Potential Solution to "Random" Bio Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiomajorPreDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so everyone who frequents these forums and who took the exam, knows all about these random questions that you have to guess on because you have no idea what they are talking about.

I read at least 3 DAT breakdowns these past 2 weeks that talked about them.

This seems to occur only in the bio section

As far as I have seen, no prep material covers them. I noticed they tend to be genetics and developmental oriented, so I did a little browsing through my campbells text and found something interesting.

It took me this long to find it because A: I didnt use this text originally to study for the DAT, and B: Apparently my Bio 1 class ended after Transcription/Translation and my Bio 2 class started with Darwin.

Ok so from reading the review questions at the end of these 3 chapters, I was amazed to see that there were quite a few that were almost verbatim to the random ones I saw on my bio section of the DAT.

Here they are:

Campbells Bio textbook 7th edition:

Chapter 19: Eukaryotic Genomes: Orgnanization, Regulation, and Evolution
Chapter 20: DNA Technology and Genomics
Chapter 21: The Genetic Basis of Development

Now I am using the study guide that accompanies the text also and it has summaries and alot more questions as well.

I know there may be some of you who say..

"big deal you just figured this out? You should have read this all along."

Maybe a few of you were aware of this, but this is for those of us who arent.

Anyway, I plan on memorizing these 3 chapters out of the text and the study guide before I take the DAT again, I just thought this might help some other people too. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so everyone who frequents these forums and who took the exam, knows all about these random questions that you have to guess on because you have no idea what they are talking about.

I read at least 3 DAT breakdowns these past 2 weeks that talked about them.

This seems to occur only in the bio section

As far as I have seen, no prep material covers them. I noticed they tend to be genetics and developmental oriented, so I did a little browsing through my campbells text and found something interesting.

It took me this long to find it because A: I didnt use this text originally to study for the DAT, and B: Apparently my Bio 1 class ended after Transcription/Translation and my Bio 2 class started with Darwin.

Ok so from reading the review questions at the end of these 3 chapters, I was amazed to see that there were quite a few that were almost verbatim to the random ones I saw on my bio section of the DAT.

Here they are:

Campbells Bio textbook 7th edition:

Chapter 19: Eukaryotic Genomes: Orgnanization, Regulation, and Evolution
Chapter 20: DNA Technology and Genomics
Chapter 21: The Genetic Basis of Development

Now I am using the study guide that accompanies the text also and it has summaries and alot more questions as well.

I know there may be some of you who say..

"big deal you just figured this out? You should have read this all along."

Maybe a few of you were aware of this, but this is for those of us who arent.

Anyway, I plan on memorizing these 3 chapters out of the text and the study guide before I take the DAT again, I just thought this might help some other people too. :D

when you say "review questions" do you meanthe one page review summary at the end of the chapter or the "concept checks" at the end of each section?

thanks for the info,btw!

*Runs to get bio textbook*

*Reads that the authors are Raven and Johnson*

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any reason why everyone on this site strongly prefers campbell's to any other bio book? I noticed that topscore references the book as well... Are the makers of the DAT known to use this book for questions or something?

Any reason why everyone on this site strongly prefers campbell's to any other bio book? I noticed that topscore references the book as well... Are the makers of the DAT known to use this book for questions or something?

I think Campbell's biology is probably the most common bio book used for lower-division bio courses. I think it's on 8th edition already. It doesn't have as much detail as your upper-division course books like physiology, biochem or mol bio would have, but it has the "basic", in depth, introduction, which is what DAT is asking for. (I actually think ADA suggests it too along with that Johnson book lol). And of course the whole book is covered in multiple semesters/quarters, nothing you could "just read" for the DAT. Although looking at the more related chapters could only help.

I think Campbell's biology is probably the most common bio book used for lower-division bio courses. I think it's on 8th edition already. It doesn't have as much detail as your upper-division course books like physiology, biochem or mol bio would have, but it has the "basic", in depth, introduction, which is what DAT is asking for. (I actually think ADA suggests it too along with that Johnson book lol). And of course the whole book is covered in multiple semesters/quarters, nothing you could "just read" for the DAT. Although looking at the more related chapters could only help.

I believe that's true. I believe they reference both books as suggested study material because that's where the info they wrote their tests came from.

I just looked it up (http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_reference_texts.pdf) and on they list both Campbells as well as Raven and Johnson on the "Dental Admission Test Reference Text List" under biology.

when you say "review questions" do you meanthe one page review summary at the end of the chapter or the "concept checks" at the end of each section?

thanks for the info,btw!

I was referring to the "testing your knowledge" section at the end of each chapter, I just noticed there are questions in each chapter, I will have to look at those today.

Also if you have the study guide that goes with it, any of the questions inside of the chapter summary and at the end seem to be fair game.

This seems like a very good strategy for prepping bio, I just took the test monday and the randoms are often on topics you listed.

Solution : buy AP Bio Cliffsnotes

OP is def on to something. I used my cambells text to study and i noticed that those chapters were NOT covered in my bio classes. I did what the OP did and I felt much more preparred on the real thing

I was referring to the "testing your knowledge" section at the end of each chapter, I just noticed there are questions in each chapter, I will have to look at those today.

Also if you have the study guide that goes with it, any of the questions inside of the chapter summary and at the end seem to be fair game.

Hey are the answers to the "testing your knowledge" in the book? I know the answers to the concept questions at the end of each section are.

OP is def on to something. I used my cambells text to study and i noticed that those chapters were NOT covered in my bio classes. I did what the OP did and I felt much more preparred on the real thing

Yea, I am glad its not just me :)

Hey are the answers to the "testing your knowledge" in the book? I know the answers to the concept questions at the end of each section are.

Yea, they're in appendix A in the back of the book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, they are at the end of each chapters section in the appendix A. The title is small and is "Self-Quiz" and theres 10 of them per chapter.

FWIW, the accompanying website for the Campbell text, campbellbiology.com, also has extensive practice questions for each chapter, with explanations -- beyond those that are just in the book. Also, it has nice animated vids for various cellular processes, etc.

Unfortunately, most folks would probably have to renew their access subscription (around 30 bucks, IIRC), if you bought your book new more than ~a year ago.

Yea, they are at the end of each chapters section in the appendix A. The title is small and is "Self-Quiz" and theres 10 of them per chapter.

That's weird. I have the 7th edition, as well, but Appendix A in my version only contains the answers to the "concept" questions from within the chapters not the "testing your knowledge" questions from theend of the chapters. This sucks.

ch 19
1.c
2.a
3.a
4.a
5.e
6.a
7.c
8.c
9.b
10.b

ch 20
1.b
2.b
3.c
4.b
5.a
6.c
7.e
8.c
9.d
10.c

ch 21
1.c
2.e
3.b
4.a
5.a
6.d
7.c
8.a
9.c
10.e

Thanks anyways, but my book does not version doesnt even have the multiple choice (weird)...it just has 3 non-MC questions at the end of the review portion. I guess i'm just going to look at the concept questions. Have you taken a look at them yet? How do they compare to the end of chapter questions?

Hey guys,

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. While reading that long pdf file on how to prep for that DAT that comes with the TopScore software, I came across this:

"The Dental Admissions Testing Program has indicated that the 2005 biology section will include new areas such as:

'Experimental Cell Biology'
'Experimental Embryology'
'Genetic Technology'

Review materials including Kaplan and Barron’s most likely will not cover these new areas."

These three topics just happen to correlate to chapters 19,20, and 21 in Campbell's. Maybe the fact that these topics are usually omitted from review courses/books could help explain why it seems "random" when they show up on the bio section.

the first time i took the test, i did not read it! The second time, i read chapters and doing questions from there. Obviously, they are waste of time since i only increase in 2 points but i spend so much time on reading campbell.

From my memories, these "random" questions are questions that you encounter during your undergrad bio class. Further, some "random" questions are worded in a very strange way, kinda throw you off the boat!

But the good thing is i only had like 3-4 random questions, the rest is straighforward

where do these chapters correspond with in teh newer campbells? the chapters have different titles from both editions (Which is y i am asking)

thanks

the "new to 8th edition" page actually tells you.

most of us never bother to read it because we figure one edition to the next = excuse to make more money.

anyhow 19-21 on 7th

has become 18-21 with some of 18 reorganized to 27 in 8th and some other shuffling of material.

haha i just placed an order for the textbook and i should get it sometime next week.
thanks for the info!! =)

I have my campbells book along with other textbooks that were helpful if anybody wants them.

yes, can anyone verify the chapters on 8th edition of Campbell's?

From the topics I am thinking of 17-21? o_o

My "random question" was about a picture of chromosome replication in a certain diseased individual I dont even remember what it asks for anymore because this was 2 years ago but i remember it was something i knew i would never get even if i studied for the rest of my life lol. It's an either you know it or you don't type of question, if you never came across the multiple pieces of facts needed to answer it, chances are you're screwed.

wow thanks
i dont have the Campbell book (and im taking my test in 3 days...) can anyone list the topics the chapters cover, like PCR or Southern Blots, so i can refresh with my genetics book instead? thannkss

im glad i saw this, had to dig through my pile of textbooks, Im gonna start reading those chapters! I have the international 7th edition, my cd expired and there is no questions on the back of each chapters, only the concept questions :-(

My "random question" was about a picture of chromosome replication in a certain diseased individual I dont even remember what it asks for anymore because this was 2 years ago but i remember it was something i knew i would never get even if i studied for the rest of my life lol. It's an either you know it or you don't type of question, if you never came across the multiple pieces of facts needed to answer it, chances are you're screwed.

trisomy 21? I don't remember any others. maybe philidelphia chromosome in people with CML? but i only knew that from grad classes :laugh:

I just took the DAT yesterday and I do have to say that you will received at least something out of left field. What helped me was to be able to break down unfamiliar words to their root meanings. I know this goes without saying but I know at least sometimes for me I'd see something and panic and quickly move onto the next question.