Why is diversity of ethnicity sooo important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geldrop

Crushed Pepper Rules
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on what makes diversity sooo valuable to universities. It amazes me that to this day they go so far out of their way to have a "diverse" campus. And from anyone's view they seem to think diversity = URM.

On a side note, i remember when my university used to sponser trips from various areas. What made it interesting, was you could spot these groups miles away given that they are sooo undiverse.

On another side note, they have magnet programs to import diversity over to certain bad areas where the majority is URM. Whats interesting is despite them being in the same school and raising the statistical averages its rare that the magnet and regular group mix at all given they have totally different classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by geldrop
On another side note, they have magnet programs to import diversity over to certain bad areas where the majority is URM. Whats interesting is despite them being in the same school and raising the statistical averages its rare that the magnet and regular group mix at all given they have totally different classes.

I agree. I graduated from magnet and did not know many students who were not in the program. It promotes separatism also.

because diversity is real life...a lot of people are cut off from diversity, and why would some med school want a student whose never been introduced to different cultures and peoples. It's a wake up for some country hicks out there to learn they aren't the only ones in the world witht the right worldviews.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Diversity is about accepting other people. There are a lot of other cultures out there and in real life, that's what the world is like. I can understand the magnet thiing. I went to one in high school and they brought others for diversity. In my opinion, it did not work because there were still racial cliques. Most didn't feel comfortable around the other and that's sad.

Originally posted by oldking
While I certainly agree that diversity is very important, if not critical, in the workplace and a college campus, I too am suprised at how often people simply equate "diversity" with different faces and skin types, rather than with life experiences and thoughts or ideas.

At my school, this type of "diversity" is actively sought, and I find it very ironic that most administrators would probably consider a pool of freshman with 5 whites, 3 asians, and 2 blacks who are all 18 years old, upper-middle class and from NYC to be far more diverse than 10 poor to affluent white students ages 18-25, from NY, CA, AL, etc, some of whom had lived internationally and spent years in the workfoce...

I understand what you all are trying to get across: that race is not the only factor for diversity. But you have to agree that regardless of socioeconomic background, people of the same cultural background tend to carry similar ideas about other cultures and ideologies. Not saying that every white American of thinks all African Americans are criminals; but more along the lines of lifestyles (many members of certain groups of people have a fascination with skiing while other cultures never go to the snow). I think in a general sense, the beliefs and ideologies of people tend to run along cultural lines.

As for the diversity in experiences, every school I visited was very interested in the life's experiences its applicants had--regardless of financial status. Unfortunately what everyone on this forum tends to do is take each aspect of an individual as being isolated. We are all composed of many different factors that make us who we are. So when talking about a rich Indian American student you'd need to say what other experiences he's had and how he wants to contribute to society. Or if you are talking about a poor white student, you'd need to say how she overcame this and what she's learned from these circumstances.

"Diversity" is religion for liberals. Same with recycling.

It fills a void in their lives, and gives them meaning.

If you don't believe it's a religion, try convincing a liberal that diversity for its own sake might not be such a good idea. He will do everything but burn you as a heretic.

A devout shiitte Moslem living in Nablus kissing a picture of Chairman Arafat is about half as fanatical as your typical liberal when it comes to diversity.

Signed,

A White Guy Who Doesn't Resent Affirmative Action Because I Don't Plan on Working for the Government, Don't Need Extra Points to Make Good Impression, and am Thankful to Be a Descendant of Dead White European Males Who have made our Civilization Possible

(Even if we don't have any rythym.)

Originally posted by Panda Bear
"Diversity" is religion for liberals. Same with recycling.

It fills a void in their lives, and gives them meaning.

If you don't believe it's a religion, try convincing a liberal that diversity for its own sake might not be such a good idea. He will do everything but burn you as a heretic.
Funny, I'm just about as liberal as can be, but I don't agree with AA as it exists today- reading about it as it applies to school apps (no, I'm not worried about someone taking my slot!) formed my opinion.

We really DON'T have to all think the same way when we accept a label. Think outside the box ;)
Signed,
A White Guy Who Doesn't Resent Affirmative Action Because I Don't Plan on Working for the Government, Don't Need Extra Points to Make Good Impression, and am Thankful to Be a Descendant of Dead White European Males Who have made our Civilization Possible

(Even if we don't have any rythym.)
Speak for yourself!

Maybe it's that smidge of Ute that puts the "House" in "HouseHead"... :laugh: