2009-2010 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else already applied to MCG as EDP?

I applied EDP to MCG on 6/2..
Haven't submitted the letters yet, though.
did you EDP to MCG as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied on June 3rd as EDP.
Did not get the secondary yet.
Do you know whether MCG look at the LOR with secondary application
or do we have to submit LOR in order to get secondary?

Sup fellas,

I applied to MCG via EDP last year and was accepted. If they do it as they did last year, don't expect a secondary until the end of June or early July. Secondly, I don't think that the admissions committee sends any invites, for interviews, until ~August 8th. Interviews are generally given about a week in advance.

Last year, MCG had the most EDP applicants in the history of the school (~215), interviewed ~110, and accepted 70 (71 but 1 was a deferral).

Good luck! if you have any questions, feel free to ask them. I'm sure several MCG people (me and a few 2nd year students), will be around to help calm the nerves.

This is last year's thread w/ quite a bit of EDP stuff on the first few pages.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=535759

PS. You two have almost identical scores (3.9/29).

Last edited:
I applied on June 3rd as EDP.
Did not get the secondary yet.
Do you know whether MCG look at the LOR with secondary application
or do we have to submit LOR in order to get secondary?

I'm pretty sure we don't need our LOR to get the secondary.. I never heard of such thing - but I'm not 100% sure..
At least I hope not, since I won't have mine until end of June..

Sup fellas,

I applied to MCG via EDP last year and was accepted. If they do it as they did last year, don't expect a secondary until the end of June or early July. Secondly, I don't think that the admissions committee sends any invites, for interviews, until ~August 8th. Interviews are generally given about a week in advance.

Last year, MCG had the most EDP applicants in the history of the school (~215), interviewed ~110, and accepted 70 (71 but 1 was a deferral).

Good luck! if you have any questions, feel free to ask them. I'm sure several MCG people (me and a few 2nd year students), will be around to help calm the nerves.

This is last year's thread w/ quite a bit of EDP stuff on the first few pages.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=535759

PS. You two have almost identical scores (3.9/29).

Thanks- I think I'll have tons of questions in the future.. haha

Last edited:
Hey there, I'm applying EDP as well, submitted amcas on 6/17 and amazingly got it back verified today. If the past is any indication, this thread will be pretty active--the GA peeps usually have a strong showing--and I'm looking forward going through months of pain, agony, and torture with the rest of you as we start this process :D

Hey guys,

I wanted to wish you all the best of luck.

I was not an EDP, matter of fact I applied a little bit late in the cycle, so if anyone missed the 6/2 submission (Oh Noezzzz!!!) do not sweat it. Just be patient with the process and remain calm and I am sure it will pay off.

Good luck everyone!:luck::thumbup::luck:

DId anyone receive the secondary application yet? Is it coming via e-mail or mail? I know it's only been few days but I hear other schools have already sent it out...

It should come via email. Last year they went out the first week of July, if you were an EDP applicant. Interview invites went out around 8/6

DId anyone receive the secondary application yet? Is it coming via e-mail or mail? I know it's only been few days but I hear other schools have already sent it out...

I do not think AMCAS sent out our applications until June 24th so my guess is that MCG won't send out secondaries until first full week in July. Since this upcoming weekend is July 4th, I guess that we will get the secondaries starting July 6th. Good luck to everyone!

Yeah this waiting game is really nerve racking. Good luck to everyone applying EDP. Hopefully all of us get interviews and acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to MCG's admissions office today. They are hoping to send out secondaries this week, but would not rule out the possibility of sending them out next week.

Good luck to everyone!

Could anyone tell me what some of prompts from last year's application were? Just wanted to get a good feel of what they might ask.

Thanks!

Where do you see yourself in practice (location and specialty) as well as "is there anything else you would like for us to know".

They might have changed it.. no clue. Either way, it's nothing tricky.

fahimaz7,

If you don't me asking, how long was your secondary essay? Did you explain why you wanted to practice in that certain location and why you wanted to take that specialty?

I'd venture to guess that they are ~1,000 characters in size (additional pages if needed). It's really not a big deal.. more of a formality. I don't think my ADCOM member even read my secondary prior to my interview, and I doubt that it made much of a difference on my acceptance.

Apparently the secondary has been delivered via email to an EDP applicant.

Yes, the secondary has been delivered via email.

Question: Under the "Tuition Parent" tab, it list spots that say "Date Began" and "Date End". What exactly are these dates referring to? Thanks for the help.

I assume that they want the dates for which your parent/guardian has resided at the address you provided.

This waiting game is already beginning to suck. I'm working someplace where I'm able to check the internet about a million times a day to see if anything has changed on the secondary's status.

From what I've been told, we'll probably start hearing about interviews around the beginning of August and then decisions by the end of September. This may be the longest 2.5months ever!

Only EDP people have received the secondary so far...right?

I applied RD to MCG. Does anyone know when those secondaries will be out? Also, do we need to notarize a proof of Georgia Residence form, like with Mercer?

I should have applied ED to MCG. I have no idea whether I'll get into any schools:(

I have a question regarding course information on the secondary application... do we have to include AP courses that were exempted/received credit for? I assume that we do.. but just wanted to make sure- if anybody knows for sure...

Thanks and good luck everyone :]

Well, secondary submitted. I guess now we wait for interviews. Anyone know when the interview invites usually start going out?

gongjubabe, if the AP credit is for English, I think you're fine. But, I don't about AP credit for the other course requirements is accepted. I may be wrong though, so don't take my word.

Last year EDP interviews went out sometime in the beginning of August I believe, with the bulk of the interviews taking place in August.

Last edited:
Do we have to send copy of our driver's license and official transcript to MCG along with secondaries or is it optional?

I went ahead and sent a copy of my license because I thought it was required. In the long list of optional documents, some of them were "required". I didn't send the transcript though.

I just spoke with the admissions office--she told me to send them as many of the listed documents as I can, as this is how they confirm your GA residency.

For those who may have passed over the list without realizing it, it can be found under the Tuition Spouse section of the secondary application.

Interviews were from 8/9-9/4. Invites were given a week before the visit.

fahimaz7-

what were the interviews like for you at MCG?

Have they sent out secondaries for regular admission applicants?

Check your emails--I just got an invite for an interview in August! Good luck to all!

I'm an RD applicant and I still havent heard anything. Does anyone know about when we should start hearing back from MCG?

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, when is the date?

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, when is the date?
Unlike previous years (to my knowledge), we're given a choice of days -- mine from Aug 13-21. Pretty nice if you ask me. I remember that last time I had an interview it was like pulling teeth trying to move work/activities around that day.

Last edited:
Unlike previous years (to my knowledge), we're given a choice of days -- mine from Aug 13-21. Pretty nice if you ask me. I remember that last time I had an interview it was like pulling teeth trying to move work/activities around that day.

:soexcited::soexcited:

Check your emails--I just got an invite for an interview in August! Good luck to all!

Congratulations and good luck with your interview! :]

I hope all the interviews don't go out on the same day like the secondaries did?... I dind't get mine today... :(

Oh, one more thing, Hextra, did they send you any kind of confirmation e-mail that you were complete with your secondary application? I was looking through last year's thread and there was a mention of such e-mail..

Last edited:
Oh, one more thing, Hextra, did they send you any kind of confirmation e-mail that you were complete with your secondary application? I was looking through last year's thread and there was a mention of such e-mail..
There was no direct confirmation--in fact, the only thing that updated was my App Status page, and it had the date my secondary was submitted as well as the dates my LORs were received by AMCAS.

I turned in a copy of my license, residency documents, etc, and followed up with a call to make sure they were placed in my file. Other than that, no confirmations were given, and the email was a total surprise. I'd call them just to make sure they have all your stuff (if you haven't already), cross your fingers and hope for the best :xf:

i am applying EDP but have not sent in my application yet because i just got my mcat scores yesterday. im hoping to get it submitted by this weekend. will it hurt me since ive waited to late?

also does anyone know what you need to get accepted early?
i have a 30Q and a 3.58 (coming from a small, fairly difficult liberal arts school)

what are my chances?

So... the secondaries haven't gone out to regular applicants, right???

i am applying EDP but have not sent in my application yet because i just got my mcat scores yesterday. im hoping to get it submitted by this weekend. will it hurt me since ive waited to late?

also does anyone know what you need to get accepted early?
i have a 30Q and a 3.58 (coming from a small, fairly difficult liberal arts school)

what are my chances?

EDP is a high stakes game. There's no telling what MCG is going to do with their additional spots, or what makes them decide between all of their applicants. If you get interviewed, you have ~80% chance of acceptance.

So... the secondaries haven't gone out to regular applicants, right???
Unless someone posts that they've gotten a secondary, the answer is probably "not yet".

If you're absolutely dying to know and need a concrete answer, the people at the admissions office are nice and very helpful. Just give them a quick call 706-721-2725.

First post as a newbie to SDN.
Applied EDP to MCG today after finally getting that PS perfected. Would I have to wait until the LOR is received by AMCAS before I get my secondary app.?

First post as a newbie to SDN.
Applied EDP to MCG today after finally getting that PS perfected. Would I have to wait until the LOR is received by AMCAS before I get my secondary app.?

No, secondary application should come out even w/o LOR, but it's best to turn it in early as possible. To be considered "complete" you need to submit your secondary application as well as your 3 letters. They won't open your file/send interview invites until your letters are turned in.

Good luck!:)

On the secondary app. it asks have I been admitted to a licensed practicing profession. Does working as a licensed EMT count?

Talked with admission and they said it does count.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.