Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Pharmacy - Top Paying Job for Women - Forbes
Started by Lesley
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
From Forbes:
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-wor...-jobs-for-women?mod=career-salary_negotiation
Women are flocking to the labor force in record numbers. Nearly 60% sought or occupied employment in 2008, the latest year for which statistics are available, representing 46.5% of the total U.S. labor force. More than one-third of these women worked in management, professional and related occupations, accounting for 51% of all workers in this top-paying sector...
... An unlikely No. 1 emerged. Much to our surprise, pharmacy topped the list, where women pharmacists earn a median wage of $1,647 per week or about $86,000 a year. Women currently account for slightly less than half of all pharmacists in the U.S. and earn about 85% as much as their male colleagues. It's a much smaller pay gap than that of medical doctors, however, where women make 59% as much as men.
And pharmacy requires less education.
Women physicians and surgeons came in far behind pharmacists at No. 6 on the list, earning a median of $1,230 per week. Dr. Drucilla Barker, economist and director of women's and gender studies at the University of South Carolina, explains this by the wide distribution of salaries in the medical profession. Women often go into family practice or other lower-paying specialties, she says, rather than work the 80-hour-plus weeks of surgeons. In jobs like pharmacy and speech pathology there is a clear and narrow salary range, and women are more likely to have manageable schedules, Barker says.
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-wor...-jobs-for-women?mod=career-salary_negotiation
Thank you for the bolded section, I was under the impression that a pharmacist required more education than a surgeon.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't you have lives to save?
Well, that settles it. I'm catching me a pharmacist!
We make about the same gender to gender, but I'd be interested to know what rate of male vs. female PharmDs pursue residence and administration positions.
I really have no idea, is it more common than not for women to look at Pharmacy as a part-time profession? Some of my female friends are more gun-ho than I am, which is saying a lot.
We make about the same gender to gender, but I'd be interested to know what rate of male vs. female PharmDs pursue residence and administration positions.
I really have no idea, is it more common than not for women to look at Pharmacy as a part-time profession? Some of my female friends are more gun-ho than I am, which is saying a lot.
Story didn't go over too well with the incoming medicine interns...
haha
.
Last edited:
Thank you for the bolded section, I was under the impression that a pharmacist required more education than a surgeon.
Thanks from me too! I was really confused untill I got to the bolded And pharmacy requires less education. Because I had no idea medical doctors received more education than pharmacists.
Thanks from me too! I was really confused untill I got to the bolded And pharmacy requires less education. Because I had no idea medical doctors received more education than pharmacists.
Is it more? Or is it different? Obviously, medical students learn much more detailed anatomy. And they learn to diagnose, especially during the last two years, on top of learning disease states. But they have two years of classes, while pharmacy students have three.
Definitely med students who do internships and residencies learn more than someone who just does four years of pharmacy or med school. And surgeons have a whole heck of a lot more to learn on top of what they do to get their MD.
Not trying to argue here. I'm just curious what everyone else thinks.
Is it more? Or is it different? Obviously, medical students learn much more detailed anatomy. And they learn to diagnose, especially during the last two years, on top of learning disease states. But they have two years of classes, while pharmacy students have three.
Definitely med students who do internships and residencies learn more than someone who just does four years of pharmacy or med school. And surgeons have a whole heck of a lot more to learn on top of what they do to get their MD.
Not trying to argue here. I'm just curious what everyone else thinks.
Internships and residencies are mandatory for physicians to practice. Overall, physicians receive more education than pharmacists. We receive much more education in pharmacotherapy than the average physician, but you can't make a case that we receive more overall.
Sigh, another case of providers not communicating with each other.
We have two attendings posting the exact same thing exactly 2 minutes apart.
By Leslie: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=642249 at 7:59
By Danbo1957 at 8:01.
Thanks guys.
lmao. internet imitates life...
I can imagine.
"Asteroid to Hit Planet Pharmacy, All are Doomed"
That is a damned near perfect title for the combined sticky thread.
They recieve more education than us overall in medicine but not more in pharmcotherapy. Everything that I learned from day 1 is focus toward pharmcotherapy and being a pharmacist from cost utilization economics to toxicology management.
I can see Forbes putting that down for Physician assistants but what Forbes is doing is equivalent to them writing being a lawyers require less education than physicians which is pointless since it is comparing apple to oranges.
I can see Forbes putting that down for Physician assistants but what Forbes is doing is equivalent to them writing being a lawyers require less education than physicians which is pointless since it is comparing apple to oranges.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can imagine.
Please direct them to our "Asteroid to Hit Planet Pharmacy, All are Doomed" stickies. They will feel better.
I think WVU has the oldest of the now megathread (And would therefore be considered the OP of the thread). He'd probably agree to it being called that. 🙂
Edit: Merged the two threads, so at least now both attendings are on the same page.
I think the education they are talking about is that an MD is 4 years undergrad + 4 years of medical school + 2 years residency (more if you are a surgeon of course!)= 10+ years for an MD
Pharmacy most people have 2 years of pre pharm courses+ 4 years or 3 years (depends on which pharmacy school)= 5 to 6 years for a PharmD.
Thats what they are talking about LESS education.
However I am shocked that dentistry isn't the top paying job for a woman. I figure it would pay more than pharmacy.
Pharmacy most people have 2 years of pre pharm courses+ 4 years or 3 years (depends on which pharmacy school)= 5 to 6 years for a PharmD.
Thats what they are talking about LESS education.
However I am shocked that dentistry isn't the top paying job for a woman. I figure it would pay more than pharmacy.
Sigh, another case of providers not communicating with each other.
We have two attendings posting the exact same thing exactly 2 minutes apart.
By Leslie: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=642249 at 7:59
By Danbo1957 at 8:01.
It's like 2 orders for the same drug were placed and I have figure out which one to follow.
Thanks guys.
Should make you feel right at home then!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K