Rallying my fellow URMs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakun

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

just want to know how everyone is doing now that the application cycle is coming to a close. Who's been accepted, still waiting to hear, and who thinks they might be applying again? I'll start the ball rolling....I'm still a member on the NAYC forum (no acceptances yet club) so...I'm on 4 waitlists: BU, Tufts, NJMS, Meharry and still waiting to hear from Drexel (I interviewed there a week ago). Howard never contacted me so that's a flat out rejection. Post-interview rejections include: Case and Umass (my f-king state school!!)

Lakun

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Lakun how are you
Looks like I'm going to Davis so far, still waitlisted at UCLA and waiting to find out where I am on the UCSF waitlist. I am also waitlisted at UCI I guess, but haven't heard from them in ages. I just checked out this website blackdoc2be.com, and it seems cool. It's an online community for future black docs. (By the way it's not my website), just thought it would be cool to check out. Peace and good luck!!! :)

Hey, lakun and everyone!

This thread is a great idea. I am also still a member of the NAYC (no acceptances yet club). I am on the waitlist at wake forest, usf, in the acceptance range at meharry, and still waiting to hear from howard (the number one choice, please, oh, please)!

I think that this cycle was good, considering the fact that I applied to six schools and received four interviews. Hopefully (I am praying), I will get in somewhere this cycle...I liked all of my schools, but Howard is my number one choice for a variety of reasons. Next week will be six weeks, and I will start my calling and e-mailing.

Good luck, everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Lakun,

I just let up two spots at places that you are waitlisted. If they are trying to keep the number of URMs in the class constant, that means there are two more very possible acceptances coming your way. The schools are BU and NJMS.

Good Luck!

What's up everyone.......unfortunately I am stuck on two waitlists at the moment ( I applied to three schools ).....Morehouse or Meharry......I will pray for all of us:)

hey everybody...i'm still around. i'm also still a member of the NAYC along w/ lakun and cocoabutter. i'm on 3 waitlists: Meharry, NJMS, and Temple. I'm still waiting to hear from Howard, Drexel, and NYMC since my interviews (which were in april for those 3 schools). the wait is killing me. my first choice is NJMS and i would really like to get in off the waitlist before their summer program starts in june. oh well, if anything happens i'll keep you all posted...

How is it going for everyone? I got my first acceptance yesterday from Wake Forest. I am super excited!!!

Hey all,

I was accepted at EVMS after being waitlisted for a bit. (I havent let go of my spot yet if anyone is waitlisted there). I just heard from Pitt and will prob be going there - I make the decision on Wed. (I was waitlisted as well). I was rejected from Columbia post-interview and still havent heard from Temple post-interview. I applied to a total of nine schools overall.

Keep the faith, y'all!

AT

What's the deal yall,

I am officially starting at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. My other accepted schools were George Washington University SOM, Robert Wood Johnson, Loma Linda, and Howard. Howard and George Washington were the last schools I gave my withdrawal to. I had to turn down the Meharry and UIC interviews cause they were to far and I was already accepted at the schools I wanted to attend. I also withdrew my application from Usuhs because, I relaized I don't like uniforms or warfare.

To all the waitlist and people waiting to hear stuff. Stay up and keep the faith. If you haven't heard from Howard yet don't give up, you know how they can be. I think it took about 8 weeks for me to hear from them. My main decision was between GW and Univ. of MAryland. I had to go with finances because Maryland was my state school and GW's tuition was like 3 times more than Maryland. If anybody has any question about this process don't hesitate to hit me up.

peace

-0-

To all the URMs in the house,

I made it into Case Western, NJMS, and Howard. I was waitlisted at Pritzker, the #68 alternate at OHSU, and the #8 Idaho alternate at the University of Washington. I deferred my acceptance at Case Western for a year so that I can apply to the University of Washington again. (Yes, it is possible to defer AND reapply simultaneously at some private schools.) If I don't get into UW this time around, I'm headed to Case.

And to all those stressing about not hearing from Howard yet, realize that they take forever. I interviewed Nov 19 and received an acceptance on May 14. That's 6 months!!

Best wishes to all in this process.

What up all,
Let's see I sent secondaries to 12 schools and received 10 interviews: Pritzker, Dartmouth-Brown, GW, Boston University, Georgetown, USC Keck, U Penn, Mt Sinai, Northwestern, Yale...
Waitlisted at Pritzker, Penn, Yale
Withdrew post interview from Dartmouth-Brown ( New hampshire was just a little to rural for this city girl) Georgetown, Boston University
Accepted at Keck, Mt Sinai, GW, and full tuition scholarship at NU :)

Overall the process was pretty painless, except that Howard pretty much truned me off with their incompetence/indifference whatever... but other than that it usually took about 3-4 weeks to get an acceptance after my interviews, any longer than that and it was a wait-list... I guess the schools that liked me really let me know pretty quickly. Also I was lucky, I had an acceptance in hand by December which really took the pressure off for subsequent interviews
I'm Canadian if that helps any of you future international applicants in the process ( I applied to 5 Canadian schools and got into 2)

Peace,
Doc

Wolferman......

wait wait wait....so you can defer an acceptance u recieved this year...and apply again next cycle and see what else you get? I thought if you defer you have COMMITTED to that school after your defferment period is over. Whats the deal with that?

Hello everyone,

thanks for posting and congrats to wolferman, doc ivy, thezero, and cbpremed! (Hope I got everyone)

LittleDrBob, thanks for giving up those two spots. Good looking out!:D

Lilnix, got your pm and I'll be sending you a response later.

all my waitlistees keep hope alive! I don't know why but I'm so much more calmer at this period of the app process, even with no guarantees of where I'll end up. Guess I'm just happy I've gotten this far and how well I've handled the stress, the not knowing...I just know that we'll all be fine.

lakun

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you guys saw my other posts, but I was accepted to Wake Forest off of the waitlist! Hang in there everyone and be persistent with letters and e-mails--it definitely helps!

Go cocoabutter!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi Lakun!

Right now, I'm planning on going to Columbia next year. I was really fortunate and got accepted at UNC, UConn, and Wake Forest as well. I was waitlisted at Cornell and Pitt (though I was just accepted off of the waitlist today at Pitt). I'm probably going to decline the Pitt acceptance though and wait to see if Cornell accepts me.

Congrats again Cocoabutter, and your story really inspires me to write some more letters to Cornell :)

Good luck!

Karen

Thanks, SistaKaren for the congrats! I saw your post on the waitlist thread, but forgot to respond. I am sure that Cornell will come through for you...I mean you must be great to get all of those acceptances. Good luck!

SistaKaren,

Did you go to the revisit weekend at Columbia?

I'm so proud of all of you even though I don't know yall. It's just good to hear that URM's are hanging in there, even when this process gets tough, because people need us...period. Good luck to all who are waitlisted...I'm still hoping against hope that UCLA will love me. If not though, I'm still blessed to be in a good school. Allright yall, stay up. :)

Cocoa: Thanks for the luck, I'm keeping my fingers crossed... :)

DrBob: Noooooooo.....I couldn't go because it was the weekend before my finals...and I was broke (ohhhh, the heartbreak of poverty...). How was it?

Originally posted by draino15
Wolferman......

wait wait wait....so you can defer an acceptance u recieved this year...and apply again next cycle and see what else you get? I thought if you defer you have COMMITTED to that school after your defferment period is over. Whats the deal with that?

Not exactly. It depends on the school. Here is an excerpt from my reply on another thread.

Originally posted by wolferman
I was granted a deferral from Case Western and I'm allowed to reapply.

According to the letter I received in the mail today, my spot in the 2007 class has been pulled and I'll need to apply through AMCAS for my 2008 spot next year. (It's just a formality so I'll be in their system when they download data from AMCAS.) Also, the letter specifically says, You are in no way limited in your freedom to apply to other medical schools for admission in 2004 if you choose to do so.

I've also found out that private schools are more likely to grant deferrals to students than state schools. GW and Case meet this description. The University of Washington for instance, as state school, will typically only grant deferrals if you have a great reason, usually family problems.

So, to reiterate here: It IS POSSIBLE to DEFER and REAPPLY, it just depends on the school. Make sure you check before you give up a good thing. A school won't reject you just for asking.

Hi,

Please listen to wolferman, I lost a position at Howard U SOM a COUPLE of years ago due to "asking" the dean of admissions for the "possibility" of a deferral. I would even go to the extreme of asking other students or anyone not associated with making admissions descisions for advice. Please be careful. It took me two years to get back into a different med school after the dean of admissions at Howard basically said "tough luck" to me. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by ispic
Hi,

Please listen to wolferman, I lost a position at Howard U SOM a COUPLE of years ago due to "asking" the dean of admissions for the "possibility" of a deferral. I would even go to the extreme of asking other students or anyone not associated with making admissions descisions for advice. Please be careful. It took me two years to get back into a different med school after the dean of admissions at Howard basically said "tough luck" to me. Hope this helps.

While I appreciate your endorsement ispic, I suggested that a school would not drop you just for asking. That seems to be exactly what Howard did. If it had been any other school I probably would've been surprised, but the admissions statff at Howard is not exactly playing with a full deck. My advice to anyone in the future would be to broach the subject carefully; more from the standpoint of "would it be alright?" versus "gimee a deferal!". If the school is so vindictive that they rescind your acceptance I would not hesitate from seeking counsel and going to court (or at least threatening to do so). Seriously, until you've been offered the place in the incoming class, I can totally see an admissions committee pulling an acceptance by asking for a deferral. They do, after all, want to pick people who want to be at their school the most. However, once the offer is made, it is quite spiteful for a school to take away your seat just for asking a question.

I'm sorry to hear that this all happened to you ispic, but you're probably better off having not gone to Howard anyway (my opinion only).

To all the URMs in the house,

I made it into Case Western, NJMS, and Howard. I was waitlisted at Pritzker, the #68 alternate at OHSU, and the #8 Idaho alternate at the University of Washington. I deferred my acceptance at Case Western for a year so that I can apply to the University of Washington again. (Yes, it is possible to defer AND reapply simultaneously at some private schools.) If I don't get into UW this time around, I'm headed to Case.

And to all those stressing about not hearing from Howard yet, realize that they take forever. I interviewed Nov 19 and received an acceptance on May 14. That's 6 months!!

Best wishes to all in this process.

That's an incredible policy at Case that I didn't know about.

I was also accepted at Case some months back and I'm now considering deferring in order to try to get into my state school again. All I have to do is figure out something semi-productive to do with the extra year (don't think med schools consider "sleeping on my parents' couch" to be productive)...

...I'm sorry to hear that this all happened to you ispic, but you're probably better off having not gone to Howard anyway (my opinion only). [/B]

Thanks wolferman, you know what, you're absolutely right, but every now and then I look back longingly and wonder what could've been (I'd be taking the boards now :mad: ), but I now know that I will be going into a program that actually wants me there :) It did seem kind of spiteful what the dean did, but that's how life goes I guess. Thanks for the post man. :)

Originally posted by SistaKaren
Cocoa: Thanks for the luck, I'm keeping my fingers crossed... :)

DrBob: Noooooooo.....I couldn't go because it was the weekend before my finals...and I was broke (ohhhh, the heartbreak of poverty...). How was it?

SistaKaren,

It was a really good time. The students were the best part. Also, Dr. Hutcherson is so amazing and having the opportunity to spend some time with her was great. The Dean of the Health Sciences made an appearance at the URM BBQ. He introduced himself to each of us individually. I think it really showed the school's committment to minorities.

I guess we'll be seeing each other in the fall!

White people don't get a barbeque too? I guess since we aren't special enough to get scholarships, we wouldn't get one of those, either. I come from a dirt poor area of one of the most desolate, freezing cold, barren, and medically underserved areas in North America, have zero financial help from anyone, and I wouldn't even get an application for any sort of school sponsored aid anywhere.

Considering the percentage of whites in medical school, or any graduate school, is highly below the percentage of whites in the U.S. population at large, white people are becoming a URM group. Look at a picture of an incoming class at any school, and you will see what I mean. Yes, whites may dominate the current group of doctors in America, but among new matriculants and recent graduates, they are sorely lacking in comparison to the national demographics.

I think it is sad that being white is no longer "cool", that a major way of standing out to a committee is the color of your skin or national origin, and that it is assumed that whites have no culture of their own or any differences between them.

This is in no way to insinuate that the posters on this thread did not deserve admission. In fact, many of your stats and backgrounds (separate from race) are excellent and you deserved what you have earned. Congratulations! I just object to the fact that a completely uncontrollable factor, such as race, can be used against whites (and Asians, for that matter) in admissions decisions.

Go start your own thread, lizard.

Hey Wolferman, I also felt a little twinge of concern about your deferral. Are you planning on doing something in the upcoming year which would increase your competitiveness at U of W? New MCAT, research, post doc...? Also, are you sure you don't want to live in another part of the country for four years? You're a young man; it'd be kind of interesting for you to walk a different path in your life. You'd have the opportunity to learn more about the African American communit(ies), which is something that I know your area hasn't been able to offer. Get out - see the world :) !

Just my thoughts...

lol, anyone else totally disregarding lizard's comments?...i knew that would happen sooner or later, geez...

anyways, a big congrats to everyone who's been accpeted so far!! i'm still waiting but i'll keep everyone posted as things develop:D

Hey guys could you please post URM friendly schools for those of us applying this year? Thanks and congrats to all!

Lizard: I know Columbia's aid is all need-based, so go cry a river someplace else.

efex: I did a post-bac for URMs called MEDPREP. They gave us some schools that are URM friendly.

The New Jersey Schools (NJMS & Johnson), UIC (they will even consider you an in-state person from any state in the country), Temple, Case, Creighton, Iowa, and of course the HBCs. I also had extremely good experiences at NYU, BU, and of course Columbia!

Excuse me yall, but I feel that I need to address Mr. Lizard,

Now I refuse to turn a positive thread like this into something else, so my staement is closed ended. I am not minimizing your difficult circumstances or achievments, but you are ot able to concieve of the difficulties that URMs (screw it African americans, hispanics, and Native Americans) are presented with on a day to day basis. There is nobody taking over your precious postion as the all power majority of the North American infastructure I know you have been on enough interviews to notice that because I sure have. It would be interesting to let you be a dark skinned bald headed man for a day and how you would handle it for a day. Our lives are not Ja Rule and 50 cent videos. You said you grew up poor so you have a vague idea of what it is to be disenfranchised. Think about coming from a culture who's entire history is disenfranchised and how that might affect the psyche of a people. I apologize to the other posters in this forum and I hope I am not letting out to much family business, but some people need to informed. Oh yeah Lizard one more thing, the barbecue statement, you and I both know if you walked past that barbecue that day you would keep on truckin, but if not holla at me maybe we can get some meat on the grill and have a unity barbecue. I'll bring the hot sauce.

peace

-0-

I won't linger in this thread any longer. I sent a couple PMs and will leave it at that.

I just have a fervent belief that people should not be judged by something as superficial as skin color, whether for benefit or discrimination. There are many forms of diversity that run far deeper and have much more personal merit than race. I say these things because I really do desire a culture that is blind to race and finds no need to even give it a second thought in anything.

Originally posted by FMLizard
I won't linger in this thread any longer. I sent a couple PMs and will leave it at that.

I just have a fervent belief that people should not be judged by something as superficial as skin color, whether for benefit or discrimination. There are many forms of diversity that run far deeper and have much more personal merit than race. I say these things because I really do desire a culture that is blind to race and finds no need to even give it a second thought in anything.

We will call it even after America makes up for 300 years of discrimination based on people's skin color

Originally posted by nne97080
We will call it even after America makes up for 300 years of discrimination based on people's skin color
:laugh: When I was a little kid, the big neighbor kid down the block got a hold of his dad's big Maglite flashlight (cool!) and invited me to play. He would turn the light on, shine it through his hand, use it to look off in the distance, shine it under his chin.... Then I'd say, 'Me! Me! It's my turn now! You've had it the whole time!' At which point he would turn all serious, turn off the flashlight, and say 'No, if we can't agree about how to split it up, we just won't play with it at all. It's just not fair if we can't agree. Game's over.'

Then he'd do the same thing the next day. :mad:

So, you're not quite ready to start over at zero (again), nne?

Originally posted by nne97080

I guess we can use a similar proxy for socioeconomic status for whites, in which case we have over 2000 years to repay. Oh, and the clock is still ticking.

300 years appears quite paltry.

Originally posted by Ernham
I guess we can use a similar proxy for socioeconomic status for whites, in which case we have over 2000 years to repay. Oh, and the clock is still ticking.

300 years appears quite paltry.

Oh ok so I guess that like slavery of black folks or any other people of color that whites of lower socioeconomic status could never go from rags to riches or overcome poverty. Well just let me know the book you read that in and I would go read it and we can talk about this some more. You can't see poverty, but you can see color. Sorry but white folks have always gotten into medical schools in the past based on the fact that they were white. There were times when black people who attained the same or even better grades could not go to medical school because the affirmative action favored white people at the time. I think it is really sad that anyone could argue using the white socioeconomic status issue that is not even close. When you think racism think powerlessness mentally and physically. When you think poor and white think hope because tomorrow if you dress up in that nice white long coat noone would question your abilities instead they would look at your black doctor counterpart and wonder how did he get here? Trust me that is how it is sometimes. Hope you can give this some thought.

Originally posted by womansurg
:laugh: When I was a little kid, the big neighbor kid down the block got a hold of his dad's big Maglite flashlight (cool!) and invited me to play. He would turn the light on, shine it through his hand, use it to look off in the distance, shine it under his chin.... Then I'd say, 'Me! Me! It's my turn now! You've had it the whole time!' At which point he would turn all serious, turn off the flashlight, and say 'No, if we can't agree about how to split it up, we just won't play with it at all. It's just not fair if we can't agree. Game's over.'

Then he'd do the same thing the next day. :mad:

So, you're not quite ready to start over at zero (again), nne?

Maybe not at zero but we sure can start somewhere

"Oh ok so I guess that like slavery of black folks or any other people of color that whites of lower socioeconomic status could never go from rags to riches or overcome poverty."

Rags to riches are fairytales for about 99% of the population, white or otherwise.

"Well just let me know the book you read that in and I would go read it and we can talk about this some more. "

Are you trying to say that no blacks went from "rags to riches?? "

"You can't see poverty, but you can see color."

I can see povertry as clear as where you live, what you drive, the clothes you wear, and a myriad of other things.

"Sorry but white folks have always gotten into medical schools in the past based on the fact that they were white."

You mean white and *well-to-do* . Go ahead and crunch the stats for the socioeconomic status of modern day med school apps. I can already tell you that 99% of them will be middle to upper class, regardless of color. So, then, which has more validity? Race or Economic status?

"There were times when black people who attained the same or even better grades could not go to medical school because the affirmative action favored white people at the time. "

At that time, only the elites got into higher education to begin with... again, regardless of color.

" I think it is really sad that anyone could argue using the white socioeconomic status issue that is not even close."

??? Why isn't it? Have you grown up as white in poverty? No? So how could you possibly have any idea??

"When you think racism think powerlessness mentally and physically."

Well, "AA" is racism. So, it sounds as if you are making an argument against it. Perhaps you should revaluate your position.

"When you think poor and white think hope because tomorrow if you dress up in that nice white long coat noone would question your abilities instead they would look at your black doctor counterpart and wonder how did he get here?"

You may be right. However, if blacks as a whole continue to embrace such things as AA, so shall you reap - so shall you sow. And again, given your "arguments", it really seems as if you are on the wrong side of the fence.

These arguments about race and AA are the exact reason that I absolutely hate SDN sometimes. Why can't URMs just have a thread where we support eachother without someone hijacking it and making it something totally different?? No wonder so many of us get discouraged from actually pursuing medicine...it's these very attitudes and the fact the we are ALWAYS second guessed, that makes the atmosphere hostile. Regardless, I'm gonna continue to send support for all my people who have struggled to get into medical school for the purpose of making a difference. If you don't like us...why don't you just leave us alone??

I'm sorry for starting this crap.

I personally feel that AA is condescending to minorities because it implies that they need special help to succeed because of their race. It basically sends the message that minorities are inferior. Most people, including myself, who are against AA are not racist. In fact, because of our beliefs that all races are created equal and have the same abilities, we believe that AA is wrong. This actually makes us far more enlightened on the subject of race relations. Most professional minorities, including a couple of my professors, who are black, are all staunchly against AA for these reasons.

It certainly isn't a case, at least for most of us, of "not liking" minorities.

Lets either kill this conversation or take it elsewhere. I didn't realize that there already were so many threads pertaining to this. Stop the hijacking and hostility and lets give back the thread.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh
dont turn this int another AA thread Lizard!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Although that did appear to be somewhat of a hijacking, the true fault may actually lie in the creation of a "URM thread" in the midst of a forum that is for ALL med school hopefuls.

Ernham, by your logic we shouldn't have school-specific threads either, right? Why don't you go worry about something important (like trying to prove that your college math department is out to get its students) instead of trying to be a troll in a thread that doesn't concern you? :rolleyes:

Although that did appear to be somewhat of a hijacking, the true fault may actually lie in the creation of a "URM thread" in the midst of a forum that is for ALL med school hopefuls.

"Ernham, by your logic we shouldn't have school-specific threads either, right?"

Don't be coy. Or at least I'd hope a pre-med wouldn't be so stupid(a med student?... even worse.)

"Why don't you go worry about something important (like trying to prove that your college math department is out to get its students) instead of trying to be a troll in a thread that doesn't concern you?"

I attack illogic wherever I might happen to find(step in?) it.

Further, given the title of this thread, perhaps you might enlighten me as to why this thread doesn't concern me?

Just a friendly suggestion to the URM's posting on this thread, that when someone says something ignorant like some of the comments on this thread just ignore them. Believe me this is only the beginning of the "fight" you'll have to endure in your careers based on the color of your skin and gender too if you happen to be a woman. The sooner you learn to take the "high road" the better.

I would also ask my fellow URM"S to do your best to spread the word around about SDN to other minorities at your prospective schools. Most of the information I've seen here on SDN truly is useful to others yet SDN isn't very common knowledge among URM's.

So, has anyone started putting together their list of schools to apply to? My short list includes:

UPenn
UMaryland
GWU
Meharry

Sorry, I guess you are talking about me, I have been on SDN letting things go for to long and yes I WILL express my opinion when I get to medical school because the masses will surely express theirs. Letting things go is a way to let ugly pattens start so lets just say I'm the salt in the wound to keep it from getting infected. Cbpremed, I do apologize to you for adding gas to the fire in a positive thread like this. Oh and congradulations on all of your accomplishments, we need you. And keep up the encouragement I'm sure other folk on here are seeing your accomplishments as well as others and are inspired to continue on with their dream. Sorry just one more thing, to Ernham and Fmlizard, f you guys really want a better insight that would help maybe even make your arguents stronger and based more in reality check out these books, if you dare.

Makes Me Wanna Holler, by: Nathan McCall

Kaffir Boy, by: Mark Mathabane

Member of the Club, by: Lawrence Otis Graham.

For the record, I do not embrace AA, I embrace what's right.

Peace

-0-

this thread is about support, so anybody lurking around and not posting (believe me, i did this for months) don't be discouraged... there are people like you out there going through the same pre-med things you're going through. there's gonna be people discouraging you all throughout this process (and you're probably used to that) but use threads like these and the names you come across for support. if you don't feel comfortable posting you can pm me and i'm sure a lot of other people in this thread for help or questions along this process.

i can only comment on the schools that i've visited, but i felt that these schools had a very supportive urm environment: new jersey medical school, columbia, temple, suny-downstate, howard, and meharry.

ok, i'm about to go running to get my mind off of all this application stuff, enjoy the weekend (there's finally some sunshine here in ny!!)

........You may be right. However, if blacks as a whole continue to embrace such things as AA, so shall you reap - so shall you sow. And again, given your "arguments", it really seems as if you are on the wrong side of the fence. [/B][/QUOTE]

If you seriously think that AA is racism then you need to go read your dictionary for the meaning of racism. How about those who are not people of color that AA favors i.e women. While I may not not totally even favor AA, I think that for what it is it is what has always been. Someone has always been favored you can say rich white folks or white either way someone was favored Enough of this argument. Just here for support that's all. It was good, but you have quite a lot of things twisted. By the way how do you know that I am not white and poor? lol