*fwew* Done 7/13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCB05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I'd like to thank everyone on SDN for the input, advice, questions, and comments over the past two months. This site has been an invaluable resource for guiding and refining my studying and practice strategies.
My scores came out:
PA - 30 (100%)
QR - 25 (97.4%)
RC - 23 (92.6%)
Bio - 26 (99.6%)
GC - 30 (100%)
OC - 26 (97.7%)
TS - 27 (99.8)
AA - 26 (99.9)

Basically I sat down for a full two months to cram in everything I could. I began with textbooks. After reading through the sciences once or twice, I moved on to Kaplan BB(bummed off of my sister's friend), and Schaum's Bio, GChem, and OChem. I also read through Cliff's and Barron's AP Bio twice. After that I went through Destroyer 2008. I can say without a doubt my OChem would be a few points lower had I not gotten my hands on a copy of Destroyer. It really touches on important and less-well-known concepts, and I actually delayed my test a week after I realized how much more I had to polish up OChem. Destroyer Bio is great for covering a wide array of topics. Destroyer GChem was a little over the top in terms of difficulty compared to the actual exam though

As for PA, I absolutely recommend CDP. I got the 10-test version and did one every week (1 every day in the last week), and the questions are great for familiarizing yourself with TFE shapes and Keyhole perspectives, and for practice recognizing cube counting trends. The hole-punch section of the actual exam was a bit different in terms of question diagramming. Angles were my weakest section starting off, so I practiced CDP angles every day. The actual exam had much easier angles.

I also got my hands on most every practice exam I could: Acethedat, Topscore, Achiever, which i took in roughly that order.

AA PA QR RC Bio GChem Ochem TS
Ace 1 21.4 14 29 28 17 18 15 17
Ace 2 21.8 17 28 28 18 19 16 18
Ace 3 23 17 29 30 20 19 17 19
TopScore1 19 22 20 23 20 19 15 18
TopScore2 20 23 21 23 18 18 19 18
TopScore3 22 23 26 23 19 21 19 20
Achiever1 22 18 22 23 19 23 21 21
Achiever2 21 20 23 25 18 19 18 19
Achiever3 22 20 30 22 18 19 25 20
I also wiped my Topscore numbers and retook them more recently
TopScore1 27 25 29 29 22 28 28 26
TopScore2 26 26 30 22 26 25 28 27
CDP 21/21/22/22/23/28/25/23/25/26

Obviously my retakes would be higher seeing as how I specifically covered questions i got wrong in the past. IMO AcetheDat is a terrible representation of the actual test, but the PAT section is wicked hard and good practice. Achiever seemed over the top in the science depth. Topscore seemed to represent the actual exam closest.

In summary, I'd like to thank everyone again for either directly or indirectly helping me during my time lurking the forum. I know there have been a few threads about people discouraged by the types of scores posted on this site. Don't be! Remember this place represents a very small, overachieving sample of people in the nation :eek: And I don't want anyone to take this post as my bragging (well, maybe a little :p), but I wanted to do what others have been doing and contributing my experience and advice to the pool in the hopes that they will help someone else.

That said, **fweeew** ...now I have to get to completing my personal statement and sending out my apps. As great as my scores may be, I do have some blemishes on my graduate record that have to be taken into account, so Ill be busy in the coming weeks/months :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Let me be the first to congratulate you. Your hard work paid off! Job well done :)

First off, I'd like to thank everyone on SDN for the input, advice, questions, and comments over the past two months. This site has been an invaluable resource for guiding and refining my studying and practice strategies.
My scores came out:
PA - 30 (100%)
QR - 25 (97.4%)
RC - 23 (92.6%)
Bio - 26 (99.6%)
GC - 30 (100%)
OC - 26 (97.7%)
TS - 27 (99.8)
AA - 26 (99.9)

Basically I sat down for a full two months to cram in everything I could. I began with textbooks. After reading through the sciences once or twice, I moved on to Kaplan BB(bummed off of my sister's friend), and Schaum's Bio, GChem, and OChem. I also read through Cliff's and Barron's AP Bio twice. After that I went through Destroyer 2008. I can say without a doubt my OChem would be a few points lower had I not gotten my hands on a copy of Destroyer. It really touches on important and less-well-known concepts, and I actually delayed my test a week after I realized how much more I had to polish up OChem. Destroyer Bio is great for covering a wide array of topics. Destroyer GChem was a little over the top in terms of difficulty compared to the actual exam though

As for PA, I absolutely recommend CDP. I got the 10-test version and did one every week (1 every day in the last week), and the questions are great for familiarizing yourself with TFE shapes and Keyhole perspectives, and for practice recognizing cube counting trends. The hole-punch section of the actual exam was a bit different in terms of question diagramming. Angles were my weakest section starting off, so I practiced CDP angles every day. The actual exam had much easier angles.

I also got my hands on most every practice exam I could: Acethedat, Topscore, Achiever, which i took in roughly that order.

AA PA QR RC Bio GChem Ochem TS
Ace 1 21.4 14 29 28 17 18 15 17
Ace 2 21.8 17 28 28 18 19 16 18
Ace 3 23 17 29 30 20 19 17 19
TopScore1 19 22 20 23 20 19 15 18
TopScore2 20 23 21 23 18 18 19 18
TopScore3 22 23 26 23 19 21 19 20
Achiever1 22 18 22 23 19 23 21 21
Achiever2 21 20 23 25 18 19 18 19
Achiever3 22 20 30 22 18 19 25 20
I also wiped my Topscore numbers and retook them more recently
TopScore1 27 25 29 29 22 28 28 26
TopScore2 26 26 30 22 26 25 28 27
CDP 21/21/22/22/23/28/25/23/25/26

Obviously my retakes would be higher seeing as how I specifically covered questions i got wrong in the past. IMO AcetheDat is a terrible representation of the actual test, but the PAT section is wicked hard and good practice. Achiever seemed over the top in the science depth. Topscore seemed to represent the actual exam closest.

In summary, I'd like to thank everyone again for either directly or indirectly helping me during my time lurking the forum. I know there have been a few threads about people discouraged by the types of scores posted on this site. Don't be! Remember this place represents a very small, overachieving sample of people in the nation :eek: And I don't want anyone to take this post as my bragging (well, maybe a little :p), but I wanted to do what others have been doing and contributing my experience and advice to the pool in the hopes that they will help someone else.

That said, **fweeew** ...now I have to get to completing my personal statement and sending out my apps. As great as my scores may be, I do have some blemishes on my graduate record that have to be taken into account, so Ill be busy in the coming weeks/months :xf:

Holly f***ing sh**.
Lets just hope my application is not standing next to you!
Congrats anyway:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

How was your RC? which ones did you get and what method did you use?

Those scores are so ridiculous it makes my stomach hurt...I would scream/cry at the test center if I saw those pop up...I'm studying my hardest, but those scores are untouchable! Congrats.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:boom:

PLEASE PLEASE

any tips for the RC, PAT and QR SERIOUSLY?!!!!!

THANKS!

:wow:

Your scores are the highest I had ever seen! Congratulations! Amazing!

Did you get the Piano RC?

What are you doing to celebrate? :thumbup:

Congrats!

How was your RC? which ones did you get and what method did you use?

Thanks everyone :)

As for your question, I got the crocodile set. search and destroy worked okay for a lot of questions, but there were some inference questions mixed into each passage as well. I actually felt the first of the set was hardest and thought I was getting Frapped/Piano'd as I did the first few questions of the section.
I don't really have a method, per se. Going in, I felt I read fast/well enough that I didnt really prepare for the section at all :( I used to read prolifically, and am fairly good at skimming through sections and remembering key words in passages. Good practice imo would just be to set aside some time to read something leisurely, so you get used to something between skimming and focused reading.

Just practice QR! Whatever questions you can find. I have a stong math background, but it helps to be familiar with TYPES of questions as well, like ones in the practice tests I mentioned. Practice = familiar = faster & more accurate.

For PAT, practice with CDP. Hands down, best resource.

And to celebrate, I'm going to a buffet tonight :p

congrats!

How many hours did you study in a day?

When did you take the TS 1 and 2 the first and the second time?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The holes are a little smaller than what CDP uses, and there's a bit of a border margin. That threw me off when I first looked at them.

Please tell us how u studied...and specific strategies u used for each section of the exam. It would be really helpful.

thanks.

First Congrats man you deserve it!! now you will have plenty of time to reject universities lol. Can you please specify which book did you use for each section ?

Thanks!

OMG! I have never seen scores like that! congratulations! you did amazing. please tell me what your schedule for studying was like.... how many hours a day, what subjects first, etc...:claps:

Look like the DAT got frapped by you.
absolutely incredible. good job.
I feel like such a slacker in comparison lol

Thanks everyone :)
And to celebrate, I'm going to a buffet tonight :p
As great as my scores may be, I do have some blemishes on my graduate record that have to be taken into account, so Ill be busy in the coming weeks/months...

Nice to hear that you are celebrating in a delicious way! Come back and tell us about those "boo boo" you have on your graduate record. Wow! I was so inspired that I got the Cliffs Bio 30 mins ago and will fall sleep reading Destroyer :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

danngg!!!!!!!... congratsssss!!...you will get accepted to all the schools that you apply to....i mean ALLLLLLLLLLLL.!!!!!!!!!!!!

You and calguitar (from Harvard last year) are the highest I have ever seen. I give you the nod because you have a better RC and PAT score. Congrats again!

Great scores!!!! I nearly fainted after seeing your scores but i also bookmarked this thread as future motivation :cool:.

Question: Do you think your undergrad education had a huge impact on how well you did or was it mostly the hard work and dedication you put down studying for this exam? The reason i ask is because some people take the DAT, do well on it and say "because of all the undergrad classes and being a _____ major...i did well on the DAT". Maybe im just looking for more motivation that i dont have to be top 1% of all my classes to do as nearly as well as you.

Nonetheless i congratulate you on all your hard work and effort and wish the best. Thanks for the breakdown!

Please tell us how u studied...and specific strategies u used for each section of the exam. It would be really helpful.

thanks.

Lets see... the reading material I used were:
Some General Chemistry textbook (I no longer have it - lent to sister's boyfriend for summer session)
Organic Chemistry by McMurry, 6th ed
Life - The Science of Biology by Sadava et al. 8th ed
Barron's AP Bio
Cliff's Bio
Schaums Organic Chemistry 3rd ed
Schaums College Chemistry 9th ed
Schaums Biology 2nd ed

I don't have an exact schedule of what I studied when, so I'm just going off be memory. I began studying around the middle of May, which means 2 solid months of study. My regimen involved waking up at about 7am, taking a morning jog and cooling down/relaxing until 10, and then studying for a majority of the next 8 hours, and resting in the evening, with some variation by day. I was probably less focused and more antsy in the days/week coming up to this exam though. My first two weeks were dedicated solely to textbook reading. Very droll and dull, but necessary to brush up on important topics and re-learn forgotten ones. After that, I delved into Schaums. People have said that their review books are very dense, boring, and sleep-inducing. They're right.

However, imo Schaums is a great resource to find distilled info if you do not want/have the time to read through the entire textbook. Schaums Chem was my only resource for the subject after my sister's boyfriend pilfered my textbook, and I still did fine anyway. The taxonomy section of Schaums bio was much more in-depth than what's needed for the actual exam, but everything else was right on. Lots more info on plants than is probably needed for the actual test though. Their OChem review book has tons of reaction mechanisms and diagrams similar to Dr. Romano's ochem destroyer road maps.

Barron's and Cliffs I lump together. Theyre decent review and a good supplemental, but after going through both textbooks and Schaums reviews, they felt very broad and shallow in information. That's not to say they aren't good, just relatively less dense. I basically went through them as "light" reading when I felt stale, and could get through most of each in about a day of solid reading.

About a month ago I got my hands on a 2008 version of Destroyer. That was certainly an eye-opener. All the reading in the world is pointless without the application to reinforce the knowledge, and Destroyer is just that. Going through the ochem section for the first time is what made me delay my exam date another week to really figure out major important reaction mechanisms. I owe a few extra points to Destroyer. The random selection of bio questions are great also, to sample breadth of knowledge. After going through all the questions once in a few hours, I went over the questions again, checking the right answers, but also making sure I knew why the wrong answers were wrong. There are a lot of "e) All of the above are true/false" which in themselves offer more tidbits to learn. Like I said before, the Gchem section was a little over the top and I may have overstudied for the section. As a corollary, if you're set on Destroyer chem, you'll be set for the DAT.

CDP is great practice for the PA section. It's really the only accurate representation of the actual exam available. Angles were by far my weakest section so what I did was do a set of 45 angles in the morning and most evenings. CDP angle disparities are much more subtle than most of the actual exam. My strategy for that section is to find the smallest and largest pairs of angles and eliminate choices, which usually leaves two remaining options. If I had to decide between two very close angles, I would compare them to a third angle rather than each other. In most cases, it's more obvious that one angle is more acute or more obtuse. I also noticed I have a tendency to screw up when I look to closely for too long, so I hit "Next" then "Back" after a second and re-evaluate. I'm sure this got me thorugh, as I went back to marked questions and actually changed two of my answers on the actual exam lol.
As for cube counting, after so many CDP exams, I learned to recognize patterns. My actual method for counting sides is just to go through each row and stack, then going again in reverse order through the diagram. I tried the marking-before-doing-questions method and I actually got a few questions wrong during practice, so I stopped doing it. By going through and counting blocks each time, I could double-check and check past questions in case I find a block I didnt count the previous question.
As I said before, the hole-punch format was just a tad bit different than CDP, but I adjusted after a question or two. There's not much to this section except to be able to visualize folds well.
For paper folding, I think the most important thing to know is that there's only one way to fold the cut-out. Pretend the backside of the layout is solid black or something. Like the concept of enantiomers, a lot of wrong answers can be eliminated because the proper shape is the mirror image of what's actually given to you. Before I had this epiphany in CDP, I would wonder why there would be two possible answers, which I could get if I folded inside rather than out. There is no backside.
Keyhole is really just about having good depth perception for 3-d objects, and good visualization for the flatter ones. Learn to point out differences in angles, sides, and bumps. This I think goes hand-in-hand with TFE, because much of the trickery involves figuring out what the objects look like from one side.

Reading Comp I definitely had no practice with beyond the practice exam questions. I suppose DAT Achiever is alright in terms of Search and Destroy and tone/inference question array. The way I approach each section is to read the first question and quickly read/skim through the passage until I find the answer. If the first question is tone, I just skim, answer, and mark. For the next question, I pick up reading where I stopped. This way, I'm not wasting time first by reading the entire passage once, and I'm absorbing little bits as I read through to find an answer. By about 5 questions I have a general idea as to the layout and tone of teh passage and can go back and answer the tone/inference question(s) quickly. Rather than simply search and destroy, I try to at least understand the parts I skim through, in case later questions address something I covered earlier. Obviously this can have limitations, as the section was my lowest score. Find something you enjoy reading and spend a little time during the day scanning. This helps with speed and comprehension. For me, it was the newspaper, magazines, and SDN forums.

As far as I could tell, QR was basic algebra and trig. Speed is important. To simulate the testing conditions, I got expo medium-tip markers and did all my work on the back of a laminated sheet of paper. The eraser you get from Prometic is really good and I would be wiping off the page as I read the next question. I didnt focus on studying for this section beyond memorizing some trig functions and values I had long forgotten. The questions from Topscore and Achiever are great for practice. After awhile it seems like questions just get recycled, and really once you think about it, there's really only a few ways to present algebra in word problems.

So that's how I approached the exam. Time is also a big factor. Cramming only goes so far. It takes time to learn and understand the concepts behind the science questions. I would say it took me a month to absorb what I could, and the second month I spent refining and applying through questions in Destroyer, practice exams, and end-of-chapter quizzes.

I hope some of the above helps some of you as you prepare for your exams. If you're cracking down as hard as I did, make sure to find something to do to keep your sanity! A stale mind just leads to wasted time. Good luck to everyone preparing for your exam!

As for the "boo-boo" in my record, it mainly involves some personal issues and a career change of heart :) Hoss, as I haven't much touched Chem/Ochem/Bio for at least 3 years, I'd have to say it was mostly my studying. However, I at least have to give credit to my undergrad courses for giving me a strong science background as a Mo/Cell Bio major. Non-human biology (taxonomy, plant form & function, animal physiology) were so far gone as to be completely relearned though. I was certainly not top 1% of my class, so that can't be a prereq to a good score :p

:eek::eek::eek: Holllllllyyyyyyyyyy F****** S***!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's the bestest score in the history!!!!! :thumbup:

Congratulations!!!!!:love::love::love:

You and calguitar (from Harvard last year) are the highest I have ever seen. I give you the nod because you have a better RC and PAT score. Congrats again!

I'd take a 25 pat with a higher TS and AA any day. 30 QR is absurdly harder to pull off than a 30 RC, especially with the croc section.

I'd take a 25 pat with a higher TS and AA any day. 30 QR is absurdly harder to pull off than a 30 RC, especially with the croc section.

That totally depends on the person though. In the two practice exams I took I got 27 and 30 QR with like 10 minutes to spare (basically 'cause I have been tutoring math for the past 5 years) but I have got like 21's in RC, much harder for me cause I'm somewhat of a slow reader. I would rather get a 27 RC and a 21 QR though. It seems that RC is more important to most adcoms than QR (which would make sense since you gotta read a s***load in dental school)

Wow dude you smoked that exam. The first person I have seen with a perfect 30 in the PAT portion. You just dominated across the board! Ditto, in that I dont want my application sitting next to yours!

Usually i see 30s on OC.. but 30 in PAT.. that's the first :eek:. What schools are u planning to apply? please don't apply to my 8 lol. I didn't say congratz the first time.. i was too shocked haha.. but a big CONGRATZ to you. Holy crap lol