Tmdsas 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cher25

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured that I'd start an allopathic thread for TMDSAS. Please use this thread to post questions and discuss TMDSAS 2010.

I guess I'll start with my frustration... I'm frustrated that the application keeps kicking me out and won't allow me to log in periodically while I'm trying to enter data!

Members don't see this ad.

When I click "login" on the top right of the TMDSAS main page it "can't display the webpage"... is there some other way to register?
This is not a good sign.. haha

When I click "login" on the top right of the TMDSAS main page it "can't display the webpage"... is there some other way to register?
This is not a good sign.. haha

It's doing the same for me and it did the same yesterday around this time. I think it shuts down at around 8 p.m. and doesn't come back up until 8 a.m.

This is quite frustrating for me because around 8 p.m. is when I have time to dedicate towards the app. I guess I'll just have to find a way to do it during the day.

I suppose that all we can do is report this glitch to TMDSAS. Maybe their IT guys will fix it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, how are you all doing? Are you all doing good for your finals?

I have a question about tmdsas/transcript:
So AMCAS doesn't require foreign transcript to be sent to them as long as the oversea school you attended is not sponsored by a US/Canadian college. For tmdsas, it says that those foerign credits won't be used to calculate your tmdsas gpa, but they still want your official transcript to be sent to a verifying agent, and then let the agent to send your verified transcript to the tmdsas.

My question is:
1) If those cr are not going to count as your tmdsas gpa anyways, why they still want to see the transcript and cost me that much troubles to do so?
2) Am I really need to request the transcript from my college in oversea?( I transferred from this college to an TX college a few years ago).
3) Is it just a joke?

-longhorn09

So AMCAS doesn't require foreign transcript to be sent to them as long as the oversea school you attended is not sponsored by a US/Canadian college. For tmdsas, it says that those foerign credits won't be used to calculate your tmdsas gpa, but they still want your official transcript to be sent to a verifying agent, and then let the agent to send your verified transcript to the tmdsas.

My question is:
1) If those cr are not going to count as your tmdsas gpa anyways, why they still want to see the transcript and cost me that much troubles to do so?
2) Am I really need to request the transcript from my college in oversea?( I transferred from this college to an TX college a few years ago).
3) Is it just a joke?

-longhorn09

It doesn't make much sense for them to want them if they're not going to include them. Maybe they just want to be sure that it is actually as you presented it... courses taken that are of no connection with an American school.

Does TMSAS have the same process as AMCAS in terms of submitting our info to the schools? I'm taking my MCAT on June 18th and am not sure if I should go ahead and try to submit my application asap, or if it won't matter since my MCAT will delay the sending of the rest of my application to schools. On the other hand, if schools are able to receive everything else, and review it until my MCAT score arrives in mid-july, it would be worth submitting now.

Does TMSAS have the same process as AMCAS in terms of submitting our info to the schools? I'm taking my MCAT on June 18th and am not sure if I should go ahead and try to submit my application asap, or if it won't matter since my MCAT will delay the sending of the rest of my application to schools. On the other hand, if schools are able to receive everything else, and review it until my MCAT score arrives in mid-july, it would be worth submitting now.

TMDSAS will not delay sending your application to the schools without an MCAT score. They will process your application with or without recommendation letters and MCAT scores and send them to the schools. It is up to the schools to decide whether or not to put your application on hold pending scores.

I'm taking the MCAT on June 18 too. This application is really taking away from my study time! I'm trying to get it done by Saturday so that I can focus on MCAT again! How are you balancing your study/application?

Last edited:
Just tried logging-on to TMDSAS and got the following message:

"The Web server you are attempting to reach has a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the Web site, and the IP address of your browsing computer is on this list."

Very odd...I was able to log-in and create my TMDSAS account on Monday, although I had trouble logging back in yesterday...I had to make multiple attempts, like something was awry with TMDSAS. But never have I before today received the above message.

I sent an e-mail to TMDSAS today because again, while trying to enter my coursework, technical issues kept kicking me out of the system. They replied saying that they too are having the same issues and that I should e-mail interfolio. I emailed interfolio and they said that they are aware and their technicians are working diligently to resolve the problem.

Speaking of interfolio, does the cost of application cover interfolio's charge? Did I spend $20 on an account a few weeks ago for no reason?

Also, since I am using interfolio for other applications other than TMSAS, is there going to be a problem having extra letters in my account that are not meant to be used by TMSAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rach83 - yes, I think that the Interfolio charge is covered, I logged into Interfolio today with my TMDSAS user name and password and I didn't have to pay anything

And I wanted to ask y'all, what are you doing about your picture? Is is supposed to be formal like a school portrait/passport picture? Or can I crop something nice off of facebook?

Rach83 - yes, I think that the Interfolio charge is covered, I logged into Interfolio today with my TMDSAS user name and password and I didn't have to pay anything

And I wanted to ask y'all, what are you doing about your picture? Is is supposed to be formal like a school portrait/passport picture? Or can I crop something nice off of facebook?

I was wondering the same thing. I think that you can crop something so long as it looks professional. Not a pic with a non professional background or with other people in it... but that's obvious LoL

my gpa looks higher when calculated via TMDSAS than what I had thought but I think it's b/c it's lumping in my grad school courses as well. if there are some classes taken within the business school but under a technical discipline like Computer Science/Information Systems, do you think those would fall under "other sciences" ?

Also, it looks like it's classifying A minuses - as A's

my gpa looks higher when calculated via TMDSAS than what I had thought but I think it's b/c it's lumping in my grad school courses as well. if there are some classes taken within the business school but under a technical discipline like Computer Science/Information Systems, do you think those would fall under "other sciences" ?

Also, it looks like it's classifying A minuses - as A's

Yup, all +/- are taken away to calculate your TMDSAS gpa. Also, if you click on "the detailed instructions" link under Colleges and Coursework you'll see that it tells you what classes to put under what category

hey! does neone know whether psychology counts as a science or a non-science class whenever ur entering your courses. and what about human sexuality which is also another psychology class.

hey! does neone know whether psychology counts as a science or a non-science class whenever ur entering your courses. and what about human sexuality which is also another psychology class.

Those particular classes count as nonscience. If you click on the detailed instructions it tells you how to categorize them. human sexuality and psychology would be considered behavioral science which falls under nonscience.

Hope this helps.

I've done the required essay (basically a shortened version of my AMCAS personal statement) - but I'm not sure about the two Optional essays. I could write something I guess, but do students typically fill that section out? Will it be seen as a red flag if (I'm lazy) and I don't write the optional essays?

I wouldn't add either essay just to be adding something. In my case I had a service project I wanted to discuss so I did the first one. I doubt I will do the other.

I've done the required essay (basically a shortened version of my AMCAS personal statement) - but I'm not sure about the two Optional essays. I could write something I guess, but do students typically fill that section out? Will it be seen as a red flag if (I'm lazy) and I don't write the optional essays?

I met with Dr. Kellaway at UT Houston towards the end of April and she specifically mentioned that it is strongly recommended that we do optional essays. I'm sure if you leave it blank that it wouldn't really count against you, but filling it out can only improve your overall application.

not only am I locked out of TMDSAS but therefore I am also locked out of INTERFOLIO.... argghhhhh!!!! and this is only the beginning of the madness...

Hey CyclistOK, what do you think about the two TTECH med schools? Do you think they're worth applying?

I don't really feel like living in lubbock or el paso. Plus, with San Antonio and Galveston as options, I'm not sure there's really a point.

My question is:
3) Is it just a joke?

-longhorn09
Bump!!!

longhorn09 - it sounds like a pain, but it makes sense. You'll probably have to request a transcript from your college overseas. Because even though the credits may not count towards your gpa, if your current institution accepted those credits then I think tmdsas and amcas needs them to see that you have enough credits to graduate on time

longhorn09 - it sounds like a pain, but it makes sense. You'll probably have to request a transcript from your college overseas. Because even though the credits may not count towards your gpa, if your current institution accepted those credits then I think tmdsas and amcas needs them to see that you have enough credits to graduate on time

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it =] BTW, I just gave a call to tmdsas. Contrary to what is written on their website, the lady told me that my overseas credits WILL be counted towards my tmdsas gpa...=[ I think my tmdsas gpa will be around 3.8, while my amcas gpa is 4... Damn!

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it =] BTW, I just gave a call to tmdsas. Contrary to what is written on their website, the lady told me that my overseas credits WILL be counted towards my tmdsas gpa...=[ I think my tmdsas gpa will be around 3.8, while my amcas gpa is 4... Damn!

Your gpa is fine, don't worry! And with tmdsas you have texas resident going for you, I'm assuming, so that plays a big part too :)

Anyone else have any opinions on the photo issue, and if it should be formal or not?

Are the two LORs supposed to be from science professors, or one science one non-science, or does it matter?

Hey all,

If I made a C in a class, retook it and made an A shouldn't my grade be equivalent to taking it once and making a B? I am entering my coursework and it doesn't calculate it that way. It brings my calculated GPA lower than if I were to have just taken it once and gotten a B. I don't know if I'm not understanding something or if I'm doing something wrong.

Don't forget, the A and C average out to a B, so it would calculate it as having two classes with that grade, not just one try with a B. Not sure if that's what you're hung up about.

Don't forget, the A and C average out to a B, so it would calculate it as having two classes with that grade, not just one try with a B. Not sure if that's what you're hung up about.

For some reason I didn't realize it would count it as 2 B's rather than one. Thanks

Last edited:
I understand that they average out to a B. I guess my wording was bad. I entered in both the A and C and then put it in as only a B since it should be equivalent GPA-wise, but it wasn't. It was lower with both the A and C, which is what I'm concerned about.

You would need to put it in as two Bs.

Are the two LORs supposed to be from science professors, or one science one non-science, or does it matter?
If you are just submitting two letters, I would go with two science letters. I can't find anything on TMDSAS that says science v non-science, but if you are applying elsewhere, you will find that most schools require 2 science, and one non-science.

I know at UT, to receive their cover sheet, you had to have at least 2 science. So also, check with your school if you are doing it through them.

Hey CyclistOK, what do you think about the two TTECH med schools? Do you think they're worth applying?
I think, especially TTU in Lubbock, is definitely worth applying to. People who have interviewed there, have raved about it. Everything-faculty, facilities, curriculum, etc. And I know a lot of people who were really excited about TTU-EP. I say there is no harm in paying the extra $20 or $30 to apply, and then determining if it's right for you after you get an interview.

If you search through some of the old Republic of Texas threads, or even post in there with questions, there are lots of students who would be able to help you out. :)

Edit: While looking through the old ROT thread for the picture post, I noticed I already gave my $.02 about this to you longhorn09. Sorry for the repeat :laugh:

Last edited:
Your gpa is fine, don't worry! And with tmdsas you have texas resident going for you, I'm assuming, so that plays a big part too :)

Anyone else have any opinions on the photo issue, and if it should be formal or not?
Sticking with a professional look would be better. A head shot, so the top of your chest and up. If you take your own head shot and print from Walgreen's, you can get wallet size pictures printed out on a 4x6 photo. So one 4x6 sheet gives you 4 2x3 pictures-the perfect size and really cheap compared to passport photos.

I took it with a digital camera and it came out looking just like a passport photo, with that extra inch (passport photos are 2x2). I just took it against a plain white wall. :thumbup:

if you traveled to Europe in the summer just for fun..would u add that to leisure activities!??

see in the old application I would have put in under chron. of events. but this new tmdsas make u add it as a separate event! lol there was no educational exp. apart of my trip...it was just fun/visiting family that live in europe.

also, do u think it would hurt my add if i had no "non-health care related activities" i have only really volunteered at hospitals. do u suggest that just go out and find something non-health related ?

ok can someone explain this to me. From what Ive read on TMDSAS it seems that they want you to have the LOR forms filled out by your letter writers( in addition to the LOR) but I already have my LOR filled out and ready without these forms. Should I bother my letter writers and have them fill out these additional forms? Please can someone explain to me what I should do?

yes i think you need those forms...unless u are doing a committee letter. it is annoying to have to ask them to do it but better now than later where it will delay your application

How many have submitted the app already? Are the secondaries (for the schools that have them) the same as last year?

Spring 2009 grades must be reported before you can submit your application. If you did not take Spring 2009 coursework, you can submit as early at May 18th.
Seems like you can submit now, but with the problems they are having I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Last edited:
I'd wait till this Thursday before submitting anything. That's the day they hope to get all the errors worked out in the system.

this system can't even find the University of Ottawa in Canada which is not really a small unknown university.. and it doesn't let me just type it in the box, it has to come up and i need to select it.. how is their help line? do they respond to emails or is it easier to call?

Also.. i already uploaded some LORs from my profs to interfolio for the purpose of AMCAS... is it enough to just ask them to upload the form to the interfolio of TMDSAS or should I upload a new letter with the form? is there a way to make the two accounts sort of .. talk to each other??

and for the UTs.. what sort of letters are you guys sending? I'm including my graduate supervisor for sure.. but then should I pick non-science prof for the second letter?

and is anybody doing the third unrecommended letter? lol

thanks!!

EDIT: I figured out how to add my university.. but input on the LORs would be great.. is it okay to add a non-academic?

Last edited:
Sticking with a professional look would be better. A head shot, so the top of your chest and up. If you take your own head shot and print from Walgreen's, you can get wallet size pictures printed out on a 4x6 photo. So one 4x6 sheet gives you 4 2x3 pictures-the perfect size and really cheap compared to passport photos.

I took it with a digital camera and it came out looking just like a passport photo, with that extra inch (passport photos are 2x2). I just took it against a plain white wall. :thumbup:

Thanks! That makes sense :)

this system can't even find the University of Ottawa in Canada which is not really a small unknown university.. and it doesn't let me just type it in the box, it has to come up and i need to select it.. how is their help line? do they respond to emails or is it easier to call?

Also.. i already uploaded some LORs from my profs to interfolio for the purpose of AMCAS... is it enough to just ask them to upload the form to the interfolio of TMDSAS or should I upload a new letter with the form? is there a way to make the two accounts sort of .. talk to each other??

and for the UTs.. what sort of letters are you guys sending? I'm including my graduate supervisor for sure.. but then should I pick non-science prof for the second letter?

and is anybody doing the third unrecommended letter? lol

thanks!!

EDIT: I figured out how to add my university.. but input on the LORs would be great.. is it okay to add a non-academic?

it should automatically merge the two accounts assuming that you're filling out TMDSAS using your interfolio login - i didn't know about the committee letter thing when i signed up for interfolio initially so i had a letter saved in it

when i logged into tmdsas last week and began the application, it showed that old letter automatically....