehouse. That could hurt. :oops:

Are you from Georgia?

The people in student services are on vacation this week and early next week b/c we're starting orientation. If you send an email now or if you sent one right after you sent the wrong email, you'll be fine. They'll get both of them on the same day. The only problem i could possibly see is if in the email you mentioned how badly you want to go to morehouse. That could hurt. :oops:

Are you from Georgia?

It was acutally a correction for a answer "why you want to practice primary care?" The only place i mentioned morehouse was the file name that i sent them. The name of the file was "Morehouse correction". Other than that it was just on why I want to practice primary care. It was like a small 5 lines paragraph.:(

I am from New York.

Ok you should be fine then as long as you answered the same question similarly in the WVU app. I still would email WVU and tell them to disregard the email. I'm from Georgia so I was just wondering. Best of luck to you!

Ok you should be fine then as long as you answered the same question similarly in the WVU app. I still would email WVU and tell them to disregard the email. I'm from Georgia so I was just wondering. Best of luck to you!

Yea, immediately after i sent the e-mail to WVU, i wrote another asking them to disregard, but yea i will definity call them on monday. Thankyou for the replies! Apprciated it:)

Yea, immediately after i sent the e-mail to WVU, i wrote another asking them to disregard, but yea i will definity call them on monday. Thankyou for the replies! Apprciated it:)

Not a problem at all. If you call monday be sure not to call Beth Ann's office line unless you want to leave her a message.. she's on vacation until Tuesday and it generally takes her a few days to get to all the voicemails. I would either wait until Tuesday to call and speak with her, since she is the one who will get the emails, or you can try the main office monday and have the secretary leave a note. Student services office number is (304) 293-2408.

Does anyone know if WVU accepts the Fee Wavier for the secondary fee?

I still haven't received an email regarding an interview. I sent the secondary in on 7/29. Did anyone else send the application in around that time and still not heard back from them?

Hey guys just wanted to let all of you know that I am an MS1 starting next monday at WVU and I was an OOS applicant from the state of georgia from last years cycle. If any of you have any questions directed toward the application process with WVU or my experiences so far (like i said orientation is on monday for MS1's so all i can really help with is application questions.) feel free to ask me here. I'll do my best to answer them.

Hey there! I am an applicant from Georgia! Would you mind telling us what your stats were? I'm not sure if I've got a good shot or not... I'm on hold right now for my new MCAT scores coming out September 1. (My first score was a 27.) So I haven't even gotten a secondary yet... Just wondering what you thought of the application process at WVU! Thanks so much.

Kelsey

Status
Not open for further replies.