2009-2010 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So when do interview invites start going out for those of us that did not submit EDP?

Members don't see this ad.

A week or so after the last EDP interview. Mid September

To anyone who has had an interview this year, did they ask you questions regarding health care reform? I have tried to be somewhat knowledgeable about the issue but there are so many versions of stories that it is difficult to really know what is going on, so I am very afraid of sounding dumb. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
To anyone who has had an interview this year, did they ask you questions regarding health care reform? I have tried to be somewhat knowledgeable about the issue but there are so many versions of stories that it is difficult to really know what is going on, so I am very afraid of sounding dumb. haha
My interview lasted an hour, with the first half being "typical" interview questions/topics and the second half being all about healthcare reform. I would have rather discussed some other subject, but hey, you play the cards you're dealt.

Because the reform is such a hot issue and because it has major implications on the practice of medicine in our very near future, not becoming at least somewhat aware of what is going on is probably unwise, especially as it can be brought up during an interview. I know what you mean about hearing many different versions of the story, and aside from going through the 1000page document yourself, it's really up to you to find the genuine articles and media that help explain what's going on.

I found that a great place to start is at the base of the cost-of-healthcare problem, and Gawande wrote a superb article a couple of months ago:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande

Start here, and when you understand the "why do we need it?", you'll be in a better position to weed out the "how we can fix it"s from both sides of the debate and determine what you feel is the appropriate solution.

my interview lasted about an hour as well. it wasn't stressful at all. most of it just flowed as a conversation. a few specifics about experiences, classes, etc on my app were brought up. got asked things like what do you like to do? do you have any siblings? what did you liek about shadowing x? what i thought the hardest part about being a physician would be? nothing too dificult.i did not get asked anything regarding health care reform (however all the interviewers are very different- they tell you that the morning you get there for your interview and it is really true) i would really try to not stress out about the interview. as for health care reform stuff..i would definitely know about it, but remember that the reason its such a big debate is because no one really knows what to do about it. know the problems, some proposed fixes, etc but dont feel like you have to give an solution. i was actually a business major in college and discussed health care a lot. even my professors with phds have no idea what to do..just explain things a little bit

Figured I would chime in with a bit of information. Apparently MCG has sent out a few letters that alert applicants (EDP) that they are free to apply to other schools. Last year, these letters went out about the same time that interview invites were over. So, if you haven't had an interview, it might not be a bad idea to call them and see what's up.

The earlier that you can apply to Mercer, the better chance that you'll have.

:)

fahimaz7

You seem to be pretty well informed. Any idea when those of us who have interviewed will hear anything definitive? Thanks!

fahimaz7

You seem to be pretty well informed. Any idea when those of us who have interviewed will hear anything definitive? Thanks!

Generally acceptances and "on hold" letters go out the last few days of September. Don't expect anything before that if you interviewed.

do you think you would prefer the athens or augusta campus if you are accepted?

I don't think we get a choice if we are admitted. We can select a preference but ultimately they send you to a campus. Personally if I get in, I would prefer the Augusta campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
The admission committee is blind to your campus preference. They will not see your preference and thus, will not be able to base admissions on your campus preference.

That is what they told us at the post interview talk.

What would be the advantage of being at the Athens campus? Newer facilities, I guess? I wonder which campus will be more sought after.

What would be the advantage of being at the Athens campus? Newer facilities, I guess? I wonder which campus will be more sought after.
They have renovated an old building to be state-of-the-art, and are also hiring people to be primarily "educators", as opposed to the doctor-teachers found at MCG Augusta. This doesn't necessarily mean you'll be better taught at either of the campuses, just that they're looking to make Athens function more along the lines of a small class-sized school, since that will ultimately be what it is.

lstone13 is correct about campus choice--they try to accommodate everyone's preference, but they will send people to Athens so that the class looks/feels like the class back in Augusta and isn't grossly overrepresented by one group of students or another. Choosing a preference doesn't guarantee you'll be at that campus if accepted.

For regular applicants, do we have to send documents showing proof of residency for our application to be complete?

This is all it says in the application instructions.
Part III: Georgia Residency/Citizenship Information - If you indicated on your AMCAS application that you are a resident of Georgia, you must complete Part III, Georgia Residency Information. A Residency ruling must be made before your application can be processed.

requested document(s)

evidence of the following documentation will assist us in determining whether you qualify for in-state tuition: Although submission of these documents is optional, not providing sufficient documents may hinder the decision process for determining your residency status for tuition purposes.

• copy of georgia driver’s license or georgia id card of you, sponsoring parent/legal guardian or spouse (required)
  • copy of voter registration card
  • copy of georgia income tax return (applicant, parents/legal guardian, spouse)
  • birth certificate
  • permanent resident alien card (i-551) (copy of both front and back of card are needed) (required if applicable)
  • copy of visa (original document must be verified by the admissions office staff before matriculation.)
  • marriage license
  • court papers issuing guardianship
  • georgia income tax return (applicant, parents/legal guardian, spouse)
  • copy of form dd-2058 (required if military)
  • copy of military orders
  • georgia driver’s license or id card (applicant, parents/legal guardian, or spouse)
  • parent or legal guardian moving to georgia because of employment
    (letter from parent’s or guardian’s employer stating reason for moving to georgia. Must be on company letterhead.)

*note: The admissions office reserves the right to request additional documents as deemed necessary. (please do not submit original documents, as they will not be returned to you.)

It is apparently optional to send in anything else

Going to call them

Last edited:
I just spoke with the admissions office--she told me to send them as many of the listed documents as I can, as this is how they confirm your GA residency.

For those who may have passed over the list without realizing it, it can be found under the Tuition Spouse section of the secondary application.
I called them a while back asking about the "optional" paperwork :)

Has any regular applicants not received their secondary yet? Am I the only one? This is my last secondary I need to submit...

Anyone have any idea how many people applied EDP this cycle? I heard a rumor that it was much less than what applied last year but that may be false.

Anyone have any idea how many people applied EDP this cycle? I heard a rumor that it was much less than what applied last year but that may be false.
When I interviewed, the number thrown around was "175ish", and I believe last year the number was around "205ish"

<4 weeks from the news. Are they still sending out EDP interview invites?

Can someone please post the secondary prompts? Thanks in advance!

Interview invite!
Regular decision, secondary submitted 8/12, interview date 10/12

..STILL haven't received the secondary..?? Verified wayy back in early July. I'm an reg decision applicant.. out of state. Anybody else having this issue? This is my last secondary to complete..

..STILL haven't received the secondary..?? Verified wayy back in early July. I'm an reg decision applicant.. out of state. Anybody else having this issue? This is my last secondary to complete..
Easiest way to find out/help retain your sanity is to call and ask politely about the status of your application, or better yet the status of secondaries being sent to OOS applicants. Seeing as how MCG can only accept 5% OOS, it may come as no surprise if they delay in sending them out.

I called just now (bored at work) and she told me the committee is still reviewing the OOS applications that are coming in. So no word yet when you guys will get secondaries :(

Same here

I don't know about out of state, since MSAR says that MCG screens all out of state applications before giving you a secondary. I'm a Georgia resident, so I got mine Augst 13th, got and interview offer today.

Do you know if any out of state have gotten secondaries yet? Good luck!

Do any of you regular decision applicants who got interviews mind sharing your stats??

What are the secondary questions? How likely is someone to get accepted if they have no ties to Georgia?

Do any of you regular decision applicants who got interviews mind sharing your stats??

I'm interviewing October 14th. I submitted my application on August 15th and received interview invite September 8th. MCAT= 35S, GPA=3.8. Hope that helps

What are the secondary questions? How likely is someone to get accepted if they have no ties to Georgia?

The secondary specifically states not to share the questions, but to give you a general idea, it is very detailed in regards to determining your residency to Gerogia.

Where do you see yourself in practice (location and specialty) as well as "is there anything else you would like for us to know".

They might have changed it.. no clue. Either way, it's nothing tricky.
I'm sure fahimaz won't mind if I quote him from an earlier post concerning the secondary questions--I don't think they'd kick him out of med school for it :smuggrin: ... that's not to say these are exactly correct, but they're very similar :)

Can anyone answer the following:

If I submit a committee letter which contains several other letters of recommendations, do I still need to have 2 other personal reference letters? Or is the committee letter packet enough?

Thanks!

Can anyone answer the following:

If I submit a committee letter which contains several other letters of recommendations, do I still need to have 2 other personal reference letters? Or is the committee letter packet enough?

Thanks!

You still need two other personal letters of recommendation. One should be from a doctor or someone in the medical field and the other from someone not related to you (probably also preferred from a medical professional).

You still need two other personal letters of recommendation. One should be from a doctor or someone in the medical field and the other from someone not related to you (probably also preferred from a medical professional).

This is not true. I asked MCG and they told me that if I have 2 individual letters from professors attached to the committee letter, then no additional letters are required. They just want me to email a list of professor names. Since I got an interview here, that means my LOR requirement was met.

Thanks. I already needed to get 5 recs for my committee letter, so trying to find 2 more people was going to be tough.

Just to be clear though, the 2 extra letters can be from professors and don't have to be from doctors right?

MCG does highly recommend that a letter be included from a health care professional. I've been told that by several adcom members in the past.

This is not true. I asked MCG and they told me that if I have 2 individual letters from professors attached to the committee letter, then no additional letters are required. They just want me to email a list of professor names. Since I got an interview here, that means my LOR requirement was met.

Parks,

I thought the same thing, and I called why my application was not complete. Even though I had 3-4 letters from professors, they still wanted 2 more letters outside of your committee letters.

I would highly recommend you obtain a personal letter (not a professor but a community member that knows you very well that can talk about your character and personality) and a letter from a physician.

Parks,

I thought the same thing, and I called why my application was not complete. Even though I had 3-4 letters from professors, they still wanted 2 more letters outside of your committee letters.

I would highly recommend you obtain a personal letter (not a professor but a community member that knows you very well that can talk about your character and personality) and a letter from a physician.

I have already interviewd (applied EDP) and I had a committee letter that had one rec from a physician and three professors and was told that was fine and my application was complete.

For EDPers:
A little birdie told me the admissions committee spent their last session reviewing applicants and will use this week's session to discuss the potential number of seats they will allot for EDPers. Once they commit to a number, they will have [the remainder of this week's and] next week's session to rank each applicant and spit out the results.

2 weeks to go!

I called them a while back asking about the "optional" paperwork :)

So if we got an email saying they're missing GA residency docs, we should send some "optional" documents? Or do we need to send the notarized affidavit from the secondary (from "resources" under "read me")?

So if we got an email saying they're missing GA residency docs, we should send some "optional" documents? Or do we need to send the notarized affidavit from the secondary (from "resources" under "read me")?

i emailed them a scanned copy of my birth certificate, drivers license and tax return

Status
Not open for further replies.